Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

small tinker/large tinker ?

Zed · 36 · 4472

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
small tinker/large tinker ?
on: December 22, 2009, 07:42:09 AM
Im thinking about getting a tinker as its tools seem spot on for me, plus it goes back many years, i noticed in the 1967 catalog a small 84mm tinker , when did vic's do the 91mm version and is the 84mm harder to get hold of, for me although possibly the Phillips is a awkward tool to use i would rather have that than a corkscrew that i never use, does anyone else like the tinker and thanks for any info on this model,

paul

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: small tinker/large tinker ?
Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 07:44:51 AM
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 08:53:54 AM
Is it necessary for it to be new? Cause 2nd hand they are fairly cheap the only advantage of 91mm tinker in my books is that you can fit 'plus' scales (straight pin and pen)

but deep down you really want a wenger highlander don't you, the semi serrated blade version being a willing trade off for the can openers small screwdriver....

i got one for my dad, i was going to get one for myself but i really want a metal file and locking blade  :D
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 09:05:14 AM
Used 84mm are still fairly common :)

It'd start looking here first mate http://felinevet.sosakonline.com/index.php?keyword=tinker&Search=Search&Itemid=1&option=com_phpshop&page=shop.browse  :)

cheers mike another saved to favorites  :tu: im liking the U.S. Flag Super Tinker something different 

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 12:28:05 PM
Felinevet is a banner member so supporting him supports us.
I'm back!!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 02:10:10 PM
+1 for the catman. You'll be hard pushed to find better value used tools and he ships fast at a sensible cost too.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 02:24:09 PM
thanks for all the help guys, i was after a model that had been around for a while , i like the highlander and was considering it but i want the little extra screwdriver  ;) old or new dont matter as will get used, im retiring my climber as my main EDC and wanted something with a few less tools that i didnt use on the climber ,

thanks again 

paul

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 06:23:21 PM
Is it necessary for it to be new? Cause 2nd hand they are fairly cheap the only advantage of 91mm tinker in my books is that you can fit 'plus' scales (straight pin and pen)

but deep down you really want a wenger highlander don't you, the semi serrated blade version being a willing trade off for the can openers small screwdriver....

i got one for my dad, i was going to get one for myself but i really want a metal file and locking blade  :D

Rotokid offers 84mm plus scales as well.  I like the 84mm version better, but just because of the size.

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 06:43:48 PM

Rotokid offers 84mm plus scales as well.  I like the 84mm version better, but just because of the size.

Does he still?  I remember hearing about them a long time back, and Catman still has one Sportsman II Plus, IIRC, but I've not seen the 84mm Plus scales at Rotokid's shop, not that I've looked too deeply, though.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 07:05:00 PM
thanks for all the help guys, i was after a model that had been around for a while , i like the highlander and was considering it but i want the little extra screwdriver  ;) old or new dont matter as will get used, im retiring my climber as my main EDC and wanted something with a few less tools that i didnt use on the climber ,

thanks again 

paul

The old 84mm Tinkers are out there. In fact, for the older knives, I see about the same number of 84mm tinkers as 91mm tinkers. If you get one old enough (68 or earlier) the Phillips will have a file on it, which is a bonus.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 07:49:12 PM

thanks again 

paul

The old 84mm Tinkers are out there. In fact, for the older knives, I see about the same number of 84mm tinkers as 91mm tinkers. If you get one old enough (68 or earlier) the Phillips will have a file on it, which is a bonus.

i like the sound of a tinker with a extra  ;) i dont mind the 91mm size but wondered if that model was around at the same time as the 84mm, ive seen the 84 in old catalogs,

paul

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 08:39:52 PM
From what I remember, the 91mm Tinker was intended for the North American purchasers, since the 84mm Tinker seems to be prevalent in Europe and elsewhere; beyond that, however, all I can say is that both the 84mm and 91mm Tinkers feel good in the hand.  :tu:

As to if you want scissors, however, unless you find an old Stockman, you'll have to go for a Super Tinker, I'm afraid.  On that note, I wonder if I still have my Stockman.  :think:  I think I'll need to go collection diving later tonight.  :D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 09:01:00 PM
From what I remember, the 91mm Tinker was intended for the North American purchasers, since the 84mm Tinker seems to be prevalent in Europe and elsewhere; beyond that, however, all I can say is that both the 84mm and 91mm Tinkers feel good in the hand.  :tu:

