Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Steel may be a better choice for one piece tools...

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Steel may be a better choice for one piece tools...
on: December 30, 2009, 10:31:56 PM
All the titanium one piece tools I use regularly are starting to look a bit ratty. (Screwdriver tips, pry ends, bottle opener "teeth" (or is it tooths  :think:).

The steel tools still look almost like new.

I love anodized Ti, but I'm beginning to think Steel is much more durable for these types of tools.  

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: Steel may be a better choice for one piece tools...
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 10:34:19 PM
Not the first time I've heard that.  I'd be happy to have Ti on a prybar like tool, but I'd sooner have steel for something like a FunnyBone with a wrench.
I'm back!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 10:36:39 PM
Ti's just too soft for a tool application imo :-\
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 10:43:21 PM
I just don´t get this whole TI fanatism in some forums. TI is nice for medical supplies. For tools and knives: STEEL
For outdoor gear and cookware: Aluminium.

TI is hyped now, but I really think it does not stand up to the hype.
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 10:45:15 PM
Well I like Ti and like it in tool applications.  It just depends on what application.
I'm back!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 11:18:50 PM
Titanium is expensive. 

Actually it's not, but people think it is, and so manufacturers love to continue the stereotype that it's expensive, sexy and ultra high tech so they can make more money off people who simply have to have it.  That's not to say that all manufacturers do that, in fact, many manufacturers use titanium because of it's reputation, so it's kind of a catch 22.

I will say that I too am dazzled by titanium and I like the pretty colors and light weight of it, so I'm just as much to blame as the next guy. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 12:27:01 AM
Titanium is expensive. 

Actually it's not, but people think it is, and so manufacturers love to continue the stereotype that it's expensive, sexy and ultra high tech so they can make more money off people who simply have to have it.  That's not to say that all manufacturers do that, in fact, many manufacturers use titanium because of it's reputation, so it's kind of a catch 22.

I will say that I too am dazzled by titanium and I like the pretty colors and light weight of it, so I'm just as much to blame as the next guy. 

Def

Whistle: Titanium rules!

Pry tool: Steel is king

Liners: Titanium wins

Knife blade: Steel wins

Backspacer: Titanium wins again

You get the idea.  :D

Want the best of both worlds? Stellite or Talonite, but there is still a chance they can chip.  :-\
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 06:36:58 AM
Some time back people were paying $500-$1000 for a custom made titanium flashlight until the Chinese stepped in and offered chitanium flashlights for $150-$200 hmm  :think: I know where my money is going in the future for luxury metals  :D :D

Offline Magnus

Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 09:20:39 AM
of course it is terrible for making tools, manufacturers keep marketing it as a super strong metal because it is used in the aircraft industry, when in fact steel is stronger.

well, steel is stronger given the same volume, titanium is stronger given the same volume, which is why titanium is used in airospace where weight is an issue.
[

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 12:59:39 AM
Due to its asthetic on my MT.O Raker, perhaps damascus! :gimme:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Offline Magnus

Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 09:41:31 AM
Due to its asthetic on my MT.O Raker, perhaps damascus! :gimme:

Personally, I love Damascus blades, they look great, and are at least as strong as carbon steel.  I would imagine that it costs more than titanium even though, given the work involved in making it.
[

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 01:18:50 PM
When I first started collecting knives, Damascus cost 20x more than carb on steel.  With midern technology(Raker RT is the prime example) Damascus is niw just double :think:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Offline SteveRacer

• Mary had a little lamb. With mint jelly and mashed
Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 09:36:36 PM
Titanium is expensive. 

Actually it's not, but people think it is, and so manufacturers love to continue the stereotype ...

Not sure what you mean, titanium is very expensive, even the common Ti-6AL-4V alloy.  Perhaps there's a World Alloy Conspiracy, keeping the price up.  By weight it's very expensive, by volume it's still expensive.

I do agree the final "end-user" price is way over-hyped, especially as jewelry or specialized tools where carbon steel, or a chrome-vanadium would work better but not be as chic.

Machining is more difficult than carbon steels; it's a gummy critter that requires exact feed/speed and sharp tools, with excellent chip clearing lube.  Although I honestly don't think it's much more difficult than really good finishes on T6 temper 6061 aluminum.  In the end quite a bit easier than 41xx chro-molly tool steels, on par with 316, 321, and other high nickle austentitic stainless, and a walk in the park compared to inconell, haspalloy, waspalloy, and high temperature nickle specialty stuff.

Welding is tricky, Ti requires backpurging and complete coverage in shield gas.

The only *mandated* titanium application I'm aware of is common hand tools used in working on MRI equipment where you can't have anything ferrous anywhere near the field.  I'm sure it's useful in spacecraft, racecars, golf clubs, and tennis racquets, but these things existed and worked reasonable well, long before titanium was put into widespread use.

As far as what's stronger than steel, the lowly spider web and regular window glass are stronger than steel in tensile loading.   But steel is the best choice when you need good tensile and good sheer -- especially at a reasonable cost.  Only when weight is critical would I consider titanium, and even then not before exploring a good aluminum alloy.

All that said, titanium is a cool alloy, and I covet those little multifunction prybars and keychain bits as much as any of my brethren here.  And I will continue to covet, as the price is simply too much.

best-

-steve
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 11:09:15 PM
While I can't argue the current costs of titanium, I will say the few things I have learned from a man who know titanium better than just about everyone else.

1- Titanium is the fourth most common element in the Earth's crust.

2- Uncle Sam's titanium is expensive because all government consumption of titanium has to come from US sources, which means significantly higher labor costs than the other major titanium producers, Russia and China.  There is no difference in the quality, composition or strength between titanium produced here and that produced overseas.

I have looked at the cost of raw titanium bar stock in the past for various projects, and while I can't quote prices, I can say it was significantly cheaper than what I was expecting.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 03:12:05 AM
Don't worry, pretty soon Titanium will have worn out it's welcome, then Beryllium will be the new fad.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 04:30:24 AM
Titanium is definitely bling bling as far as daily gears are concerned. I have a titanium spork and a titanium glass frame and not happy with neither, a good grade stainless steel would offer much better functionality.

Don't worry, pretty soon Titanium will have worn out it's welcome, then Beryllium will be the new fad.

Sure, if you like toxic metals.  :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 04:33:58 AM
Titanium is definitely bling bling as far as daily gears are concerned. I have a titanium spork and a titanium glass frame and not happy with neither, a good grade stainless steel would offer much better functionality.

Sure, if you like toxic metals.  :D

Beryllium is nasty bad stuff. :ahhh
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 04:40:17 AM
What is it with these Unobtanium metals lately?  First Avatar, and now in the Star Trek book I finished today, they were mining what was essentially Unobtanium from the event horizon of a black hole.  :think:

Oh, and give me ATS-34 anyday. :P

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 04:43:05 AM

+2 :2tu:
Got those frog legs.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 04:45:02 AM
Well... or Adamantium.  :drool:  :D

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #20 on: January 08, 2010, 04:46:51 AM
Well... or Adamantium.  :drool:  :D

I'd like my tools to be composite, with the tools being mithril and the blade being made of light, please.

Just being realistic is all. :salute:
Got those frog legs.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: January 08, 2010, 04:50:28 AM
What is it with these Unobtanium metals lately?  First Avatar, and now in the Star Trek book I finished today, they were mining what was essentially Unobtanium from the event horizon of a black hole.  :think:

Seems like black holium would cut through about anything. :)  (you wouldn't want to hold the blade too close though......) :ahhh
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: January 08, 2010, 05:23:03 AM
Didn't know Beryllium was toxic  :think:
I remember a long time ago seeing a company that was making a limited run of Mtn. bikes out of the stuff. Expensive as crap but sounded like it had some good qualities to it (not as a tool though obviously). It being toxic would explain why I've never really encountered the stuff since then. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle  :salute:

Well... or Adamantium.  :drool:  :D

I'd like my tools to be composite, with the tools being mithril and the blade being made of light, please.

Just being realistic is all. :salute:

Adamithrillium?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 05:28:50 AM by thebullfrog »

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 01:45:30 PM
I always liked Bennerylliam...
I'm back!!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #24 on: January 08, 2010, 02:44:39 PM

Seems like black holium would cut through about anything. :)  (you wouldn't want to hold the blade too close though......) :ahhh

Too heavy for pocket carry.

Offline Magnus

Reply #25 on: January 08, 2010, 06:10:01 PM
just give me my neutronium SAK already...
[

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #26 on: January 14, 2010, 03:19:36 AM
I always liked Bennerylliam...

No, you're thinking of Bennyhilliam.
G

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: January 14, 2010, 12:37:48 PM
Ah that was it.  :P
I'm back!!

Offline Raker

Reply #28 on: January 22, 2010, 08:55:00 PM
I use titanium for the liners on my folders.  To me it is expensive.  The price I paid for the last square ft. was $120.00.  The titanium was .062" thick and I use it for my Scagel style folders.  The smaller folders utilize .040" titanium for its liners.  I have tried 410 SS for the liners and they make a heavy knife to carry in your pocket.
If some one knows where to purchase the .062" 6AL4V titanium at a much lower cost, please let me know.  Thanks ahead of time.
R

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD