Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Paul Chen Multi Tasker worth getting ?

Zed · 30 · 6417

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Paul Chen Multi Tasker worth getting ?
on: January 18, 2010, 09:54:21 PM
Ive read the review on here and a few others,marketed by Fiskars as the Excalibur Multi-Snip amd also sold as the paul chen multi tasker , just wondered if anyone has one , i like the look of them plus wont shear based MT that i could pair up with the wave or kick,they have a kind of gerber look, well the older models.

paul

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Re: Paul Chen Multi Tasker worth getting ?
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 09:56:16 PM
It's weird thing, but pretty well made.

You can get them for a tenner including shipping at the moment from Heinnie's too.
I used to come here a lot.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 10:00:41 PM
It's weird thing, but pretty well made.

You can get them for a tenner including shipping at the moment from Heinnie's too.

it was there i saw them dave ,and i thought 1 what a bargain and 2 some good reviews on there, i like its industrial look, im tempted,  :D

paul

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 10:04:49 PM
We have a pretty good review of it here:

http://www.multitool.org/miscellaneous-tools/medium-tools/paul-chen-multi-tasker.html

If you get the Multitasker, plan on really only using the shears as most of the rest of the tools are sub-standard.  They are functional but just barely.  The file falls out, and the blade seems really tiny compared to the giant handles.  The pliers are about the size of the ones found on a 91mm SAK although they are pretty awkward to use.

As a collectible, it's something everyone should have.  As a user, it's something most folks should avoid.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 10:07:07 PM
They are a bargain at 10 quid - no doubt.

I'm yet to be convinced that they're the most practical tool in the world, but I don't think anyone would deny that they're wacky :D

I used to come here a lot.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 10:11:04 PM
cheers grant i did read the review and as always was a big help,ill take on board what you said grant , 

dave yes there wacky and thats why i kind of like them, im not going to just collect brand names ,i like some of the cheaper stuff and its not always rubbish,the shears sound good, the other bits are just little extras that i probably wont use that often,

paul 

Offline Magnus

Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 11:02:27 PM
if you google them, a lot of people give them terrible reviews.  maybe that is why Fiskars didn't brand them as gerber?  :think:

[

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 11:16:42 PM
if you google them, a lot of people give them terrible reviews.  maybe that is why Fiskars didn't brand them as gerber?  :think:

Why did they with the Suspension, Ripstop, and so on, then? >.>;

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 05:21:05 AM

i have googled them and only found ok feedback, and at a tenner its worth a try as the shears sound ok,  :-\

Offline Magnus

Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 09:55:29 AM
this was one I found: http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?10267-Paul-Chen-Multi-Tasker/page2

It looks EXACTLY like someone in a fourth form metal work class was given a few old multitools and SAKs and told to build something out of the bits. In half an hour. The different tools are all different colours and presumably types of steel, the can and bottle opener are at half SAK scale. The shears seem OK, but the pliers tacked on the side would be pretty much useless. The blade is not impressive. The worst thing though? I opened the file and it came off in my hand. When I reinserted it and reopened it it bent back a piece of the frame with an audible click.

if you google them, a lot of people give them terrible reviews.  maybe that is why Fiskars didn't brand them as gerber?  :think:

my point exactly, if they thought this tool could ruin gerber's name...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 09:58:17 AM by Magnus »
[

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 10:07:27 AM
this was one I found: http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?10267-Paul-Chen-Multi-Tasker/page2

It looks EXACTLY like someone in a fourth form metal work class was given a few old multitools and SAKs and told to build something out of the bits. In half an hour. The different tools are all different colours and presumably types of steel, the can and bottle opener are at half SAK scale. The shears seem OK, but the pliers tacked on the side would be pretty much useless. The blade is not impressive. The worst thing though? I opened the file and it came off in my hand. When I reinserted it and reopened it it bent back a piece of the frame with an audible click.

if you google them, a lot of people give them terrible reviews.  maybe that is why Fiskars didn't brand them as gerber?  :think:

my point exactly, if they thought this tool could ruin gerber's name...

so is it basically a unbranded gerber ? its got similar looks other than the shears ,  ???

paul 

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 11:31:54 AM
For the price, pick one up.

I have the Paul Chen model. It is definitely unique. The scissors/shears are worth the price of entry, and that price is the best thing going for it.

I think you will find though that what everyone has said about it in this thread is absolutely right.

If you can EDC one, you are a lot tougher then I am. I view it strictly as a collector item.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 11:50:31 AM
I was hoping my Paul Chen could act like a light duty pruner , it aint that  :(. But HEAVY duty scissors it is , I have used the PC MT too cut my puppy's chewing hide treats in half(they are bloody tough too cut, the PC excelled at this). For the $ they are asking they are a bargain oddity :tu: :tu:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 12:04:42 PM
Chako i dont think this will be a EDC but a in my tool box type of MT

mat its the oddity bit about it i like,  :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 12:06:14 PM
I was once tempted, but after seeing the complete pliers afterthought I changed my mind.  :D
I'm back!!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 12:08:59 PM
I was once tempted, but after seeing the complete pliers afterthought I changed my mind.  :D

i was thinking that this could be the base of a bit of modding, i will probably remove those little pliers, will have to see,

paul

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 12:21:26 PM
well for £9.99 i just ordered one, im looking forward to seeing it, i know its got mixed reviews but i like a underdog,  ;)

paul

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 12:23:51 PM

i was thinking that this could be the base of a bit of modding, i will probably remove those little pliers, will have to see,

paul

Don't worry buddy, after a couple of uses they will probably remove themselves  :rofl:

I jest really.  Look forward to hearing your thoughts.  :tu:
I'm back!!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 12:58:23 PM

paul

Don't worry buddy, after a couple of uses they will probably remove themselves  :rofl:

I jest really.  Look forward to hearing your thoughts.  :tu:

:rofl: i recon so, we will see,

now i wonder if it still comes with a lifetime warranty   ::)

check out the original packaging  :tu:
http://www.multitool.org/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Multi-Snip

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 02:03:52 PM

paul

I think if you decide to mod some tools this one could work well  :D

For £10 you can't go too wrong; it may be a collectors item someday  ;)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 02:07:40 PM

paul

I think if you decide to mod some tools this one could work well  :D

For £10 you can't go too wrong; it may be a collectors item someday  ;)

probably not if i mod it  :rofl:  :tu:

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 03:10:44 PM
Paul if you want odd you will not be disappointed  :P :D

You really need to consider the wee Schrade Navitool , if you like odd :P

Next to a Charge  :o

Or how about the Wenger Business Tool  :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 03:14:43 PM
I gotta see the Navitool in person one of these days, it just looks the most unwieldy thing ever. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 03:17:54 PM
now mat that is odd  :o looks cross between a hand grenade and a SAK  :think: kind of like it though,  :D

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 03:31:04 PM
I was going to say that the Schrade Navitool looks like a handy thing until I saw the next photo of it beside a Charge

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: October 03, 2018, 10:00:49 PM
I snagged a Paul Chen Multi Tasker for $25 off of eBay. The quality control is suspect on these. The first one I got had a bent and bowed handle. It was still new in the packaging, so it was obviously a manufacturer's defect. I sent it back and got a replacement. On this one the handles were fine, but the saw had a bend in the center. Not enough to be a big deal, but it's got a little tweak to it. I'm wondering if the guy selling these is selling factory seconds. They all come in a plain brown box, instead of clamshell or branded packaging.

At any rate, I'm finding it to be quite a useful tool. I was messing with drywall yesterday, and was absolutely LOVING the OHO blade and pocket clip. It made scoring drywall seams easy peasy. The saw worked well enough cutting through both wood and drywall. I used the phillips and flat drivers a couple of times, and had no qualms there. They work just as well as any Gerber driver. The file works well, and I do like that it is removable. The shears worked just fine cutting metal corner edging. Better than the Outu multitool with shears.

Now, these suck as pruners. They just don't work well for that at all. Branches, even small ones, tend to slide right out. The Brookstone shears multi tool is a lot better pruning multitool. (Also sold as the Gentleman's Hardware "Nip it in the Bud" 4-in-1 garden tool, for about $40)

The saw is not as aggressive as the Gerber Diesel saw. It has a higher tooth count, and thus doesn't cut wood as quickly. Still, it made through a 1" diameter tree branch... eventually. The Diesel saw blade is thicker at the teeth than at the top, which means as it cuts the kerf is always wider, and the blade doesn't get stuck. No such luck with this saw, there is no taper, so it does tend to want to stick more... but not as much as I expected, actually. It made the cut without a lot of effort, it just took a bit longer than I'd have liked.  The higher tooth count means it might cut plastic better than wood.

The file is not as coarse as the file in an MP600, but it does work very well. It is sharp and aggressive, just not as aggressive as the MP600 file. I like that it's removable, and it can be slotted in and held at 90 degrees to the tool, if you need to hold it in something solid. It only comes out if given a really hard bash. Like, drop off a table onto hardwood and land just right, and the file will come out. If you press it in all the way it won't, though.

The drivers and can opener work well, no complaints there. They're non-locking, and similar to the original Gerber Multiplier tools - but a dash shorter. There is a space for one additional tool, currently taken up by washers. I haven't had the tool apart yet, but I'm guessing a Gerber flat driver or lanyard loop would fit in there, hopefully without any mods.

The pliers are a joke. First, if they get slightly damp they'll start rusting almost immediately. Second, they're made out of some sort of cheese. They bend very, very easily, and are not even adequate to bend one of the crappy thin metal clothes hangers they give you when you pick up your clothes from a tailor or dry cleaning place. The pliers will twist and then you'll have to bend them back into place.They're useless as anything except oversized tweezers. It would be a better tool without the pliers at all, but the way they're mounted means something has to be there, or the handle is incomplete.

Overall I really like the tool. It's not perfect, but it works well as shears and the OHO blade is extremely useful, as is the saw and file.

I see people swapping MP600 jaws into them, and I like that idea, except for the extraneous pliers hanging off the side. I'm thinking that it'd be slick to find a way to mount a Leatherman screwdriver holder there, and use the long flat bits. But then the internal drivers would be a little redundant. Besides, the Leatherman driver rotates the wrong way, and I don't see a way of making it work. It'd have to be welded, machined, and drilled to work. 

Anyhow, I like this tool for what it is -- shears. I like the OHO blade and the saw and the file quite a bit. The internal tools are too short, but otherwise work well. Quality control is a bit suspect, it's definitely not on par with the MP600... but it's not bad either.

Charles.

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #26 on: October 04, 2018, 05:01:47 AM
Thanks for taking the time to share such a thorough review!

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #27 on: October 04, 2018, 06:54:55 AM
I had gotten one of these. I returned it the next day. I am a fan of scissors and it looked decent enough just to have for the shears.

Every cut-out that formed the backsprings for the tools was cracked. Every single one.

The pliers felt like the cheapest aluminium ever. Might as well abandon them or have them made out of plastic. Absolutely terrible. I was thinking of cutting the little piece that they're attached to with a dremel, which would make the handle thinner.

I liked the design, but I was very disappointed with the poor quality. Even at its low price, it was a rip-off.

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: October 04, 2018, 08:17:51 AM
Interesting. I don't have cracks like that on mine. The pliers are definitely steel, as they're magnetic and coated in black oxide. They just don't appear to be heat treated in any way shape or form. Probably just a simple mild steel, definitely not plier-grade.

I'm thinking about getting another one to mod with MP600 jaws... I'd have to find something to replace those pliers with, however.

Charles.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #29 on: October 04, 2018, 02:01:17 PM
I think they're a great way of getting heavy duty shears to put in a spare MP600, but aside from that, I don't rate the tool very highly at all.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD