Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Question for those who own a Surge and a Wave

us Offline evil510

• Envision. Create. Innovate.
Question for those who own a Surge and a Wave
on: April 10, 2010, 02:43:53 AM
Hey gang. Now that I have just finished the SuperAwl mod for my Wave, it is now onward to my next mod. I am contemplating a larger set of scissors on the outside. For those that own both a Surge and a Wave, does it look feasible to retrofit, shorten and reshape Surge scissors so they'd work in a Wave? I don't see myself EDC'ing anything larger than a Wave and I actually use scissors quite a bit, hence the mod. I don't know any of the basic measurements for Surge scissors (width, length, etc.) I may end up trying my hand at making my own since I haven't been able to source any Surge scissors yet. How much of a cutting area do those scissors actually have anyway? Thanks for the input!!

~  evil ~
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 02:48:52 AM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Evil's Urban Trekker (on hold)
Shear Evil (on hold)
The Evil Incarnate (a work in progress)

UPDATES:
Evil's Quad Strop Mini introduced.....
Evil's Pocket Octo-Driver introduced.....
Brute Driver HD - COMPLETE

LATEST NEWS:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: Question for those who own a Surge and a Wave
Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 02:51:57 AM
fwiw, I don't really like the Surge scissors all that much... :-\

us Offline evil510

Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 02:56:21 AM
fwiw, I don't really like the Surge scissors all that much... :-\

I have heard others comment that they don't like them either, Mr. Whippy. Tell me, what is it about them? Do they just not cut well? Poor design? I may end up making a set from scratch to suit my needs. Never made any, but it seems doable. I appreciate the input. Thanks!

~ evil ~
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 02:58:34 AM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 03:39:27 AM
I don't think they will fit on the wave, they are much thicker than the file or the saw you may be looking to replace. The pivot area is about twice as thick on the scissors. the channel the scissors sit in is also wider, so you may end up wrecking 2 tools trying to make it work.

us Offline evil510

Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 03:43:08 AM
I don't think they will fit on the wave, they are much thicker than the file or the saw you may be looking to replace. The pivot area is about twice as thick on the scissors. the channel the scissors sit in is also wider, so you may end up wrecking 2 tools trying to make it work.

Blackbeard, that is exactly some of the info I was wanting to know. Thickness vs. file or saw. Thank you!

~ evil ~
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 04:40:31 AM
The surge scissors more or less work fine for me, but I find them too small to do big scissor jobs, and too big to do small scissor jobs, so I end up using a knife (for cutting clothes, paper, and various nibs and tips) and Vic Classic scissors for my dainty fingernails or food packets etc.

I have A Surge, A Camera, measuring equipment, and time, but I don't have picture editing software than I can even draw little red lines to indicate where measurements are, so I'm going to skive off this job.

Maybe Bob can run one of his fancy CAD/CAM machines over them and give you surface finish and tolerances along with critical measurements.

us Offline evil510

Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 05:12:43 AM
Hey Sea Monster. It's the thought that counts and I appreciate that very much. After doing a bit more research and comparing photos online, I came to the conclusion that modifying a set of Surge scissors would have been more trouble and effort than it was worth. Time that could be better spent fabricating my own. I started designing my own set today and will hopefully start on them this weekend. The size will be a good compromise for me, I think. Thanks again!

~ evil ~
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 07:24:46 AM
I would think making your own pair of scissors would be quite a challenge Evil. Good luck with that! :salute:

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline evil510

Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 09:33:34 PM
I would think making your own pair of scissors would be quite a challenge Evil. Good luck with that! :salute:

Thank you. I'll be needing it lol. You're right, it will be quite the challenge. Lots of things to consider. Getting them to fit within the tool, snapping into the closed position, locking into the open position, some sort of spring mechanism for the handle and last but not least... they have to cut.....

Initial cuts were made today. I'll keep you all posted of my progress on this project.....

~ evil ~
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 09:41:32 PM
i would like the old waves scissors on my new wave  :D much better design  :tu:

us Offline evil510

Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 09:57:18 PM
i would like the old waves scissors on my new wave  :D much better design  :tu:

I have heard others say that as well. I personally have never handled a set as my Wave is a newer one. The small scissors it already has actually cut well enough for me but could stand to be a little larger and easier to get at. Part of the reasoning for this mod is that I use scissors often enough to warrant them being on the outside, where I can get to them very easily. I have a habit of modifying everything I have just to be a little different anyway lol. If it turns out well, the small scissors I'll be removing from the Wave may get modded to fit inside of my Crunch.....

~ evil ~
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 10:10:15 PM
here is a pic of the same larger scissors as on the old wave, here on my pst2

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 10:19:17 PM
new wave scissors v old,

us Offline evil510

Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 10:22:53 PM
here is a pic of the same larger scissors as on the old wave, here on my pst2

(Image removed from quote.)

Very nice mod Zed. I like that a lot. Interesting design. This is my first time seeing them up close like that. How long is the cutting edge on the old Wave scissors? Seeing as I am still rather new here... has anyone attempted making their own scissors for a MT in the past? If so, are there any links to the post or photos?

~ evil ~
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 11:01:20 PM
its not a mod, its the actual scissors on a pst2 , there the same as the old waves, and the better scissors, i just wish LM kept them on there new waves  :-\

us Offline evil510

Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 11:27:11 PM
Oh ok. I did not know that they had used the same scissors in the PST2. Even if not a mod, they are nice nonetheless. Would the old Wave scissors be a direct swap without modification into a newer Wave?

~ evil ~
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 02:31:43 PM
Oh ok. I did not know that they had used the same scissors in the PST2. Even if not a mod, they are nice nonetheless. Would the old Wave scissors be a direct swap without modification into a newer Wave?

~ evil ~

i dont know if these help, as far as i can see is the tap is the other way around on the pst2 , i supose there the same on the old wave i cant remember, 

us Offline evil510

Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 11:48:15 PM
Thank you for the photos, Zed. They helped a lot.

UPDATE: Between all of my other ongoing projects, I finally got to devote a little time to this project. It has turned out to be one of those things with many details that need to be worked out that you wouldn't necessarily foresee until it gets under way. It was quite an undertaking.....

Initial cuts have been made. Pieces shaped so that scissors will snap into closed position and lock in the open position. Had to come up with a way of limiting the travel of the scissors handle when closed. Limiting the travel in the open position was optional. I notice some scissors do while others do not. The disadvantage to limiting the travel in the open position is the ability to sharpen/resharpen easily. I came up with a way to limit the travel and to open fully when needed for sharpening. A majority of the time and effort has gone into the spring mechanism. I wanted enough spring pressure to return the scissors to the open position as fast as I cut could something without putting up too much of a fight with counter-pressure. After a few attempts, I came to realize that the very hard metal I was using for the blades would not be suitable for a spring. So, I came up with a two piece spring mechanism. The base is made of the same metal as the scissors. The spring itself I cut, shaped and polished from a spring of a damaged buck knife that I had. After much trial and error, I came up with a spring that feels just right. I added a thumbstud to match the ones I put on the knives on the other handles, which also serves as spring retainer for the scissors. I still have to make a custom rivet to hold the scissors together that will sit flush enough so they will fit into the channel of the Wave. Right now they are temporarily being held together by a bolt for test purposes. Final step will be to bend the blades, sharpen them and then give the metal a finish. I am pleasantly surprised, even only being semi-sharpened right now, they put my Micra scissors to shame (which I am a big fan of), so, I know I will already like them even more when completed. When I get a chance to break it down again, I will take some photos of the separate pieces. I will also take photos when they are completed for you all. As of now, I won't have time to work on them again for a few days. Thank you to all those that gave me input on this project.....

~ evil ~
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 12:49:21 AM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 02:17:21 PM
no probs mate and will need pics when sorted  ;)   :pok: 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00