Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

To you bicycle gurus...need some advice.

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
To you bicycle gurus...need some advice.
on: January 13, 2010, 05:47:49 PM
Hi all,
I need some advice.  I have a Cannodale T800 touring bike.  I love the bike (in fact it's about to get a facelift).  But, I cannot get along with the drop handlebars.  The bike is a tad too big for me, for one.  Two, I cannot get along with the drop handle bars.  So, i'm going to get those swapped out for a flat bar.  There's several issues on that: One, should I get just a straight bar, mustache, other?  Two, I don't need new brakes but I've got the integrated brake shifter thing on there right now with the drop bars.  I also need a new shifter.  Forgive me if my terminology is off.  So my question is, what are your suggestions?  The only thing I know for sure is that I don't like the handle bar shifters. Other than that, I just don't know.  Right now the bike shop is quoting me $100 for everything including parts and labor...I don't want to go much over that.  I also don't know enough to do it myself or I would.  I'm not looking for top of the line, just something compatible with what I've already got on the bike.  Here's a link that describes the bike and components.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  I won't be doing this for a while...at least until the weather gets better so I've got time to research exactly what I want and/or accumulate parts that will end up being cheaper in the long run perhaps.  Thanks in advance.
Gray
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2007&Brand=Cannondale&Model=T800&Type=bike
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

Offline P35

Re: To you bicycle gurus...need some advice.
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 06:03:12 PM
$100 doesn't seem out of line to me

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 06:06:49 PM
$100 doesn't seem out of line to me
It's not.  I'm not complaining about that at all.  They told me that the bar would probably run me $20-$30, the grips $15, labor and the shifters and brake levers would make up the rest of that, but I'd have to come in an look at a catalog to choose what I wanted.  I don't know much about this stuff so I wanted some advice so I didn't end up going too much over $100.  :)  Wanted to be prepared when I got there.  I'm disgustingly OCD about that. 
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 06:10:22 PM
that does sound reasonable. I remember doing/looking for mods similar and they all suggested I just get a new bike! :twak:

I did the handle bar swamp out myself, wasn't hard, I'm with you not a "drop" fan (hurts the back!)

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 06:11:28 PM
I think a set of moustaches would allow you to still use your exsisting brake/shifter controls :)

Pm Terry (Nutsak) as he's well up on this subject :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 09:30:08 PM
Hi guys, I'm resurrecting this old post because I still need the same advice.  Physical therapist (physiotherapist) told me today that I should really consider not using the drop handlebars anymore because I really shouldn't be flexing my middle back since I"ve torn those ligaments.  So my original question is, what sort of alternative should I be looking at?  The moutainbike fit is fine, I'm not upright, but I'm not hunched over and my middle back stays relatively straight when I ride it.  So, again, I'm open to suggestions. 

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 10:06:23 PM
I'm still gunning for you getting a set of moustache bars :pok: :pok:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41