Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

PST warranty

Offline 36chambers

PST warranty
on: January 07, 2010, 05:35:43 PM
Hello all

First time post.  I have an old PST that I would like to retire and keep as a memento.  Unfortunately the tip of the blade broke off. I called Leatherman and they said that a broken tip does not void the warranty.

If I sent it back
1- would they even bother to fix it? / or just give me a replacement which I will request I do not want.
2- if they decide to replace the blade will it compromise its vintage?

thanks!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: PST warranty
Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 06:05:30 PM
I think they may just replace it with a Kick unless you specifically ask them to repair it :)

Welcome to the forum mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 06:38:08 PM
It depends a lot on how old your PST is!

Does it have date codes inside the handles - failing that, some pictures with the blade and tools opened might help us to guestimate the age.

If it is one of the recent blade shapes - there's a good chance that they can replace it for you, but the older the tool, the less likely that would be as they changed quite dramatically over the lifetime of the PST.

I used to come here a lot.

Offline 36chambers

Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 08:16:42 PM
it's an 0895-  with the US REF TM1325473 on the outside

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 08:24:13 PM
Hmm.  :-\

Which would you say is the closest match to the blade shape on your PST?

I'm guessing it would be like the middle one in the picture. Right? If so, I would think it unlikely that they will be able to replace the blade like for like. They may be able to replace it with the later blade though.

Offline 36chambers

Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 08:41:15 PM
yeah it's the middle one

I guess I'll pass on sending it in then. It's not my main tool anymore, just something for my retired collection. I'd rather keep it original.

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 04:31:00 AM
Does blade tip breakage count as a legitimate warranty claim  :think: :think:
Blades do not normally fail at their tip, unless the user is doing something silly  ::) ::) ::). Speaking from personal experience  ::) ::) ::)

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 05:27:54 AM
Technically no, but leatherman seems to be pretty lenient on it.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 05:45:47 AM
Welcome to the forum 36chambers :cheers: I believe if you put a note in that LM will repair your PST :tu: but you will probably not get the original shape blade, but the blade that is in the top of DaveK's pic :-\ Personally I would be fine with that but you do need to know that up front ;) :D You need to tell that it is sentimental probably in your note as well :tu: Hope everything goes well if you decide to send it in :) LM repairs is very prompt and follow directions rather well the majority of the time :cheers:

Offline ratslash7

Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 07:19:02 PM
I sent in an '80s one a little over a year ago with a broken tip on the blade. In my note I mentioned that it had sentimental value. I'm pretty sure the replacement blade was the correct style for the tool. (I'll double check that this evening when I get home.)

Dave
A

Offline 36chambers

Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 08:14:21 PM
That would be great!

I sent in an '80s one a little over a year ago with a broken tip on the blade. In my note I mentioned that it had sentimental value. I'm pretty sure the replacement blade was the correct style for the tool. (I'll double check that this evening when I get home.)

Dave

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 08:23:12 PM
I'm interested too :D

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 08:27:39 PM
Wow. I just learned something from this thread and now I'm kicking myself. My first ever Multi was a PST I picked up at Sports Authority on clearance. It was in the early 2,000's. At the time I knew nothing of multis. After a month or so I decided I didn't like it, but that Wave sure looked nice.... Anywho I bought a Wave and was hooked on multis ever since. Gave the PST to a co-worker since I didn't like it much and I paid almost nothing for it. And guess what? It had the mid 80's to mid 90's "saber" blade  :rant: I remember that for sure because I know the shape of the blade was one of the things I didn't like about the tool  ::) It must have been some new-old-stock they were getting rid of. I kinda wanna slap myself right now.

Offline 36chambers

Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 08:58:05 PM
well - this all started because my wave's, older version, hinge is loose making the pliers very difficult to use. I started doing research and found that my old PST that was sitting in my tackle box is now kind of a classic.  Just wanted to give it some love and clean it up.

Just goes to show how time flies.   

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 07:27:43 AM
I might contact leatherman and see if they coould replace the broken Flathead and plus its a little loose these days, comes with age i guess  ;) the loose part  :rofl:

paul

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 09:29:35 PM
I might contact leatherman and see if they coould replace the broken Flathead and plus its a little loose these days, comes with age i guess  ;) the loose part  :rofl:

paul

Paul I take it your talking about the flat head on your wave ?   Ok listen carefully I will only say this once  :P  Whitby and co are the importers and distributors of Leatherman in the Uk and they take care of UK warranty . You can send it all the way to the states if you want but Whitby are the official UK LM Warranty guys . Phone them up on  01539 721032 and ask to speak to someone in the Leatherman warranty department . Explain to them you have an original ( old style ) Wave with a broken flat end screwdriver ( tell them exactly which one it is ) and ask if they have any in stock as you don't want the tool replaced with a new style as yours has sentimental value . They will soon let you know if they have one in stock .

Then send your wave recorded and with a letter explaining whats wrong and repeat the bit about wanting your tool back for sentimental reasons to

Leatherman Warranty (UK)
Whitby & Co
Aynam Mills
Canal Head North
Kendal
Cumbria
LA9 7BY

You should have it back in about 7 days .

This is exactly what I done with my SideClip and I got fantastic service .

Dunc

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 09:46:25 PM
FWIW they repaired my original Wave a couple of years back.  I was kinda gutted though they they didn't swap it out.  :D
I'm back!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 09:49:35 PM
FWIW they repaired my original Wave a couple of years back.  I was kinda gutted though they they didn't swap it out.  :D

Alot of it depends if they have the parts in stock so its well worth phoning first .

Dunc

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 10:06:03 PM
Very true.

Just to give you an idea Paul, they swapped the handles out on my one believe it or not.  So I bet you'll be good to go.  :tu:
I'm back!!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 09:34:40 AM

paul

Paul I take it your talking about the flat head on your wave ?   Ok listen carefully I will only say this once  :P  Whitby and co are the importers and distributors of Leatherman in the Uk and they take care of UK warranty . You can send it all the way to the states if you want but Whitby are the official UK LM Warranty guys . Phone them up on  01539 721032 and ask to speak to someone in the Leatherman warranty department . Explain to them you have an original ( old style ) Wave with a broken flat end screwdriver ( tell them exactly which one it is ) and ask if they have any in stock as you don't want the tool replaced with a new style as yours has sentimental value . They will soon let you know if they have one in stock .

Then send your wave recorded and with a letter explaining whats wrong and repeat the bit about wanting your tool back for sentimental reasons to

Leatherman Warranty (UK)
Whitby & Co
Aynam Mills
Canal Head North
Kendal
Cumbria
LA9 7BY

You should have it back in about 7 days .

This is exactly what I done with my SideClip and I got fantastic service .

Dunc

this is great thanks dunc, now as it was my fault will i have to pay ?

paul

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #20 on: January 16, 2010, 09:42:43 AM
I very much doubt it . I snapped the blade on my SideClip and there was no charge  :D

Dunc

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: January 16, 2010, 09:47:21 AM
I very much doubt it . I snapped the blade on my SideClip and there was no charge  :D

Dunc

cheers mate,  :tu: wonder if there sharpen the blade while there at it  ::)  :rofl:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%