Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New SwissTool X is stiff to open, will it ease with use?

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
New SwissTool X is stiff to open, will it ease with use?
on: September 28, 2006, 02:48:42 PM
SwissTool owners, has your SwissTool become easier to open after you use it for a while?

My new SwissTool X handles require a lot of force to open to access the pliers.  The same was true with the original Leatherman SuperTool, but it became much easier after I used it for several months.

What has your experience been with your SwissTool handles?  Have they grown easier to open to deploy the pliers?

Thanks.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Re: New SwissTool X is stiff to open, will it ease with use?
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 04:36:34 PM
My Swiss tool is about two years old, and for the first year I had it as an EDC, and no, it has never loosened up.  The tools are tight as anything as well.  My poor nails were always sore when I had to use it because it was a tight pull on the individual tools.  As a matter of fact, sometimes I'd have to pull one tool out just to reach another because it was too hard to use the nail nick on said tool.  So, no, it won't loosen up.  However, that is not necessarily a bad thing, as it shows it's a friggin hard-core, dependable tool.  But tight, I believe, is how it will remain.  I wonder if the tools or pliers are as hard to get to on the Spirit?

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 04:58:15 PM
My Swiss tool is about two years old, and for the first year I had it as an EDC, and no, it has never loosened up.  The tools are tight as anything as well.  My poor nails were always sore when I had to use it because it was a tight pull on the individual tools.  ...

Thanks for the insight.  The individual tools on my SwissTool X are just the right tightness.  Sounds as if those on your SwissTool are as uncomfortably tight as those on my old Schrade Tough (to open) Tool.

I like how the individual blades on the SwissTool don't clump together like they do on most other brands.  I was mainly interested in the tightness of the 2 handles when opening them to deploy the pliers.

I only had a minute to try a Spirit and don't recall much about its tightness.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 09:06:55 PM
My SwissTool is about two years old also and while I haven't carried it everyday I have used the pliers allot and I think the handles are pretty much as tight as when I got them new.  I agree with Navajero316 that it just shows how well built the SwissTool is.  My Spirit being a smaller tool the pliers are a little easier to open but still have that good snap shut and open feeling.
"

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 09:24:08 PM
My SwissTool is about two years old also .... I think the handles are pretty much as tight as when I got them new.  I agree with Navajero316 that it just shows how well built the SwissTool is.  ....

Thanks for the comments.   I've been using the new SwissTool X at every opportunity and am liking it a lot.  It is the first large multitool I have which has blades on the outside instead of the inside -- a real convenience.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%