Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

2010 Shot - Multitasker

J-sews · 181 · 26448

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
2010 Shot - Multitasker
on: February 01, 2010, 04:37:14 AM
Almost lost in the hubbub surrounding the new Leatherman MUT was another niche specific AR15/M16 tool, the AR Multitasker. Like its more famous competitor, the Multitasker is designed for military and civilian shooters who need a top quality tool for servicing/maintaining their rifles in the field.

Now here's the shocking part: between the two of them, I'm yet undecided as to which one is better.

You heard me right; between the latest greatest multitool from the biggest maker in the business, and a relatively unknown tool imported from China by an upstart company, its hard to say which one gets the title of "Best"

It all depends on the criteria used I suppose. :think:

For instance, if the Best Multitool was the one with the best components, the AR Multitasker would win hands down. A perfect example of this is its plier head. Whereas most multitools have a plier head made from relatively soft cast stainless steel, the Multitasker plier head is made from GS-2510, a high carbon oil-hardening tool steel similar to O-1.

And rather than being cast, the plier head is cut from solid billet. The outside profile is wire-EDM cut out of the plate (a process which gives ultra precise control over the serrations and cutting surfaces) then the pivot area is cut on a precision CNC milling machine. Check out those perfect seams between the jaws in the photo above.

Finally, the plier head halves are quenched and tempered to Rc57-58, which means they don't need any silly "hard wire notches" or the like. In my opinion, nothing beats tools made of tool steel.

Note the cut-from-billet plier jaw in the photo below:

Another example of Best quality components on the Multitasker are its G10 handle scales, which combine strength with excellent gripping qualities, just like many of the top folding and fixed blade knives have.

Blades on the Multitasker are intended specifically for M16/AR15 rifles, but due to the modular design of the tool, the load out could be tailored to a number of different specific niche markets in the future. (More on that later) For now, suffice to say that the designer of the Multitasker feels that the tools included are better suited to the task of maintaining a rifle in the field than the Leatherman MUT. He should know, being a competition shooter and enthusiast himself.

Notice how each of the blades in the photo above are CUT out of plate steel and then finished, as opposed to being STAMPED out? This means that no expensive stamping dies have to be produced, and the quality of each blade can be more closely controlled. It also allows for greater flexibility, as the company can make minor changes to the current blades or come up with entirely new blades at a moments notice. Again, more on that later.

The other handle contains interesting tools as well:
The brass dental pick is removable for getting into tight areas on your rifle, and the threaded stud underneath fits standard pull-through cleaning kits.
The middle blade is a carbon scraper with a sharpened tip.
The hex bit driver on the bottom has a threaded end; not shown in the photo below is the removable 4-prong sight adjustment tool that screws on.

But back to the knife blade for a moment...at the time of Show it had not yet been decided whether to go with 440C stainless, premium Daido DC53 blade steel, or super premium DC53 steel. The concern with DC53 is that it hardens to about Rc62-63, which might present difficulties for soldiers trying to sharpen their knives out in the field!

One thing is for certain though, the blade is one-hand opening via a thumb stud, and is secured via a liner lock. (note that the barrel wrench is liner locking as well)

And while we've got the Multitasker up on edge here, notice the use of bronze washer to reduce friction between EVERY blade:

Plier head pivots at the other end get a bronze washer treatment too:

Multitasker accessories include a sturdy molle-compatible pouch with snap closure;

And a set of ten AR-specific hex bits contained in this clever two piece carrier;

But do the sum of the best parts add up to the Best Multitool? Only additional testing can answer that. One thing I can say for sure though is that this is one top notch product. I'd been aware of the Multitasker prior to handling these at the Shot Show, and am guilty of having already written it off as just another Made In China junk tool with some special blades in it.

Happily, nothing could be further from the truth. And according to the inventor, this level of quality did not come without considerable effort. From the start, the Chinese manufacturers assured him that they could meet his stringent requirements, but were hung up on the high costs of doing so.

"Nobody had ever asked them to put quality first and costs second, so they had a hard time grasping the concept," the inventor said of his Chinese manufacturing contacts, "They had the expertise to do precision work, but no one had ever specified high quality before." But eventually the efforts paid off, leaving us with the original AR Multitasker, and this year's improved Series 2 version.

And for folks who aren't into shooting? Look forward to other Best Quality niche-specific multitools from this company in the future. :)

« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 05:25:04 AM by J-sews »
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Re: 2010 Shot - Multitasker
Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 04:40:36 AM
Wow, I like the G10 scales, tool arrangement and tanto blade! (IMO, a blade SOG should make for their MTs.)

Nice pics and writeup, Bob!  :tu:
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 04:57:55 AM
Now tell them what the high cost and precision of this tool is going to cost people!   :o

I think folks here will be somewhat amazed!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 04:58:34 AM
Looks very impressive. I like the G10 handles.  
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 05:02:54 AM
Now tell them what the high cost and precision of this tool is going to cost people!   :o

I think folks here will be somewhat amazed!

Def

The price of a best quality cost-is-no-object relatively limited run multitool from China?

Brownells has them listed for just over $70 if I remember correctly. :)

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 05:21:43 AM
Gosh I bet that MT has grabbed LM's attention for a number of reasons :o :o $70 :o :o. Be interesting if SOG taps into any of this high quality Chinese manufacturing processes.

I am never going to get a AR15 but gosh if this crowed puts out a more generalised tool I am on it big time.
Thanks Bob that looks a very nice MT 8) 8)

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 05:22:22 AM
That is an interesting multi, J-sews.  Any idea on when the thorough review will be posted? :)

And perhaps it's just me, or did anyone else think that such a company could have a nice PowerCut-like multitool if they wanted? >.>

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 05:25:21 AM
Wow, very nice materials used!

I'd be curious to know if it's completely made in u.s., how much would it be?

us Offline David

Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 05:25:41 AM
It has my attention
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 05:34:04 AM
I just want to thank Grant and Bob for taking time to stop by and visit. Your passion for multitool design and manufacturing is sincerely appreciated.

** I AM NOT HERE TO SPAM THE BOARD **

However, I did want to add that we are a corporate sponsor for Wounded Warrior Project (WWP); it is a worthy cause that we are proud to be associated with (we will donate $1 for each Multitasker sold to WWP). We plan to go down to JAX in the next 1-2 weeks to make our first donation per our agreement with WWP.

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

About the AR Multitasker, the Series 2 will be more expensive (by virtue of the billet pliers and other upgrades); MSRP will be $99.95

BTW Bob, the spanner wrench is for tightening the castle nut on the M4 stock - not for removing the barrel 8)

Cheers,

Shane

« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 05:54:50 AM by Multitaskertools »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 06:02:07 AM
I just want to thank Grant and Bob for taking time to stop by and visit. Your passion for multitool design and manufacturing is sincerely appreciated.

** I AM NOT HERE TO SPAM THE BOARD **

However, I did want to add that we are a corporate sponsor for Wounded Warrior Project (WWP); it is a worthy cause that we are proud to be associated with (we will donate $1 for each Multitasker sold to WWP). We plan to go down to JAX in the next 1-2 weeks to make our first donation per our agreement with WWP.

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

About the AR Multitasker, the Series 2 will be more expensive (by virtue of the billet pliers and other upgrades); MSRP will be $99.95

BTW Bob, the spanner wrench is for tightening the castle nut on the M4 stock - not for removing the barrel 8)

Cheers,

Shane

Greetings Shane, and thanks for the correction and extra info. :salute:

So how long has the Series 1 been out if I may ask?

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 06:03:25 AM
The original AR Multitasker took me 2 yrs to develop, and we started initial deliveries in June 2009.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 06:25:20 AM
Although i dont and probably never will own a M16, if i did this would be a great tool to carry, well done for breaking into what must be now a hard market to get into , it looks like a very solid tool, hell i would buy one even without a AR  :rofl: are you planning any other MT,s in the future,

paul

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 06:39:24 AM
Welcome to the forums Shane,great info on the Wounded Warrior Project,and great report Bob,it definitely got my attention!!! :salute:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 06:40:58 AM by Smitty44 »

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 07:18:57 AM
I like the fact that it was build from the ground up to be a dedicated AR MT :tu: Any other firearm specific tools on the horizon AK, Mini14, M14 etc...? Thx Bob for the review :cheers:

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 07:31:22 AM
A

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 08:16:42 AM
Amazing quality!

Always encouraging to see new faces in a competitive market that can give the big boys a run for their money.

Offline silentio

Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 09:00:41 AM
Nice write up, I find this interesting.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 09:53:11 AM by silentio »

Offline Magnus

Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 09:35:05 AM
If this (as has been hinted) is customisable like SOG tools, I am definitely interested.  As it is, I can't own an assault rifle, so it isn't going to be that useful to me being as speSmurfpillsed as it is.
[

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 09:55:07 AM
Top review Bob  :tu:  May I say you seem to be on a bit of a roll lately  :salute:

Interesting tool and company and one I will be watching out for future tools  :D

Is it just me or did it remind you of a Strider , it must be the G-10  :think:

Dunc

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: February 01, 2010, 10:05:04 AM
Very interesting tool with some good looking materials going into it.  As others have said I'm never going to need one of these but I'd certainly be interested to see a more general purpose multi made to the same specifications. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline GotUCovered

Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 11:48:07 AM
I looks and sounds to be a good product of good quality, but even if it were a more general multi-tool you can count me out.  No more Chinese if I can help it.  I know it's impossible to cut all Chinese products out, but on more frivolous purchases like a multi-tool no way.  It's made in China because it's cheaper and keeps their costs down while still devaluing the wages of Americans while still keeping us in the mess we're in.  Just because it looks like a good product and a good price isn't good enough for me. 

Sadly, count me out.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 02:24:48 PM
Everything’s adjustable

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 03:33:22 PM
This looks very interesting.

I'll certainly be having a close look at these I think :)

@Multitaskertools - Do you have plans for UK retail / distribution or will these need to be sourced from the US only? Also, when do you envisage a more mainstream, general purpose (dare I say Leatherman Wave type) tool will be on the market?

I used to come here a lot.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #24 on: February 01, 2010, 03:45:24 PM

@Multitaskertools - Do you have plans for UK retail / distribution or will these need to be sourced from the US only? Also, when do you envisage a more mainstream, general purpose (dare I say Leatherman Wave type) tool will be on the market?

What he said! :tu:

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #25 on: February 01, 2010, 03:47:42 PM

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

For those that object to the tool being made in China, I respect your opinion. At the end of the day, it was a business decision to do so.

I don't wish to dash anyone's hopes, but, for now, I am content to concentrate on development of weapon-specific multitools, as this is the market I know best. There are actually 3 Multitaskers that will be released in April (I will let Dave expound on that), all geared toward the M16/M4 platform, and I also have a pro-grade Armorer's wrench under development.

Honestly, I doubt that Multitasker will ever enter the general purpose multitool market; the reason would have to be extremely compelling for me to take on the big boys [in their realm]. However, I do see other niche markets that may present some opportunities in the future...

As for the customization aspect, what Bob meant is that we are able to customize our tools' feature set to meet specific customer requirements - not actually offer user customizable parts. I can't divulge anymore than that at the moment.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 03:49:45 PM by Multitaskertools »

Offline Magnus

Reply #26 on: February 01, 2010, 03:49:41 PM
I looks and sounds to be a good product of good quality, but even if it were a more general multi-tool you can count me out.  No more Chinese if I can help it.  I know it's impossible to cut all Chinese products out, but on more frivolous purchases like a multi-tool no way.  It's made in China because it's cheaper and keeps their costs down while still devaluing the wages of Americans while still keeping us in the mess we're in.  Just because it looks like a good product and a good price isn't good enough for me. 

Sadly, count me out.

It is merely free market economic forces balancing out an imbalance of wealth.
[

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #27 on: February 01, 2010, 04:29:01 PM

Sadly, count me out.

It is indeed simple market economics, but GotUCovered prefers to buy US made. I buy British whenever I can - I respect that :)

@Multitaskertools - I understand where you are coming from, it's a shame as that pretty well rules out a UK / European market for you I guess, but it sounds to me like you know where you're going with it, and I wish you the best of luck - it looks to be a great tool :tu:

I may pick one up for curiosity anyway, not having any C4 never stopped me buying EOD tools  :P
I used to come here a lot.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #28 on: February 01, 2010, 04:32:40 PM
Lol Dave , I reckon you carry an EOD tool so your mates think you do something cool that your not allowed to talk about  :rofl: :rofl:

Dunc

Offline Magnus

Reply #29 on: February 01, 2010, 04:33:07 PM

Sadly, count me out.

It is indeed simple market economics, but GotUCovered prefers to buy US made. I buy British whenever I can - I respect that :)

Too bad the are no UK made multi's then... at least I don't think the are any...  :think:
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD