Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can anyone offer any air rifle advice please?

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Can anyone offer any air rifle advice please?
Reply #30 on: January 16, 2010, 09:56:33 PM
LOL... oh boy, looks like we both need some sleep eh?

I haven't bothered trying thus far but it's o'dark hundred and bed is calling.
Hope you manage to get some too!
Nah, sleep's for lesser people :D

And traditionally not for psychopathic world leaders.
Actually Churchill never slept well either :)

So, non-psychopath cigar smokers too eh?

Still can't figure out why I don't sleep - I rarely smoke cigars  :think: >:D
The whole thing makes no sense :think:

Surely on some level your mind know's it's self destructive not to get any kip!
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #31 on: January 16, 2010, 11:45:50 PM
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

Offline Hedge Kid

• Member 003 of the MickyD Fan Club
Reply #32 on: January 17, 2010, 01:56:36 AM
How much is the refilling kit? I'm presuming that you can get the bottles from BOC but wouldn't have the first clue where to source the regulator and filling nozzle etc (list of what's needed would be appreciated!)

A decent gun shop should stock all you need including the charging gear. Here's a rough price guide for a full setup, based around the Air Arms S200 PCP rifle. The S200 is distributed by the Air Arms company who are based in the UK. It is a small, light rifle that is very highly regarded! It's a single shot bolt action that can be converted to a multishot by the purchase of the Air Arms ten shot magazine add on.

Air Arms S200                                                       £380.00
                         Air Arms Silencer                                                     £40.00
                         Air Arms 10-shot magazine add on                              £70.00

Variable Magnification Telescopic Sight (3-9x40 )
                         plus the required mounts to attach it to the gun           £50.00
                         Stirrup Pump                                                         £130.00
                         3 Litre Diving Cylinder                                             £140.00

All PCP rifles come with their own charging connector. This is a fitting that you attach to your pump or dive cylinder and is then attached to the gun allowing you to refill with air. These days a pump or cylinder will come with it's own guage and air hose so all you need is the charging connector that comes with the gun. A cylinder is the easier but more expensive option. BUT if you are reasonably fit, the pump is worth considering!

If you buy secondhand you can save up to about 35% on new prices.

That's fantastic thank you! The lazy part of me wants to ask how many charges you get out of a 3 litre bottle but the part of me that weighed myself this morning thinks that the stirrup pump is by far the best option!

Will that one take .22 pellets?

Thanks again for such comprehensive answers. You're a star  :cheers:

Right, that's it - you can't have one - too many sheckles  :o

We can live off lentils instead :D

This has the added benefit of us consequently being able to heat the house on the methane generated ;)

Ahem, what about the rule of not butting in on each others threads and bringing money and realism into the equation hmmmm  :twak:

If you want to be around a teenage boy that's living on lentils, be my guest!!!

There.will.be.a.gun.  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppOXpyhM2wA

:D
Mike

Love it  :D

You know that's the only thing that's going to be going through my head when I get my gun don't you!  :D Ya meany
I

Offline Hedge Kid

Reply #33 on: January 17, 2010, 01:57:27 AM
Sounds like you know what you want.

What is the max allowable FPS in the UK?

I can only say from experience based upon my limit of 495 FPS (It is amazing at how in Canada, they sell just below the PAL requirements for most air guns). That a .177 pellet will bounce off of most feathers at that velocity.

Now the .22 caliber is a far larger pellet with enough weight to cause plenty of damage.

I think you should think about what caliber of pellet will meet your needs and select a gun accordingly.

I found this info. It is an interesting read.

http://www.air-rifle.net/selecting/selecting.html

Thanks for that link Chaco, I'll give it a read when it's not so late  :cheers:
I

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #34 on: January 17, 2010, 02:56:50 AM
She says I'm not allowed in her thread any more.... goodbye everybody  :cry:

I'll miss you all...
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #35 on: January 17, 2010, 08:50:01 AM
Well in the spirit of helping by providing information Hedgekid  ;) there is a limit in the UK on the amount of power an airgun can produce. This is 12ftlbs which = about 570feet per second with the average .22 pellet and about 780 fps with the average .177 pellet. Above this limit you will need what's known as an FAC (Firearms Certificate ) An air rifle just under the legal limit is perfectly suitable for humane pest control out to 35 metres or so. The effective humane range is obviously determined by the user's ability.
Calibre choice is tricky, but .177 calibre is just as humane as .22 if used correctly and there are some advantages.
Gabba gabba hey!!

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: January 17, 2010, 03:05:39 PM
Not meaning to pee on anyone's parade , but it takes a lot of practice to be able to take small game with any airgun . I'm talking thousands of rounds , depending on aptitude . Try and find a local club that does hunter class field target. This is fun in and of itself , plus it gives you a chance to handle the guns first hand . The UK practically invented field target , shouldn't be too hard .

Chris

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #37 on: January 17, 2010, 03:34:43 PM
Not meaning to pee on anyone's parade , but it takes a lot of practice to be able to take small game with any airgun . I'm talking thousands of rounds , depending on aptitude . Try and find a local club that does hunter class field target. This is fun in and of itself , plus it gives you a chance to handle the guns first hand . The UK practically invented field target , shouldn't be too hard .

Chris

Good advice  :tu: No one is advocating going into pest control unprepared though.
Gabba gabba hey!!

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: January 17, 2010, 07:48:23 PM
There's a special airguns basics type article in the current (February) edition of Airgun World. It's written by Jim Tyler, my favourite airgun writer :) Might be worth a look.
Prone to daydreaming.

Reply #39 on: January 17, 2010, 10:37:06 PM
There's a special airguns basics type article in the current (February) edition of Airgun World. It's written by Jim Tyler, my favourite airgun writer :) Might be worth a look.
I'll have to see if I can get a copy :tu:

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: January 18, 2010, 12:50:49 AM
I'll have to see if I can get a copy :tu:

WH Smiths stock it :)
Prone to daydreaming.

Offline Hedge Kid

Reply #41 on: January 18, 2010, 04:11:07 PM
Well in the spirit of helping by providing information Hedgekid  ;) there is a limit in the UK on the amount of power an airgun can produce. This is 12ftlbs which = about 570feet per second with the average .22 pellet and about 780 fps with the average .177 pellet. Above this limit you will need what's known as an FAC (Firearms Certificate ) An air rifle just under the legal limit is perfectly suitable for humane pest control out to 35 metres or so. The effective humane range is obviously determined by the user's ability.
Calibre choice is tricky, but .177 calibre is just as humane as .22 if used correctly and there are some advantages.

What would you say the advantages are of using.177 instead of.22 then?

She says I'm not allowed in her thread any more.... goodbye everybody  :cry:

I'll miss you all...

Don't be silly, as long as you don't talk about money and realism you are more than welcome  :pok:

Chris

Any advice gratefully received Chris, there's no parade to pee on  :)

You make a good point. Thankfully I've had considerable experience of shooting small game (albeit a while ago now) - I just didn't pay any attention to the actual mechanics of the gun! It's the shopping that's a problem, not the shooting!

To put your mind at rest, I do intend to shake the rust off with some target practice before I go near any live targets. Otherwise it would be a very inefficient hunt!

Thanks Craig, I'll pop in to WHSmiths on my way home and see if I can get a copy  :tu:

I

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #42 on: January 18, 2010, 04:43:27 PM
I seriously hope this "target practice" you speak of does have anything to do with me running naked through the local park at dusk again  :ahhh
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Offline Hedge Kid

Reply #43 on: January 18, 2010, 05:25:36 PM
I seriously hope this "target practice" you speak of does have anything to do with me running naked through the local park at dusk again  :ahhh
:pok: Aw gwaaaan. Be supportive. You know that a moving target is the best  ;) >:D
I

us Offline texasflyfisher

• I'd rather be fishing
Reply #44 on: January 18, 2010, 06:24:03 PM

Again?  :o

Reply #45 on: January 18, 2010, 06:25:42 PM
:pok: Aw gwaaaan. Be supportive. You know that a moving target is the best  ;) >:D

We'll want piccies :drool: :drool:

As for the relative merits, Well .177 shoot's along a much flatter trajectory, so range estimation is less critical :)

.22 have generally better knock down power, but at the expense of a rainbow like (relatively) flight path :)

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: January 18, 2010, 07:20:39 PM
As a general rule .177's group tighter . When the kill zone is small , group size matters . 5mm is another option , only pellets are tuffer to come by . Forget knockdown power , you are restricted to 12ft.lbs. ( a .22 rimfire IIRC is 73-90 ft.lbs. ) . It's all about accuracy , otherwise you would all be using the old skool .25 airguns .

Chris
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 07:23:30 PM by Styerman »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44