As to if you want scissors, however, unless you find an old Stockman, you'll have to go for a Super Tinker, I'm afraid.  On that note, I wonder if I still have my Stockman.  :think:  I think I'll need to go collection diving later tonight.  :D

thaks mate, no i dont need scissors as got my climber for that, plus carry a esquire for scissor work  ;)  :cheers:

paul

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 10:31:01 PM

its not on sakwiki.... share with us....  :pok:
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 10:54:43 PM

yeah i dont think there is any history on there about the tinker,

paul

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 11:11:10 PM
You'll find 91mm Tinkers for sale on a few British sites, but not the 84mm. :(  If you want the 84mm (and you do BTW :tu:) you'll have to go further afield than the UK.  Well worth it though, the 84mm Tinker Small is a great pocket SAK. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009, 12:05:10 AM
You'll find 91mm Tinkers for sale on a few British sites, but not the 84mm. :(  If you want the 84mm (and you do BTW :tu:) you'll have to go further afield than the UK.  Well worth it though, the 84mm Tinker Small is a great pocket SAK. :)
Alright, now I want a 84mm Tinker.   :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #17 on: December 23, 2009, 12:19:23 AM
I'll pick one up for you tomorrow Kelly, shouldn't be more than twelve dollars. :)

Want anything else while I'm at it?

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 12:54:44 AM

Try this - http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Salesman. Super Tinker and Salesman are the only names I've ever seen for these knives. Maybe Stockman is a Euro name? From the old catalogs I've found online, I've only ever seen Vic refer to this knife as a "Super Tinker" - even in 84mm.

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 01:26:23 AM
i was kind of hoping it was like a 84mm golfer/compact with the philips  :think:

Until Sazabi says otherwise i can still fantasize on the possibility  :D but since the super tinker was mentioned its probably a salesman
- Terry Pratchett

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 01:29:59 AM
i was kind of hoping it was like a 84mm golfer/compact with the philips  :think:

Until Sazabi says otherwise i can still fantasize on the possibility  :D but since the super tinker was mentioned its probably a salesman

Yeah, it would be a Salesman/Stockman.  I accidentally interchange the names, but hey, with informal names, anything works.  So yes, it can still be called Golfer. Not really.  :D

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #21 on: December 23, 2009, 06:06:10 AM
Im thinking about getting a tinker as its tools seem spot on for me, plus it goes back many years, i noticed in the 1967 catalog a small 84mm tinker , when did vic's do the 91mm version and is the 84mm harder to get hold of, for me although possibly the Phillips is a awkward tool to use i would rather have that than a corkscrew that i never use, does anyone else like the tinker and thanks for any info on this model,

paul

(Image removed from quote.)

There has been some sort of TINKER in my pocket every day for over 25 years, so I must like that model.

In fact, I consider the TINKER to the absolute best SAK that Vic has ever made.

Minimalist, two layer, easily pocketable SAK that has everything I really need, but nothing I don't really need.

I prefer the small TINKER - its slightly shorter length and lesser bulk make it more comfortable in the pocket.  But I've often EDCed a regular TINKER when a small wasn't available.

N

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: December 23, 2009, 08:04:03 AM
Thanks again guys, i think ill go for the 91mm as i usualy carry a climber but i want to lose the scissors and replace the corkscrew with a Phillips so both sizes would be fine , i like the look of the tinker and its spot on for me, ill see what comes along as waiting on funds at the mo,  :tu:

paul

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: December 24, 2009, 04:32:06 AM
I have  both: the Tinker and Tinker Small. Both are great.

The Tinker Small vanishes in your pocket. The bottle opener on the Tinker Small is a little short for the job, but can get it down after a few goes (I had to pry the cap from two different angles to get it off, the tool is a little short to leverage the cap off in one go). Other than that, it can do everything that a 91mm Tinker can do.

00 Offline Bill.H

Reply #24 on: December 24, 2009, 04:40:52 AM
I hate you guys!

... adds yet another knife to his list ....

:D :D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: December 24, 2009, 11:10:47 AM
I hate you guys!

... adds yet another knife to his list ....

:D :D

:rofl: i feel the same everytime i come on here  :D  :ahhh

thanks again guys, i was going to order a large tinker but they sold out so ill wait now till after the holidays  :tu:

paul

Reply #26 on: December 24, 2009, 07:18:33 PM
Good choice mate :)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: December 24, 2009, 07:23:06 PM

cheers mike im going to get a classic as well , i think these 2 will suit me fine,

paul

Reply #28 on: December 24, 2009, 07:30:35 PM

cheers mike im going to get a classic as well , i think these 2 will suit me fine,

paul
You still need a Farmer though :pok: :pok: :D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: December 24, 2009, 07:42:24 PM

paul
You still need a Farmer though :pok: :pok: :D

:rofl: that i do mate, and im sure i will get one in time, my list is long,
tinker,
soldier,
pioneer ,
classic red alox,
highlander orange scales,
another everyday climber,
A FARMER lol
swiss champ,

LM wave new model
LM charge,
LM micra,

gerber crunch,
 and there is alot more i cant think of lol, im off to do a night shift now, with my esquire ready to cut the bandages  ;) back 08.20 everyone have a good one,

paul  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD