Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

2010 SHOT- Buck Booth

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
2010 SHOT- Buck Booth
on: January 20, 2010, 07:45:59 AM
While our appointment to visit the Buck Booth wasn't technically for a few days yet, we did manage to accidentally meet with them this morning before getting to Victorinox.  This was really good as we got to look at some new knives and tools first hand.

The Paklite Guthooks were the first tools to catch my attention, as I thought they might appeal to the one piece tool crowd here.  While they aren't multitools since they really only have one function, I still thought they were worth a look!

The stainless model retails for $25, while the BO version is $30.  While these are designed to be guthooks, I can also see them serving well as rescue type tools, although they are targeted at hunters as they are packaged with hunting knives as well as being sold individually.

The FDX cutter is a collaboration between Buck and TOPS Knives and features an oxygen wrench in addition to the cutter and a kydex sheath.  It comes in at an MSRP of $55.

One interesting thing we found out about Buck today is that they are actively moving most of their production back to the USA.  This is great news on so many different levels, and I am very pleased to see that they are taking the initiative to make a move like this in such a competitive marketplace.  Kudos to Buck, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the future holds.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Re: 2010 SHOT- Buck Booth
Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 08:45:13 AM
Awesome what they're doing. :tu:

I think my Raker Ring Tool serves the purpose for now, though...
Might get one anyway... hmm.
Got those frog legs.

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 01:55:45 PM
They look pretty nice.  I can't wait to see what else Buck has at the show.  :)
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 02:46:43 PM
I really like the looks of that FDX Cutter. :tu:

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 03:07:32 PM
I really like the looks of that FDX Cutter. :tu:

+1.  Nice looking tool.
I'm back!!

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 05:29:46 PM
BACK to the USA? Nice. :salute:
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 05:32:00 PM
That just leaves me wondering if the newly-back-in-the-US knives will be of the same quality as their international works... I remember someone stating their foreign-made knives were not only cheaper, but of better quality, than the US models. :/

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 06:24:56 PM
That just leaves me wondering if the newly-back-in-the-US knives will be of the same quality as their international works... I remember someone stating their foreign-made knives were not only cheaper, but of better quality, than the US models. :/
:twak: :twak:
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 08:55:47 PM
I don't like 'em!

Well, I don't like anything much that looks like that to be honest, so these are no different  :D

Perhaps I have never got the point of such items - any care to extol the virtues for me?
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 09:29:30 PM
:twak: :twak:

What, Kelly? XD  I'd rather have quality, personally, but best of both worlds would be more US jobs right now, and even better quality. >.>

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 08:29:43 AM
The changes at Buck seem to be across the board, and all for the good as far as we were concerned. At a time when other makers like SOG have moved virtually all of their manufacturing to Asia, Buck has adopted an aggressive program of moving knife manufacturing back to the USA. :salute: The primary reason, we are told, is to better manage and maintain the high standards that have come to be associated with the Buck brand.

Another important change at Buck is the recent and widespread use of Sandvik steels in many of their knife blades. According to their testing, the Sandvik steels showed better corrosion resistance and increased ductility over prior steel grades. And we heard similar encoraging news about handle materials, etc.

Definitely some good news going on at Buck right now! :tu:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Magnus

Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 09:33:26 AM

they will probably be at least twice as expensive, with no distinguishable positive difference....

If, the quality somehow increases, then it will be worth the inevitable price increase, however I just can't see it, especially on what is essentially a stamped piece of steel like these are.

but I guess only time will tell.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 09:45:26 AM by Magnus »
[

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 05:18:33 AM
They did not mention anything about any new multitools in the forseeable future did they?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 05:51:17 AM
They did not mention anything about any new multitools in the forseeable future did they?

No upcoming new tools were mentioned. :-\ Buck told us for the time being they will continue to anchor their multitool line with the X-tract family (X-tract, FIN, LED, and Essential) which are made in China while the shift back to more US-made knives is going on.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 03:07:55 AM
What's tthe ETA on the FDX?
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 06:39:28 AM
What's tthe ETA on the FDX?

>.>

IDK the ETA on the FDX.  Sorry, just had to say it. XD

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00