Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why do we collect?

Poll

How do you view your collection?

It's a hobby for fun
13 (65%)
It's an investment
1 (5%)
I do not have a "collection", rather they are my EDC items
5 (25%)
"Other"
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: January 25, 2010, 08:26:34 PM

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Why do we collect?
on: January 11, 2010, 08:26:34 PM
Interesting articles about the psychology behind collecting. The first one is from the "Cutlery News Journal" and the second one is the reference article from "The National Psychologist". Insightful!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Why do we collect?
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 09:19:38 PM
Well I'm sort of an accidental collector :think:

I get them with the firm intention of edc-ing them, but have more than I could possible use in this life time :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 09:21:41 PM
I buy one then realize i need another tool  :D plus to many bargains about,  :tu: plus everyone needs a hobby  ;)

paul

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 09:48:52 PM
You didn't ask, but here's my story.  :D

I've gone from a non-collecting user->collector->accumulating user.

When I first started I'd just buy tools because I thought they were neat and useful. When I put a multi-tool in my pocket it felt like I was ready for anything the world could throw at me. During this period I purchased maybe 1-2 tools a month and would often sell or give away tools I didn't really want anymore.

I transitioned to a collector when I found this site and got into all the different designs and details of the individual tools. More often than not I would buy a tool and not use it outside of some light home use just to get a feel for it. My tool purchasing probably averaged 10-15 tools a month and I would not sell any tool I acquired. I'd also spend time looking up patents and printing out the interesting diagrams that are often found therein, adding them to a little multi-tool collection binder I have.

Financial obligations caused me to sell off most of my collection and all that remains are a few tools that have personal value and the one tool I EDC, a Bob-clipped Spirit. During this time period my purchases have fallen to 0 tools a month ( :-[) I don't really see anything intriguing anymore. Most of the newer tools don't feature a toolset I like and a pocket clip so I no longer purchase anything. Couple this with the fact that I can't really afford to buy a tool I'm not able to carry and use and that's how I've come to more of a functional/useful EDC focus. I have a "collection" but it's more of an accumulation of tools that have a history of use that I like to be reminded of from time to time by handling them and remembering. I don't plan to sell any of my current accumulation.

I do expect I'll get back into a collecting focus one day, there are always interesting designs, and although they may not appeal to me in an EDC role they look like fun tools to collect. I've never really seen it as an investment in that I didn't expect or really want to make any money at it but I did find the rush of snagging a tool way below market quite addicting and to a large extent that fueled my purchasing during those collecting days.

I'm waiting for Bob and Chako to chime in. :pok:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 03:27:58 AM
I have a sort of sentimental reason for collecting.

Oddly enough, 2 years ago, I would have never thought of collecting MTs and SAKs.

In fact, it was my father that sort of pushed me into collecting.

He was a tradesman who loved the concept of Leatherman when they first came out. He didn't buy one because he knew that at their price, he would hate to damage it for work. Consequently, he bought several cheap MTs instead. When he would wear one out, he would replace it for a new but equally cheap MT. His first good MT was the Schrade ST1 quickly followed by the Leatherman Pulse. These were his dress MTs for when he wasn't at work.

In the mid 90s, we bought a matching set of American Campers for the 3D archery range. That was my first MT. That got the bug started sort of. I had lusted after my father's ST1, and found a Coleman Pro Lock that was in my price range at the time. That would be my first good MT. I was attracted to it due to the similar look of the Schrade, and it had these neat removable tool pods. The concept never took off by the way. The Coleman and the American Camper were the only ones that I had for years.

Roll forward to late June 2008. My father had just passed away from a long bout of Cancer. I was left with cleaning up his room and found several of his MTs here and there. I got them together just to prioritize them, etc. I quickly found out that I had a small collection going when I combined his with mine. I figured it would be a wonderful way to honor the memory of him as he always had one on him if I got into collecting them. I started to do some research on the Schrade that I loved so much when I was younger, and the Leatherman Pulse, not to mention a few others. I found MT.org and read all the home page reviews and found it highly informative. I had as of yet, found the forums feature. In fact, I was on the main site for a year and a half or so before I found the forum section. By the time I joined the forums, I had already started to buy the odd MT.

Well once I joined the forum and realized I wasn’t all alone, I started to collect in earnest. It didn’t take long before I bought a few SAKs to find out what all the fuss was about. I quickly realized that the SAK side was highly addictive as there were so many to get. Not to mention the rich history of these little knives.

So there you have it, one of the reasons why I started to collect MTs was to honor my father. So there is definitely a sentimental side to this for me. I can be honest and say that prior to this event; I loved MTs, but never thought about collecting them. Frankly, before joining up, I thought there were only 5 Swiss Army Knife models out there. How wrong I was. 
Come to think of it, I flatly denied I was a SAK collector for the first few months. I had to come to that sinking feeling once I bought the Anniversary/Heritage Soldiers after stating that I couldn’t see the appeal in them for their price. I got into SAK collecting because I found them so darn irresistible with their infinite variety and rich history.  Not to mention I also enjoy marrying this with photography, another of my hobbies. So I get a double kick of enjoyment every time I get a new acquisition.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 07:52:08 AM
I also forgot to add that my dad got me my first MT back in 98 a original wave, you all probably know the story by now, so not only that through him being a bad father he taught me to be a better one, he showed me the way in good MT's  ;) and here i am  :tu:

paul

Offline mhhanson

Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 06:08:43 PM
 :multi:   :sak:   :climber:   :oops:

Then sometimes it just happens.  I grew up in a fashion you never
wasted anything.  For years I have recieved gifts, bought a few things on sale, bought something when I needed it and salesmen would give you things when you bought seed, tractors, etc.  Sometimes those things were knifes.

Then a couple days ago I had to move tools etc between various tool boxes and chests to make max use of space and improve organizations so people outside of myself could find something.
It was then I realized I had an accidental collection that had developed over a number of years.

I found
2 PST's
2 PST II's
2 Pulses
2 Side Clips
1 Super Tool
1 Super Tool 2000
5 Micras
1 Squirt P
2 Squirt E
1 Wave
1 Kick
1 Core
1 Gerber Legend 800
1 Gerber 400
1 Gerber MPT
1 SOG Power Lock
1 SOG Power Assist
1 SOG Power Plier
1 SOG MPT?   It is the one where the pliers fold
1 SOG Mini
1 Schrade ST1
1 Schrade Vise Grips
1 Bear Mini
1 Toolzall
7 Pocket knifes with seed company advertising
7 Pocket knifes with tractor advertising
3 Lock backs with tractor advertising
10 pocket knifes with Misc advertising
2 Buck 110's
2 Buck folders various sizes
7 Case pocket knifes various sizes
10 Vic Classics
3 Explorers
1 Tinker
2 Swisstools Large and Small
2 Soldiers
1 Pioneer
3 Schrade Lock Backs various sizes
1 Electrician knife
5 Bear pocket knifes various sizes
3 Schrade pocket knifes various sizes
5 that I am not sure who made them.

The count was 117 bladed tools from rough to new shape.

The very eclectic group from an accidental collection.

Screwdriver, wrench, socket sets were just as bad as where most of the rest of the hand tools.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 06:40:27 PM
Wow mhhanson - that's some "accident"  :o

1 SOG MPT?   It is the one where the pliers fold

Maybe a SOG Paratool? (Like this: http://mtblog.org/index.php/davescollection/2009/09/24/sog-paratool)

I collect stuff because it's fun, plain and simple :)

I used to come here a lot.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 06:50:38 PM
I collect stuff because it's fun, plain and simple :)

It really is, isn't it..  :D :D

us Offline stack

Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 06:03:53 PM
Well for me, I think it started when I was going to school and it was something I was not suppose to have. You know how kids want what they cant have. Then after getting sone cheap ones, it was never good enough,they were never big enough, ect...As I got older I had to have one expensive knife so I bought a folding puma with wood handles. I was very proud of it. Me and a friend went out of state on a reptile collecting trip and while we were out there I was afraid I was going to loose it so I put it under a rail on the railroad tracks. We got home and i remembered I had left it there. :( Well I had to replace it with another, and another and so on and so on. IM still never happy with what i already have and am still trying to replace it. :D :D :D :D

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 06:16:32 PM
In the multitool department, I'm quite content with what I have now, though I do want the Style, Style CX, and Ps4, and the MUT (maybe?) too.  While for knives, I'm undecided; I'll me selling my Forrester for the OH Forrester that will be coming out soon, though, but don't have any other SAK wants at the moment, aside from whatever strikes my fancy at gun and knife shows.

Lights are another matter entirely, however.  I'm looking at the Quark series of heads and bodies, but I just don't know.  I know I'd also light a good, heavy duty light for the dorm room or apartment, if need be, but I'll wait until the summer for that.  Still, if I had unlimited funds, I'd go crazy on lights, I bet. o.o;

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 08:36:09 PM
One of the few things I collect is multi-tools because I desire something functional. Inanimate trinkets aren't nearly as fun as a tool with unlimited potential such as a ST300. When I think of the many tasks I've accomplished with my Wave...it's practically a pocket-sized toolchest. I use cutting tools (knives/scissors), screwdrivers, pliers etc daily and have admired multi-tools, knives and SAKs since pre-school (I'm 33 now).

I'm very happy to have these forums to share the interest  :climber:

Steve
SAW

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 03:02:44 AM
One of the few things I collect is multi-tools because I desire something functional. Inanimate trinkets aren't nearly as fun as a tool with unlimited potential such as a ST300. When I think of the many tasks I've accomplished with my Wave...it's practically a pocket-sized toolchest. I use cutting tools (knives/scissors), screwdrivers, pliers etc daily and have admired multi-tools, knives and SAKs since pre-school (I'm 33 now).

I'm very happy to have these forums to share the interest  :climber:

Steve

That describes my feelings to a tee Steve :salute:  (except for the being 33 part) :-\ :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

spam Offline lyndontravis

• New User
  • Livestrong!
Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 08:57:50 PM
I don't have collections. One thing is for sure that is I have fun reading your post.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 10:22:25 PM
I don't have collections. One thing is for sure that is I have fun reading your post.

Cheers mate :salute: and its good to have you on board! :tu:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Pacu

Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 10:09:28 PM
I collect so when the S____ hits the fan in 2012 my post-apocalyptic army will be well prepared.  ::)

:like:    :MTO:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 02:38:34 AM
I collect so when the S____ hits the fan in 2012 my post-apocalyptic army will be well prepared.  ::)

Can we postpone that until 2013 please? We're planning a trip to Disneyworld in 2012. :)

us Offline Pacu

Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 03:02:03 AM

Can we postpone that until 2013 please? We're planning a trip to Disneyworld in 2012. :)

Only if i can go....and ya gotta buy me some mouse ears too
:like:    :MTO:

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 11:02:04 AM
The voices tell me to collect or something bad will happen in 2012 (Disneyland or not).. :ahhh :ahhh

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 01:32:27 AM
The voices tell me to collect or something bad will happen in 2012 (Disneyland or not).. :ahhh :ahhh

Listen to the voices Allan, listen to the voices. :pok: :D

us Offline airballrad

• Gadget Addict
Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 03:54:45 PM
Another fun thread to resurrect.  :D

My collection started innocently enough. My first MT was a PST that I was given by a friend. I was in his wedding party, and he gave one to each of his groomsmen. He even had the wedding date and the groomsman's name engraved on each. I carried this for several years until I happened across a Pulse on sale (they had just come out). Not wanting to mangle my fingers anymore on non-locking tools, I picked it up.

A few years later, I was in the store with my wife when we wandered through the sporting goods section. They had several LM Cores on clearance for $15 each and Gerber MP600's for $10 each. I was only able to get one of each, but if my wife had not been there I'd have cleaned them out.  >:D

It was all downhill from there. I found my wife's original Wave sitting abandoned (and virtually unused) in a book bag from when she was in IT at school. I snagged a Juice S2 on sale for a smaller EDC.  I talked my way into a Charge TTi for my birthday one year. Etc, etc...

I have some SOGs and Gerbers, but I still love Leatherman the best. Anytime I find another tool on sale, I need to buy it (even if it puts me in the doghouse for a while). I was incredibly grateful to find such a community of like-minded deviants enthusiasts as yourselves.   :rofl: :cheers:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 02:20:23 AM
We're not deviants. We're the normal ones. :multi: It's everyone else that is screwed up in the head. :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 03:33:09 AM
I can  :drink: to that!  :D
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 04:46:29 AM
Could all the threads we collect on any given topic be considered a collection?  I think we may all have collection fever but this disease can be fun. 

Offline cocoparkivy

• New User
Reply #24 on: June 29, 2011, 05:33:54 AM
Just figuring out how to SPAM... :P  :P

:twak:

« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 06:38:50 AM by AHB »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #25 on: June 18, 2017, 11:39:36 PM
I just needed 6 years to think about it...

I spend so much time on the SAK forum I didn't realize that I probably should have gotten involved in the Collectors forum a while back.

I started as a user,  now user/collector, but in the back of my mind it's probably an investment.  Gotta admit, a lot cooler to look at than a balance, and if you have a trained eye you can find awesome stuff for pennies on the dollar, probably a better return than most traditional investments.

I just love collecting, I get as excited finding an old Camper w/inlay for a few bucks as I do finding an old true Vintage SAK/Soldier/much more expensive knife.    SAKs are so infectious... I found myself continually stretching the boundaries of what I collect.  Vic/Wenger... as long as it's Swiss... I've limited myself to one DAK and one GAK and one 111mm just to have some representation in those types but most of my stuff is 58mm up to 93mm. 

I'm waiting for a few more acquisitions to arrive and then I will make a post of the current collection as is.  :salute:
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 11:40:47 PM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: July 06, 2017, 12:13:06 AM
Whoa necrothread

Bottom line for me is OCD.
This I now realise, hence why I've stopped and no longer frequent the forum as much.

The compulsion to have it, regardless of finances, whether I needed it or even whether I already had it...but wanted another too....Go figure!! :facepalm:
Was unbelievable, I just had to have it, no if's or but's I'm buying regardless.
Then when it arrived, it just got stored away never to see the light of day again.
But it wasn't just MTs/SAKs I was like it with everything, one was never enough, had to have a minimum of 3!!

Looking back on it all I realise now how tragic collecting can become. It consumes your life, your collection suddenly owns YOU.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #27 on: July 06, 2017, 12:46:11 AM
Whoa necrothread

This I now realise, hence why I've stopped and no longer frequent the forum as much.

The compulsion to have it, regardless of finances, whether I needed it or even whether I already had it...but wanted another too....Go figure!! :facepalm:
Was unbelievable, I just had to have it, no if's or but's I'm buying regardless.
Then when it arrived, it just got stored away never to see the light of day again.
But it wasn't just MTs/SAKs I was like it with everything, one was never enough, had to have a minimum of 3!!

Looking back on it all I realise now how tragic collecting can become. It consumes your life, your collection suddenly owns YOU.

Do you keep everything that you've bought without consideration of eventually selling?

I have experienced what you described, but have always been able to stop before things got too extreme.  At one point I sold about half of my collection and broke even.... leaving me with a pretty awesome collection with the only price being my time and effort.... which reaffirmed my collecting tendencies...  Now I think... If I buy enough, then sell and keep the ones I really like... it won't cost me much... maybe even nothing.

This might seem cheap or unfair to some... I don't think so.    I always sell for fair prices... just REALLY keep my eyes open for great deals.

Rant finished.
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: July 06, 2017, 08:03:58 PM
Whoa necrothread

Do you keep everything that you've bought without consideration of eventually selling?

I have experienced what you described, but have always been able to stop before things got too extreme.  At one point I sold about half of my collection and broke even.... leaving me with a pretty awesome collection with the only price being my time and effort.... which reaffirmed my collecting tendencies...  Now I think... If I buy enough, then sell and keep the ones I really like... it won't cost me much... maybe even nothing.

This might seem cheap or unfair to some... I don't think so.    I always sell for fair prices... just REALLY keep my eyes open for great deals.

Rant finished.

Certainly fair on this side of the pond, if I were to grab three tools from stateside members on here I could essentially get one for free after selling the other two here despite paying for shipping.

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: March 28, 2018, 09:52:22 PM
I like to hunt and find rare beautiful and useful things.

I don’t collect only one brand. I’m looking for quality and rare stuff that looks cool

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%