Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A better way to carry my keys from RovyVon.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
A better way to carry my keys from RovyVon.
on: May 14, 2022, 07:04:07 AM
I was using one of those plastic tactical D carabiners to carry my keys and items off of a belt loop. For the most part, it worked great. It did have one issue, and as time ran on, it was a rather huge issue. If I was not careful, I ran the risk of opening the latch and possibly losing a key attached to one of several split rings. The most memorable issue was the time I lent my significant other the keys so that she could sit in the Jeep while I was still doing some shopping. It was only when we got home did I notice my Master work key was missing from the carabiner. We drove back to the parking lot and got lucky by finding the key on its split ring under an inch of snow. After that incident, I kept my eye on a better solution while religiously keeping track of all my keys on the D carabiner at all times. Well, I think I found a great solution, and I stumbled upon it after doing a bit more research on the RovyVon website in regards to their Aurora keychain flashlights. A while back, I bought the cheapest one I could find off of Amazon.ca. I liked it so much that I decided to buy another one and introduce it to my EDC. Now I have 2 Aurora A5x UV flashlights. One for the keychain, the other for my house. These little flashlights pack a punch with features.

1. Press and hold to have instant light. Release to shut the light off.
2. Double press the power button to turn the light on. In this mode, every single press of the power button will cycle through the various power modes.
3. Triple press the power button to activate the side lights. In this mode, press the power button once more to increase the power of the 2 LED side light. Press it once more to get into strobe mode.
4. Quadruple press the power button to activate the UV side light. I read that this mode is not an inspection UV light, but is used to charge the glow in the dark body. It works nicely on paper money.
5. Press and hold the power button to shut the flashlight off in all modes.

The glowing body is rather useful. I have found that just wearing it on your keychain off a pant belt loop does a great job of charging the glow. With a max lumen power of 650 lumens, this is a neat little light.

Anyhow, while doing some research, I stumbled upon the RovyVon U4 Ti carabiner. This one comes with a #11 scalpel and ruler markings on the one side. The whole thing is in titanium and weights hardly anything. I really like the more secure method and after a day of wearing it at work, I think I found my perfect solution.

Here are my 2 A5x UV Auroras, 1 riding shotgun with my keys attached to the new carabiner.
20220513_165827A by Chako, on Flickr

Turning the lights off really shows the glow.
20220513_165819A by Chako, on Flickr

This RovyVon U4 Ti should be more secure with the keys.
20220513_165847A by Chako, on Flickr

The other side of the carabiner.
20220513_165857A by Chako, on Flickr

Here is the #11 scalpel deployed. There is a 90 and 180 degree position. The blade does not lock in place however, but there are 2 detent positions. I was a bit worried that I might accidentally cut myself on the blade, but the carabiner does a good job of sinking it in so there should be little to no chance of pricking a finger in use.
20220513_165921A by Chako, on Flickr

So all in all, I am happy with this new solution. I loved my D carabiner but after a few close calls of almost loosing some of my keys, I think this could just be my perfect solution...and I wouldn't have known about this one except for visiting RovyVon's web site. There is also another carabiner minus the sharps listed on their web site. I like the added utility of having the scalpel on it however. I know it will come in useful. Oh and there is an extra scalpel blade included in the package.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: A better way to carry my keys from RovyVon.
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 08:00:33 AM
The carabiner looks good :tu:
Personally I would skip the scalpel though.

Sent fra min M2002J9G via Tapatalk

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 09:03:17 PM

I got introduced to Rovyvon by Jon Gadget on Youtube, and own the A8x (shown) and larger A28u.  Both are Powernoodle Approved. Pic is from the current Swisstool Challenge.  I'll definitely check out the RovyVon U4 Ti carabiner.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 06:41:41 AM
I've had a Rovyvon A5x (with the UV light) and it's fantastic, I even preordered the E3 Angel Eyes as a Christmas gift from the missus and it has also been excellent, will definitely be checking out more of their gear  :tu:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 03:17:19 PM
I also have the A5 which for me is a perfect keychain light.  I'll also check out the biner tho I'd likely skip the scalpel as well.  Thanks Chako. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 11:09:15 PM
 :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: June 16, 2022, 05:07:29 AM
Update:

I am overly happy with the carabiner. That scalpel blade has come to good use quite a few times. The design ensures that any keys attached will not accidentally come off as I remove the carabiners from my belt loop. I think I may have found my ideal solution.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44