Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

On Alox...

kieMac · 33 · 4358

Offline kieMac

On Alox...
on: January 25, 2010, 06:27:56 PM
Some people don't understand alox. This post is for you! If you're already convinced, nothing to see here. ;)

I've always been a cellidor model guy. I liked the Soldier, sure, but what was the point when you lose the toothpick, tweezers, and backspring tools? I edc'ed Classics, Climbers, Explorers, and Tinkers for the past 16 years (I was 5 when I started...so they really grew on me  :D). Recently, I've been noticing some gripes with the cellidor models. I've never really cared to have the corkscrew, and I haven't once used the mini driver, so I've stuck to Phillips models for the past few years. Twice last year I bent the liners of a 91 mm SAK using the Phillips. I just think it's not very great at its job, where the can opener, bottle opener, and main blade are all very good replacements for full-sized tools.

The 111s may fix this somewhat with the thicker aluminum liners, but they have their own problems for use: the main blades are big and harder to work with on smaller jobs, they're often half-serrated, and don't come to a very nice point. The prybar/cap lifter is nice and sturdy, but at the expense of being too big to fit between things like the seams of plastic electronics and other things. Lastly, although you may be less likely to bend a liner using the driver, you're also less likely to even use the driver because of how cumbersome it is to use on a knife of that size.

So I turned to alox to see what it could offer me! I chose the Soldier, because I don't use the keyring and I found it to be uncomfortable. I tried the alox awl against the 91/111 mm awls on plastic, and there is no contest. I never thought the alox awl would be so much more efficient, and since I rarely ever used the small blade I'm happy to make the trade. The can opener/screwdriver is the same, obviously easier to use than on a 111 because of the size but no better than the 91 mm's except maybe that you can use more torque because of the sturdier frame.

The bottle opener is just about perfect. It's significantly heftier than the 91 mm version without feeling overkill. One of my favorite things about it over the 111 is that the handle of the 91s and 93s are slim and symmetrical, whereas the 111 is more of a pancake shake with big finger grooves, making it a bit less effective as a driver handle.

So what about scissors, small blade, toothpick and tweezers, and a Phillips? I've added a Rambler to my pockets, and now I really have it all. Combined, it's a smaller package than the 111s, and for me, it's easier to use and more functional. I've always thought the cellidor models were more attractive, maybe because I'm so used to them, but I'm coming around to alox. It has some benefits that are easy to explain (strength, grip, etc.), with some that are harder to put your finger on (class, tradition, etc.).

For people that really want a locking/OH blade, the new Soldier is for you. If you really like having things like full-sized scissors, a magnifying glass, or the mini pliers, you're better off with the 91s. But if you're a 1-3 layer minimalist, give alox a shot and add a keyring SAK to your carry. After all, there's no denying how welcoming the red plastic SAKs are!
IMG_1251.JPG
* IMG_1251.JPG (Filesize: 85.6 KB)
IMG_1261.JPG
* IMG_1261.JPG (Filesize: 84.8 KB)

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: On Alox...
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 06:42:35 PM
Excellent post that mate :salute:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 07:01:30 PM
So what about scissors, small blade, toothpick and tweezers, and a Phillips? I've added a Rambler to my pockets, and now I really have it all.
Alox rles, and the Rambler is indeed the best compliment to Alox (or any of the new line of dual density 111mm for that matter...)!
-------
Alexei

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 07:11:17 PM
Alox Ramblers rule  :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 07:13:11 PM
Thanks for the thoughts, that was an excellent read.  I will say that I'm still a Cellidor man through and through, I've tried a few SAKs in Alox and I don't feel the benefit myself (other than the outstanding awl, I'll happily agree with you there).  But if we all liked the same things it would be a very boring world, would it? :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline kieMac

Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 07:22:16 PM
Beautiful Rambler! It looks like that would probably fit with my keys in my watch pocket a little better than the cellidor version, but as Gareth mentions, there's just something about cellidor for me! It's not even just that the large cellidor knives have such great tool diversity, I just really like the look and feel. They're easy to spot when you drop them, too  :D That's why I have to carry a cellidor model to go with my larger alox tool.

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 10:21:19 PM
 :tu:  Good post couldn't have said it better myself.

I carry a Soldier and a Rambler and all is taken care of.

What started me on alox was an article from Def / Grant that I wanted to prove wrong.

So I bought my first alox to prove him wrong and I have been sold every since.

I don't even look at cellidor the same anymore. :cry: (which is a shame because I have a lot of nice models) ;)

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 10:33:00 PM
I reckon you should try the Farmer next, if you haven't already :)
Prone to daydreaming.

Offline kieMac

Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 11:03:44 PM
I actually have a Farmer (as well as a Pioneer). It's a great knife! It's not my cup of tea, though. Even camping, I haven't found occasion to use the wood saw, so adding a layer and key ring doesn't make it worth it for me. For some reason, even though I have big dopey hands 2 layers seems to fit me well in alox and cellidor.

I'm considering stocking up on alox Soldiers just so I don't need to switch to a Pioneer someday now that they've been discontinued. That Victorinox sure knows how to get my money  :D

I have to admit, though, when I've tested the wood saw in the past... :o WOW! Probably makes the list of Vic's 5 best performing tools!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 11:06:38 PM by kieMac »

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 12:12:34 AM
My blue alox Farmer is the best SAK i've ever owned.  :drool: :D

good post :tu:
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 02:29:05 AM
Nice write-up kieMac! :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 03:00:20 AM
Once you've tried Alox it's hard to go back to Cellidor . Great write up BTW , I have a similar EDC to yours , with a couple of additions ; a Rambler and an Alox are a core element .

Chris

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 04:14:35 AM
Very nice read :tu: Pioneer and Farmer for me when it comes to Alox, the key right is a must in the woods and a saw always can come in handy. :cheers:

ca Offline Black Rose

Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 04:41:54 AM
I like the appearance of the Alox, but I am not keen on carrying them

I have a couple of Alox Soldiers, a Cadet, a Bantam II, and a Blue Classic SD.

I like my SAKs to keep their colour and the fact that my Blue Alox Classic has lost most of it's colour really annoys me.
I had expected it to be tougher than it is and am rather disappointed in that aspect of it.

Because of that problem, my red Cadet doesn't get carried at all.

I am considering taking the Alox Classic off my keyring and putting a Cellidor one in it's place.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 10:53:55 AM
I don't mind the colour loss at all, it just adds character IMO.

Alox is definitely my first choice where possible and I'm still after a Rambler with nice Alox scales.

Other than that, I'm happy to throw wooden scales on my favourite cellidor models... just nice to have variety I guess :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 04:37:49 PM
I have gotten around the no tweezers/no eyeglass screwdriver problem . I have a small zippered key/coin section in my wallet , I just put the Spirit corkscrew/eyeglass driver, and a spare set of tweezers etc. in the aforementioned wallet . This kinda gets around the last argument  for Cellidor scales .

Chris

Offline kieMac

Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 06:11:30 PM
Unless of course you just really prefer the feel, look, or replaceability....in which case you can just carry some cellidor scales in the bag too!  :D

Offline shadeone

Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 07:14:03 PM
i started my SAK love with a black scaled celidor huntsman which i carried in addition to a spyderco delica 4... after getting into the sak world and reading all of the reviews of the farmer and other alox knives i tried one and carried it for a few days... i shelved it for a while because i was the type who felt i had to stay true to my boy scout ways and carry the same type of model i did in the scouts just because celidor was THE swiss army knife for me and this whole alox thing was wierd to me... after a few days of shelving the farmer i couldnt stop thinking about it. it was just so perfect and compact and solid. it only took less then a working week to completely shelve the huntsman and start carrying the farmer... the huntsman was sold very soon after as well as the spyderco... the farmer is all i have carried since and im quite happy i made the switch.

regarding the saw, this article really solidified my love for having it: http://sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=235&Itemid=35
I live in a very city environment and hardly ever use it but i like the fact that i dont have to think about going back home to switch out my edc gear if i want to go on a spur of the moment hike with some friends out of town or something... plus the saw is WICKED on pvc and drywall.... im also the hero every time there is a bonfire at any friends houses because im the only one who can make ultimate perfect marshmallow roasting sticks for everyone :)

i bought a classic sd thinking i would need it as a companion to the farmer but for some reason i never have seemed to need it.
- small blade - i use the awl on the farmer like a small blade for detail work, that thing is sharp and has bitten me three times now!
- scissors - only ever used it for my fingernails which it did a pretty good job at but im a habitual nailbiter so i dont need it, anything else that needs to be cut can be done with the farmer blade or awl. screw the sheeple!
- nail file - fingernail thing already mentioned, and being the boyfriend of a professional cosmetologist, i was told that the type of nailfile on those actually does damage to your nails more then it smooths them out haha! the screwdriver tip does fit philips, but i would rather turn screws with the farmers can opener end.... it can withstand amounts of torque that would make the classic pee its pants in fear of.
- toothpick - i dont have jacked up teeth and if i ever go out to eat, the place will most likely have toothpicks or else i will be a man and use the farmers awl!
- tweezers - yeah these would be nice for splinters on a camping trip or something but i honestly have never had a use for them. im pretty good at getting slivers out carefully with a knife tip or my teeth.... once again, be a man haha ;) !

now, if they would make me a black farmer i could die happy... or else one with a built in led light as powerful as the fenix e01 without changing dimensions of the knife (I can dream right?)

shade

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 07:35:56 PM
Good points :tu:
Great link too. Thanks for that and to Mike for writing it :)

Saws are great :D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 07:51:20 PM by Craig »
Prone to daydreaming.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 09:02:45 AM
Regarding the Alox models, are there any where Vic have used a different knife blade style to their classical?

I am thinking of buying a folding knife which will be UK EDC legal, and obviously SAKs can fit under that category, but I have this issue where I dont like the shape of the classical vic knifeblade, never have, prob never will, just doesnt do it for me.

So just wondering if Vic every used a different shaped knife blade on their alox models, if they did, I may be very tempted to use that rather than the Byrd Wings Slipit I am currently considering.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 10:52:09 AM
Just the standard spearpoint I'm afraid.
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 10:55:28 AM
Hmm, any chance any of them are part serrated?

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 10:56:22 AM
Not that I've ever seen :(
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 11:12:37 AM
no alox for me then. Time to find a Byrd Wings Slipit from somewhere.

gb Offline user24

• SAK collector and all-purpose geek
Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 01:23:03 PM
Just the standard spearpoint I'm afraid.

well, and the pruning blade and the electrician's sheepsfooty kind of thing. Not main blades but still.
"Nothing endures but change" - Heraclitus.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 03:35:08 PM
If I was constrained by UK law , I would deff. EDC a Soldier for around town , and a Farmer for more rural stuff . Even in more tolerant Canada , Alox is still a core part of my EDC , just with a locking multi added , and either an OH Soldier or a Strider PT . Guess who gets the most work ?

Chris

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #26 on: May 21, 2017, 09:21:33 AM
Some people don't understand alox. This post is for you! If you're already convinced, nothing to see here. ;)

I've always been a cellidor model guy. I liked the Soldier, sure, but what was the point when you lose the toothpick, tweezers, and backspring tools? I edc'ed Classics, Climbers, Explorers, and Tinkers for the past 16 years (I was 5 when I started...so they really grew on me  :D). Recently, I've been noticing some gripes with the cellidor models. I've never really cared to have the corkscrew, and I haven't once used the mini driver, so I've stuck to Phillips models for the past few years. Twice last year I bent the liners of a 91 mm SAK using the Phillips. I just think it's not very great at its job, where the can opener, bottle opener, and main blade are all very good replacements for full-sized tools.

The 111s may fix this somewhat with the thicker aluminum liners, but they have their own problems for use: the main blades are big and harder to work with on smaller jobs, they're often half-serrated, and don't come to a very nice point. The prybar/cap lifter is nice and sturdy, but at the expense of being too big to fit between things like the seams of plastic electronics and other things. Lastly, although you may be less likely to bend a liner using the driver, you're also less likely to even use the driver because of how cumbersome it is to use on a knife of that size.

So I turned to alox to see what it could offer me! I chose the Soldier, because I don't use the keyring and I found it to be uncomfortable. I tried the alox awl against the 91/111 mm awls on plastic, and there is no contest. I never thought the alox awl would be so much more efficient, and since I rarely ever used the small blade I'm happy to make the trade. The can opener/screwdriver is the same, obviously easier to use than on a 111 because of the size but no better than the 91 mm's except maybe that you can use more torque because of the sturdier frame.

The bottle opener is just about perfect. It's significantly heftier than the 91 mm version without feeling overkill. One of my favorite things about it over the 111 is that the handle of the 91s and 93s are slim and symmetrical, whereas the 111 is more of a pancake shake with big finger grooves, making it a bit less effective as a driver handle.

So what about scissors, small blade, toothpick and tweezers, and a Phillips? I've added a Rambler to my pockets, and now I really have it all. Combined, it's a smaller package than the 111s, and for me, it's easier to use and more functional. I've always thought the cellidor models were more attractive, maybe because I'm so used to them, but I'm coming around to alox. It has some benefits that are easy to explain (strength, grip, etc.), with some that are harder to put your finger on (class, tradition, etc.).

For people that really want a locking/OH blade, the new Soldier is for you. If you really like having things like full-sized scissors, a magnifying glass, or the mini pliers, you're better off with the 91s. But if you're a 1-3 layer minimalist, give alox a shot and add a keyring SAK to your carry. After all, there's no denying how welcoming the red plastic SAKs are!

Resurrection post.

This pretty much sums up a lot of El Corkscrew's story... minus the part about Phillip.  And though I love the Soldier, I can never bring myself to carry the ones I have...  so now I EDC a weathered Sturdy Boy, which is probably more rare than a lot of the Soldiers I have but it just makes sense to me. I guess it's those year stamps... I haven't been lucky enough to get a stamp yet on any of my non-soldier alox.  But lately the Farmer has finally taken my attention... got a red Vic cross and a new Blue otw.  And hopefully a green one soon.  :facepalm:

« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 09:22:40 AM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: May 21, 2017, 01:26:58 PM
I'm giving alox yet another chance with my Pioneer ATM, but I have to say it's still never quite convinced me to it's outstanding benefits.  Absolutely nothing against it, but it's just doesn't have a "wow" factor for me.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #28 on: May 21, 2017, 05:47:41 PM
I'm giving alox yet another chance with my Pioneer ATM, but I have to say it's still never quite convinced me to it's outstanding benefits.  Absolutely nothing against it, but it's just doesn't have a "wow" factor for me.

I really don't think it has outstanding benefits, just a coolness factor for me.   If we're talking "outstanding benefits" I would point to mi favorite, El Compact.

As far as "wow" some do, and some don't for me.  I think the ones that do for me are:  Soldiers, OC anything, & Farmers.   The Cadet is one that a lot of folks seem to REALLY be in to but it hasn't made a big impression on me. What kind of Pioneer are you sporting?  :cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: May 21, 2017, 07:09:40 PM

I really don't think it has outstanding benefits, just a coolness factor for me.   If we're talking "outstanding benefits" I would point to mi favorite, El Compact.

As far as "wow" some do, and some don't for me.  I think the ones that do for me are:  Soldiers, OC anything, & Farmers.   The Cadet is one that a lot of folks seem to REALLY be in to but it hasn't made a big impression on me. What kind of Pioneer are you sporting?  :cheers:

about the only one that very nearly gives me the "wow". ;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%