Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What was the last multitool you broke ?

Dunc · 55 · 4798

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Re: What was the last multitool you broke ?
Reply #30 on: February 07, 2010, 07:40:56 PM
I think the theories about hardness are probably closer to the mark, i.e. it's a problem with that particular tool rather than a design problem. I've used my ST300 a fair bit now and had no drama (so far at least).
I used to come here a lot.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #31 on: February 07, 2010, 07:56:10 PM
It's meant to be in reply to AHB's Medic82's weird thread over on the LM section :D :rofl: ::)
Fixed..  ;)

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #32 on: February 07, 2010, 08:12:44 PM
It's meant to be in reply to AHB's Medic82's weird thread over on the LM section :D :rofl: ::)
Fixed..  ;)

Thankyou, I'm sorry about the brain fart... I'm old  :surrender:
Gabba gabba hey!!

Offline Blackout

Reply #33 on: February 07, 2010, 11:27:47 PM
I broke my Surge last year.I was trying to pry a broadhead
out of a tree with the awl.That did not work so well,the awl
broke off.Sent the Surge to L.M. told them what happened
and they sent me a replacement.
"

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #34 on: February 08, 2010, 12:23:29 AM
Here is my rap sheet ;

Gerber 600 carbide cutters ,shattered by coat hanger wire. Same MT cut the same wire the day before  :think: :think:

I had a similar incident too Bob's with my Stanley SL40(licensed small version of SOG's Switchplier) I was fiddling with it whilst watching TV & the pliers internal spring dislodged jamming the pliers. It is fixable (spring came out of it's locating groove), currently in pieces waiting for owner inspiration too reassemble(FIDDLY).

This little bracket has caused me a unfair amount of grief. It is a Gerber 650's plier retention clip for the removable & interchangeable pliers(4 different pliers were available). 20 minutes after receiving this bloody hard to find MT I was pushing a plier head into position & heard a unpleasant noise :o.

My new Gerber 650's broken clip  :cry: :cry: :cry:. I am unsure why this happened but the clip seems to be incapable of handling the amount of pressure in the system.When I release the pliers locking levers the plier shoots out  :o :o. I think my one was faulty I sure hope Gerber can help my out as it was a right bugger to track one down.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline valvestem125

• You only go this way once.
Reply #35 on: February 08, 2010, 12:41:40 AM
Years ago I broke the tip off a Leatherman PST knife blade.  I reground the blade into a point, and used it for years after, just with a shorter blade. :D
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 12:49:00 AM by valvestem125 »

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #36 on: February 08, 2010, 01:04:48 AM
Years ago I broke the tip off a Leatherman PST knife blade.  I reground the blade into a point, and used it for years after, just with a shorter blade. :D

I've seen a few PSTs like that and re-shaped them. You can see why they eveolved into the clip-point blades in the later PSTs - I'm guessing they were seeing lots of warranty claims!
I used to come here a lot.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: February 08, 2010, 05:24:03 PM
Broke a Leatherman Surge as well, snapped off one jaw, sure it was a casting flaw.  Again their
warranty dept was top notch and was a no issue...replaced.  :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: February 10, 2010, 06:55:37 PM
Not knocking Leatherman but this isn't uncommon is it? I had a PST with a chipped driver blade too. On the other hand my ST has a bendy flat driver  :)

ps. Edit. Posted this reply in the wrong bl##dy place. It's meant to be in reply to AHB's weird thread over on the LM section  :D :rofl: ::)

yeah chris  my smallest flat driver had a chip in it , i filed it right again,  :tu:

paul

fi Offline temo

Reply #39 on: December 20, 2015, 05:12:31 PM
Small bent usually in small flatheads. Awl I have broke from two tools (vic and LM). Pliers from one keaychain tool. But clearly awl seems to be weakest link in my use. But still functional even getting short example with spirit:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #40 on: December 20, 2015, 05:54:38 PM
I obliterated one of those super cheap manicure multitools. I got it as a stocking-stuffer a few years ago and the first time I tried using the big scissors the back-spring failed catastrophically. I disassembled the tool. I still use the nail-clippers that came on it - they work really well, considering the mothership that spawned them, and their small size makes them uniquely suited to finer detail work.

Not my pic - ripped from the interwebs

* $_35.JPG (Filesize: 15.81 KB)
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: December 20, 2015, 07:54:12 PM
Used the can opener on my MP400 so much it started to chip out on the edge and I ended up a "serrated" can opener.
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #42 on: December 20, 2015, 11:34:22 PM
I accidently broke both locks on a rusted OG Supertool a few months back... completly my fault, I left all the tools half open for a cleaning session in vinegar for two days. :facepalm:

LM graciously replaced it anyhow. :tu: to Leathermans warranty dept.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #43 on: December 21, 2015, 12:23:34 AM
I broke the lanyard attachment on a SOG Powerlock back in July 2012.   SOG replaced the broken part.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: December 21, 2015, 03:11:45 AM
Don't have a clue of the how, but I broke the rest for the plier head on my Wave. And as usual one of the handles is getting sloppy and the scissors got messed up. I'm usually good at tuning scissors but I've fail these ones.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 03:14:37 AM by WWW »

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: December 21, 2015, 07:59:32 AM
Latest one was snapped jaws on a LM new Wave. I'll get around to warranty eventually.

Before that was arcing an original Wave. Melted some knife and handle.
No plans to take it in for warranty. Hard to claim a defect, and they'll probably want to give me a new one.

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #46 on: December 21, 2015, 11:58:37 AM
Haven´t broken much. I´m quite careful and flatter myself thinking I have a good sense of where the limit is.
1. I can remember breaking a Gerber Dime using the clam shell opener. It spat out the back spring twice and then I returned it.
2. I´ve also broken the small bit for glasses in the LM Wave a two times. They were hardened to a ridiculous hardness and no tempering, they broke like glass. Then I´ve gotten better ones. Probably batch related.

I had my first tool an original LM Supertool that I used 15 years almost daily and also through my military service as a tank driver and it never had a single problem.
I´ve also yet to break any SAK implement the perfect engineering and semi soft steel really helps.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #47 on: December 21, 2015, 12:16:38 PM
Style PS scissor spring was the most recent ..... again .... second time of doing so, and getting them repaired /exchanged again is pointless. Although technically I didn't break it, LM's designers did  :whistle:

Aside from that, I've broken the blade spring on a CRKT Lil Guppie, and the pliers rest on a MP700. Both these failed with no significant strain, but were taken care of by the warranty people.

The only other things I've ever broken are failed mod attempts. I've never broken a tool by taking it past it's safe use threshold

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: December 21, 2015, 12:32:02 PM
I've never broken a tool by taking it past it's safe use threshold

I have no time for the laws of physics.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #49 on: December 21, 2015, 01:00:50 PM
I've never broken a tool by taking it past it's safe use threshold

I have no time for the laws of physics.

Nah, me neither, but I hate failing or getting stuff to fail on my behalf. If gut instinct says the tool ain't up to the job at hand, I find another way round it rather than risk the tool. If I break a tool by pushing it beyond it's limits, I waste more time and effort having a tantrum than I would if I'd have if I'd gone for something more suitable for the job (plus there's a risk of other stuff getting broken too)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline mley1

• Do it right the FIRST time!
Reply #50 on: December 22, 2015, 04:47:33 PM

I broke my LM Surge putting in an electric fence. I sent it off on December 9th, and got it back repaired yesterday. Not a bad turn around. Excellent service.

I was very surprised it broke so easily though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks y'all,

Marty

us Offline Sheradin

• Penn's Woods
Reply #51 on: December 22, 2015, 04:54:46 PM
Broke half the jaw off my Skeletool CX. Second time with that tool. Granted, I abuse the crud out of it, and was trying to straighten a clevis pin that I had no business trying with that tool. 10" Channel Locks got the job done. Excellent warranty service from LM, as usual.   :tu:

us Offline mley1

• Do it right the FIRST time!
Reply #52 on: December 22, 2015, 05:11:49 PM
Broke half the jaw off my Skeletool CX. Second time with that tool. Granted, I abuse the crud out of it, and was trying to straighten a clevis pin that I had no business trying with that tool. 10" Channel Locks got the job done. Excellent warranty service from LM, as usual.   :tu:

i was merely bending that cotter pin in the picture that held the electric post together. It didn't take much force either. Leatherman fixed it quick though. Excellent service.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 05:12:53 PM by mley1 »
Thanks y'all,

Marty

us Offline BASguy

Reply #53 on: December 23, 2015, 07:10:03 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

I broke my LM Surge putting in an electric fence. I sent it off on December 9th, and got it back repaired yesterday. Not a bad turn around. Excellent service.

I was very surprised it broke so easily though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a Surge for only a couple of days and busted the plier head off twisting a ground lug at the ranch. 
No issue with their warranty service, but that replacement tool was quickly traded away for 6 quarts of Raw Honey.  My buddy makes a point of telling me how his Surge is still going strong long after the honey he traded me was gone.  I still think I got the better end of that deal.

Sent from 9 miles from the face of the sun

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #54 on: November 15, 2017, 10:49:10 PM
I broke my Leatherman Skeletool Demasteel. I was trying to tighten the screw on a cabinet door.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%