Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

NOTICE TO MEMBERS USING THE BREAK ROOM

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
NOTICE TO MEMBERS USING THE BREAK ROOM
on: December 20, 2009, 05:15:47 PM
As of this point, there have been numerous threads based on politics, religion and other sensitive and often offensive topics that have created a certain amount of divisiveness amongst members, and has incurred a significant amount of time and effort for the moderators to attempt to contain.  Moderators here are volunteers, and many who have things going on in their own lives and yet still manage to do an extraordinary job keeping the peace here.

I am hereby making an executive decision, which I have not yet informed the Moderator staff of, and yet am confident they will support, that any threads containing anything we deem as offensive or possibly offensive will be locked immediately and may also be deleted, as the situation warrants.  We have, until this point, tried to allow members to explore certain topics, and while I personally believe they have gone farther than they could have on other forums, the result was to divide members of this community.  Myself, and the moderator staff have worked hard to build this community into the friendly place it is for the most part, and I can't imagine any of us, moderators or members, would like to see that destroyed.

The Moderator staff is also a bit thick skinned for the most part- one needs a certain amount of "unoffendability" to do a job like that, and so while we do (in my opinion, please feel free to PM or email me if you feel differently) manage to get most things, there will always be things we miss, and so I am asking you, the users of this site, to please use the "report Post" option on anything that you feel is something that may bother you or others.

From here on in, I am personally banning threads of a political, cultural or religious nature from Multitool.org.  "Hate Speech" and/or anything determined to be hateful or hurtful will not be tolerated.  It never was before, but in the past it has been addressed after the fact and in private with the offending members.  In the future, Moderator staff will be encouraged to deal with these topics much more pro-actively in order to keep members from losing interest in this forum, the community, and possibly multitool collecting in general.

This isn't supposed to be some kind of "Big Brother" censorship, and so I am personally going to take a step out of the loop, not enforcing any of this, and instead, acting more like an ombudsman for members.  If you feel that a Moderator has taken an inappropriate action, I encourage you to contact me privately about it, and I will review what happens and attempt to resolve the issue in the best interests of everyone.  I'm not sure if this feature is common knowledge or not, but the software here that we use now logs any and all deleted posts/threads, and that is available to all the Moderator and Admin staff, so if you think you have no evidence to support your side because it's been deleted, don't worry, I can access them anyway.  This feature was installed for a completely different reason, but I see no reason why it can't be used to a more direct member benefit.

As always, I can be reached via PM or email at any time, or through any of the following Off Forum methods.

MSN- Defmobile@hotmail.com
Yahoo- Multitooldotorg
GTalk (Google)- sosak001@gmail.com
Skype (I'm not always logged into Skype, please send me a PM, email etc if you wish to contact me via Skype)- Realdef
Phone or Text Message- (902) 233-8888

I sincerely hope that with this, we can all move ahead for a brighter tomorrow here on Multitool.org, and get back to what's really important- tool use and collecting.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: NOTICE TO MEMBERS USING THE BREAK ROOM
Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 05:20:05 PM
sounds fair :multi:
:like:    :MTO:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 03:38:28 AM
It does indeed sound fair.

The vast majority of people and their willingness to share their knowledge are just the way we all like them to be on MT.O, and I think you've now covered off the rare occasions where things can get a bit nasty or divisive.

The mods here do a great job and need no defence in my eyes at least. It's tricky to remain open and democratic and avoid accusations of censorship, whilst preventing inflammatory things from being posted and trying to keep the peace! I'm sure everyone can see that.

It's only my opinion of course, but banning the discussion of things that are now proven to be divisive is absolutely the right way to go and we can all talk about tools and sharp stuff and the things we came here for in the first place.

So you have my permission :D

Seriously - keep up the good work guys. I waste invest so much time here because it is fundamentally a great place that's run well, and I think this move will help to keep it that way Def - so thanks  :cheers:

I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 03:43:21 AM
Good on ya Def. This forum continues to grow and with new members come new personalities that need to be properly acclimated and accommodated in certain ways. I feel this is a fair ruling, there are plenty of places to talk controversial topics; we're all multi-tool guys here and we should stick to what the forum is really about.

:cheers:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 03:49:19 AM
To follow on from Spoony's post, we have had loads of new people come to the forum in this last week seeking advice on tools and every one of them has been welcomed and given great advice.

