Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

You know you have a problem when...

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
You know you have a problem when...
on: June 08, 2007, 04:13:05 PM
I got myself a bike tool today, and I still have yet to get myself a bike!   ;D

I'm a little disappointed- I only found out last night that the city's annual bike auction was last weekend.  >:(  Oh well, no worries- I might still get one this summer.

Meanwhile, I am pleasantly surprised by the Schwinn 18 in 1 tool I picked up.  It was about $20 and I figured what the heck- I remember Schwinn used to be the big guys back in my biking days, and thought it wouldn't be too bad.  I really haven't had much of a chance to do more than dig it out of the package, but it seems like a fairly well constructed tool so far.  I also like the fact that these are not simply "bike tools."  You don;t actually need a bike to find something like this handy.  It features a number of wrenches and allen keys and a phillips and flathead screwdriver, all in a simple tool that splits into two pieces.  That seems like a handy function, and one I wish more multitool manufacturers would take into account.

It comes in a rubber sheath which is nice, but I wish it had a belt clip or loop on it.  To me, that's the whole point of a sheath.  If it doesn't help you carry it, what good is it?

Def
schwinn01.JPG
* schwinn01.JPG (Filesize: 63.3 KB)
schwinn03.JPG
* schwinn03.JPG (Filesize: 37.7 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Re: You know you have a problem when...
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 04:23:22 PM
Another drawback that I see right away is the ABS plastic handles.  I personally would rather see anodized aluminum but I guess that would increase the cost too much.

However these are just minor things.  The tool seems to be quite well constructed (made in Taiwan, not China) and the wrenches on the larger piece of the tool lock open.  That's a really nice feature, even though I don't see it as necessary.  If you needed to, you could always turn the wrench around to turn the nut the other way without risk of it folding on you.  I like the idea that a manufacturer is going the extra distance and putting in some nice touches.

Lastly, if you are anything like me, you have a pile of allen keys in a section of your toolbox (if you are lucky enough to have them all in one place!) that are bouncing around loosely, and the one size you use most is usually missing.  Darn kids...   >:D  This (and other bike tools) keeps the handiest sizes, well, handy!

Carried with a regular, decently outfitted multitool, the only redundancy you'd have would be a phillips and flathead driver, and you'd be significantly increasing your abilities whether you have a bike or not.  I doubt very much that this will be my last bike tool!  Maybe someday I'll get around to getting a matching bike too!

Def
schwinn02.JPG
* schwinn02.JPG (Filesize: 77.79 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 04:59:16 PM
You got a bargain there. The finish looks times better than the Bell. Bike multis have a ton of usues around the house,especially if you don't feel like going to the tool box.For some reason Taiwan appears to be the leader in bike multi manufacturing..I suppose it has a lot to do with so many frames made there..and really good quality frames at that.
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 05:10:54 PM
Once in a while Canadian Tire has some good stuff at good prices! :D  Most of the time it's good stuff at reasonable prices or cheap stuff at cheap prices...

This was the last 18 in 1 they had there- the rest were 16 in 1's so I don;t know if I got a good deal on the 18 or whether they are overcharging for the 16!  Either way, it seems like a very handy little tool, and I think it's going to go on an extended test with me next week.  We'll see how well it stands up to some hard use on an Arctic Cat and Honda 250!

Def

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 06:38:33 PM
Cycling tools have really come along way recently, have,nt they :)

get a gerber cool tool there great and nigh on indestructable to boot!

on a personal note, def you should get yourself a bike as my left foots pretty duff too, but has got quite a bit better since i started cycling everyday :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 09:12:23 PM
My inner Scot is very annoyed that I missed the cheap bikes at the auction, so I bought our local buy & sell and have been looking at them there.  Of course I would rather get a kayak first, what with living on a lake and all...

Def

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 09:27:20 PM
My inner Scot is very annoyed that I missed the cheap bikes at the auction, so I bought our local buy & sell and have been looking at them there.  Of course I would rather get a kayak first, what with living on a lake and all...

Def
I,d love a kayak or a canoe, even if i am a crap swimmer, infact i make a good example of a brick while swimming
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 09:32:24 PM
I have been looking for a decent price on a used kayak or canoe for a while now.  I'd like to get one to help keep in shape since I can't go jogging and the middle aged spread is out in full force.

Plus, being on a lake which is part of a much larger canal system means that I have lots of places to go!

Def

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 10:33:00 PM
Def, have you tried the local pawn shops or yard sales for bikes..there's no Blue Book(yet) for bike prices,you might find a pawn broker that's willing to haggle on price.Last Saturday,I stopped at a yard sale,and picked up Diamondback road bike for $3.00..all that's needed are new tubes,tires,and a litttle TLC. For the price I paid,I can afford to splurge on better grade tires,and tubes.
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 10:47:27 PM
That's what I had in mind, but it'll have to wait till I get home... At least then I'd save enough on the bike to get more bike tools!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%