Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New guy looking for some advice on first multitool!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Re: New guy looking for some advice on first multitool!
Reply #60 on: January 07, 2010, 09:46:35 AM
Cybertool will definitely be in the future, probably a few months down the road though.

Right now it's definitely looking like the Spirit will be the first full size multitool, just can't decide between the silver finish and the black oxide finish.  Could anyone post some comparison pics between the two? I've been checking out the Spirit Owners thread and that's been pretty helpful, but not too many pics of the BO.

Thanks!
You may have already seen these pics

Dunc

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: January 07, 2010, 12:29:00 PM
You know, I really do think it looks better with the BO rubbed off of the rivet heads. I think it would look really nice if you could remove it from the lock levers too. oooh and the Vic cross on the plier head too. Now that would look sweet.

Offline Abe Arceo

Reply #62 on: January 08, 2010, 03:31:16 PM
Thanks for the pics Dunc!

I was originally going to get the BO Spirit, but I came across an auction on eBay last night and won!  It's for the standard spirit, and while I would have liked the X or S version better, I saved almost $20...so I couldn't pass that up. 

And saving $20 on the spirit gives me an even better reason to pick up the Wave sooner rather than later  :angel:

Anyways, thanks for all of the tips and suggestions guys, I really do appreciate it.  The worst part is now waiting for the Spirit to ship and get here  :ahhh
<

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: January 08, 2010, 04:21:33 PM
Excellent score!  :cheers:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #64 on: January 08, 2010, 04:36:14 PM
Whoa!  Completely missed this new guy...

Congrats on the Spirit.

Looks like you're live in the WBAL/WJZ viewing area as well.  :cheers: 

Welcome. 

[Balmer dialect]....and don't forget the pics, hon. [/Balmer dialect]

Offline Abe Arceo

Reply #65 on: January 09, 2010, 09:12:44 PM

Congrats on the Spirit.

Welcome. 

lol yep, you hit it head on man :P  Actually, in my area we don't use hon as much as they do where I grew up!

Ok guys question:

I haven't even received my Spirit yet and I'm ready to jump on another tool, so what would be a good companion?

I was originally planning on picking up a Wave, but with the Spirit, I wasn't sure if the Wave would be overkill. 

I have a Squirt P4 that will team up with my Spirit...just thinking if I need anything else.  Should I look into the Leatherman Freestyle or Skeletool?  I really do like the Wave, but I think the Spirit and Squirt P4 will cover all of my basis when it comes to most frequently needed tools. 

I stopped by Target today and was able to look at the Skeletool and Freestyle in the package, and man, they're pretty damn sexy, especially the Freestyle.  Target has the Freestyle for $40 and Amazon has the Freestyle for $31 and CX for $45...while the Skeletool is at $48.

I'm going to start searching threads for the Freestyle, but in the meantime, anyone have any thoughts? Like I said, I was originally planning on getting the Wave, but I don't think I really need it since I'll have the Spirit.  The Freestyle/Skeletool might be more justifiable since it gives me the OHO blades in a light/portable package.

Thanks!
<

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: January 11, 2010, 02:06:27 AM

Congrats on the Spirit.

Welcome. 

lol yep, you hit it head on man :P  Actually, in my area we don't use hon as much as they do where I grew up!

Ok guys question:

I haven't even received my Spirit yet and I'm ready to jump on another tool, so what would be a good companion?

I was originally planning on picking up a Wave, but with the Spirit, I wasn't sure if the Wave would be overkill. 

I have a Squirt P4 that will team up with my Spirit...just thinking if I need anything else.  Should I look into the Leatherman Freestyle or Skeletool?  I really do like the Wave, but I think the Spirit and Squirt P4 will cover all of my basis when it comes to most frequently needed tools. 

I stopped by Target today and was able to look at the Skeletool and Freestyle in the package, and man, they're pretty damn sexy, especially the Freestyle.  Target has the Freestyle for $40 and Amazon has the Freestyle for $31 and CX for $45...while the Skeletool is at $48.

I'm going to start searching threads for the Freestyle, but in the meantime, anyone have any thoughts? Like I said, I was originally planning on getting the Wave, but I don't think I really need it since I'll have the Spirit.  The Freestyle/Skeletool might be more justifiable since it gives me the OHO blades in a light/portable package.

Thanks!

I got a Skeletool a little over a year ago and it's been part of my edc ever since, always clipped behind my belt above the rear back pocket  :tu: My Spirit lacking a belt clip (I'm not a sheath guy usually) is part of my edc bag along with a full size flashlight, other tools and items. The Skeletool (haven't had a chance to check the Freestyle out) adds a bit driver (get the bit set, under $20 worth it) biner/bottle opener and extra set of pliers and OH Blade  :tu: :cheers:

Offline Abe Arceo

Reply #67 on: January 11, 2010, 04:02:20 PM

I got a Skeletool a little over a year ago and it's been part of my edc ever since, always clipped behind my belt above the rear back pocket  :tu: My Spirit lacking a belt clip (I'm not a sheath guy usually) is part of my edc bag along with a full size flashlight, other tools and items. The Skeletool (haven't had a chance to check the Freestyle out) adds a bit driver (get the bit set, under $20 worth it) biner/bottle opener and extra set of pliers and OH Blade  :tu: :cheers:

I'm leaning more towards the Skeletool over the Freestyle right now.  I definitely plan on carrying the Spirit with me whenever I can, but I think the SKeletool (with its bit driver) would make a good backup or secondary tool.  I do like the style of the Freestyle, but for a few bucks more I get the carabiner and a bit driver.
<

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #68 on: January 11, 2010, 04:17:16 PM

I'm leaning more towards the Skeletool over the Freestyle right now.  I definitely plan on carrying the Spirit with me whenever I can, but I think the SKeletool (with its bit driver) would make a good backup or secondary tool.  I do like the style of the Freestyle, but for a few bucks more I get the carabiner and a bit driver.
Hey Abe, I don't know if there is a Dick's Sporting Goods near you, but if there is, you might wanna swing by there and actually handle the Freestyle and Skeletool.  They usually have them out of the package on display or they will take one out of the package for you to look at.  I was really interested in the Skeletool until I held one.  I didn't like it at all.  I know that a lot of people swear by them, but it might be beneficial to handle it if at all possible.  Nothing against the Skeletool or Freestyle, but it just wasn't for me.  Just my $0.02.  :)
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: January 11, 2010, 04:19:29 PM
I've never had a Skeletool, but I've always loved the idea of one. It's a good way to carry a dedicated folder along with the multi, yet still also have a couple backup tools. Especially the bit driver since you will already have the dedicated drivers on the Spirit. It's a good combo. Just be careful with the Skeletool around the sheeple at work. One of the reasons you went with the Spirit is to not scare people with the Wave's blade, the Skeletool truly is a "knife with a couple tools attached"

Edit: Gray has a point. I too was disappointed when I first handled a Skeletool at the store and is why I never bought one. I prefer to carry one tool if at all possible, and there is no way I could ever EDC just the Skeletool. The idea of having it as a backup is appealing, and if your the "always carry a dedicated folder with your multi" type, then you can't beat the Skeletool. But since I haven't felt the need for a dedicated knife in a couple years now, I have had zero desire to have a Skeletool.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 04:22:51 PM by thebullfrog »

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #70 on: January 11, 2010, 04:46:41 PM
If weight savings is a serious consideration, the Skeletool starts to look better and better.  I really like it for hiking and climbing trips.  Awesome knife, very functional pliers and excellent bit driver.

The only reason I switch to a Wave/Charge when ice climbing is because I need the file too.

Offline Abe Arceo

Reply #71 on: January 11, 2010, 07:50:08 PM
Stopping into Dicks Sporting Goods is a great idea.  I would love to actually hold one of these and get a good feeling for them, rather than staring at it through the retail packaging at Walmart or Target lol. 

And good point about being careful about the sheeple at work...Since the Skeletool has a similar OHO blade like the Wave, this may be my weekend multitool. :)

Time to keep an eye on eBay for a good deal :cheers:
<

Offline Abe Arceo

Reply #72 on: January 12, 2010, 12:55:31 AM
Just wanted to pop in real quick and spread some good news...

I received my new Victorinox Spirit in the mail today!  Freakin' sweet! 

And not only that, but apparently my wife had a surprise for me and ended up winning a Skeletool auction on eBay and that came in today as well.  Unbelievable!

I guess she was assuming that since I bought a Spirit the coast was clear for her to get me a Skeletool, glad I waited to get one  :D

I've only had a few minutes to play around with them but I'm blown away by the quality of both of the tools. I'm sure I'll write more about them later.

Anyways, gotta put the kids to bed right now, but I'll try to post some pics later today or tomorrow. 

This has been the best day of the week so far  :tu:

<

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #73 on: January 12, 2010, 01:07:17 AM
So not a bad day then all in all?

Congratulations.  :cheers:

You have two excellent tools there, but actually quite different, and if you're anything like me, you'll find each of them useful in different scenarios. They'll actually compliment each other pretty well I would think.

I used to come here a lot.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #74 on: January 12, 2010, 09:23:58 AM
Nice one Abe  :tu:  Really glad your pleased with them . And what a bonus getting the Skeletool .

Dunc

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #75 on: January 12, 2010, 10:41:33 AM
Your wife got you the skely? Does she have any sisters?  ;)

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: January 13, 2010, 07:51:35 AM
Pics  :pok: :pok:

Offline gadgetguy

• New User
Reply #77 on: January 13, 2010, 12:32:35 PM
In my limited knowledge I think a Skeletool would suit you  :D

It has a good knife, pliers & screwdrivers and weighs very little; clip on and forget  :tu:

Once you get that you are on the slippery slope to multitool bankruptcy  :ahhh  :multi: :ahhh

The skeletool works great for screws out in the open, but if they are recessed at all or require a lot of torque, you need a Blast.  Plus the knife blade tends to come out of the skeletool when you twist it hard.

Offline Abe Arceo

Reply #78 on: January 13, 2010, 03:04:52 PM
Your wife got you the skely? Does she have any sisters?  ;)

lol nope, if she did I'd probably marry them too.

Still working on the pics guys! 
<

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: January 14, 2010, 10:36:33 PM
Sir , if you hang out here , you will have multiple multi's .

Chris

Offline Abe Arceo

Reply #80 on: January 15, 2010, 09:06:44 PM
Sir , if you hang out here , you will have multiple multi's .

Chris

Oh yes, the virus has already spread, and the only cure is more multi's  :multi:
<

Offline Abe Arceo

Reply #81 on: January 16, 2010, 03:32:41 AM
I already posted this link in my "Welcome/Hello" thread, but I wanted to make sure the folks viewing this thread saw the pics also (sorry for the double post!)

http://levelupnews.com/staff-blogs/abe-arceo/my-new-multitool-collection/

Definitely loving my new multitools so far  :drool:
<

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24