Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Where do you see LM in 10, 20, or 30 years?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Where do you see LM in 10, 20, or 30 years?
Reply #30 on: July 23, 2007, 01:56:08 PM
I know that I am drifting a little off topic but I witness this phenomenon first hand everyday.  I am not bragging, but I work very very hard everyday to insure that I do the highest quality work (it runs in the family) there is never a day when I do not give 100% to what I am doing.  There are others that work with me that really dont care yet they wonder why they recieve such low marks at their job.       

Well said sir! I see a lot of folks who are just "coasting" through at work. They wonder why they never get ahead in life.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #31 on: July 23, 2007, 02:10:09 PM
I think it should be mandatory for folks to spend 6 weeks working in different countries.  I always feel lazy when I think a 60-70 hour work week is hard.

Our own technician here, Esteban, works 6 days a week, and although Saturday is a half day for him, he often puts in at least as many hours then as he does through the week.  I often see him at work at 9 or 10 in the morning until at least 8 or 9 in the evening- and many times later. 

I used to work with a former Russian cop who worked two full and one part time job just to fill in his days because the drop in hours was too much for him when he got here.  He was bored.  An old landlord of mine, who was Polish (I imagine he still is!) used to work from six in the morning until at least ten at night, then spend time with family and friends until at least midnight.  He did that every day of the week.

It's our "modern" lifestyle I think that feeds the "something for nothing" mentality and the laziness that results.  The worst part is, you get a guy who has done the same entry level job for twenty years and he feels he needs a bonus for that. 

All in all I think that is what is killing the American makers.  I doubt Spyderco, Benchmade or Leatherman is paying their line workers minimum wage, because they want people who know what they are doing and will stick around rather than have to train in a high turnover.  If you figure conservatively at $10/hour plus benefits, you are looking at a substantial decrease in cost by moving overseas where the labor rate is less than a dollar/day and the workers feel much more fulfilled and do just as good, if not better jobs.

This is why Leatherman is at the high end of the price list, and why Victorinox can put out a better constructed (anyone want to argue the fit and finish angle?:P) tool at half the cost.

It's sad but I think companies like Leatherman are eventually going to price themselves out of the market, just like many other good old fashioned names like Harley Davidson.  Other than the name, there's little left of that legacy either, and many bikers, the ones who created most of the legacy are now riding Yamaha and Honda.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline AJ

Reply #32 on: July 23, 2007, 02:39:48 PM
It would be nice to work with people like you CQC-7.

There are others that work with me that really dont care

Yeah, that sucks and when the owner/boss is one of them....    ::)

[

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #33 on: July 23, 2007, 05:21:41 PM
I know that I might pay a heafty price for a tool crafted in the USA.  However, if they make a good product I really dont mind paying the extra cost but it must be made correctly.  I was watching history channel international on saturday, they visited the Victorinox factory.  If it wasn't for the views of the knives being assembled I would have though that I was watching a S&W gunsmith assemble one of their fine revolvers.  The workers there were taking great care in assembleing their knives checking and rechecking their work.  Like the swordsmith of old times their product is the result of their precise craft.

As for work issues.  I took my current job in Oct. of last year.  I work for one of the largest companies in the world.  7 months later I get employee of the month.  The result, I have no friends there at least not among the people on my same level, management loves me though.  We are judged by our output with 95% being acceptable.  A couple nights ago the crew "laid down" and pulled 102% as a team because they didn't like the answer to one of their questions at the startup meeting.  Individually I was at 127% when I logged out, the closest person to me was at 101%.  These people wonder why they dont advance.  I work with a guy from Mexico (another emplyee of the month) he does the same as me only he is faster and on another shift.  There are still some people out there that care and the cream does eventually rise to the top.               

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #34 on: July 27, 2007, 12:27:53 AM
I don't think anyone has mentioned sharpeners yet. They include them in their hunting knives, do you think they might expand that direction at all, or do you think thats all we'll see?

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #35 on: July 27, 2007, 04:45:56 PM
I dont know.  A sharpener seems to be a logical tool to include with a multitool.  I'd like to see a combo sharpener that can sharpen serrated edges on some of the tools that have them.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #36 on: July 04, 2018, 12:33:37 PM
Today's Dirty Dozen Thread Necro is pretty cool, since it was us speculating on where Leatherman would be in the future.  What makes this cool is that it was started eleven years ago, so we can see how some of our speculations worked out!

Leatherman may not have innovated with different materials like I thought, but it seems that I did hit the flashlight aspect right on the head!  They started with their own branded lights (which were rebranded Fenix lights if I recall) and then moving into buying out the dedicated flashlight company, LED Lenser.

Who wants to speculate on what is coming in the next decade?  :D

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #37 on: July 04, 2018, 01:00:19 PM
Today's Dirty Dozen Thread Necro is pretty cool, since it was us speculating on where Leatherman would be in the future.  What makes this cool is that it was started eleven years ago, so we can see how some of our speculations worked out!

Leatherman may not have innovated with different materials like I thought, but it seems that I did hit the flashlight aspect right on the head!  They started with their own branded lights (which were rebranded Fenix lights if I recall) and then moving into buying out the dedicated flashlight company, LED Lenser.

Who wants to speculate on what is coming in the next decade?  :D

Def

Cool to see some familiar names here. Too bad they don't come around much any more...

As for the next decade: this will be a memorabilia site, since awl cutting implements will be banned and you'll be eating pills, so as not to need using anything sharp, even at home.

:-[ :-[

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #38 on: July 04, 2018, 01:19:52 PM
Funny you should say that- I recall seeing a public interest piece on TV back in the 80's where I think a Japanese scientist had created a nutrient film that included everything your body needed to survive.  You simply peeled it off the backing paper and ate it.  The presenter made a point of saying that no longer would you need forks or chopsticks to eat in the future, all you would need is a pair of scissors.

So I guess all of the Rebar and SuperTool owners out there are going to starve.  :P

Def

fi Offline temo

Reply #39 on: July 04, 2018, 01:58:06 PM
I don't think anyone has mentioned sharpeners yet. They include them in their hunting knives, do you think they might expand that direction at all, or do you think thats all we'll see?
Again gerber is selling knives where you change blades. I think it is better business then selling knife and a good sharpener that would go for years. I personally would like sharpener idea. I removed ceramic stick from cheap sharpener and something like that would easily travel with MT.

Other way of thinking is where you need tools in future. It would be better to make things those people can fix. Car, bikes, scooters, household machines. Nature I think remains so survival theme should remain. Make fire, fishing, eating, camping, gardening and so on. Hobbied are one major thing as well where MTs can be used. So far as people want to build stuff, mod stuff, repair stuff etc MTs should have market.

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #40 on: July 04, 2018, 02:25:21 PM
It was very fun to go through this thread, and I saw lots of good predictions  :D

it probably won't be long until we see some Leatherman flashlights, either coupled with the tool or just Leatherman brand lights.

Leatherman is also likely to start producing some (more) Leatherman branded watches, and selling them in broader markets.  I can see them being similar to (and possibly provided by) Timex or Casio because they keep with the "tough" type reputation of multitools.

Def

yes, they did the LED Lenser lights which I liked and still have,
and yes, they expanded into the watch world with their new Tempo  :salute:

good guessing Boss!

One major thing Leatherman can do is make a one handed opening plier.  Another move they can make is have their tools be user servicable...use a standard 6 point torx bit, or a 1/4" bolt in the construction and let the guy who actually BUYS and USES the tool either modify it, loosen/tighten it, or take it apart for cleaning...

they did the OHT short after this thread  :whistle:
and they made newer tools with Torx bits (albeit Security ones  :P) so we have it easier to tinker with them  :gimme:

So it would be really exciting to see the direction LM take the freestyle in, maybe itll be a one off, maybe theyll spawn a whole line of tools from them.

we had the Skeletool and variations, which essentially shared the "minimalist" idea of basic tools that the Freestyle had  :tu:

In 10 years I see LM in Portland, Oregon.

they are still here, with no intention of moving and bigger than ever!  :cheers:

the Signal was the pioneer in this, with its included sharpener in the handles  :angel:

I dont know.  A sharpener seems to be a logical tool to include with a multitool.  I'd like to see a combo sharpener that can sharpen serrated edges on some of the tools that have them.

it was logical and finally done, and the Signal has a serrated edge which I think you can sharpen with its own sharpener  :think: :tu:

I enjoyed a lot reading this!   :like:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: July 04, 2018, 06:08:25 PM

So I guess all of the Rebar and SuperTool owners out there are going to starve.  :P

Def

Not all...   >:D

My VXes both have scissors
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 06:09:26 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #42 on: July 04, 2018, 06:21:26 PM

Def

I don't see how your Exes are going to help you, even if they do have scissors.  ::)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: July 04, 2018, 07:02:46 PM

So I guess all of the Rebar and SuperTool owners out there are going to starve. 

Def

I don't see how your Exes are going to help you, even if they do have scissors.  ::)
An ex with scissors... sounds like the beginning of a frightening evening... :dwts:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #44 on: July 04, 2018, 07:08:10 PM

Def

An ex with scissors... sounds like the beginning of a frightening evening... :dwts:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: July 04, 2018, 07:14:52 PM
We seem to have gotten a lot more hits than misses with our predictions, that's for sure!

I'm almost embarrassed to say that i thought we'd see new materials, but i guess i wasnt too far off the mark- we have seen Damascus added to the list since then.   :facepalm:

Def

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: July 04, 2018, 07:15:47 PM
And Cerakote?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: July 04, 2018, 07:21:52 PM
I suppose... I consider that more of a coating than a material, but I guess it qualifies.  Maybe I was on to something after all when I mentioned ceramics!

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #48 on: July 04, 2018, 07:50:12 PM
And Cerakote?

Sorry, only found Damascus...

8) 8)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: July 04, 2018, 09:45:50 PM
And Cerakote?

and the weird plastic composites in the Signal, the rigid nylon synthetic of the Leap, as well as the Carbon Fiber in the Skeletool CX... :pok:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: July 04, 2018, 10:13:32 PM

Def

(Image removed from quote.)

::)

Seriously though, there could be a case for ceramic blades... were it not for the brittleness around holes, making pivots a bit awkward. Unless you contrive a metal pivot and blade fitting of some kind. Probably a bit too costly.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #51 on: July 04, 2018, 11:23:42 PM
Not to mention all of the prying people do with multitool blades.  I doubt they would want to deal with the warranty claims and liability issues from people trying to turn screws or open crates with the knife blade.

Def

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: July 05, 2018, 08:48:57 AM
Not to mention all of the prying people do with multitool blades.  I doubt they would want to deal with the warranty claims and liability issues from people trying to turn screws or open crates with the knife blade.

Def

True, although I think this wouldn't necessarily prevent aftermarket blades of this kind entering the market, e.g. from Asia, where there is a lot of experience with ceramic knife blades...  but I've read no news whatsoever in this direction.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: July 05, 2018, 01:15:56 PM

Def

and especially considering that most multitools have at least one big flathead driver,
that's nuts  :megaslap:
My toys:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #54 on: July 05, 2018, 03:12:41 PM
I know it makes no sense, but they do it anyway.   :facepalm:

The only guess I have is that the blade is usually easier to access than a screwdriver? 

It reminds me of an electrician I used to know- while he was doing some work at my house I offered to put an edge on his knife for him as it was amazingly dull.  He refused saying that sharpening it would ruin it for stripping wire, opening junction boxes and prying stuff.  Then he looked at me confused when I suggested that wire strippers and pry bars might be better for that kind of use than a knife.

:facepalm:

Def

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #55 on: July 05, 2018, 03:45:08 PM
I really wanna see leatherman with prybar what is integrated into multitool. On of main reason why im nowdays carry seperate prybar. I broked my waves large flathead when i removed my cars radio. I first carried it diffrent place until i founded place for it. Now days it in my waves pocket clip with paracord

Only tools matters

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #56 on: July 06, 2018, 02:49:51 AM
Here's my prediction for the next decade. Leatherman with be selling all kinds of standard hand tools with their name on them.  They will be filling the void left by the closing of all the remaining Sears stores, because, even though Stanley bought Craftsman tools from Sears, without the stores, accessibility to consumers will become an issue for Stanley.

Leatherman will also be selling an off-road capable, cargo hauling bicycle as opposed to the racing / mountain bikes, or road touring bikes that people ride just for fun.  The Leatherman bikes will have built in compartments for camping gear and tools for the explorer and survivalist types, and a platform for larger gear, or a hitch to pull a trailer for added capacity.  The bikes will be expensive, but you'll get one of the new type 3, titanium Surges free with purchase. :dd:

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #57 on: July 06, 2018, 12:29:29 PM
Here's my prediction for the next decade. Leatherman with be selling all kinds of standard hand tools with their name on them.  They will be filling the void left by the closing of all the remaining Sears stores, because, even though Stanley bought Craftsman tools from Sears, without the stores, accessibility to consumers will become an issue for Stanley.

Leatherman will also be selling an off-road capable, cargo hauling bicycle as opposed to the racing / mountain bikes, or road touring bikes that people ride just for fun.  The Leatherman bikes will have built in compartments for camping gear and tools for the explorer and survivalist types, and a platform for larger gear, or a hitch to pull a trailer for added capacity.  The bikes will be expensive, but you'll get one of the new type 3, titanium Surges free with purchase. :dd:

:dd:

I'd buy one  :pok:

"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline thatotherguy

Reply #58 on: July 06, 2018, 04:23:08 PM
Honestly, and this depresses me to admit, unless they start seriously cleaning up their quality control or dropping their prices to a level befitting the QC they have, I don't know if I would expect them to survive another 20 years. I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but the way I see it, they either need to get their act together or come up with a gimmick like SOG's user replaceable tools.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #59 on: July 06, 2018, 05:32:31 PM
My predictions:
- More lifestyle models and products: coolness over practicality. Multi-tool pendants, belt buckles...?
- I think the segment of desk people is not tapped in yet. Scissors with knife, nail file, removable bit driver? Expect to see more scissors-based models.
- More Victorinox-inspired models: the half Juice/ half Skeletool will get fatter and packed with tools. The SuperTool line will continue to evolve, by taking cue from the SwissTool design.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%