Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Challenge: 100 Books in 2010

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Challenge: 100 Books in 2010
on: January 06, 2010, 06:54:25 PM
Hi all,
I'm participating in a "challenge" with some friends of mine to read 100 books in 2010.  I don't know if anyone here would be interested or not, but I figured if you were maybe we could keep track of what we're reading and maybe give some reading recommendations to each other.  It can be any genre you want, any length you want.  The only caveats are that school books don't count unless you read the whole thing.  And collections of short stories or poetry count as one book.  So, if your interested, join me.  :)  If not, well that's good too.  Cheers!  :cheers:
My list so far:
1. No Rules of Engagement-Taylor Richardson (romance)
2. In too Deep-Ronica Black (police mystery/romance)
3. Deeper-Ronica Black (sequel to In Too Deep)
4. Deja Dead-Kathy Reichs
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Re: Challenge: 100 Books in 2010
Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 06:56:23 PM
There goes the time online..  :-\
See you in 2011, Kelly..  :cheers:  

;) :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 07:09:47 PM
I reckon I could do that.  :)

(Mr Men books count right?  :D)
I'm back!!

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 07:12:18 PM
Sounds like a good idea Kelly, I’m in.

Just finished Semper Mars – Ian Douglas (Sci-Fi) and I am about to finish Big Boy Rule – Steve Fainaru (non-fiction) and I have 3 more books lying around that I am going to read. The only problem is if I can find enough books that I want to read
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 07:22:26 PM
I´m in. I guess 100 are possible, and maybe it will be a nice reason to get a kindle finally ;)

To start with I have:

Gebrauchsanweisung für Schweden (Handbook for Sweden)
13 reasons why (great book!)
Digital SLR - basics for beginners

« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 07:25:32 PM by Woz »
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 07:59:34 PM
Great start guys!  Awesome!  
Medic,
Part of the idea of this is to give others ideas on stuff to read. If you are into Tom Clancy type stuff, for you I'd highly recommend James Rollins' Sigma Force series or any of his books really.  He doesn't bog you down in lot of overly political stuff, but it's a wild ride!  That series I think starts with Sandstorm, but I started with Map of Bones and Black Order...still my faves.  :)

Allan, "see you in 2011"  LOL!  You're so funny!  I read fast so I doubt my online time will suffer "that" much.  My farm in farmville might though. :D

Woz:
I just looked up 13 Reasons Why and I must say it is now on my list.  Sounds intense.  :)  Thanks for the heads up. :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 08:02:32 PM by GraysonK »
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 08:01:30 PM
Allan, "see you in 2011"  LOL!  You're so funny! I read fast so I doubt my online time will suffer "that" much.  My farm in farmville might though. :D
Pheww, you had me worried for a sec..  ;)

:D :D

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 09:02:53 PM

Woz:
I just looked up 13 Reasons Why and I must say it is now on my list.  Sounds intense.  :)  Thanks for the heads up. :)

You´re welcome. In fact this is the second time I read it and it still is intense and touching. Reminds me on the (non fictional) "tuesdays with morrie" or one of my all-time favorites in that genre ""The lovely bones" by Alice Sebold. Love it!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 09:05:08 PM by Woz »
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 09:20:47 PM
I'd say that was just about doable :think:

I read a novel in about 4 days normally :) But I think if you were trying to read 100 you probably wouldn't enjoy them as much :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 10:08:41 PM
I'd say that was just about doable :think:

I read a novel in about 4 days normally :) But I think if you were trying to read 100 you probably wouldn't enjoy them as much :)

I sure hope not.  I just read fast.  I get into a book and just can't stop until I'm done.  I hope people enjoy what they're reading, I know I do.  :)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 10:29:18 PM
Some books are no problem to crank out in a day or two- others I find require some effort to keep reading.  These are usually the ones in the middle of a series, so I don't dare stop reading them!

I'd say on average I get through about half that, but if I found 100 good books, I could probably read them all in 5 months!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 10:32:42 PM
I can't read anywhere near the rate needed to do 100 BUT I would suggest Navada Barr's books, they are about a National Park Ranger who sloves murders in the parks.  Winter Study is the best one I have "read."

:cheers:

I also have enjoyed Wes Oleszewski's books (books about ships sinking on the great lakes) Ghost Ships, Gales and Forgotten Tales is great  :D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 11:01:01 PM by yud »

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 10:41:06 PM
Some books are no problem to crank out in a day or two- others I find require some effort to keep reading.  These are usually the ones in the middle of a series, so I don't dare stop reading them!

I'd say on average I get through about half that, but if I found 100 good books, I could probably read them all in 5 months!

Def
I find that the books that are hardest for me to get through are the historical ones...fiction or nonfiction because I am constantly reorienting myself to a time line or facts.  Those take a few days.  But I totally agree...if I find 100 books that I really like this might be a short challenge.  Really, it doesn't matter if you finish that many or not, it's just kind of a fun thing to aspire to.  I'm still interested in what everyone is reading though...so please post them.  :)  Oh and Ben, i have no idea what Mr. Men books are but if you wanna read it then go ahead.  :)

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 11:17:55 PM
So far since December i've read..

Back to Basics 3rd Edition- A complete guide to traditional skills
English Translation of the Meaning of Al-Qur'an- The Guidance for Mankind
Weird Texas
Weird USA
Weird New York
Foxfire 3 i think
SAS Survival Manual
my new Snap On Catalouge :D
and right now i'm kicking the tires on the last Harry Potter book.
:like:    :MTO:

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 11:30:56 PM
:D  So far Pacu is in the lead with most books read.  LOL

I'd be interested in what you think of the last Harry Potter book.  I am a huge fan of the series, read the last book in 10 hours then read it again in 12.  I'm not overly fond of the absolute ending, but it was everything I thought it would and more.  I hope you enjoy it.  :)

Offline P35

Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 11:46:08 PM
I read about 3 or 4 books a week.  Books , knowledge, escape, pleasure, what's not to like

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 11:51:30 PM
I read about 3 or 4 books a week.  Books , knowledge, escape, pleasure, what's not to like
Precisely!  :) 

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 11:55:26 PM
I got ADD when it comes to watching the boob tube. I can watch 7 tv shows at one time. Drives the wife crazy.

I can sit down with a book and read it cover to cover no problem though.
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 12:00:17 AM
I am up for it I think I have one hundred books of matches around here somewhere :pok:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 12:40:12 AM
I don't think I've read 100 books in my lifetime  ???
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 03:32:47 AM
I listen to generally one audiobook per week and read paper books whenever I get some peace and quiet, which isn't often.  I'd read for a living if I could do it, anyone ever read any Wilbur Smith?  He's my favorite writer, historical fiction, his works are like a time travel device for me.
:)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 03:38:53 AM
Mr Men are children's books:

Each Mr Man has a certain thing about him, and usually learns a lesson in each book.  Mr Nosey for example sticks his nose where it doesn't belong and gets (if I remember correctly!) paint splattered on him, and I think a clothes pin on his nose, and learns not to be so nosey.

My favorite was Mr Bump:

I never realized Mr Men was a UK thing.... but then growing up I never understood why none of my friends got the Beano or the Dandy either!  Oor Wullie and the Broons were obvious though!  :D

Odd things happen when your father is French Canadian and your mother is from Glasgow!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 03:39:57 AM
A serious challenge, but very doable even with a busy schedule.

I would recommend Donald E. Westlake, his Dortmunder series of books are both funny, entertaining, and easy to read. Start with "Don't Ask", funny when someone asks you "What are you reading"?

:cheers:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 03:50:57 AM
Clive Cussler is also a good way to bang out a dozen books in a week!  They are such light, easy reading, I get the feeling that's how he wrote them!

I'd also suggest the first three Bourne novels- The Bourne Identity, the Bourne Supremacy and the Bourne Ultimatum.  Very good books and nothing at all like the movies.  There are more now, written by other people since Robert Ludlum is a little too dead to write more, and I have read a couple of them.  The one that I can think of off the top of my head is The Bourne Legacy, but I wouldn't waste my time with them.  I pretty well had to force my way through the ones I read.  Typical though, it's a franchise that is making money, got to beat every blessed penny out of it!

And, while I have mentioned this before, The Harry Potter series was excellent, and I also enjoyed Rainbow Six, and Catch Me If You Can was a much better book than the movie, but that's typical of movies in general, and especially those with that cardboard cutout known as Tom Hanks.  Read the Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons or the new one and you'll see what I mean.  Dan Brown's other books, like Digital Fortress are also worth a read.

I also like to read biographies of people I find interesting.  I have read Steve Martin's book, Eval Kneival's book, and Ellen Degeneres' book, although I wish I had the two hours of my life back that that one took up!  It was all jokes about giving booze to minors, which wasn't terribly funny after the first six chapters.  Drew Carry's book was also pretty funny- and it's amazing he isn't in jail!  He threw a guy out of a second story bathroom window once.

That's a lot of scattered thoughts... sorry about that!

Def

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 07:31:45 AM
Let's be honest, all you need is Warhammer, Leo Kessler and the legendary Sven Hassel to keep you well read and entertained :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: January 07, 2010, 06:35:37 PM
I'm about to finish the Harry Potter book and after that I don't know what to read..  :think:
But I always liked Stephen King, Bret Easton Ellis, ect..  :tu:

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #26 on: January 07, 2010, 11:44:12 PM
Glaswegian mother eh Grant? Interesting... explains a few things about you ;) My dad is from there too.

Mr Men books rock! I wasn't so keen on the Little Miss series that came later as they portrayed a poor juxtaposition to the original by virtue of relying on a more feeble and somewhat devicive selection of character atributes. :D

Being a raging slykdexic an' all, I tend to read at a slower rate than average perhaps, and therefore couldn't get through 100 books in a year. I'm lucky if I get through ten to be honest, but I enjoy reading a lot when I'm in the mood for it. I am more likely to read non-fiction though as the pursuit of knowledge seems to keep my interest more easily.

Fiction wise, I'm really in to sci-fi and can recommend almost any of the old Asimov and A.C.Clarke classics. The Rama series is a wonderful read if nothing else. Other than that, the best books I have read so far include these:

Perfume - Patrick Suskind
The Handmaidens Tale - Margaret Atwood
Iced - Ray Shell
Johnny Got His Gun - Dalton Trumbo
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 07, 2010, 11:53:21 PM
Glaswegian mother eh Grant? Interesting... explains a few things about you ;) My dad is from there too.

Mr Men books rock! I wasn't so keen on the Little Miss series that came later as they portrayed a poor juxtaposition to the original by virtue of relying on a more feeble and somewhat devicive selection of character atributes. :D

Being a raging slykdexic an' all, I tend to read at a slower rate than average perhaps, and therefore couldn't get through 100 books in a year. I'm lucky if I get through ten to be honest, but I enjoy reading a lot when I'm in the mood for it. I am more likely to read non-fiction though as the pursuit of knowledge seems to keep my interest more easily.

Fiction wise, I'm really in to sci-fi and can recommend almost any of the old Asimov and A.C.Clarke classics. The Rama series is a wonderful read if nothing else. Other than that, the best books I have read so far include these:

Perfume - Patrick Suskind
The Handmaidens Tale - Margaret Atwood
Iced - Ray Shell
Johnny Got His Gun - Dalton Trumbo

The Handmaiden's Tale was fantastic wasn't it?  Thanks for the list, Nuph.  I'm trying to find some non-fiction that will hold my interest without bogging me down.  I love learning stuff, but it has to be presented in a way that holds my interest.  I was horribly spoiled by a history and lit teacher (same woman) in high school who really made that stuff come alive for me.  I've been searching ever since for books and such that can do the same thing.  I think that's why I prefer historical fiction.  The stuff that gets covered or mentioned in a book that captures my interest is the stuff that I go looking for later.  Or while I'm still reading it.  That happens a lot.  :)  Having said that though, I did just pick up a book about the Ancient Greek navy that looked really good so I hope, when I'm ready to sit down and read it, that it will hold my attention.  :)  And I'm  not so keen on war time non-fiction.  I just don't have a mind for strategy and stuff so it usually makes no sense to me. 
Oh, and I just finished the second book in Kathy Reichs series: Death Du Jour...wow, seriously intense and way disturbing!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #28 on: January 08, 2010, 12:01:29 AM
Sounds good.

I have a copy of Atlas Shrugged now too, which is casting a big "read me" shadow on my bedside table!
That one is definitely YOUR fault  :pok:  :D
It might actually take me all year just to read it!
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: January 08, 2010, 12:02:29 AM
I'm about to finish the Harry Potter book and after that I don't know what to read..  :think:
But I always liked Stephen King, Bret Easton Ellis, ect..  :tu:

The Dark Tower series is amazing, read all 7 books a few years back. J.R.R. Tolken is a great read, start with the Hobit and read the Lord of the Rings trilogy if you haven't read them already  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%