Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Would love to see your SOG...

AJ · 39 · 6789

Offline AJ

Would love to see your SOG...
on: June 20, 2007, 07:27:56 PM

I alway's wanted to do some kind of multitool web site. Some kind of site for reviews, photo, tips and trick, etc..

Not sure were I am going with this but it's a start. :)

The very short time that I have had my SOG powerlock I am really amazed by it.
Going to do some reviews later on down the road and show many photos of it in use.

Lots of idea's in my head right now and would love to hear any you have.
I started a photo group pool at flickr and that is were the website is direct to for now.

If you don't have a flickr account it's free to join and you can add your own SOG multitool photos to the group too.

www.mysog.com will get you there.

Did I say how much I like my SOG? :)
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Would love to see your SOG...
Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 12:35:16 AM
We would love to see your SOG too dakota. Please feel free to post pictures of it here, as well as any other multitools or gear that you're proud of.

Which makes me ask; now that you've got a taste of SOG quality, which of their tools will you be buying next?  :pok:  ;)

Bob
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline AJ

Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 01:26:14 AM
Would love to give the sog PowerAssist a try and the powerlock 2.0
Reading all the old SOG post here and seeing the cool photos of all the other SOG there are many I would like to try.

Anything with the gears look cool and from using my powerlock I see the gears are very usefull too.

Time to start watching ebay. :)

[

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 01:41:29 AM
What do you think of the Powerplay 540? Looks like an awesome tool, the plier heads look the most impressive I have ever seen on a multitool.

Offline AJ

Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 01:42:44 AM
Pocket Power Plier would be cool for weekend carry. :)

Can this still be found in stores or do I have to get one online?
[

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 01:54:11 AM
I think I already posted this photo of my Master Mechanic SOG PowerLock S60.
s60-master-mechanic.jpg
* s60-master-mechanic.jpg (Filesize: 28.33 KB)
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline AJ

Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 01:58:52 AM
What do you think of the Powerplay 540? Looks like an awesome tool, the plier heads look the most impressive I have ever seen on a multitool.

Yeah, that does look cool.
There are some tools I would never use, but they could be replaced with ones I would use.

The wire strippers in the head would be very userfull for me at work.

At least with sog I can change tools and come closer then ever to making the perfect multitool for me. :)

[

Offline supratentorial

Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 06:39:06 AM

I alway's wanted to do some kind of multitool web site. Some kind of site for reviews, photo, tips and trick, etc..

Not sure were I am going with this but it's a start. :)

The very short time that I have had my SOG powerlock I am really amazed by it.
Going to do some reviews later on down the road and show many photos of it in use.

Lots of idea's in my head right now and would love to hear any you have.
I started a photo group pool at flickr and that is were the website is direct to for now.

If you don't have a flickr account it's free to join and you can add your own SOG multitool photos to the group too.

www.mysog.com will get you there.

Did I say how much I like my SOG? :)

We should create a multi-tool network!  I had a similar idea a while ago and registered a domain name (edit: link removed) with Google.  Google provides some basic webpage hosting for free and domain name registration was only $10 and included private registration (helpful for preventing spam and identity theft).  Google only provides limited storage so I also registered a photobucket account as multi-tool.  Unfortunately I've been to busy to work on the homepage but I look forward to working on it when I can find the time.

I like the idea of a public multi-tool photo database.  I just set up a flicker account -- user name multi.tool -- so that I can join your photo group.  You have some really nice photos posted!  I especially like the action shots. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 03:05:02 PM by supratentorial »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 01:16:29 PM
It's not my intention to put a damper on things gentlemen, but a few quick words on forum etiquette;

It is generally considered bad form to advertise or push or even link to your own site in the open forum discussions. Much more acceptable is to simply add a link to your home site in your Multitool.org user signature. (Click on your user name, then Forum Profile Information, then scroll down to the Signature field.) It will then appear in a subtle way at the bottom of your posts. Please send a PM to Def if you would like any further clarification.

That being said, it appears that you both are off to a fine start on your sites, and I wish you well.
Thanks,
Bob
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline AJ

Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 02:09:34 PM
 :oops:
[

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 02:14:45 PM
Are there any good reviews on the Paladin PT-540 PowerPlay out there? Cant seem to find any.

I have to say, the jaws on that thing look amazing! It is a real shame about the inside opening tools otherwise I really think I would have had to get one.

Damn it, if only there was some way to put those jaws onto my leatherman TTI.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 02:45:58 PM by Raukodur »

Offline supratentorial

Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 02:59:25 PM
It's not my intention to put a damper on things gentlemen, but a few quick words on forum etiquette;

It is generally considered bad form to advertise or push or even link to your own site in the open forum discussions. Much more acceptable is to simply add a link to your home site in your Multitool.org user signature. (Click on your user name, then Forum Profile Information, then scroll down to the Signature field.) It will then appear in a subtle way at the bottom of your posts. Please send a PM to Def if you would like any further clarification.

That being said, it appears that you both are off to a fine start on your sites, and I wish you well.
Thanks,
Bob

:oops:  Sorry if my post wasn't acceptable.  I have no monetary gain from my site.  I was hoping the info would be helpful to others who want to start a homepage.

Are there any good reviews on the Paladin PT-540 PowerPlay out there? ....

I'm working on a review but I've been too busy to finish it up.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 05:45:09 PM
hmm does the PT-540 actually have the most number of tools / function of any multitool?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 06:06:24 PM
Are there any good reviews on the Paladin PT-540 PowerPlay out there? ....

I'm working on a review but I've been too busy to finish it up.

I'm anxious to read your review Supratentorial. I have the PT-540 on my wish list, but the price is still too high for a cheapskate like me to buy my own.  :P  Hopefully some place will run a sale on them soon.

Offline supratentorial

Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 02:39:59 AM
Man... I'm starting to feel some pressure.  Next you'll bring out the pokey stick...  :pok: or worse yet, the multi-tool pokey!!!

Here's a photo teaser...

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 02:51:53 AM
Oh mah gawd, that thing is huge!!   :o

....on second thought, maybe I won't wait for them to go on sale somewhere.... :)

Offline supratentorial

Reply #16 on: June 22, 2007, 06:57:33 AM
Oh mah gawd, that thing is huge!!   :o

I should take a photo of the PT-540 next to the AutoTool.  :P

....on second thought, maybe I won't wait for them to go on sale somewhere.... :)

Then I can go back to my regular review schedule: once every blue moon!  ;)

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 22, 2007, 08:44:34 AM
Wow!

That is a pretty hip looking tool. I might buy one just to swap out some of the industry specific implements with the general-use ones on my Powerlock.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 22, 2007, 09:43:29 AM
That's what I was also considering Spoon, taking out all the specific electrical implements which I wouldn't use, and replacing them with ones I would use, more general tools. I believe it would be possible to create a pretty awesome multitool. I can almost forgive the all inside opening design because the tool is just so damn cool!

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 23, 2007, 12:30:31 AM
Not having any experience at all with SOGs, what exactly could be used to replace the small electrical jobs specific tools on the PT-540? Awls? Chisel? Cutting hook? Can opener?

Regarding its price, am I right in thinking that the cheapest it is available from anywhere is around $100 right now?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: June 23, 2007, 04:58:29 AM
Not having any experience at all with SOGs, what exactly could be used to replace the small electrical jobs specific tools on the PT-540? Awls? Chisel? Cutting hook? Can opener?

Reply #14 on the SOG Tool List sticky HERE shows a list of blades and drivers available direct from SOG.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: June 23, 2007, 10:05:24 AM
Ah, well the awl would be perfect, but the V cutter is a big tool, which I do not think would therefore fit into one of the middle slots taken up by those small tools. Shame. Hmm due to the size difference in the SOG tools however (the PT-540 being huge) I woulder if that wierd thin hooklike hting could be replaced by the V Cutter. Even if so, that would still leave one of those small tools. Can't quite figure out what it should be replaced with.

Edit: on a side note, I wonder why the saw has such a slanted top edge, the saw blades on other SOGs do nothave this, and as a result look much more sturdy than the one on the PT-540.

Edit2: oh, my mistake, didn't see the can opener / small screwdriver on the list, I suppose that would be perfect to replace the other small tool. The bottle opener / screwdriver looked a lot like the Vic one, am I right in thinking the can opener does too? If then its quite perfect.

Edit3: hmm, wonder how the PT-540 compares to the leatherman Core, its the only other massive, all inside opening multitool I can think of

* pt540.jpg (Filesize: 25.26 KB)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 01:13:29 PM by Raukodur »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: June 23, 2007, 01:40:02 PM
Edit: on a side note, I wonder why the saw has such a slanted top edge, the saw blades on other SOGs do nothave this, and as a result look much more sturdy than the one on the PT-540.

I'm guessing the pointy saw blade is for starting the saw in plaster wallboard (also called sheet rock or drywall) Stab the saw blade through, then start the back-and-forth motion to make a cutout for electrical outlets and such.

Offline AJ

Reply #23 on: June 23, 2007, 02:12:52 PM
I seen the PT-540 in Menards and in the jaw in only had the one hole for stripping wire. Not the three different sized ones like I have seen in all the photos.

It was $90 and I did not buy one, yet..
[

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: June 23, 2007, 03:04:29 PM
I dont think that was the PT-540, I believe one of the other PT-5.. models have only one wire cutter hole in the jaws.

About the saw blade, I can see what you mean Bob, and I suppose that is good design, I just wonder about the strength of the saw and whether the tapering edge will have much of an effect.

I think if I could find a SOG PT-540 with black TiNi coating I would not be able to resist and would have to buy it. Damn it, why do I pick out really expensive tools and get an uncontrollable urge to buy them  >:(

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: June 23, 2007, 03:20:40 PM
..... Damn it, why do I pick out really expensive tools and get an uncontrollable urge to buy them  >:(

Treatment is available, but rarely effective.  :P

Here are a couple close-ups of that same saw blade on a PT-525. Not sure if you can see this, but the blade itself is beefy, somewhat wider than an ordinary wood saw. The sharp teeth are big and aggressive.

The only bit of concern I have is the very tip, which only has a small amount of metal holding it on. (between the back angle of the nose and the deep root on the first saw tooth) Hopefully this tip will not be prone to snapping off easily.  :-\

* ppsaw1.jpg (Filesize: 50.07 KB)

* ppsaw2.jpg (Filesize: 58.58 KB)

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: June 23, 2007, 03:50:16 PM
Hmm why do they even have that tip there? No teeth on it, what function does it serve?

And does the PT-540 come in black (or any colour for that matter ) TiNi plating? If not, any way to get it done?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 04:41:57 PM by Raukodur »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: June 24, 2007, 06:06:37 AM
I don't know the why of that saw tip.  ???  Admittedly, I've never used it for it's intended purpose, so I cannot say how well it works.

The Paladin tools only come in stainless finish as far as I know. There is a company in Michigan that TiNi coats (gold color only) metal-cutting drills and bits. (see picture) I'm thinking the tool would have to be completely disassembled first, including the lock release pivots and the plier head pivot. Not an easy task.  :(

* TiNi tools.jpg (Filesize: 53.64 KB)

Offline AJ

Reply #28 on: June 24, 2007, 06:29:18 AM
It would be easy to disassemble it. Putting it back together would be a bit harder.  ;)
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: June 24, 2007, 06:39:35 AM
 :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%