Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New bag time

Offline Abstraction

New bag time
on: January 27, 2010, 08:40:57 PM
Hey guys, unfortunately i've had to decide that my maxpedition jumbo just isnt big enough for day to day use any more and i need a replacement.  It's given me over 2 years of excellent day to day use and still looks brand new, but it doesn't hold enough so i always end up having to lug something around in a separate bag [:(]

I've been looking at the maxpedition range, and in particular the Condor II, as the quality on the jumbo is the best i think ive ever seen but the £120 price heinnie and fenix torches are selling them for is far too much and even importing them from edcdepot will be around £90 once postage and the weak pound are taken into account.

On one hand i imagine whatever i buy will last a lifetime, as the jumbo undoubtedly would, but my budget won't stretch that far for a bag no matter how i justify it at the moment, so my prefered option of the Condor II is out of reach right now.

Does anyone have any good alternatives for a hard up brit?  I'm looking at spending £50-60 max for a backpack to lug stuff to work with everyday (netbook, book, multi's, torch, phone/mp3 chargers tuperwares for lunch, sigg bottle etc) but also that i can throw my running trainers and gym clothes in when needed.  A well organized interior is something i've been looking for as well, as after the Jumbo it would be hard to get used to a bottomless pit of a bag.

Unfortunately i've looked round the usual suspects and i can't seem to find anything which looks well made enough and is also practical - the better made bags are too big and unweildy and the more practical sized bags all look like cheap tat!  Maybe i'm just spoilt by the maxpedition bag but i'm sure there must be something out there!

Cheers guys  :D

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: New bag time
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 09:23:53 PM
If your comfortable with a rucksack rather than a shoulder bag, then the Maxpat Pygmy II is an excellent bag :tu:

If you order it from Marc at http://edcdepot.com/ it should come in within your budget too (it's where i bought mine :)).
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 09:30:44 PM
What's the volume of the Maxipedition packs?  I'm just curious why they garner such a following.  There seem to be larger/lighter options out there.

Are they waterproof?  Double as a bivy bag? Awesome harness system?  Just curious.  ???

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 10:00:00 PM
+1 on the Pygmy.

I think anything of Maxped quality means paying for it, but there's a good used market for them too which might be of use to you :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 10:48:06 PM
Here's a good article with pics of how someone set up their Pygmy Falcon.  You might not want to set up your bag with these specific items, but it gives you a good idea of what it can hold.

(It's a .PDF)
http://www.ratcutlery.com/bug_out_bags.pdf
[

Offline Abstraction

Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 03:03:20 AM
Here's a good article with pics of how someone set up their Pygmy Falcon.  You might not want to set up your bag with these specific items, but it gives you a good idea of what it can hold.

(It's a .PDF)
http://www.ratcutlery.com/bug_out_bags.pdf

I can’t check out that link right now as work class it as ‘Weapons’ but i’ll look when i get home.  The Pygmy looks like a good bet but it’s still looking to be too expensive unfortunately.  Marc is saying that it will be at least $40 shipping to the UK, which means with a  1.63 : 1 exchange rate i’d be looking at over £70 to import one from him even with a discount  I do miss the old 2:1 exchange rate! 

Can anyone recommend anything available more widely available from UK stores?  Heinnie used to be my go to website but since the pound lost its value they appear to have got about 30% more expensive for everything unfortunately.  I was hoping to find something decent on amazon but pretty much everything i’ve seen there looks cheap and tacky.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%