That's something for us all to be proud of IMO, and is what this place is all about.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 04:57:01 AM
Sounds like a plan to me. You and the mods do a great job day in day out. I would pressed to find a better run forum or nicer people running it. Thank you for having this great place to hang out.
Mike
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 05:22:14 AM by Mike 56 »
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 05:13:09 AM
It does indeed sound fair.

The vast majority of people and their willingness to share their knowledge are just the way we all like them to be on MT.O, and I think you've now covered off the rare occasions where things can get a bit nasty or divisive.

The mods here do a great job and need no defence in my eyes at least. It's tricky to remain open and democratic and avoid accusations of censorship, whilst preventing inflammatory things from being posted and trying to keep the peace! I'm sure everyone can see that.

It's only my opinion of course, but banning the discussion of things that are now proven to be divisive is absolutely the right way to go and we can all talk about tools and sharp stuff and the things we came here for in the first place.

So you have my permission :D

Seriously - keep up the good work guys. I waste invest so much time here because it is fundamentally a great place that's run well, and I think this move will help to keep it that way Def - so thanks  :cheers:

Oh Geez, Dave agrees with me... I best re-think what I'm saying then as it must be wrong!   :ahhh

Just kidding- I'm glad that you guys are in agreement with this.  I have tried to allow topics to go as long as they were constructive, but the problem is that by the time they become nonconstructive, it's too late, and the damage is done. 

The Mods here do an excellent job, and while they occasionally do things differently than I would have, I think that is the whole point of having them here.  If I wanted robots to carry out my whims, well I'd probably have Whoey build me some, and allow Ben to have more kids, allow Mike the time to chase more women, and Dunc would probably have another job to fill in the void the forum used to fill!

The other great things is, as much as I ask of them, the Mods rarely have much to do, as the membership here are excellent at maintaining the atmosphere here that I have always wanted in a forum.  Sometimes goofy, often off topic, but serious when something is needed, be it helping Philippinos who have lost everything in floods, or just someone who needs help choosing a multitool to fill their individual needs.  I'm proud of what we have all contributed to building here, and I know I am not going to give any of it up easily.

I also know that a decree from the owner of many other sites that anything deemed offensive be immediately shut down would conjure up all kinds of bad vibes, and to be honest, I wasn't overly comfortable with the "Big Brother" kind of feel to it, but it seems that you guys have some kind of faith in the Mods here, and that's great to hear.  Of course in many cases, the Mods are the worst offenders for taking things off track, posting lewd pictures or making bizarre comments, but I guess that goes to show how strict they are likely to be!

As I said, I am available to just about anyone who wants to talk or has any questions, concerns or problems- as I have always tried to be.  I'm not really the hate filled ogre people seem to think I am!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 05:23:34 AM
I would say good move, after all the only other thing you could is make a secret subforum called "belligerent bay," as a place for us to take a swing at one another :D

I agree the Mods on here are great :tu:

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 05:42:51 AM
100% behind you, boss! :tu:

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 05:43:20 AM
I totally agree with you, Def.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 06:21:28 AM
Just to add, i go on many other forums on different subjects,and one ive been on for 5 years,but this forum has a nice feel to it and ive been helped out every time ive asked for it, you guys deserve a big pat on the back for a great site with some very helpful members, sadly some subjects always cause problems i stay out,we all have a common passion and that's what i stick to,keep up the good work, just to say i sold my collection on mainly military knives back in 95 i had over 120 i collected them from a age of 13 and loved them, i was gutted to sell them but needs must at the time, ive now got my passion back and its MT and SAK's that i like now as there such useful tools on a day to day basis , so im so glad i found this site and glad to be back into it again,

thanks

paul  :climber:   

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 06:23:34 AM
I hope from now on I won't have to experience intolerance from other forum member which I can only describe as ironic.
(

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 11:25:41 AM
I hope from now on I won't have to experience intolerance from other forum member which I can only describe as ironic.

Quoted, so if you edit it, others can still see it.

I'm going through the proper channels this time.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 12:17:50 PM
CHOCOLATE CHIP!!  :ahhh

(That's the safety word isn't it?)

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 12:31:27 PM
Sounds like a good plan Def  :tu: :tu:

There are some people here who do not like Vic Spirits  :o :o & others who think Leatherman just exist too rust  :ahhh :ahhh.

They ain't never going  to agree with me on these important issues never mind such minor things like politics & religion. :P :D.

