Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bit adapter madness

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Bit adapter madness
on: June 13, 2007, 02:09:58 AM
Bit adapters seem to be the norm with any new multitool that comes out.  I think it's a good idea.  Anything thats expands the usefulness of the tool works for me. Some work better than others.  Here are a sampling of the ones I have.  Do you guys know of any others.

The first is the LM Bit Extender for the LM tools that have the bit changer (New Wave,Charge models, and Surge) 
I like the adapter.  It really extends the reach of the driver. It can take the LM flat bits as well as normal Hex bits.
new.jpg
* new.jpg (Filesize: 27.78 KB)
new1.jpg
* new1.jpg (Filesize: 26.5 KB)
"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Re: Bit adapter madness
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 02:12:18 AM
This is the adapter that fits the Blast, Fuse, Kick, Core as well as the Juice line of tools.  It can take LM flat bits as well as normal hex bits.
new2.jpg
* new2.jpg (Filesize: 31.31 KB)
new3.jpg
* new3.jpg (Filesize: 27.35 KB)
"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 02:15:22 AM
Another adapter is this one that fits on the Gerber Deisel, Freehand, and Suspension.  The bits fit nicely with a magnetic holder but the adapter is a bit wobbley on the Gerber phillips driver.
new4.jpg
* new4.jpg (Filesize: 30.22 KB)
new5.jpg
* new5.jpg (Filesize: 29.37 KB)
"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 02:19:02 AM
This is an older adapter that fits the "Old" LM Wave.  It fits over the head of the pliers when the tool is closed. It takes normal hex bits. It's a pretty useful rig that can even fit on a Vic SwissTool.
new6.jpg
* new6.jpg (Filesize: 35.09 KB)
new7.jpg
* new7.jpg (Filesize: 28.51 KB)
new8.jpg
* new8.jpg (Filesize: 33.13 KB)
"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 02:23:11 AM
The last one I have is for the SOG line of tools that have the 1/4 drive attachment. The drive attachment can take 1/4 sockets as well a 1/4 socket to hex bit driver attachment.  The really expands the type of jobs that your SOG tool can perform.
new9.jpg
* new9.jpg (Filesize: 29.79 KB)
new10.jpg
* new10.jpg (Filesize: 28.31 KB)
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 03:31:16 AM
This one I have for Gerber 600 and 400-series tools is very well made. It has a single magnet in the center that retains the bit as well as holds the adapter onto the multitool.

new11.jpg
* new11.jpg (Filesize: 44.42 KB)
new12.jpg
* new12.jpg (Filesize: 44.68 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 08:40:23 PM
Prime, how could you not tell us the most important piece of information?! Which works the best in your opinion, and why? Which works the worst, and why?
How do you think the best type of bit extender would be designed?

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 04:23:06 AM
Prime, how could you not tell us the most important piece of information?! Which works the best in your opinion, and why? Which works the worst, and why?
How do you think the best type of bit extender would be designed?
I like the two LM adapters. They are both small and are easy to carry and take the LM flat bits nicely.   But one very annoying drawback of both of them is when using normal hex bits because they are shorter than the LM bits they sometimes get pushed in making it very hard to pull them back out. 
Picture 1805 (Small).jpg
* Picture 1805 (Small).jpg (Filesize: 20.58 KB)
Picture 1812 (Small).jpg
* Picture 1812 (Small).jpg (Filesize: 22.37 KB)
"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 04:25:14 AM
Kick, Fuse, Blast, Core and Juice adapter
Picture 1815 (Small).jpg
* Picture 1815 (Small).jpg (Filesize: 20.05 KB)
Picture 1819 (Small).jpg
* Picture 1819 (Small).jpg (Filesize: 20.03 KB)
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 12:05:03 AM
Hmmm, not much a guy can do about that, eh? The extensions have an extra-deep hex receptacle to fit the Leatherman double ended bits, so regular single ended bits get swallowed up.  :(

Somehow I'd never tried that myself.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 01:42:55 AM
Double ended normal hex bits work good in the LM adapters.
Picture 1874 (Small).jpg
* Picture 1874 (Small).jpg (Filesize: 18.09 KB)
Picture 1866 (Small).jpg
* Picture 1866 (Small).jpg (Filesize: 28.33 KB)
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 02:15:36 PM
This is an older adapter that fits the "Old" LM Wave.  It fits over the head of the pliers when the tool is closed. It takes normal hex bits. It's a pretty useful rig that can even fit on a Vic SwissTool.

Hey Prime, we were wondering if the Universal Bit Adapter fits okay on the little Leatherman Mini-Tool?

Link:  http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,1614.msg17832/topicseen.html#msg17832

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 12:26:04 PM
As far as I know LM made two bit adapters.  One called the standard tool adapter for the SuperTool and SuperTool 200, but it also fits the PST, PST2, Pulse and Sideclip.  The other adapter, the one I have is the "Old" Wave or Universal Adapter that fits every LM except the SuperTool and ST 200.  The two are still listed on the LM website. It does fit the Minitool and the SideClip....

Never having actually handled either one, I'm still somewhat confused about the differences between the two Leatherman bit adapters. Apparently they only differ very slightly? Here is a decent comparison photo I found showing the two side-by-side:

* Tool Adapter Comparison.jpg (Filesize: 31.78 KB)

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 10:15:20 AM
To make things even more confusing, remember reading one time that the "standard" adapter came with a special clamp that could be used to make it fit the old Wave. I can't remember where I found this pic online, I saved it along time ago. I guess the clamps are between the bits and sockets.

* 1a_1.jpg (Filesize: 19.37 KB)
"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 02:23:16 AM
Here's two more adapters from the Wenger swiss family of multitools.  First up is a adapter that fits over the small screwdriver on the SwissGrip. It takes regular hex bits and really extends the reach for driving screws.
new.jpg
* new.jpg (Filesize: 28.25 KB)
new1.jpg
* new1.jpg (Filesize: 23.4 KB)
"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 02:27:46 AM
Next is the adapter that is comes on the Wenger pocketgrip. It's carried at the bottom of the pocketgrip and takes regular hex bits that are carried in a small plastic carrying case that fits in the middle of the tool.
new3.jpg
* new3.jpg (Filesize: 29.28 KB)
new4.jpg
* new4.jpg (Filesize: 32.2 KB)
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 03:46:59 AM
Good show Prime, I'd forgotten about those two. Am I correct in thinking that the Wenger PocketGrip one is the only extension out there that is carried "on-board" the tool itself?

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 04:00:24 AM
Good show Prime, I'd forgotten about those two. Am I correct in thinking that the Wenger PocketGrip one is the only extension out there that is carried "on-board" the tool itself?
I was thinking about the same thing and as far as I know it is.
"

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 08:49:27 PM
Hmm, my brother is having a few difficulties finding a leatherman bit adapter that can fit the PST / minitool, anyone have any leads? How much does it cost in the states (since it will obviously be less expensive than in the UK)?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #19 on: June 29, 2007, 09:05:59 PM
He should try the Universal Tool Adaptor:

http://multitool.org/content/view/96/67/

I think it's a pretty handy little gizmo, and cheap enough.  I think it runs about $20-25 or so.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 05, 2007, 10:25:08 PM
Here is a adapter for the Bear and Son Bear Jaws tool that fits over the rather big phillips driver.

* Picture 2071 (Small).jpg (Filesize: 25.79 KB)

* Picture 2065 (Small).jpg (Filesize: 22.37 KB)
"

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #21 on: July 05, 2007, 11:50:10 PM
I'm gonna have to get me one of them sooner or later....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: July 06, 2007, 06:50:07 PM
Here is a adapter for the Bear and Son Bear Jaws tool that fits over the rather big phillips driver.

Where did you find that one?

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #23 on: July 07, 2007, 10:07:28 PM
Another adapter is this one that fits on the Gerber Deisel, Freehand, and Suspension.  The bits fit nicely with a magnetic holder but the adapter is a bit wobbley on the Gerber phillips driver.

Thanks for the info, prime77.  If you would be so kind, please answer the following questions:

-Is this adapter made by Gerber?  Is there a source you would recommend?

-How bad is the wobble?  Just a slight inconvenience?  Bad enough to make using the adapter a PITA?

-Have you verified that the adapter fits all the Gerber multis you mention?

I am contemplating modding my new Suspension to add a bigger Phillips.  But, if there's a bit adapter available that'll work with Suspension, that'd probably be a better way to go.

N

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: July 08, 2007, 07:57:10 AM
Yes the adapter you are asking about is made by Gerber. The one I have came with the Diesel model I have. The wobble isn't that bad but it's still there, not enough to make using the adapter difficult. I have the Suspension and the Diesel so I know that the adapter will fit those models. I understand from your modding Suspension thread that you may switch some of the Suspensions tools out for older Gerber tools. If you do switch out the Suspensions skinny phillips driver for the older one you will have to go with the adapter that J-Sews posted because the newer on won't fit over the thicker driver. Hope this helps :)
"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: July 08, 2007, 10:47:06 AM
I found this adapter on a cheap tool. Outdoor Edge Trek Tool and thanks to Corrugated thread on SOG parts I put it on the SOG PowerLock and it fits fine. It takes up 5 implements so I don't see much of an advantage to having it. It looks cool though and if you want to use full size hex bits it will work for you.

* Picture 2098 (Small).jpg (Filesize: 30.69 KB)

* Picture 2103 (Small).jpg (Filesize: 19.99 KB)
"

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #26 on: July 09, 2007, 05:43:19 AM
Yes the adapter you are asking about is made by Gerber....If you do switch out the Suspensions skinny phillips driver for the older one you will have to go with the adapter that J-Sews posted because the newer on won't fit over the thicker driver. Hope this helps :)

Thanks a lot, prime77.  That does help.

This adapter looks to be a decent solution to immediately extend the functionality of my Suspension.

Eventually, if I am able to find a used Gerber tool with a bigger Phillips and file that will fit the Suspension, I do want to mod it.

However, this adapter would still work after the mod because my Suspension would still have the smaller Phillips.

So far, I haven't been able to find a source for these adapters.

The Gerber website is extraordinarily unhelpful at providing useful info on products.  No decent pics, info on weights, dimensions, and no listings of exactly what accesories are available for the various products.

Is there anywhere that you know of to buy the correct bit adapter kit that will fit the Suspension?

Thanks again for your help.

N

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: July 09, 2007, 08:03:37 AM
I don't know of anywhere that just sells the bit adapter but I'll keep a look out for one.
"

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #28 on: July 09, 2007, 11:51:11 PM
I don't know of anywhere that just sells the bit adapter but I'll keep a look out for one.

Thanks, prime77.

I do appreciate your help.

N

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: July 10, 2007, 04:14:35 AM
This thread finally had the inevitable effect on me; I broke down and bought one of those Leatherman adapters. It came today, but.....

It didn't come with one of these fancy clamshell carrying cases like Prime has here:

Instead mine has a big dorky leather sheath, and a even dorkier plastic carrying contraption inside.

I like the adapter, but no way am I going to lug it around in a sheath that is bigger than my multitool sheath.  :(

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%