Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Urban survival. What do you guys think?

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Urban survival. What do you guys think?
Reply #30 on: January 23, 2010, 05:19:32 AM
Mossberg 590 parkerized with ghost rings and speedfeed

:D :o :D
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline turbov21

Reply #31 on: January 23, 2010, 06:54:14 AM
Yeah overboard. Yes it could happen, but probably as likely as winning the lottery, do you lay out detailed plan of what to do when you hit the jackpot?

Is it the $20 Million or $4 Million lottery, because it varies.

$20 Million: I buy a warehouse in a train yard; fill it with every tool, computer, and fabrication system I can imagine;  sign a 20-something blond women's volleyball player to a five year contract to play the part of my arch-nemesis on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Sundays, and alternating Saturdays; and invest the rest in a diversified portfolio of foreign currencies, hedge funds, government bonds, and a few interesting software start-ups.

$4 Million: Invest half in a diverse portfolio, spend $1 million building myself a kick @$$ super-computer, and retire at 40 so I can spend the next several years being the biggest IT jerk-off imaginable.

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: January 23, 2010, 07:13:05 AM
Mossberg 590 parkerized with ghost rings and speedfeed

:D :o :D

:tu:

What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: January 23, 2010, 03:32:40 PM
It well behoves you to have a stash of food and water , tools etc . If you have such a stash - logically , you need a means of protecting it . With supermarkets being cleaned out in a matter of day or two, we are truly screwed if the trucks don't roll-just think truckers strike . Truckers have been getting a raw deal at least here in Canada , so this is not a totally fancifull scenario .

We havent even started to deal with Zombies yet .

Whatever scenario you will invisage will not be the one that actually happens . Natural disasters make life interesting enuff , if global warming unfolds as some pundits think , we will have a veritable disneyland of disasters .

Chris
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 03:54:23 PM by Styerman »

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #34 on: January 23, 2010, 04:12:22 PM
I'm all for being prepared, and in most cases over prepared...but I kind of rolled my eyes when nutnfancy started discussing keeping a parachute (or was it a glider?) in your high rise office building for an airborne escape...

That urban survival series he did overall was very good IMO, although I'm for carrying a much smaller kit instead of that huge bag he had.  My philosophy being; that smaller kit (even as small as a 3x5 Maxpedition pouch) will not have the capability of a backpack, but it will be on you always. 
[

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: January 23, 2010, 04:21:03 PM
I gotta agree with ya on the Chute/Glider .

Chris

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #36 on: January 23, 2010, 04:22:51 PM

I'm all for being prepared, and in most cases over prepared...but I kind of rolled my eyes when nutnfancy started discussing keeping a parachute (or was it a glider?) in your high rise office building for an airborne escape...

That urban survival series he did overall was very good IMO, although I'm for carrying a much smaller kit instead of that huge bag he had.  My philosophy being; that smaller kit (even as small as a 3x5 Maxpedition pouch) will not have the capability of a backpack, but it will be on you always. 

WTF?  Just keep a 60 or 70 M rope and rappel your way to safety.  Even on the Empire State building, you could rap it in 11 from the very top.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #37 on: January 23, 2010, 04:35:52 PM

That urban survival series he did overall was very good IMO, although I'm for carrying a much smaller kit instead of that huge bag he had.  My philosophy being; that smaller kit (even as small as a 3x5 Maxpedition pouch) will not have the capability of a backpack, but it will be on you always.  

WTF?  Just keep a 60 or 70 M rope and rappel your way to safety.  Even on the Empire State building, you could rap it in 11 from the very top.

Actually he brought out his rappeling bag also and discussed rappeling to safety...I thought that idea was relatively sane compared to the glider so I didn't mention it :D

The only problem you run into with that is this; what if there's a fire below where you plan to rappel from?  Use the glider! ;)

[

Offline Magnus

Reply #38 on: January 23, 2010, 04:37:21 PM

I think most untrained people would end up going splat into another building like a bug if they tried that.
[

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: January 23, 2010, 04:43:43 PM

Actually he brought out his rappeling bag also and discussed rappeling to safety...I thought that idea was relatively sane compared to the glider so I didn't mention it :D

The only problem you run into with that is this; what if there's a fire below where you plan to rappel from?  Use the glider! ;)

Use a directional.

Anchor above, set a directional around the fire (Really, how many fires shoot out 360 around the building?)

Rap past, pull line and head to safety.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #40 on: January 23, 2010, 05:09:41 PM

Use a directional.

Anchor above, set a directional around the fire (Really, how many fires shoot out 360 around the building?)

Rap past, pull line and head to safety.

or just go to the other side of the building where there is no fire
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #41 on: January 23, 2010, 07:33:29 PM
Yes, I'm sure you'd do all these things in an emergency situation.

Instead of following the company or building's contingency plan which probably makes a whole lot more sense than rappeling or gliding off a building with little to no experience (even if you have rappeling or gliding experience, I doubt you've done it amongst skyscrappers ::)).
Got those frog legs.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #42 on: January 23, 2010, 07:39:28 PM
Preparing for 'End Of Days' really ain't my thing, :P but I like the 'Night of the living dead' scenery.
It kinda justifies getting a 'Zombie Chopper' someday..   :D :D

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #43 on: January 23, 2010, 07:47:38 PM

Instead of following the company or building's contingency plan which probably makes a whole lot more sense than rappeling or gliding off a building with little to no experience (even if you have rappeling or gliding experience, I doubt you've done it amongst skyscrappers ::)).

Dude, you got to be pretty stupid if you didn't go down the stairs first. I for one would never stash a glider or rope at the office in case of a fire since the fire safety in buildings are very good, but I can also understand if Mr.Whippy did store some rope since he is a climber.
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #44 on: January 23, 2010, 07:49:20 PM

Dude, you got to be pretty stupid if you didn't go down the stairs first. I for one would never stash a glider or rope at the office in case of a fire since the fire safety in buildings are very good, but I can also understand if Mr.Whippy did store some rope since he is a climber.

Dude, if you're counting on being able to rappel down a building while apparently all FOUR or more stairways are on fire I'm pretty sure the building is going down anyway. ::)

I'm not an architect but that sounds like bad news bears to me. XD
Got those frog legs.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: January 23, 2010, 08:10:45 PM

Dude, if you're counting on being able to rappel down a building while apparently all FOUR or more stairways are on fire I'm pretty sure the building is going down anyway. ::)

I'm not an architect but that sounds like bad news bears to me. XD

Well a couple things:
1.  I'm taking the "Planes into the  WTC" scenario where they could not get everyone out if they wanted.  Throw a rope around something solid (pole, heavy desk, coupla dead bodies) rap down 100 feet a  pitch and you're off the top of the building in about 20 minutes.

2.  If you're on top of a 10 story building that's totally engulfed, you'll be at the ground in about 2 minutes. (1 pitch).  Seriously doubt if the whole place will collapse in 2 minutes.

3. Rappelling off a building would be a piece of cake.  Try rapping off 2 holes drilled in the ice with a piece of cord tied through them for a little more spice.

(Actually, they're extremely strong, but this one looks a bit sketchy to me... :ahhh)

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #46 on: January 23, 2010, 09:56:57 PM
Well I've decided my exit strategy from a tall burning building involves one of two possibilities:

Superman

or Spiderman.

Sorted :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: January 24, 2010, 12:34:34 AM
Well I've decided my exit strategy from a tall burning building involves one of two possibilities:

Superman

or Spiderman.

Batman  :( ?

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #48 on: January 24, 2010, 02:19:23 AM

Superman

or Spiderman.

Better yet acquire the super hero powers so you don't have to wait around for some freak type in spandex
*runs off to find out where he can get biten by an atomic super spider*  :ahhh

Man i wish i had all them spidey moves, for one i would be a lot better at my capoeira and rock climbing
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #49 on: January 24, 2010, 02:34:09 AM
Well a couple things:
1.  I'm taking the "Planes into the  WTC" scenario where they could not get everyone out if they wanted.  Throw a rope around something solid (pole, heavy desk, coupla dead bodies) rap down 100 feet a  pitch and you're off the top of the building in about 20 minutes.

This scenario is almost as silly as zombie planning... it has happened what.. once? Its the sort of scenario that you can't anticipate If it happens again it will be something completely different.

I want to make a project bail-out bag and be grateful that i never to use it. One thing that i liked over at Zombie Survival and Defence Wiki (don't laugh, simulated scenarios help excercise the brain to think laterally for self-sufficiency or innovation... ok, laugh a little.) was in the Scrounger Team section (scaveging and looting etc)

It was talking about a Scroungers kit, apart from the laugh about packing lots of guns and meelee weapons there was a very good point about a scroungers survival kit should fit in tha vest and belt kit not a backpack. Why? well its on you at all times and saves the bag itself for carrying the salvage.

So i want to make a Bail Out bag vest, which may be a few less items thsn some of our esteemed MT users EDC keychains  :rofl:

I also found out that production stirling engines had been developed by philips. if only i could get my hands one one :D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 02:36:52 AM by Santos »
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #50 on: January 24, 2010, 07:28:13 AM
I EDC some stuff that is considered "survival gear". But I don't have a stash of MREs in the basement.

I know I mentioned this here before in an older thread, but..

Chatting once a long time ago with some of the types who carry around a giant bug out bag in case the zombies come to dinner. They wanted to know why my EDC kit did not contain food and a bunch of other "vital" stuff.

I replied that I only needed my small kit, and my rifle and ammo:

"So I can shoot as many of you smurfs as I can and steal all your gear."

Those big heavy bags are just giant targets, and slow moving meat is easier to bring down.  :D

In case of emergency, travel light, and travel armed.  :tu:
G

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: January 24, 2010, 12:32:35 PM

I also found out that production stirling engines had been developed by philips. if only i could get my hands one one :D

I didn't know that but I do now :tu:

I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #52 on: January 24, 2010, 03:26:30 PM
There was a really great article on Stirling engines in A to B magazine if there are any other subscribers out there :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #53 on: January 25, 2010, 05:50:49 AM
NEIL: Yeah it rocks... if that the beast that puts out 200w+ mark (yes 200w not 200kw :D)
 i would so want one, have it humming along with the shared pilot light of a gas fridge. Trickle charge batteries and what not.

MIKE: For us non-subscribers what was the jist of the article? Was it hobby scale? Real-scale or a lot of interesting theory?!
- Terry Pratchett

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #54 on: January 25, 2010, 06:04:45 AM
lol why didn't i youtube it earlier?
Philips Stirling Generator  :gimme:
- Terry Pratchett

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD