Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Stolen SportRatchet

J-sews · 17 · 3984

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Stolen SportRatchet
on: June 16, 2007, 07:10:02 PM
It's here!!

Oh my goodness is this thing ginormous! It most closely resembles a big red brick, with fold out tools. Somehow I had never grasped how truly wide the SportRatchet is from Def's photos. No wonder it bombed out quickly. Utterly ridiculous to ever consider carrying, yet superbly constructed. I like it!   ;D

(pictured below next to my red alox Pioneer, for comparison)
Vics.jpg
* Vics.jpg (Filesize: 49.28 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Stolen SportRatchet
Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 07:14:43 PM
Top view:
Vics top.jpg
* Vics top.jpg (Filesize: 62.27 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 07:25:16 PM
Wow  :o  You lucky git  ;)

Dunc

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 07:39:21 PM
I picked up the AutoTool last week, but I'd rather have a SportRatchet.

Trade? ;D ;)

How much was it?
[

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 09:17:04 PM
nice toy and one hell of a high quality, heavy duty paper weight too ;) ;D

I,d love to get one as a collection piece, it must be one of the few times vic got it wrong.
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 02:31:58 AM
I picked up the AutoTool last week, but I'd rather have a SportRatchet.

Trade? ;D ;)

How much was it?

Hehe, no trade! I picked this one up for a paltry $25, including shipping. (Hence the title of this thread.)  8)

I,d love to get one as a collection piece, it must be one of the few times vic got it wrong.

I do believe you are correct there sir. From a company that always seems to have their act together, the SportRatchet and the AutoTool are somewhat shockingly bad ideas.

But that's partly why I love them so much.  ;D

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 06:33:53 PM
nice toy and one hell of a high quality, heavy duty paper weight too ;) ;D

I agree with you,I think Vic got it wrong on both counts with the Sport Ratchet,and Auto Tool. I was a little disappointed with the Sport Ratchet,when I saw the ratchet mechanism was marked CHINA.I really have nothing against Chinese made goods,but surely Vic could've found a  Swiss source of ratchets.The Auto Tool,was a big honking handful for me,and I'm a big man with big hands.I also felt that even for a multi,Vic attempted too much on one chassis.
I

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 07:28:25 PM
I do think a swisstool is about as big as you really wana get with a multitool, much bigger and they won,t be in you pocket or on your belt when you really need them :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 08:51:57 PM

[/quote]

I was a little disappointed with the Sport Ratchet,when I saw the ratchet mechanism was marked CHINA.[/quote]

This has me worried  :o I didnt think Victorinox had any tools made outside Switzerland  :o  Can you add any more info ?

Dunc

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 01:39:36 AM
Nowadays, the only things made outside of Schweiz are the pouches, which are made in Mexico, but Mexico has high-quality leather, so I have no complaints.

The Auto-tool comes from all around the world!:
Pouch made in Mexico
Blade, bottle opener, can-opener, pliers and screwdriver made in Schweiz
Ice-scraper, flashlight and pressure gauge made in China
Assembled in USA.
[

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 02:31:49 AM
The Victorinox 2AAA LED flashlight I bought recently is manufactured in USA by the maker of Inova flashlights.
victorinox-2aaa.jpg
* victorinox-2aaa.jpg (Filesize: 41.16 KB)
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 03:39:50 AM
The flashlights or more like corperate products, like the small SAKs you get that say "Ford" or something like that. I think most of them are Mag-Lites.
[

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 07:25:46 AM
The flashlights or more like corperate products, like the small SAKs you get that say "Ford" or something like that. I think most of them are Mag-Lites.

As stated above the Victorinox flashlights are made by Inova (Emissive Energy Corp.) and are made in the US. They are actually an outgrowth of the Radiant line sold at Target but with different circuitry and metal bodies. It appears that the Victorinox lights use the same light engine as the current Bolt series offered by Inova but I am not sure.

Inova makes very good equipment and has a good selection of lights available at a few different big box stores. Their old TIROS optics system was one of the best LED focusing systems around before CREE came around and really started dishing out the throw with a reflector. One of the best general use lights ever made is the T2, it is fully regulated for up to 6 hours (dependent on binning, usually varies between 5-6 hours, both of which are amazing) and has very good output and throw (of course it has been called obselete over at the candlepowers for a few years now but I feel differently). Anytime I am asked to recommend a light for a non-flashaholic I always recommend the T2. It has the simplicity, runtime and brightness that impress people but is still practical. Even better is the new XO that features a brighter LED and a better general use emission system (reflector instead of TIROS).
http://www.inovalight.com/
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_t.htm
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_xo-r.htm

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 01:07:14 PM
I agree with you,I think Vic got it wrong on both counts with the Sport Ratchet,and Auto Tool. I was a little disappointed with the Sport Ratchet,when I saw the ratchet mechanism was marked CHINA.I really have nothing against Chinese made goods,but surely Vic could've found a  Swiss source of ratchets.The Auto Tool,was a big honking handful for me,and I'm a big man with big hands.I also felt that even for a multi,Vic attempted too much on one chassis.

Viper is right about the AutoTool components being made in China. It says so right on the box.

But I didn't get a box with my SportRatchet. Is that where you learned that the ratchet was made in China?
AutoTool box.jpg
* AutoTool box.jpg (Filesize: 60.6 KB)

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 04:20:59 PM
The ratchet itself on my sample was stamped China,on the chromed part.It's entirely possible that ratchets were sourced from other countries as well.
I

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 06:33:36 PM
The ratchet itself on my sample was stamped China,on the chromed part.It's entirely possible that ratchets were sourced from other countries as well.

Weird. My ratchet itself doesn't have any markings on it at all.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 05:41:55 AM
fyi: Chris did a nice write-up on the SportRatchet over at SAKWiki here: http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=SportRatchet

(I added the pictures and tweaked a sentence or two, just so I could get some credit as well.)   ;D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%