Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

2010 Shot - Multitasker

J-sews · 181 · 26459

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Re: 2010 Shot - Multitasker
Reply #30 on: February 01, 2010, 04:34:40 PM
Lol Dave , I reckon you carry an EOD tool so your mates think you do something cool that your not allowed to talk about  :rofl: :rofl:

Nah, that's why I wear the pilot's uniform  :P

Too bad the are no UK made multi's then... at least I don't think the are any...  :think:

Yup - I agree. :)

I used to come here a lot.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #31 on: February 01, 2010, 04:42:27 PM
I blame Tom Cruise in Topgun  :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: February 01, 2010, 04:47:42 PM
Well, Bob's topic has gone down the pan already, so I may as well reply.....

Admit it - he had a pretty cool job in that film, no?

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #33 on: February 01, 2010, 04:54:19 PM

If it had of had just one multitool scene in it then it would have been the coolest film of all time   :D

Can't believe I just said that  :-[

Dunc

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #34 on: February 01, 2010, 04:57:35 PM

If it had of had just one multitool scene in it then it would have been the coolest film of all time   :D

Can't believe I just said that  :-[

Dunc

neither do i :o
A

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #35 on: February 01, 2010, 05:41:50 PM
Hey bob, PM me when you want this added to the main page....oh heck, you can do it right?

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #36 on: February 01, 2010, 06:41:48 PM
The Leatherman MUT is a nice tool but seems more gimmicky to me that the Multitasker.  This tool has nice lineup of tools to actually help maintain an AR.  The dental pick, the stock wrench, etc.  It's not just a fancy handle for a cleaning rod.  And the quality and price is exceptional.  Great story J-sews and welcome to the forum Multitasker and congrats on a nice tool.   :tu:
[

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #37 on: February 01, 2010, 07:13:01 PM
I like the look of it too for the price. Congrats on seemingly finding a niche market and doing a nice job of it  :cheers:

I really like the little bit holder - as a side thought, it might be worth selling things like those accessories separately as they have a wider appeal than just for owners of specific weapons etc.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Offline cryptrick

Reply #38 on: February 01, 2010, 10:16:52 PM
Looks a very nice tool, I love the fact you have the G10 scales :tu:
Probably wouldn't use most of the tools on this thing but I might still be tempted to buy one at sometime :)
[

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #39 on: February 02, 2010, 12:41:17 AM
I actually own a Bushmaster and I love this tool. However I dont think that this is for me. I have these tools, and really use a multi for a multi purpose. However this does not mean you have to go against the big guys, but just maybe offer several tools that can be exchanged out for more useful parts like saws and openers.

I however congradulate you on making one of the most handsome tools out there.
S

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #40 on: February 02, 2010, 01:27:43 AM
Very nice Shane! :salute: Great job again Bob :tu:

Thank you for taking the time to talk to us and Bob and Grant.
I respect when makers and companies remember us tool nuts!
Good Luck in the future :cheers:

« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 01:29:14 AM by WhichDawg »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: February 02, 2010, 01:32:07 AM
I dunno, most folks who takes the time to talk with Grant and I usually start nodding off after a few minutes. :P At least Shane had the decency to stay awake the whole time! :D

Hey Shane, a question: are you folks still planning to offer the Series 2 model in a regular version and a high grade version? ???

If so can you shed some details on what the differences between the two will be? :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #42 on: February 02, 2010, 03:28:45 AM
Hey bob, PM me when you want this added to the main page....oh heck, you can do it right?

Probably best to wait until we have an actual review of the tool, rather than some initial impressions based on a short play at a show!  :D

@ GotUCovered

You have the choice to buy what you like, and I don't think anyone here wants to change your opinion.  This tool however is solid proof of what I have been saying for years- that good products can indeed be made in China, and that the crap we usually associate with China made products is our own bloody fault.  In Shane's experience, Chinese manufacturers are so used to Westerners (using "Americans" as a general term, like Kleenex or Xerox) buying crap that they think that's what we want.  Given the amount of crapola that we obviously buy, I'd believe that's the way it was if that's what I had to go on.

I have seen and held and played with several of the Multitasker tools, and I can honestly say, they are very well put together, and, as much as it pains me to say it,  I haven't seen that level of perfection on any other tool.  It's hard to compare though, as the Multitaskers I looked at were (I think) prototypes, or at least small run tools, while all the others are mass produced, and as a result, have a higher measure of QC. 

While I know your issues are not with quality, but with country of manufacture, and I respect that, I have to say that you really don't know what you are missing!

Oh, and just so you all know it's really me (since I have the uncanny ability to shoot holes in anything!) I felt that this tool was too specialized, and as was said recently about Leatherman's MUT, why would you need a multitool which is always going to be a compromise, when you are probably going to have an entire cleaning kit available, or if not, you aren't likely to be disassembling the weapon for maintenance/cleaning.  According to the officer that helped Leatherman design the MUT, if the weapon jams when the fan is getting covered, the sad truth is that likely one of your buddies is already face down, and his weapon is likely to be available.  I see the same going for the Multitasker, and so the real value to me for tools like this, even fairly specific ones, are their ability to be used for general purpose functions.

That's not to take anything away from the Multitasker or the MUT, just pointing out that a multitool is always a compromise, and I'm not certain how often you are going to compromise on maintaining a weapon platform.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #43 on: February 02, 2010, 03:43:46 AM
...as much as it pains me to say it,  I haven't seen that level of perfection on any other tool....
Def

Better perfection than even Victorinox? o.o

Offline trickknife

• Deputy Dog
Reply #44 on: February 02, 2010, 05:22:05 AM

Probably best to wait until we have an actual review of the tool, rather than some initial impressions based on a short play at a show!  :D

Oh, and just so you all know it's really me (since I have the uncanny ability to shoot holes in anything!) I felt that this tool was too specialized, and as was said recently about Leatherman's MUT, why would you need a multitool which is always going to be a compromise, when you are probably going to have an entire cleaning kit available, or if not, you aren't likely to be disassembling the weapon for maintenance/cleaning.  According to the officer that helped Leatherman design the MUT, if the weapon jams when the fan is getting covered, the sad truth is that likely one of your buddies is already face down, and his weapon is likely to be available.  I see the same going for the Multitasker, and so the real value to me for tools like this, even fairly specific ones, are their ability to be used for general purpose functions.

That's not to take anything away from the Multitasker or the MUT, just pointing out that a multitool is always a compromise, and I'm not certain how often you are going to compromise on maintaining a weapon platform.

Def

I dunno.  If you are going to have a tool that is trying to hit a specific user group, then you have to go all out or what was the point to the exercise.  If you are in the field, you don't want to try to use  your pliers to unjam your M-16 if you have a MUT, you can do it with the right tool and not waste time trying to unfold your jaws.  If you do, you'll end up getting your bum shot off.  (can I say "bum" here?  I know brits have funny words for stuff like "tracky bottoms" and "trainers").   :pok:   

Anyway, GO BIG OR STAY HOME with the specialized multi-tools.  And if some limey or septics says I wouldn't use the particular assortment of features, then he's probably not in the Target Market.
-

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #45 on: February 02, 2010, 06:18:19 AM

Probably best to wait until we have an actual review of the tool, rather than some initial impressions based on a short play at a show!  :D

I have seen and held and played with several of the Multitasker tools, and I can honestly say, they are very well put together, and, as much as it pains me to say it,  I haven't seen that level of perfection on any other tool.  It's hard to compare though, as the Multitaskers I looked at were (I think) prototypes, or at least small run tools, while all the others are mass produced, and as a result, have a higher measure of QC.  

Point well taken Grant.

But honestly, if we tried to prep a small batch of "massaged" press samples, then substituted a lower spec unit for "mass" production, I think people would catch on rather quickly...I just don't see the point in doing something that shortsighted.

The proof will be when PRODUCTION units are delivered to retailers such as Brownells and ARFCOM (AR15.com); manufacturing is already underway, using the SAME processes (and materials) we used to make the samples displayed at SHOT. It is this production process that allows us to customize our tool platforms to accomodate specific customer requirement(s).

It is a real point of emphasis for our programme.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 07:04:06 AM by Multitaskertools »

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #46 on: February 02, 2010, 06:49:03 AM

Hey Shane, a question: are you folks still planning to offer the Series 2 model in a regular version and a high grade version? ???

If so can you shed some details on what the differences between the two will be? :)

The "std" version will have the billet pliers (GS2510 tool steel) with a 440C knife blade

The "mack daddy" version will come later, expect it to have billet pliers from same material but probably with cryogenic treatment of the steel, and the knife blade will be Daido DC53 tool steel (superior to D2); the supplied tool bits will be specially coated too. Not sure what the final form factor will be yet - I have a concept that is totally different from the Series2, am leaning towards putting it into limited production, just to test the market.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #47 on: February 02, 2010, 08:06:49 AM
G'day too you Shane , I really like what you have done with the Multitasker , your use of high grade materials have brought a new dimension too the Multitool market  :salute:. It is a real shame that a generalised non firearm version is not in your strategic plan  :( :( :( :( :( :D, as you have done ALL the hard work getting the  MT too this stage.Adding a saw , scissors, awl or a diamond file would be a piece of piss(easy :D :D :D).
Shane is the Multitasker solely intended for the North American market  :think: , if you could sub in a couple of easily obtainable tools in-lieu of the specific firearm tools, you would have a product with world wide appeal  :pok: :D :D + you would scare the bejeebers out of the 'Big Guys' , HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE  :D :gimme: :gimme: :gimme:
Thanks for talking too us mate  :cheers: :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Offline Magnus

Reply #48 on: February 02, 2010, 10:33:57 AM

Probably best to wait until we have an actual review of the tool, rather than some initial impressions based on a short play at a show!  :D

I have seen and held and played with several of the Multitasker tools, and I can honestly say, they are very well put together, and, as much as it pains me to say it,  I haven't seen that level of perfection on any other tool.  It's hard to compare though, as the Multitaskers I looked at were (I think) prototypes, or at least small run tools, while all the others are mass produced, and as a result, have a higher measure of QC.  

Point well taken Grant.

But honestly, if we tried to prep a small batch of "massaged" press samples, then substituted a lower spec unit for "mass" production, I think people would catch on rather quickly...I just don't see the point in doing something that shortsighted.

The proof will be when PRODUCTION units are delivered to retailers such as Brownells and ARFCOM (AR15.com); manufacturing is already underway, using the SAME processes (and materials) we used to make the samples displayed at SHOT. It is this production process that allows us to customize our tool platforms to accomodate specific customer requirement(s).

It is a real point of emphasis for our programme.

I think the point is, that when something is being mass produced, people get complacent and total quality can get a little lax.
[

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #49 on: February 02, 2010, 01:59:09 PM
Just a thought I had last night Bob, you know the whole powercut mod you did for the sog powerlock. Could the same thing be accomplished if you added some tool steel forged pliers instead? You discussed how everyone uses molds in the industry and this plier head stands out from the rest. I know that cost is a major factor in manufacturing, but could a mod be done like your other one?

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: February 02, 2010, 02:24:44 PM
I'm sad to see there won't be a more generic version but I can understand the reasoning.  It does look to be an exceptional tool.
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #51 on: February 02, 2010, 02:50:45 PM
G'day too you Shane , I really like what you have done with the Multitasker , your use of high grade materials have brought a new dimension too the Multitool market  :salute:. It is a real shame that a generalised non firearm version is not in your strategic plan  :( :( :( :( :( :D, as you have done ALL the hard work getting the  MT too this stage.Adding a saw , scissors, awl or a diamond file would be a piece of piss(easy :D :D :D).
Shane is the Multitasker solely intended for the North American market  :think: , if you could sub in a couple of easily obtainable tools in-lieu of the specific firearm tools, you would have a product with world wide appeal  :pok: :D :D + you would scare the bejeebers out of the 'Big Guys' , HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE  :D :gimme: :gimme: :gimme:
Thanks for talking too us mate  :cheers: :D

You make some good points, so I will consider this when mapping out future products.

What I may do is make a ltd. run of a high-end multitool with more general purpose applications. Can't promise WHEN, but it should be doable.

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #52 on: February 02, 2010, 02:56:22 PM
I think the point is, that when something is being mass produced, people get complacent and total quality can get a little lax.

The point I was trying to make is that our production process isn't really MASS production, hence our ability to hit higher QC measures as Grant alluded to.

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: February 02, 2010, 03:12:02 PM
These are built like tanks  :tu: I would just own one purely for the sheer quality alone  :drool:

[edit] Actually that's not quite true I could use the pliers,file,driver and knife   :D
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 03:15:24 PM by John »

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #54 on: February 02, 2010, 04:30:55 PM
G'day too you Shane , I really like what you have done with the Multitasker , your use of high grade materials have brought a new dimension too the Multitool market  :salute:. It is a real shame that a generalised non firearm version is not in your strategic plan  :( :( :( :( :( :D, as you have done ALL the hard work getting the  MT too this stage.Adding a saw , scissors, awl or a diamond file would be a piece of piss(easy :D :D :D).
Shane is the Multitasker solely intended for the North American market  :think: , if you could sub in a couple of easily obtainable tools in-lieu of the specific firearm tools, you would have a product with world wide appeal  :pok: :D :D + you would scare the bejeebers out of the 'Big Guys' , HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE  :D :gimme: :gimme: :gimme:

You make some good points, so I will consider this when mapping out future products.

What I may do is make a ltd. run of a high-end multitool with more general purpose applications. Can't promise WHEN, but it should be doable.

Shane  :tu: :tu: :tu:.
Saving , saving, saving  :gimme: :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: February 02, 2010, 09:17:40 PM

:gimme:

UK Group buy of AR15/M16 rifles on the horizon  >:D
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: February 02, 2010, 09:33:09 PM

:rofl:
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: February 02, 2010, 10:13:50 PM

Well you may put me down for one of those Shane. Can I have number #1 please? ;)

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: February 02, 2010, 10:32:00 PM

Yeah all shipped to sparky's house  :rofl:

I'd be in for both but I think the import duties would be rather extreme  :police:  :_c:  :D

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: February 02, 2010, 10:44:34 PM
I've got to go lads there's something happening out the front, blue flashing lights an stuff  :think:
Everything’s adjustable

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD