Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

According to Nat.Geo. Adventure Magazine

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
According to Nat.Geo. Adventure Magazine
on: December 19, 2009, 09:11:19 PM
"Most groundbreaking product of 2010"
http://www.wengerna.com/mike-horn-knife-16324

All I can say is  :tu: :tu: :tu:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Re: According to Nat.Geo. Adventure Magazine
Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 09:31:06 PM
Got to get me one of those someday  :cheers:  :tu:

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 09:34:23 PM
Well,I know that I own one and I think Andy tiedye owns one!  Perhaps a few others. :sak:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 09:47:46 PM
How is it compared to the Ranger series? The SOSAK 2009 knife of the year is the first and only 120mm knife I own, it's a bit on the big side for my hands compared to the OHT which fits me better.

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 09:51:35 PM
groundbreaking?

forgive me but why is it groundbreaking I don't see any thing all that diffrent

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 10:07:52 PM
It looks alright to me, but I don't think I would ever get something like that. A good plier-based tool would have more function in my opinion. But that bit holder down by the can opener is pretty cool.
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 12:04:19 AM
I'm waiting until Christmas day to open my packages from Tim which will contain amoung the many nice things a Mike Horn Ranger.  I'm curious to try it out and to test that bitdriver in the handle as well as those two funky blades.  I hope it came with the case, I forgot to ask.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 12:31:47 AM
I'm waiting until Christmas day to open my packages from Tim which will contain amoung the many nice things a Mike Horn Ranger.  I'm curious to try it out and to test that bitdriver in the handle as well as those two funky blades.  I hope it came with the case, I forgot to ask.

Yes it does, and FTR, there is a pocket within the pouch to carry the bits! :tu:

You'll LUV IT!!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 01:48:04 AM
Well,I know that I own one and I think Andy tiedye owns one!  Perhaps a few others. :sak:

I believe Chako has one as well. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 03:56:43 AM
Question is who here will be brave enough to mod one  >:D
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 06:14:19 PM
I updated the Wiki page for the Mike Horn Ranger.  This is quite an interesting tool. I've only had it since Christmas but these are my first impressions.

It's big, and it's quite heavy.  

I really like the scales, I like the new composit material and I like the molding.  

The Pliers work very well, but the jaws don't open too wide, seems like a great design though for a folding knife.  The wire cutter is great.

The bit driver in the handle seems solid and the bits snap in great, this is a great idea.

The Metal Saw/file has a stubby look to it, but I like it and the shorter length makes it feel more robust.  It's also a Stainless Steel grind like the new Victorinox Metal saws; I'm not sure if this is the first Wenger tool to have this or not.  Great tool.

The knife blades seem fine, mine came razor sharp, and while the dual one handed openers seem funny they actually work well.  It makes the blades much easier to open even if I'm not able to flick the non-locking blade open (if you have larger hands though no problem).  I like it more than I thought, and I'm glad they chose this design rather than leaving the plain-edge blade a two-handed opening. I do wish the plain-edge blade had a slightly stronger backspring.  The Liner-Lock button release is awesome, Vic should adopt this for their liner locks.

Like most Wengers, the backsprings feel a bit week especially for such a large knife.  However many people may like this as it makes the tools easy to open and in the cold weather I would see this as a distinct advantage.

I wish they had chosen the long narrow screwdriver of the original Alinghi rather than the can opener tool.  However since you can use hex drive bits this is not a showstopper by any means.  They made the right choice for the intended usage, I just don't have a real need for the can opener.

The weight class is such that if I needed tools more than blades I'd probably carry a Spirit, if I needed blades more or cold weather usage I'd carry the M.H. Ranger.  

Over all I'm impressed.  
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 08:16:21 PM by ICanFixThat »

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 06:25:48 PM
I love SAK and MT, I like Wenger, but I don´t get the hype about the Horns. I mean, it is a large knife with pliers. We have seen pliers like that before. It has 2 OHO blades. Nice, but it is "just" OHO SAK blades, not even a better steel. The bit driver is nice, but nothing special.

Most classic plier based tools will outperform the Horn and are much cheaper. The Wenger is a large, heavy and overpriced SAK with new scales. I love the Wenger concept for it has a really great tool selection on it. But is WAY too expensive for what it is, if it was half the price I would think of getting one.
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 08:21:27 PM
Yes I would have to agree that the price is going to be a barrier for many.  It's quite an expensive knife and as a result I suspect it will be available for only a limited time.  I'm sure I read somewhere that M.H. and the Pangaea project benefit from the sales, so it a nice way to contribute to a good cause.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 04:04:07 AM
I love SAK and MT, I like Wenger, but I don´t get the hype about the Horns. I mean, it is a large knife with pliers. We have seen pliers like that before. It has 2 OHO blades. Nice, but it is "just" OHO SAK blades, not even a better steel. The bit driver is nice, but nothing special.

Most classic plier based tools will outperform the Horn and are much cheaper. The Wenger is a large, heavy and overpriced SAK with new scales. I love the Wenger concept for it has a really great tool selection on it. But is WAY too expensive for what it is, if it was half the price I would think of getting one.

I agree. (but I still want one) :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 03:42:26 PM

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 04:31:37 PM

I agree. (but I still want one) :)

Well, to be fair, if you didn't, you'd be a moderator on the wrong forum really Bob. Isn't it kind of an unwritten rule on here that you should want every MT ever (if not it should be) :D

This is one of those tools where I'd love one, but it's unlikely that it'll ever get to the top of my priority list. Maybe sometime I'll get a good trade deal or something, but the price : interest ratio is not good!
I used to come here a lot.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD