Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Unloved and underated

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Unloved and underated
on: January 18, 2010, 06:04:44 PM

There is not much love out there for the Spyderench/Byrdrench and it's sad.  :cry: This tool not only comes from a well known and respected company but it's such an awesome feat in engineering. They had the setbacks on production and availability in the past but then when it finally got a stable foothold where enough were available for anyone to purchase one that Spyderco announces that it's being discontinued again. I realize this tool does not have needle nose pliers or a can opener/bottle opener....or heck even scissors; but you have to be in awe of how darn cool this tool is. It's the only tool out there that features slip-jointed pliers and an adjustable at the same time! It's features 6 different drivers and a one hand opening blade which is by far the best in the business. How many other tools out there can be separated so the wrench and the drivers can be used independently of each other? I just wish more folks would give this oddity more of a chance in the multitool industry, it's really not that bad and it's so unique that there may never be another tool so radical that it makes folks take notice. So come on folks, let's hear it for the Spyderench and give the 'ol girl a go! Once you get one for you collection/use you will use it more than you ever thought.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Re: Unloved and underated
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 07:27:58 PM
It's too clunky, IMO.   ;)
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 07:28:45 PM
Whilst I agree with just about everything you said there David, the fact is that I don't use it as much as I thought I would.

It is totally ingenious, an absolutely unique design, but ultimately it's too awkward and fiddly to get to the things you want to use.
I used to come here a lot.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 08:02:01 PM
I have actually been carrying the ByrdRench for the last week or so.  Not bad, but I find the slippy plier jaws tend to slip a little too often and "lock" when the joint comes partially apart.  It's not the end of the world, but it can be a little annoying.

Still, I like the adjustable wrench and the ability to use the screwdriver independently of the wrench.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline GotUCovered

Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 11:40:42 PM
It looks neat, but man does it look heavy.  What's that badboy weighing in at?

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 11:44:47 PM
It's too expensive for me to love and rate it. =P
Got those frog legs.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 11:52:49 PM
Oh it's not too heavy, I make it 7.6oz (compared to the Surge at 12oz, it's lightweight)!

It really a fantastic piece of design and engineering, and you can see where the manufacturing cost comes from. Each tool is excellent in isolation, and the way it separates into two halves makes it very useful. In theory.

I simply find it a little too much hassle to get to the tool you want, so it'll never replace my favourites.

If you collect tools at any level though, you've really go to get one of these - it is so unlike anything else. Apart from the Byrdrench of course.

I've been wanting to do another Youtube video on tools actually, and this is a great candidate. Maybe that will spread some love David :D
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 02:53:06 AM
I've only held one that a friend owned and I found it ingenious but I just couldn't see myself carrying it.  The fact that it has no needle-nosed pliers precludes it from EDC for me, I use that daily.

If I ever see one up for trade I'll probably give it a try.
:)

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 02:57:28 AM
Alright... I might be persuaded.

Found it here: http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_store.html?ttl=Spyderco%20Multitools&srch=woCATE%20CODEdatarq%3Dsp%20by%26eqWWWCAT_1datarq%3Dmulti

Which should I get? Byrd or Spyder?

And has anyone bought from that site before?
G

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 03:01:01 AM
And no, "Made in Taiwan" does not bother me. Taiwan makes some pretty good stuff if you ask me.
G

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 12:05:33 PM
Like I said, it's kinda far out there as far as multitools go but it's not as bad as some folks think. I would go for the Spyderench and not the byrd if I was you Glorn, course that is just a personal opinion. I see the Byrd line is in China and they are not bad at all, maybe it's a psychological thing with me?  ::) I think if I can find time I will make a video like you Dave and show the world what makes this tool tick and how it can stack up against the competition. I have been carrying my tool for a couple days and I figure why not, I need to keep carrying it and see how it holds up to most situations I come across. It won't fit the bill for everything so I will have another tool around if need be but only as a last ditch effort.

Glad your using it Grant, hmmm  :think: My tool doesn't have those issues (the slipping), mine is ok enough that I can open and close the tool one handed. I have heard that complaint about the "renches", maybe I got lucky with this one?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 12:57:57 PM
I found this nice little video on the Byrdrench.

Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 02:44:35 PM
I find my Byrdrench is a little bulky to use & actually meant to use it when fixing my son's BMX today , but I went for my Schrade ToolBox because it was at hand. Bloody clever bit of kit  :tu: :tu:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 04:28:38 PM
I tried one, just too Klugedup for my taste . The removeable folder was as loose as the proverbial goose !

Chris

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 04:37:50 PM
Ive not got one of these yet and due to my taste im sure ill get one soon, also handy on my bike trips,

paul

Offline joebw

Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 05:51:24 PM
Hi Glorn,

In response to your question regarding the Knife Center, I've bought quite a few things from them and found them to be top-notch.

Best - Joe

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 06:25:52 PM
Alright... I might be persuaded.

Found it here: http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_store.html?ttl=Spyderco%20Multitools&srch=woCATE%20CODEdatarq%3Dsp%20by%26eqWWWCAT_1datarq%3Dmulti

Which should I get? Byrd or Spyder?

And has anyone bought from that site before?

I own a Byrd and bought it from Knife Center.  I've bought several knives from them.  They can be a bit high but they definitely are dependable.  I think the biggest difference between the Byrd and Spderco is the Byrd has a plain edge blade and the Spyderco has a serrated edge.  If you are getting one to collect then I would say get the Spyderco because they are no longer made.
[

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 12:23:10 AM
It seems like a well made piece, but for some reason that specific model jsut never "sang" to me.
S

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 01:08:25 AM
It seems like a well made piece, but for some reason that specific model jsut never "sang" to me.

Is it singing to you now?  :D

[youtube] [/youtube]
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 01:13:42 AM
Wow That really made me not want one!!

Is it just me or did they all have Bens hair!
S

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD