Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Are SAKs Multi Tools

yud · 139 · 10612

Poll

Are SAKs Multi Tools

Yes,
No,
I don't know

Offline Magnus

Re: Are SAKs Multi Tools
Reply #120 on: January 21, 2010, 10:28:38 PM
A couple of other things to consider...

We have multitool.org AND sosakonline.  If SAK's were simply MT's why have both?

to increase advertising revenue? *ducks*  :rofl: :rofl:
[

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #121 on: January 21, 2010, 10:32:07 PM
I'd say the Shark was the equivalent of a Surge, and the Fish a CRKT Guppie (see what I did there  :pok: :D).

A SAK would be a squid.  :D

Bargain, I'll take it :tu:  ;)
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #122 on: January 21, 2010, 10:32:31 PM
Hehe!  :D
I'm back!!

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #123 on: January 21, 2010, 10:35:27 PM
I'd say the Shark was the equivalent of a Surge, and the Fish a CRKT Guppie (see what I did there  :pok: :D).

A SAK would be a squid.  :D
I would say SAKs are Sharks (top of the cool list), SwissCards are Rays, and leathermen type MTs are normal Fish.

But squids are really cool :D I love cephalopods
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 10:37:54 PM by yud »

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #124 on: January 21, 2010, 10:36:20 PM
I'd say the Shark was the equivalent of a Surge, and the Fish a CRKT Guppie (see what I did there  :pok: :D).

A SAK would be a squid.  :D

Bargain, I'll take it :tu:  ;)

Oh, I get it. Haha! Because you Brits have a stupid money system... :D

Bartering in fish. :think:
Got those frog legs.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #125 on: January 21, 2010, 10:38:11 PM
Bartering in fish. :think:

::) Now that would be plain daft!  We stick with molluscs :D
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #126 on: January 22, 2010, 07:12:13 PM
I can't be arsed to read all the pages, but has anyone pointed out that SAK stands for Swiss Army Knife? Not Swiss Army Multitool.

Whilst a SAK clearly (sometimes at least) have "multiple tools", it would also be correct to define them as "multi purpose knives and tools fabricated from steel and fabric". The point is though, that noone does - they (including the manufacturers and most retailers) call them Swiss Army knives. Victorinox don't describe the Swisstool or the Spirit as Swiss Army Knives, they distinguish quite clearly between them.

It works the other way too. Leatherman describe their similarly formatted knives with drivers (e.g. e306) as knives, again, distinct from their multitools.

All this "well they have multiple tools" is pure semantics.
I used to come here a lot.

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #127 on: January 22, 2010, 09:09:47 PM
Tell' em Dave!  :D    That is why we use MT & SAK, not SAT or MK.   :D
[

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #128 on: January 22, 2010, 10:12:49 PM
I can't be arsed to read all the pages, but has anyone pointed out that SAK stands for Swiss Army Knife? Not Swiss Army Multitool.

Whilst a SAK clearly (sometimes at least) have "multiple tools", it would also be correct to define them as "multi purpose knives and tools fabricated from steel and fabric". The point is though, that noone does - they (including the manufacturers and most retailers) call them Swiss Army knives. Victorinox don't describe the Swisstool or the Spirit as Swiss Army Knives, they distinguish quite clearly between them.

It works the other way too. Leatherman describe their similarly formatted knives with drivers (e.g. e306) as knives, again, distinct from their multitools.

cant really argue with any of that.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #129 on: January 22, 2010, 10:26:04 PM

cant really argue with any of that.

Yes. It's semantics. That's exactly the point. What the heck? ::)
Got those frog legs.

Offline ratslash7

Reply #130 on: January 22, 2010, 10:34:56 PM
So can we say that it is the format that dictates the nomenclature? i.e. a tool that is in a folding knife format is referred to as a "knife" no matter what other tools are included...Or is it a "Swiss Army Knife? (If I have a knife that has two blades and a can opener, is that a SAK or just a knife? What if it's made in Taiwan?)...  and a tool that is based on pliers, scissors or even folding pliers will be referred to as a multi-tool?

If this is right,where does this tool (mentioned earlier in this thread) fit in?

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm not arguing with anyone. I have read this thread through a couple of times and I don't know which side to take. Both make excellent points. I like to use the right words for things and I thought it was easy 'till this thread. I'd love it if us experts could straighten this out and (mostly) agree. Then I could feel confident that I'm correctly describing what's in my pocket to folks that are not on this board.

A

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #131 on: January 22, 2010, 10:37:59 PM
I really don't see what's so fudging hard to get about this. Multi-tool is an umbrella term for any tool that provides more than one friggin' function. There's nothing to get. Most SAKs are both a swiss army knife (it's swiss made, it has a knife, sometimes their army uses it?) and a multi-tool (it's more than a knife! except for the single-blade models)! A leatherman is a multi-tool often in a butterfly plier type format!

WHAT IS THERE TO GET?! ArGH!11

I'm going to cry myself to sleep now. Some people need to learn about data structures or something...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 10:42:55 PM by Freudian Frog »
Got those frog legs.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #132 on: January 22, 2010, 10:43:04 PM
Whilst Frog cries, I will answer your question ratslash.

Going by MY criteria, that is a multitool.  Although it is a Wenger product, it fits in the MT bracket the same way a Vic Swisstool would.
I'm back!!

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #133 on: January 22, 2010, 10:44:24 PM

Going by MY criteria, that is a multitool.  Although it is a Wenger product, it fits in the MT bracket the same way a Vic Swisstool would.

Out of curiousity. Would you consider the SAK models with pliers multi-tools? Or a knife that just happens to serve every single function that something else that you WOULD call a multi-tool?

EDIT: And is the Wenger Giant a SAK despite being impossible to use as a knife? :rofl:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 10:46:30 PM by Freudian Frog »
Got those frog legs.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #134 on: January 22, 2010, 10:48:15 PM

Going by MY criteria, that is a multitool.  Although it is a Wenger product, it fits in the MT bracket the same way a Vic Swisstool would.

Out of curiousity. Would you consider the SAK models with pliers multi-tools? Or a knife that just happens to serve every single function that something else that you WOULD call a multi-tool?

EDIT: And is the Wenger Giant a SAK despite being impossible to use as a knife? :rofl:

You seem to be hooked on the plier thing.  That makes no odds at all.  If I stuck pliers on my toaster is that then a MT?  No it isn't, so a SAK with pliers is still a SAK.
I'm back!!

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #135 on: January 22, 2010, 10:50:09 PM

You seem to be hooked on the plier thing.  That makes no odds at all.  If I stuck pliers on my toaster is that then a MT?  No it isn't, so a SAK with pliers is still a SAK.

Yes. As I could toast stuff and... ply stuff. Not a very useful multi-tool, mind you... but it still is. Unless, you glued the pliers on. Then you can't really use 'em. :think:

Is this a ninja star or a multi-tool then? Certainly looks like a ninja star. If I glued several tools to the tips of a ninja star it'd still be a ninja star? I say this tool is both ninja star and multi-tool! And what do you classify the majority of keychain tools? They certainly don't look like Leathermans or SAKs. Must be... keywidgets.

EDIT: Done for today, if it's still an issue tomorrow I'll be back. :rofl:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 10:55:45 PM by Freudian Frog »
Got those frog legs.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #136 on: January 22, 2010, 10:51:02 PM

That's a good question. I agree with Ben that those Swissgrips(?) are more like multitools than SAKs - perhaps because the pliers (rather than the knife blade) are the predominant (at least most obvious) function. If so, then A SAK with the farty little pliers would be a SAK in my book, rather than a multitool.

Which is where we came in I think ;)

EDIT: I believe the correct categorisation for the Wenger Giant would be "bonkers".
I used to come here a lot.

Offline Magnus

Reply #137 on: January 22, 2010, 11:21:11 PM
I really don't see what's so fudging hard to get about this. Multi-tool is an umbrella term for any tool that provides more than one friggin' function. There's nothing to get. Most SAKs are both a swiss army knife (it's swiss made, it has a knife, sometimes their army uses it?) and a multi-tool (it's more than a knife! except for the single-blade models)! A leatherman is a multi-tool often in a butterfly plier type format!

I'm going to cry myself to sleep now. Some people need to learn about data structures or something...

or, to put it another way
Code: [Select]
public class SAK extends MT
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

now don't make draw it in UML
[

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #138 on: January 23, 2010, 12:32:31 AM

or, to put it another way
Code: [Select]
public class SAK extends MT
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

now don't make draw it in UML

I was tempted...
Got those frog legs.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00