Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Where do you see LM in 10, 20, or 30 years?

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Where do you see LM in 10, 20, or 30 years?
Reply #60 on: July 06, 2018, 06:22:49 PM
All I can think about is Leatherman getting into the dedicated tool market. I would love to see a line of Leatherman screwdrivers, pliers, hammers, saws, files, etc.... I doubt this will happen as it would take massive amounts of time and money away from their multitools and basically be the opposite “mission statement” that they founded the company on.

I could also see Leatherman being the leading provider in “car kits”. You know, the tools that are provided with every new car that is purchased. Those tool kits are becoming non existent with new cars and some do not even provide a jack and tire iron anymore and opt for a can of goo instead. I would love to see Leatherman make a run at being a provider to every car company to get tools back into cars. That could be a huge money maker for them.

I just woke up and am half asleep so these things may be completely ridiculous.  :D
I'm the milk man!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #61 on: July 10, 2018, 01:35:51 AM
20 years from now?

In the history books. As a company that had a great idea and a great product. They did one thing. They only had to do that one thing. And they screwed it up.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #62 on: July 10, 2018, 08:44:27 AM
They will be just fine, no matter what the bashers say.
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #63 on: July 10, 2018, 03:40:58 PM
20 years from now?

In the history books. As a company that had a great idea and a great product. They did one thing. They only had to do that one thing. And they screwed it up.

Ouch! 

I think they still have their core business of folding plier tools covered, at least for the most part.  Yes, there's a bit of an argument to be made that they are straying from the formula, but they do still have some good, solid models like the Wave, Charge and Surge amongst the newer, fancier and gimmickier stuff.

Whether that leads to ultimate failure or not is another story.  It's a possibility- bigger companies than them have failed, and smaller companies than them have re-invented themselves and succeeded.

It will be interesting to see what happens!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline thatotherguy

Reply #64 on: July 14, 2018, 05:40:42 PM
One thing I neglected to consider in my previous post was the brand recognition. Even if they do continue to have problems with QC, push poorly designed niche tools, and every other problem they're starting to exhibit, the fact still remains that when someone in the general, non-hobbyist populace asks for a multi-tool, they ask for a Leatherman. Regardless of who actually made the tool. They could easily pull a Maglite and continue on without any real innovation for years because of their genericized trademark brand recognition.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #65 on: July 15, 2018, 12:47:59 PM
One thing I neglected to consider in my previous post was the brand recognition. Even if they do continue to have problems with QC, push poorly designed niche tools, and every other problem they're starting to exhibit, the fact still remains that when someone in the general, non-hobbyist populace asks for a multi-tool, they ask for a Leatherman. Regardless of who actually made the tool. They could easily pull a Maglite and continue on without any real innovation for years because of their genericized trademark brand recognition.

much like happened to Gerber or Schrade, they kept pulling out crappy stuff but people kept buying because of the name they had built the previous decades, when they made quality stuff  :P
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%