Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why I shouldn't be trusted with a wine bottle (Pics)

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Why I shouldn't be trusted with a wine bottle (Pics)
on: January 02, 2010, 01:50:00 AM
Hi all,
Someone (cough "kim" cough) put me in charge of getting a bottle of wine for dinner tonight.  I know nothing about wine and have drank only a handful of glasses total in my life.  Kim asked me to open one and tell her what it tasted like since I got one she had never heard of but came recommended by the salesman.  Yeah...this is why I shouldn't be trusted around a wine bottle.  Broke the bottle opener, cork in 3 pieces and bent the hell out of the corkscrew on my LM Juice SC2.  Grrr...anyway, here are pics.  I put this here because of the pics...if ya'll want it in the break room feel free to move.  

I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Re: Why I shouldn't be trusted with a wine bottle (Pics)
Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 02:06:21 AM
Bloody hell Kel  :o

Carnage!
I used to come here a lot.

it Offline sardauker

• Just arrived
Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 02:06:51 AM
Poor corkscrews or amazingly strong cork?

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 02:51:02 AM
Kel you just bent the Juice's cork screw didn't you  :o :o. Have you been able to straighten it out  :think: :think:

BTW you need a Flair if you are going to become a cultured, highfalutin wine drinker  :pok: :P :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 03:07:24 AM
You should have gotten wine in a box...  ;)
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 04:21:38 AM
Geeze what is it with corkscrews lately?  That looks like a bit of a flaw in casting, just twist and snap huh?

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 04:41:14 AM
Geeze what is it with corkscrews lately?  That looks like a bit of a flaw in casting, just twist and snap huh?
I have no idea...it was one of those bottle openers that has the arms that raise up as you screw in the corkscrew and then you push down on the arms and it lifts the cork.  Well, it didn't lift the cork all the way out and when I went to pull it...SNAP! 

Kel you just bent the Juice's cork screw didn't you  :o :o. Have you been able to straighten it out  :think: :think:

BTW you need a Flair if you are going to become a cultured, highfalutin wine drinker  :pok: :P :D :D
Yep, after I used the Juice pliers to get the broken end of the corkscrew out of the cork I figured I'd try using the corkscrew and can opener on the Juice to lift it the rest of the way out...yeah, that didn't work.  Bent the snot out of it.  And I haven't tried to bend it back yet...I may break if I do.  I don't know.  And I'm not becoming a highfalutin wine drinker (although I still wouldn't mind having a Flair :D ).  Kim wanted wine with dinner since we didn't celebrate the new year last night because she was tired from work and I was sick as a dog.  Why she thought I should go get wine is beyond me.  I argued with the guy in the shop because he told me that pink wine was actually white.  I said, "No, it's pink"  He said, "Yes, but it's a white wine"  I said, "No, it's pink...pink is not white"  He said, "Well it's a blush" I said, "I will accept blush as an answer, but not white."  He was very nice and finally just smiled and chuckled.  I think we both knew I wasn't going to get "it" anytime soon.  :) 
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 04:42:19 AM
Leatherman too? ???

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 04:43:07 AM
Leatherman too? ???
Yep...it's a little sad isn't it?

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 04:48:21 AM
Bent the heck out of the can opener too...it won't close right and I can't get it bent back...I have no idea how to go about getting the corkscrew bent back...Colorful Enunciation! :rant:

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 05:15:30 AM
Kim asked me to open one and tell her what it tasted like since I got one she had never heard of but came recommended by the salesman.

I'm wondering, what brand of wine was it?  I just remembered a few friends of mine were recommended terrible wine with flawed corks and the only reason why the salesman recommended it was because he knew it was terrible wine and wanted to unload it.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 08:54:20 AM
I don't know helluva lot about wine, but I heard someplace the bottles are stored lying to prevent the cork from drying out.. :think:
You really killed those corkscrews, kel  :o :o You better cut down lifting those weights..  :D  
Plenty of updates on the wounded Juice, that poor thing.. :-\

Offline Magnus

Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 10:28:25 AM
well, I guess your warranty should cover that?  probably better than doing it yourself
[

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 10:56:22 AM
Yeah that's a warranty job :)

Best lay of the spinach for a while girl :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 11:34:36 AM
You probably applied a bit of lateral force to the device. Corkscrews are thin and are only meant to be pulled upwards. That is the main cause of corkscrew carnage.

But a Leatherman!  Oh the horror! :o

If I need any tools beaten into submission...I am shipping them to you Kel. :D

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 11:56:12 AM
It's not the wine bottle you shouldn't be trusted with, it's the opening of said wine bottles :P

good excuse to get new toys tho!
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 12:08:42 PM
Go practice this with a SAK, Kel..  ;)

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 03:11:47 PM
Yeah, if I can't fix the Juice myself, I'll probably send it in.  I would think it would be an easy fix.  I hope so anyway. 

I honestly didn't mean to put any torque on it.  I used the can opener as a lever against the lip of the bottle and not only didn't that work to get the cork out, it also bent the hell out of the can opener and corkscrew.  It kept slipping off the rim of the bottle.  I don't think myself a stupid woman but that wine bottle and cork kicked my butt yesterday! 

I don't know what kind of wine it was, we drank it and Kim already took the trash and recycling out so I have no idea what it was.  It wasn't "cheap" but it wasn't real expensive either, I do know that. 

So, let it be known, if you have any tools that are misbehaving you can send them my way...I promise to return them with better attitudes.  LOL! 

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 03:28:43 PM
I bought a bottle of Dubonett a while ago that was super tough to get the cork out. I had to resort to destroying the cork into small pieces to get at the contents. This necessitated a bit of racking to get all the bits of cork out of the aperitif. Now that was one tough cork. It happens to everyone Kel.  :salute: :)

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44