Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Where do you see SOG in 10, 20, or 30 years?

AJ · 13 · 2875

Offline AJ

Where do you see SOG in 10, 20, or 30 years?
on: June 23, 2007, 11:31:33 PM
Yeah, I took the idea from the LM topic.

After reading it though I got to wondering about SOG.

With them adding the SOG Power Assist it makes me wonder what direction they are going.

Would love to hear your thoughts...
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Where do you see SOG in 10, 20, or 30 years?
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 06:38:31 AM
SOG already has a lot going for them: quality, reliability, strength, etc. In my opinion, the biggest challenge they face is not in design or manufacturing, it is in marketing.

Everybody everywhere knows who Leatherman is, and where to buy one. Nobody but us fanatics even know that SOG makes a multitool. And hardly any stores sell them, so they are difficult to find except on the internet.

The Lowes building center chain is a good start, but somehow SOG needs to further infiltrate the Wal-Mart/Target/Costco type stores if they want to remain competitive.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 04:10:58 PM
I don't know if I'd blame marketing for that problem really.  SOG doesn't seem to have the kind of distribution network that many other tool manufacturers have, and that could be considered marketing, but I think it has more to do with SOGs being sold more to a specialty market.  The knives don't show up as much in the Wal Marts and Home Despots of the world because they are perceived to be a higher quality than the rest, the same way you don't see Land Rover or Porsche commercials on TV as much as you see Chevy and Ford commercials.  If you want adequate, go to Wal Mart, if you want something really special, go to a specialty shop and buy the real deal kind of thing.

As for where I see them in the future, I don't see SOG advancing as far as Leatherman or Gerber simply because they seem cautious to advance.  Redesigns cost money, and if a new, more effective blade style (or V cutter, or scissor etc) can be integrated into an existing tool design rather than a complete redesign, that has a certain value that can be passed on to consumers.  I think this is one of the big reasons why Leatherman has started to base so much on the Wave/Charge type frame and Juice type frame.  They can offer differently outfitted multis without having to put together a distinctive tool.  Of course I doubt the PowerLocks we have come to know and love will survive unchanged in ten or twenty years as we can see from the PowerLock 2.0 design.  From what I have seen, SOG has retained what worked (compound leverage, interchangeable tools), fixed the things that didn't (covered the gears for comfort) and added some innovations (assisted blades).  This is the kind of thing that folks should expect from an upgraded design, not just a new design with many of the same old implements in a different order.

Of course the PowerLock type design is tried and true, and I think we can expect to see it sticking around for a while yet, at least until the 2.0 either proves itself or flops- hopefully the former!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 09:16:54 PM
I'll admit, I'm rooting heavily for SOG to stay in the multitool game. Too many other big-name competitors have dropped out. In order to stay competitive for the next twenty years, SOG needs to continue innovating. No company in any field today can survive by resting on their past accomplishments. That's why I'm so excited about the number of new models SOG is bringing out this year.  :)  It means they are staying in the game.

Next thing they need to do is flip those handles around on the PowerLock, get rid of those silly flapper things, and make ALL the blades in both handles accessable when the pliers are closed.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 12:17:21 AM
I see where you are coming from, but I like the fact that they are keeping the old designs going.  It means that you are getting your money's worth from a design with no serious faults.  I don't mind an upgrade when it's warranted (and I am certain after this amount of time the upgrade is warranted!) but I don;t think making a tool fancy, flashy and new for no reason makes much sense either.

But, as far as the outside opening tools goes, well I have to agree with you there!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 01:13:25 AM
I'd like to see SOGs version of the Wave...four big outside opening tools, and the usual stuff on the inside.

I'm not interested at all in the new assisted opening blades on the new models...it takes up too much space, has parts that can't be (easily) fixed, and just looks clumky.  It's still carried in a sheath..so if speed is the main point of the assisted opening, 99% of people will have a dedicated knife on them that can be grabbed and opened much faster.
[

Offline tomcrx

Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 03:29:02 AM
Hi have been a lurker for a while. This is my first post

I would like to see them where they are right now. Making quality tools in the US.
I am a huge fan. The tools are robust, user-fixable and hold up.

Only thing I would like is for the S44 to have a wood saw and scissors in addition
to the default setup.

I bought an original LM PST 10 years ago and we eventually parted ways about 2 years
ago. The bottom of the sheath gave out and away it went to parts unknown.

I always liked the minimalism and ruggedness of the PST and it got 90% of the tasks I needed done.

The closest replacement I could find was the SOG pocket pliers and fell in love
with them. It was a PST with better pliers and a more refined fit and finish.

When shopping for a replacement I considered the current LM's but was not really excited
about the direction that LM is going. Things I don't like about newer
LM's and why I switched to SOG:

1. The whole unit feels soft and springy especially with hard plier use. In general
It seems the robustness of the tools have decreased as they have tried to add
everything and the kitchen sink to them.

2. Heavy and bulky on the belt. Especially as an EDC with khakis and a polo :)

2. Bit drivers never caught my fancy. Just more to get lost. Give me good fixed drivers

3. One hand opening is eh. I usually carry a small OHT knife anyway

My biggest concern about SOG is that big box retailers are not carrying them i.e. Wal-Mart etc.
Which leads me to worry they may cheapen there quality to reduce costs or basically
get starved out of the market.

Offline AJ

Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 03:46:03 AM
tomcrx,

Hello and welcome...

Great first post. I feel preaty much the same way as you.
One outside opening blade made out of a good steal would be ok and I can live without it.

I thought the LM bit holder with extra bits would be great, but I have lost the spring thing in the LM holder a number of times and lost bit too.

Sometime I carry a extra knife and sometimes not. I alway's carry a Multitool so a nice easy use blade would be ok.

[

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 01:33:44 AM
My biggest concern about SOG is that big box retailers are not carrying them i.e. Wal-Mart etc.
Which leads me to worry they may cheapen there quality to reduce costs or basically
get starved out of the market.

Welcome!

I'd think they'd do the opposite to get into the Wal-Mart/K-Mart/Target type stores...produce a $40 tool that's under par for their quality, just to get one up on Leatherman when someone is looking for a multi at one of those stores.

I kind of like the "underground" SOG market as it is.. :multi:
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 03:29:05 AM
I doubt SOG will get out of the tool market- at least at no time soon.  The good thing about SOG is they have the support from very serious and well respected knife designs, and their tools are highly regarded.  The success of the knives helps support the tools and even if the tools did dip in popularity, they have had enough success in the past that they'd likely be carried for a long time before the axe was dropped on them.  More likely it would be viewed as more of an opportunity for a redesign, and they'd be right back up there.

Def

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 03:37:01 AM
Until 2 years ago,SOGs were sold at the Walmarts in Ashland KY,and oddly at none of the other stores in the area.Sitting in the case along with the Gerber and LM offerings,SOGs robust,beefy appearance tended to deter the casual buyer. I mean these are tools that LOOK like tools meant to be used hard.
I

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 06:32:39 AM
I seem to recall SOG being at Wal-marts in my area too up until a few years ago. I remember seeing a thread about the 5$ Powerlock/Powerplier being cleared out at Wal-mart and driving around trying to find one late one Saturday night (college can get really boring during the breaks).

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 10:30:19 PM
I hopefully see a few of them in my pocket! I have a limited budget, and most of my multi $$ has gone to LM, but I would hope in 10, 20, or 30 years I should have been able to branch out!  :D I would love to see them in more stores, and the fact that I've never handled one personally would partly account for my not having one. I'm happy for the new designs though, and really appreciate what they bring to the market: especially making user-servicable tools. I wish a few other brands (which will remain nameless  ::)) would follow their lead.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%