Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Paladin PT-540 Powerplay

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
SOG Paladin PT-540 Powerplay
on: June 23, 2007, 11:24:31 PM
I thought I might as well create a new thread about this specific tool since I have recently become very interested in it, and it doesn't make sense to ask lots of questions in another thread where they detract from the topic of that thread, and will probably go unanswered.

I would have thought that no all inside opening multitool such as the PT-540 would have interested me, no matter how fancy, due to having to open the tool to access any of the tools, and in the case of SOGs which have the 'flaps' on them to make the plier handles more comfortable to use, the tools needs to be opened even more to access the inside implements. Having said all that, there are specific aspects of the PT-540 which have made me rethink this.

For one, the plier heads on this tool look awesome! Compound leverage is in itself something that separates SOG tools from the rest, but the pointed tips, the 3 wire cutter holes with stop locks, and the crimpers at the back of the pliers, combined with the way the whole thing looks make these the most desirable plier heads of any multitool I have seen.

Then there are the two hex shaped cutouts in the handles, reinforced and made deeper with the overlying metal pieces which are, I believe, unique to the PT-540 (i may be wrong, since my multitool knowledge is very limited). With these being placed about midway along the tool handles, I am guessing they could be quite easy to use, with the user able to generate a significant amount of torque if required.

Being such a large tool, I am also attracted to the number of implements there are in the tool. Now, a major point to make is that with such a large number of tools, and with the specific role the manufacturers had in mind for people who use this tool, that should mean a non-electrician will like some of the tools, but not others (i.e. not find them that useful). The advantage of SOG is that you can buy other tools to replace said tools with, so giving you a combination that works best for yourself. This really does stand out for me, and does really increase the attraction of having a larger tool that has more implements.

Now of course, not having used the tool, nor having even seen it in real life, all of this is conjecture, especially since I cannot even find one review of the tool on the internet. However, I like using my imagination, and what my imagination has been able to conjure regarding the PT-540 so far has been very attractive. I do eagerly await the review that Supratentorial says he is writing.

Now, a few questions:

Is this tool available in TiNi?

Am I right in thinking the cheapest price for the PT-540 is around $110? Can it be bought for any cheaper from anywhere?

I have tried to show the three implements I would probably want replaced on the tool in the pic, what do people think (in terms of is it possible, is it a good idea) of replacing them with an awl, a can opener/screwdriver and SOG V cutter? The V Cutter is a larger tool, I am not sure it can be used to replace that weird hook like thing.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: SOG Paladin PT-540 Powerplay
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 06:25:14 AM
If you haven't seen it already, on the main Multitool.org site, under Manufacturer's Information, there is a PDF file available HERE that shows the complete PT-540 manual.

Also, the Paladin site has a neat interactive feature on their multitools. Link = http://www.powerplaytools.com/home.html
Click on PT-540, then start clicking around on different parts of the tool itself to see close-up photos and explanations.

ps ~ there seems to be no reference to any TiNi coated tools from Paladin.

pss ~ what pic are you referring to in your last paragraph?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline supratentorial

Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 08:23:31 AM
I have tried to show the three implements I would probably want replaced on the tool in the pic, what do people think (in terms of is it possible, is it a good idea) of replacing them with an awl, a can opener/screwdriver and SOG V cutter? The V Cutter is a larger tool, I am not sure it can be used to replace that weird hook like thing.

I "SOGified" my PT-525...and there's another member of this forum that did the same.  The thickness and length of the tool and what tools are next to it will be important factors that determine whether a given combination will work.  I haven't tried the particular combination you asked about. It would be exhausting to exhaust all possible combinations!  :P

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 10:00:43 AM
Oh very sorry, forgot to attach the pic  :-[

Thanks for the links Bob, will check them out.

* Paladin PT-540 Powerplay.JPG (Filesize: 47.6 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 03:00:36 PM

The V-cutter is indeed where you might run into trouble. It looks to be long enough to interfere with the plier head (when closed) if it is not in one of the outboard stations.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 03:07:40 PM
Hmm, the only reason why I think it might just work is because of the larger size of the PT-540, so if someone could actually measure the length of the V-Cutter and the hook thingy on the PT-540, we might get a better idea.

However, another issue may be the width of the tool (I mean how high it is), the hook on the PT-540 might only work because it can slot underneath the plier heads, the V-Cutter looks quite fat.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 03:13:38 PM
There might be an issue with thickness as well. Probably minor though. Right out at the end of the V-cutter it appears to be "double wide." It looks to have a sharpened blade riveted to the main portion of the blade itself.

So I guess there would be no issue as long as a short blade or driver were positioned next to it on that side.

So never mind.  :P

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 03:23:45 PM
Do you mean that it would take up two slots rather than one?

BTW, I am amazed at the tool you posted a pic of Bob, in that every tool on there is a useful one. It is missing some other tools I would like such as scissors and saw, but all the ones on it are useful as well. This is something that is beginning to strike me about SOGs, either they come with all useful tools on them, or even if not for your own personal tastes, you can alter them to make it so.

Offline AJ

Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 04:24:44 PM
Hmm, the only reason why I think it might just work is because of the larger size of the PT-540, so if someone could actually measure the length of the V-Cutter and the hook thingy on the PT-540, we might get a better idea.

However, another issue may be the width of the tool (I mean how high it is), the hook on the PT-540 might only work because it can slot underneath the plier heads, the V-Cutter looks quite fat.

I can help with the V-cutter, but I don't have a hook thingy yet. :)

Hope that helps..
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 04:20:51 PM by dakota »
[

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 04:36:24 PM
25cm long?! No chance of that coming anywhere other than in one of the 4 outside slots then, damn. Why the need to make it such a huge tool?  Maybe SOG should have made two, one much shorter, to be able to be placed in the middle...

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 04:43:03 PM
 :D

The scale shown in dakota's picture is in inches, with ten increments per inch. Overall length of the v-cutter looks to be about 2-1/2 inches, or 63.5mm.

I think there is still a chance that it might fit. 

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 04:51:19 PM
I was wondering if it was inches, but the increments looked much too close together, more like mm's, my mistake for not realising that was more of an optical illusion, I knew the tool couldn't be 25cm long  :-[

Hehe, anyway, ~6.5cm doesnt sound too bad, now all we need is a measurement of that hook tool on the PT-540, hopefully it will be just as long, or a bit longer, allowing the V-Cutter to replace it.

Offline joebw

Reply #12 on: June 24, 2007, 04:52:48 PM
Hi,

The hook "thingie" is 2.15" to the pivot point.  I think the v-cutter will interfere with the plier head.

Joe

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 24, 2007, 04:55:44 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Joebw, do you mean 2.15 inches from the tip of the tool to where it is incorporated into the tool, or do you mean the overall length of the tool (from one end to the other) is 2.15 inches?

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 03:47:56 PM
Can anyone confirm how long the hook tool is on the PT-540 from one end to the other (including what is normally hidden in the pivot region)?

Really cannot wait for that PT-540 review, should be good to hear how the tool handles, and whether it works as good as it looks.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: June 25, 2007, 05:44:19 PM
Can anyone confirm how long the hook tool is on the PT-540 from one end to the other (including what is normally hidden in the pivot region)?

Not me, I don't have one yet.  :(  I've been biding my time, waiting for the PT-540 to become more widely distributed and the price to come down a ways. That is usually how it goes with new tools. I'm hoping to see the price around $75 by next year. But all this talk and speculation is getting me excited...I don't know if I can wait that long! 

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #16 on: June 25, 2007, 06:37:49 PM
You either huh?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline joebw

Reply #17 on: June 25, 2007, 08:30:55 PM
Hi Raukodur,

The 2.15" is the length from the tip of the "thingie" to the center of the pivot point.

Best - Joe

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 25, 2007, 08:44:59 PM
Thanks for that Joe.

It seems the V Cutter and the hook arent too different in length, however the V Cutter seems to be much 'taller' than the hook, so I am still not sure if the two could be swapped  :-\

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 26, 2007, 09:47:21 AM
I agree with what you are saying Bob, the price really is the only thing stopping me from buying one immediately, if it was to drop to around $75 I would be very interested.

However, I guess I should take into account the cost of shipping something like that to the UK (such a large, heavy tool, shipping is sure to be chunky too, and buying from the UK is sure to be much more expensive), plus the cost of buying the replacement parts to swap out those tools I  dont think I'll be using much at all. I don't think this is a tool I will be getting in the near future. Nice to contemplate though, and will be very interesting to read the tool's review when one finally comes out.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #20 on: June 30, 2007, 04:16:41 AM
That's pretty well the main reason I haven't gotten into a Paladin tool myself.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%