Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Surge,need help !!!

Vadim · 29 · 2751

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Surge,need help !!!
on: December 16, 2009, 08:34:01 AM
Hi guys! Have a question about new Surge, when I open a Saw Blade the Clip-Point Knife opens too with Saw Blade. When open a Clip-Point Knife its work fine,the Saw Blade seat in its place. Never have this problem with my old (3 years) Surge.But when I lost a plastic on Scissors I sen my Surge to Leatherman (Oregon) and they give me brand new Surge ! So anybody knows about this problem?   Thanks.

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
Re: Surge,need help !!!
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 08:43:20 AM
I cant say Ive had that happen on my surges, must be something wrong with the axle, bent?

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 01:49:52 AM
Hasn't happened with mine :think:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 05:43:53 AM
That is pretty weird... I would probably send it back, because that should definitely not happen. Never has to mine, and it is only a year old or less.
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 05:50:40 AM
That's very weird but you may want to try loosening the end cap on that side and see if that clears it up, it may just be a bit tight.  Seems worth a try before you send it off to Leatherman, if you have two T-10 security torx bits you can give it a shot.
:)

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 01:47:25 AM
I think Crouton might be on the right lines there. It sounds as though that opening the file is causing the whole fastener to turn, bringing the blade with it, maybe  :think:

CumminsDiesel - when you open the file, does the torx screw head on the other side turn with it? If it does - it shouldn't. You could try lubing the pivots, or as Crouton suggested, try letting a bit of the tension off by loosening the torx screw very slightly.

I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 05:52:17 AM
I think Crouton might be on the right lines there. It sounds as though that opening the file is causing the whole fastener to turn, bringing the blade with it, maybe  :think:

CumminsDiesel - when you open the file, does the torx screw head on the other side turn with it? If it does - it shouldn't. You could try lubing the pivots, or as Crouton suggested, try letting a bit of the tension off by loosening the torx screw very slightly.

Yes,when I open  the saw blade the torx screw head on the other side is turn with it.Any way I'm going to send it back because the Blade Exchanger has a very big play, >:( lot of scratches on blade exchanger......What happen with Leatherman quality ??? This is my second SURGE and it have a lot of BAD quality control ! Between my SURGE and SwissTool RS its like heaven and earth . Anyway thank you guys for helping me.Very good site,like it. :salute:

Offline cadjak

Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 06:21:49 AM
I don't know if it is a problem with the Surge but mine has just been sent in for the THIRD time. #1 = incomplete machining of one of the blades kept it from locking, #2 Interior part broke off the second day that I had it back from LM , #3 Brand new Surge they sent would not close without the pliers jamming between the screwdriver  and the awl. To their credit Leatherman responded quickly and returned my Surge quickly. There just seems to be a problem with the quality control in the manufacturing. Or, I have very bad luck. :oops:

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 06:26:38 AM
Must be bad luck I havent had any of those problems with my surges. :think:

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 05:19:17 AM
Received my third Surge without any problems,everything is tough and work very well.Now have a both a SwissTool RS and Leatherman Surge and think about which one I like more  :think: :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 12:49:00 PM
Yay  :cheers:

About time too I guess CD? I'm glad they got it right eventually for you sir - enjoy it :tu:

Offline cadjak

Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 06:04:02 PM
Received my third Surge without any problems,everything is tough and work very well.Now have a both a SwissTool RS and Leatherman Surge and think about which one I like more  :think: :D

:cheers: A good way to start the new year.  Keep us informed as to your decision process with these two tools. I will be right with you, if LM ever sends me a solid Surge to compare to my SwissTool RS.  I am usually easy on my tools, but I like knowing that if I need them to do a job that requires extra strength, they will be up to it.  :multi:

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 04:51:25 AM
OK,I work with SwissTool and its slip in my hands because of it shiny and polish handles.When I try after my SURGE ...WOW,its all changes!!!To be honest  SwissTool is great product,nice quality and etc.,but when its come to work the real tool is my SURGE,its easy to work with this tool.The Leatherman is right,with this tool I'm feeling ready,ready to work!!!The SURGE feeling more for real Heavy Duty work,with SwissTool I'm just scary to break it down.:salute:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 05:01:17 AM by CumminsDiesel »

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 05:07:55 AM
I'm really pleased that your Surge is impressing you after a poor start.

I'm not a huge fan of the Swisstool myself, but I doubt you'll break it - it's a tough tool. I'd think it was at least as strong as the Surge, but I do understand about the "slippiness".

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 05:17:02 AM
You right,the SwissTool is tough enough and tough like SURGE,but that slippery handles....

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 05:31:33 AM
 :D give both tools to my wife,which one she like more? She said SURGE more like for real man and for real work,the SwissTool like for women  :oops: :(     :D.So funny,but SwissTool is great tool too.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 06:25:42 AM by CumminsDiesel »

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 05:34:22 AM
Thank you guys for replays,good luck!

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 11:31:38 PM
The SURGE may not be the prettiest, lightest or the most comfortable multitool. But it gets the job done and you ain't afraid to use it and use it Hard! and it sure can take a beating!
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 10:43:04 PM
You right its not a same quality  like a SwissTool,honestly if  not a Leatherman sign on MultiTool   I was think that tool is made in China.You just can't beat a SwissTool quality.

Offline Magnus

Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 10:59:27 PM
why do you have an engine manufacturers logo as you avatar?  :pok:
[

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 12:08:19 AM
why do you have an engine manufacturers logo as you avatar?  :pok:

:D don't know,maybe because I so like this motors  :).Should I change my avatar? Like this  :multi: or this  :climber: ?

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 02:40:08 AM
Better now?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 02:41:43 AM by CumminsDiesel »

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 01:44:55 PM
I had this problem with my Wave . Everytime I opened the plain edge blade the hole pivot rotated .I held the pivot still with the right size torx bit and needed quite alot of effort to open the blade . I applied plenty of oil and just kept rotating the pivot with the torx bit and its now loosened up fine  :tu: Took about 30 mins of constant turning .

Dunc

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 07:11:49 PM
I had this problem with my Wave . Everytime I opened the plain edge blade the hole pivot rotated .I held the pivot still with the right size torx bit and needed quite alot of effort to open the blade . I applied plenty of oil and just kept rotating the pivot with the torx bit and its now loosened up fine  :tu: Took about 30 mins of constant turning .

Dunc

Thanks Dunk,I received a new one and it has no problem,everything is work very well.Like this tool,its so heavy and tough.

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: January 09, 2010, 03:17:50 AM
Take my word back about quality of Leatherman.Was in WalMart and look at Leatherman Core...WOW! What a beautiful tool,just a one word: TOUGH !!! Nice job :tu: Leatherman!  :salute:

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: January 09, 2010, 03:24:09 AM
That's my only real complaint about Leatherman. When built right they have great tools, but lately it seems they keep letting WAAAAAY too many defective tools leave the factory.

edited for mass spelling and grammatical screw ups
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 03:29:36 AM by thebullfrog »

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: January 09, 2010, 03:26:17 AM
Take my word back about quality of Leatherman.Was in WalMart and look at Leatherman Core...WOW! What a beautiful tool,just a one word: TOUGH !!! Nice job :tu: Leatherman!  :salute:

About to be retired soon too the Core. You need to get one quick  :pok:

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 09, 2010, 04:00:58 AM

About to be retired soon too the Core. You need to get one quick  :pok:

:D you right  :tu:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: January 09, 2010, 04:01:25 AM
:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05