Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Too destruction!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Too destruction!
on: June 15, 2007, 10:36:22 AM
Hi guys, how many of you have had a swiss (or any other product) fail on you in some catastrophic way?

I,m not talking about destruction testing, just normal use and occational abuse?

I,ve been a serious knife user since i was thirteen and although i,ve managed to hurt myself a few times :cry: i,ve never broken a knife,sak/multitool, am i doing something wrong ??? ;D

All stories and gory pictures welcome >:D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Re: Too destruction!
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 11:54:06 PM
Just about destroyed myself with them a few times through stupidity but the tools have never failed.
T

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 12:00:50 AM
I once busted a corkscrew off on a friend's SAKKO.   :(

(Swiss Army Knife Knock-Off, made in Taiwan.)  :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 12:05:02 AM

you should get a medal for services to the genuine article ;D

god i hate knock offs, they give saks a bad name :angry:

Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 12:05:45 AM
Just about destroyed myself with them a few times through stupidity but the tools have never failed.
been there, done that ;D

wear the scares with pride :D

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 01:17:29 PM

With respect, that ain't to hard to do!!
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 02:11:03 PM
Hi guys, how many of you have had a swiss (or any other product) fail on you in some catastrophic way?

Hehe...I can't help but notice that we're not getting much feedback on this question. Not surprising really; the strength and quality in these products is incredible. Honestly, I've never experienced a failure in any knife or tool produced by a reputable manufacturer. This is 50% due to the quality of the product, and 50% due to the fact that I don't push the item beyond it's limits. I don't pry with knife blades or file blades, I don't hammer on wrenches when trying to get a tight bolt unstuck, and I don't use flathead screwdriver blades as cold chisels.

Using a tool for only what it was designed for is half the battle in making it last a long time.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 04:02:40 PM

Hehe...I can't help but notice that we're not getting much feedback on this question.
your not wrong ;D

but like you i think most of us exercise a fair bit of brain and judgement choicing a multitool/sak in the first place, then use equal brain/judgement in using them :)

to my mind the number one cause these days when a QUALITY tool get broken is human error, so in turn we must be an exceptionally bright bunch here ;) ;D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 08:36:50 PM
I have a SAK knockoff with a broken pin.  I was trying to use the screwdriver but apparently the screw was stronger than the pin in the knife and it broke, then fanned out like a bunch of cheap steel cards.

I still have it somewhere.  I keep it as a reminder not to try and use cheap tools.  I'll post a picture of it sometime...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 10:45:58 PM
I had a SAKKO once, and the blade bent backwards. I don't even remember ever using it.  :o
[

Offline AJ

Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 11:12:01 PM
Not me, but it was my Gerber.
Being a Gerber it must have been about 12 years ago or so now.

I was out working with the bosses son one long cold dark day.
We were installing some appliances and I was inside the house working on the dishwasher.

The kid comes in and ask me for a knife to cut open the other appliances we had to unpack.
I give him my gerber. A while later he comes back in and I ask him if he got everything unpacked.

He tells me he did and gives me back my Gerber. I put in back in the sheath on my belt.

About 5 minutes later I go to use the knife on it and the blade had been snapped off and only about 1/2" of it was left.

The dumb son of a, he gave it back to me after busting the blade off and did not say a word about it!

Come to find out he was using the blade to try and cut the steal bands that were around one of the boxs.

:twak:
[

Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 11:53:56 PM
Not me, but it was my Gerber.
Being a Gerber it must have been about 12 years ago or so now.

I was out working with the bosses son one long cold dark day.
We were installing some appliances and I was inside the house working on the dishwasher.

The kid comes in and ask me for a knife to cut open the other appliances we had to unpack.
I give him my gerber. A while later he comes back in and I ask him if he got everything unpacked.

He tells me he did and gives me back my Gerber. I put in back in the sheath on my belt.

About 5 minutes later I go to use the knife on it and the blade had been snapped off and only about 1/2" of it was left.

The dumb son of a, he gave it back to me after busting the blade off and did not say a word about it!

Come to find out he was using the blade to try and cut the steal bands that were around one of the boxs.

:twak:
thats the sort of story that makes my blood boil :angry: not only are people completly tool use ignorant these days but, they don,t even feel sorry when they break them ::)

then when ya tell them how much it cost, they don,t belive you, and even if they do they think your some kind of idiot for spending that amount of money on something they saw at a market for £5! :angry:

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 05:32:12 AM
I broke my benchmade folder.  Before my wife bought me an Emerson CQC-7 I had bought a Benchmade Stryker.  For those of you who dont know what that is, it is basically a "better constructed knockoff" of an Emerson CQC-7B.  I was cutting plastic bands off of a bundle of survey stakes.  The knife was very sharp but the plastic was heavy and I managed to render the knife inoperable by stressing the lock to the point where it failed and would no longer close.  I solved the problem by taking the knife apart that night and setting things back where they should be.  The knife has not been the same since it is loose.  My advice, get an Emerson instead of a fake one.  They do not break.

Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 08:20:08 AM
I broke my benchmade folder.  Before my wife bought me an Emerson CQC-7 I had bought a Benchmade Stryker.  For those of you who dont know what that is, it is basically a "better constructed knockoff" of an Emerson CQC-7B.  I was cutting plastic bands off of a bundle of survey stakes.  The knife was very sharp but the plastic was heavy and I managed to render the knife inoperable by stressing the lock to the point where it failed and would no longer close.  I solved the problem by taking the knife apart that night and setting things back where they should be.  The knife has not been the same since it is loose.  My advice, get an Emerson instead of a fake one.  They do not break.
:o :osounds exspensive, i,m suprised a lock failed on a benchmade :(

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 04:58:54 AM
Me too- I always thought Benchmades were pretty solid.  Of course I haven't bought one since before they started color coding them.

I think I only have one left.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline tomcrx

Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 04:22:52 AM
In my years of backpacking:

1. Torqued a Spartan blade while batoning with a miss hit. It was -15 and my aim was way bad

2. Bent the tip on a Climber blade using it as a phillips on a sled repair.

3. Bent Liners on another SAK using screwdriver as a pry bar

4. Totally destroyed a SAK saw blade cutting into wood that I did not know had barbed wire embedded in it

5. Busted 2 pair of scissors. One dropping and busting the spring, the other by using as a pair of pliers
during a camping stove repair.

6. Torqued a small blade using it to open shellfish and cut the crap out of my hand at the same time.

The good thing was at the time the SAK was all I had as tool on these trips and they accomplished what I needed done.

Reply #16 on: July 05, 2007, 10:40:51 AM
In my years of backpacking:

1. Torqued a Spartan blade while batoning with a miss hit. It was -15 and my aim was way bad

2. Bent the tip on a Climber blade using it as a phillips on a sled repair.

3. Bent Liners on another SAK using screwdriver as a pry bar

4. Totally destroyed a SAK saw blade cutting into wood that I did not know had barbed wire embedded in it

5. Busted 2 pair of scissors. One dropping and busting the spring, the other by using as a pair of pliers
during a camping stove repair.

6. Torqued a small blade using it to open shellfish and cut the crap out of my hand at the same time.

The good thing was at the time the SAK was all I had as tool on these trips and they accomplished what I needed done.

:o :o :o :o

now thats what i,d call abuse ;D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31