Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for a keychain flashlight

Offline Abe Arceo

Looking for a keychain flashlight
on: January 17, 2010, 04:45:49 AM
Well, now that I have a small collection of multitools, I'm beginning to think that carrying a little flashlight on the keychain would be a good idea.

I've done some searching today and the two I have it down to are the following:

-Photon Rex

-Fenix E01

I've heard so many great things about the Fenix E01, but I think having a tail switch or a button would make using it so much easier.  

The Rex is definitely smaller and I like the idea of 4 LEDs along with the ability to recharge it using regular or rechargeable batteries.  With a ton of toys around the house from 2 kids, we have a bucket load of rechargeable batteries so that really helps.  It also comes with multiple functions, so that's a plus.

I haven't read too many reviews on the Rex, but the product and the whole concept sound amazing.

If you guys have any suggestions for a keychain flashlight please chime in.  I don't think I'd want to go with anything larger then a Fenix E01 though, gotta keep it light and small :)

Thanks in advance!
-Abe
<

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Re: Looking for a keychain flashlight
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 04:55:40 AM
I would go for the Fenix E01. It's a great light and you really don't need a clicky for a keychain flashlight anyway. I would love to see you spend more $$$ and buy an Arc-P.  :tu:  Here is a link:

http://www.arcflashlight.com/arc-aaa.shtml
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 07:06:19 AM
Lthough a single led the gerber tempo is a very bright little torch, u use mine alot when getting my bike in and out of the shed ,plus would be very useful if i had to do repairs on my bike in the middle of nowhere in the dark, plus you can pick them up at a good price,

paul

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 10:03:59 AM
The Arc's are awesome, and you'll never ever break one :tu:

Having said that, the Eo1 is a fine torch, as is the Tempo. Best of all they can both be had really cheaply :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 10:06:30 AM
If you don't need to send any 'Bat-Signals', the Fenix EO1 is a great little light..  :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 11:08:02 AM
I've been enjoying my LM Monarch 300.  I had almost the exact same request a few months back.

Quote from: Gareth
What I'd love is a Fenix E01 with a tail switch, but as I don't think that exists I'm open to suggestions.  Priorities are:

*tail switch
*single AAA cell
*10 or so lumens
*long as possible run times
*in the same price range as the E01.

my full thoughts in this review here.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,15406.0.html

As you can see though it's a little bit longer than you might want.  For some extra light in a smaller package have a look at the Fenix LD01 (the newest version of the L0D you can see in my thread) it puts out an amazing amount of light for such a small torch. :tu:

http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=61
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 11:14:23 AM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline Abe Arceo

Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 02:34:14 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys! Never thought about the Gerber Tempo or the Monarch 300, I'll throw both of them on the list as well!

The Fenix L0D and LD01 seem amazing, but a little pricey for what I'm looking for. 

Still on the fence about the Photon Rex...it is a bit more expensive, and now my wife mentioned that I should just order two of whatever I decide, that way she can keep one on her keys too  :o  So for the price of one Rex I can order both of us a Tempo/Monarch/300/E01.

I wonder how long it will take for me to start a mini collection of flashlights now lol :think:
<

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 03:14:59 PM
Maybe it's just me but the Rex looks like a bit of a fiddle to recharge from a battery.  If you get caught out and the power runs down it's not like you can just stick a spare battery in it. :-\

i found this review form when it was just being launched, about half way down the page.

http://www.equipped.org/ORSummer2007.htm

Offline Abe Arceo

Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 04:02:48 PM
Maybe it's just me but the Rex looks like a bit of a fiddle to recharge from a battery.  If you get caught out and the power runs down it's not like you can just stick a spare battery in it. :-\

i found this review form when it was just being launched, about half way down the page.

http://www.equipped.org/ORSummer2007.htm

Thanks for the link man.  I think the head band is mandatory if you buy the Rex lol  :D

But I think you're right about recharging the Rex. Now that I think about it I probably don't want to have to worry about if the only flash light on me is charged and ready to go.

And I probably don't need to send "bat signals", so I probably won't miss the multiple modes.

Can anyone comment on how easy/hard it is to twist the Fenix lights on/off?  I'm assuming they made these things knowing that  most users will be using one-handed operation?
<

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 04:22:32 PM
Can't speak for the E01, but my L0D is very smooth and easy to use one handed.  I suspect that that should be true of all twistie lights.

au Offline peterxyz

Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 04:38:07 PM
The only thing that I found wierd about the Fenix E01 is that it doesn't have a from lens/cover.

That said, I like the twist action and the brightness and simplicity work well for what I use it for (spare for finding bits and pieces in the car, etc)

Peter

au Offline peterxyz

Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 04:40:33 PM
The only thing that I found wierd about the Fenix E01 is that it doesn't have a from lens/cover.

That said, I like the twist action and the brightness and simplicity work well for what I use it for (spare for finding bits and pieces in the car, etc)

Oh and I should say - not being a complete Falsh-a-holic (yet at least) I'm going for AA and AAA toraches that I can stop at the shop and buy some extra batteries to drop in if I need to. For me at least anything that doesn't fit that rule (which includes some really nice mini-lights that take button-cells) is out.

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 04:52:12 PM
I am no torch expert but I think you should at least have a cheap LED keychain light as a back up :D

I got a pack of 12 for £8-99; there are so light and quite bright  :tu:

I have a Maglite Solitaire and tried it on my keyring but it just got in the way.

au Offline peterxyz

Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 04:58:34 PM
I got a pack of 12 for £8-99; there are so light and quite bright  :tu:

Do you have a link to a source?

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 05:01:35 PM
I like the cheapie Photons , and clones thereof . No tears if one gets battered . The Streamlight Nano is worth a look , and very small .

Chris

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 05:14:06 PM
Another option the ITP EOS A3  :D kicks A** with LIion 3.7v battery  :D

england Offline AddictedToTools

Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 06:48:12 PM
I use an LED Lenser V8. I don't know how it compares to other small torches, but I really like it. There is also a smaller version, the V9.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 06:52:12 PM
I'm using a Fenix LD01 which is awesome but a little spendy for a keychain light.  Going to try a Maratec in a few days--1/2 the price of the LD01, same brightness.

RE: Twistie vs tailcap

FOR ME, I've found tail caps get accidently turned on way more in my pocket than twisties do.  Therefore I prefer Twisties in my pocket.  Tail caps are easier to use one handed though, so I prefer them in bags and packs.

ymmv

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 10:05:30 PM
I'll just chip in on the Rex.  It was brighter than I anticipated and makes for a good little torch. Charging is easy and you can charge from basically any 1.2 or 1.5V cell. 

Now mine did just die on me for no good reason but that said it was replaced swiftly under warranty with no questions asked.
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline vicky86

• New User
Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 08:16:54 AM
Well, now that I have a small collection of multitools, I'm beginning to think that carrying a little flashlight on the keychain would be a good idea.

I've done some searching today and the two I have it down to are the following:

-Photon Rex

-Fenix E01

I've heard so many great things about the Fenix E01, but I think having a tail switch or a button would make using it so much easier.  

The Rex is definitely smaller and I like the idea of 4 LEDs along with the ability to recharge it using regular or rechargeable batteries.  With a ton of toys around the house from 2 kids, we have a bucket load of rechargeable batteries so that really helps.  It also comes with multiple functions, so that's a plus.

I haven't read too many reviews on the Rex, but the product and the whole concept sound amazing.

If you guys have any suggestions for a Flashlight Key Chains please chime in.  I don't think I'd want to go with anything larger then a Fenix E01 though, gotta keep it light and small :)

Thanks in advance!
-Abe

I have a Mini LED Flashlight Keyring which Powered by 4 AG3 button cell. That Key chain with a LED light for lighten the dark road and for return, and help me more.

Offline Abe Arceo

Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 02:51:21 PM
Thanks for all of the replies guys!

I think what I'm going to do is order a batch of those proton-like button flashlights from DealExtreme first.  Knowing the way my family is, once they see it they'll want one, so I can give them out at first.  Then once that dies down in the next few weeks I'll look into getting a AAA type of keychain flashlight, like the Fenix E01 or even something from Tank007.

I'd love to get an LD01 or L0D (I think those are the model numbers) or even something from ITP...so maybe instead of getting a flashlight in the $10-$15 range now, I'll wait and save up for a flashlight with multiple modes :)
<

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 03:02:55 PM

I think what I'm going to do is order a batch of those proton-like button flashlights from DealExtreme first.  Knowing the way my family is, once they see it they'll want one, so I can give them out at first.  Then once that dies down in the next few weeks I'll look into getting a AAA type of keychain flashlight, like the Fenix E01 or even something from Tank007.

I'd love to get an LD01 or L0D (I think those are the model numbers) or even something from ITP...so maybe instead of getting a flashlight in the $10-$15 range now, I'll wait and save up for a flashlight with multiple modes :)

That sounds llike a good idea  :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 03:09:05 PM

The LD01 is just the replacement for the L0D, so your more likely to find a LD01 these days.  That said if you find a good price on a old L0D there really doesn't seem to be much in it performance wise. :tu:

Offline Abe Arceo

Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 03:47:58 PM

The LD01 is just the replacement for the L0D, so your more likely to find a LD01 these days.  That said if you find a good price on a old L0D there really doesn't seem to be much in it performance wise. :tu:

Ok cool, I'll be on the lookout.  I might have a hard time justifying the hefty price tag to my wife though, especially since I splurged on my multitools the past couple of weeks. 

After reading some reviews over at CPF the Tank007 seems pretty decent especially for the price.  I'm also not sure if I would really use the 3 different light modes/settings on the LD01.
<

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010, 04:21:36 PM
I hadn't come across the Tank before, looks like it's a good light.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #26 on: January 19, 2010, 05:29:35 PM

Sneaky McSneakster! I'm telling your wife! :D
Got those frog legs.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 19, 2010, 08:27:23 PM

That's the norm for lights with 5mm LEDs.  The lens is built into the LED itself.  It's polycarb, so it won't scratch easily and will never shatter.
- Terry

Offline space cowboy

Reply #28 on: January 23, 2010, 10:25:14 PM
I think an Arc AAA or Arc-p AAA would be a good choice. They have a proven track record in a true survival situation. If its real cold where you live be sure to use Lithiums.. good to -40 below F. I was also informed that the Gerber Infinity Ultra is also a good choice. I would only go twisty & not clicky for true survival must have light. Read on other forums the clicky can act up on you..as in not working!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%