Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Pruner Help

Offline joebw

Leatherman Pruner Help
on: June 10, 2007, 01:13:01 AM
Hello All,

I need your help.  In 2006, I bought a Leatherman Hybrid Pruner.  At the time, the pruner pivot screw went into a drilled and tapped raised bolster on the black pruner blade.  I used it for about 20 minutes on my bushes and the pruner blades jammed closed.  The Loctite they used had let go and the pivot screw tightened until the pruner blades jammed.

I returned the pruner to Leatherman and asked, beyond the repair, that they tell me what went wrong.  They fixed the Hybrid and returned it with the explanation that the Loctite failed.

I latter bought the Vista pruner.  The date codes on these are (Hybrid) 0306 and (Vista) 0406.  Both utilize the drilled and tapped raised bolster on the black blade for the pruner pivot screw.

I just bought a Hybrid for my sister.  When it came, I was surprised to see that the bolster was gone and replaced with a self-locking nut.  This pruner has a date code of 1106.

I'd like to try to find out then the change was made.  If you have either pruner, please drop me an email with the model, the type of pivot screw retention and the date code which will be found in the stainless liner inside the handles.

Thanks for your help - _'ll share the results with all. - Best - Jpoe

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Leatherman Pruner Help
Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 01:52:58 AM
Hi Jpoe!  :D

I've got a Vista with 0406 date codes on both handles. It has the raised boss on the black blade, drilled and tapped for the pivot screw.
vista boss.jpg
* vista boss.jpg (Filesize: 83.6 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 04:39:43 AM
My Hybrid is dated 0306 and looks exactly like the one that Bob posted.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 01:09:56 PM
I was just checking out the Vista that Peter Lezard reviewed HERE. It has the same drilled and tapped boss arrangement as mine. See picture below:

I guess I have not yet seen one with the self-locking nut like you are describing Joe.  :(
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 11:25:13 PM
Joe sent me this scan, showing the new locking nut/pivot screw method:

Here is a scan from the back of the 2007 Leatherman catalog.  Interestingly enough, the photos inside the catalog still show the threaded bolster.
vistascan.jpg
* vistascan.jpg (Filesize: 35.48 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%