I am excessively fond of this place ::) :D :D & hopeful these changes will help too keep it such a great place to waste time & talk bull  :D :salute: :salute:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 12:35:52 PM
I'd just like to see what happens if someone goes to a political or religious forum and asks if they prefer the Charge or the Spirit?  :D

Def

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 12:37:09 PM
Sadly there will always be some idiots (that would choose the Spirit:P

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 12:54:47 PM
Well one could argue that the Charge is clearly a Political name, and the Spirit, that of Religion. Hence the diverse polarity of such statements can only lead to strife and an over abundance of punch buggy!  :D

In all seriousness, I was a moderator on a forum that had a politics section. It degenerated rather quickly into a sort of quasi Anti Canadian/Anti American tug of war where people would go into the fray just to abuse the other side’s view points. It was all rather childish, and thankfully, I did not have to monitor that cesspit, er, section. I quickly concluded from actual observation, that intellectual debate is not possible from people who are secluded in the safety of their own homes. I think to have a good debate; you have to be out in the public with a bit of fear coursing through the veins to keep it all amicable.

No fears Grant, You won't be catching me proselytizing on politics and religion.  :salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 01:00:30 PM
CHOCOLATE CHIP!!  :ahhh

(That's the safety word isn't it?)

DUUUUHHHH!! We all know that the safety word is Acetylcholinesterase.......

There are some people here who do not like Vic Spirits  :o :o & others who think Leatherman just exist too rust  :ahhh :ahhh.

And a little glimps at a Leatherman funeral

Ashes to ashes, rust to rust.
Rust thou art, and unto rust thou shalt return (Genesis 3:19)
I will bring thee to rust upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee (Ezekiel 28:18)
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 01:03:46 PM
Well one could argue that the Charge is clearly a Political name, and the Spirit, that of Religion. Hence the diverse polarity of such statements can only lead to strife and an over abundance of punch buggy!  :D

In all seriousness, I was a moderator on a forum that had a politics section. It degenerated rather quickly into a sort of quasi Anti Canadian/Anti American tug of war where people would go into the fray just to abuse the other side’s view points. It was all rather childish, and thankfully, I did not have to monitor that cesspit, er, section. I quickly concluded from actual observation, that intellectual debate is not possible from people who are secluded in the safety of their own homes. I think to have a good debate; you have to be out in the public with a bit of fear coursing through the veins to keep it all amicable.

No fears Grant, You won't be catching me proselytizing on politics and religion.  :salute:

Dude, South Park the Movie ???

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 21, 2009, 02:16:28 PM

Dave I showed intolerance to a group of people that includes a minority of people that practice intorerance. Since then you have showed me intolerance(which makes you as bad as me). I am tired of this its ruining my experience here and we need to resolve it now. Maybe we can try PM or the chatroom.

(

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Reply #21 on: December 21, 2009, 02:40:55 PM
We come here to talk about shiny, useful bits of metal.  Let's just move on from here, no discussion needed. 
:)

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 21, 2009, 02:44:24 PM
Acetylcholinesterase!!!!!!!

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #23 on: December 21, 2009, 02:48:53 PM
I knew I knew that word!  I just looked it up and agree it is an appropriate safe word or abbreviation AChE  LOL!   :tu:
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #24 on: December 21, 2009, 03:21:23 PM
Very nice boss,  :salute: :cheers:

You and the Mods are about the best their are and do a great job.
now about a "lewd picture" section...

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: December 21, 2009, 03:31:28 PM

Dave I showed intolerance to a group of people that includes a minority of people that practice intorerance. Since then you have showed me intolerance(which makes you as bad as me). I am tired of this its ruining my experience here and we need to resolve it now. Maybe we can try PM or the chatroom.

If you really believe that my condemnation of racism and homophobia is as bad as you being a racist and a homophobe, then you are even more deluded than I thought.

Don't ever try to compare yourself to me. You disgust me.

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: December 21, 2009, 03:36:07 PM
I am not a racist I don't think white people are superior. I don't know where you get that idea at but you are wrong.
(

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #27 on: December 21, 2009, 03:46:01 PM
A

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: December 21, 2009, 04:02:33 PM
I would like to aplogise for breaking the rules.
(

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Reply #29 on: December 21, 2009, 04:07:20 PM
This thread is degenerating rapidly and is not in the spirit of the post itself.

Let's play nice, it's almost Christmas.  Love your fellow man.  Make peace not War. 

I don't care what it takes but let's get back to the fun stuff, I don't come to Mt.org for stuff like this, I come here to relieve stress, not to enhance it.
:)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD