Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

2010 Shot - Multitasker

J-sews · 181 · 26381

Offline Multitaskertools

Re: 2010 Shot - Multitasker
Reply #60 on: February 02, 2010, 11:45:28 PM
For those interested, here is a detailed review of the original AR Multitasker, including photos showing how to use the various implements; so at least you know it's not vaporware :P

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1714

We were able to gather useful feedback from the release of the original and incorporate those ideas into the Series2. Nobody actually complained about the cast pliers in the original, but we had an opportunity to switch to billet so we took it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 11:47:50 PM by Multitaskertools »

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #61 on: February 03, 2010, 12:08:07 AM
Multitaskertools,

Great tool.  Anyone that served in the US Military or owns an AR variant or both, knows that your tool is exceptionally thought out for it's purpose.  Your tool would be an excellent compliment to the standard military cleaning kit, i.e. cleaning rods, bore brush, brass tooth brush and Break Free.  Well done.   :salute: :tu:     
[

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #62 on: February 03, 2010, 01:00:01 AM
I've got to go lads there's something happening out the front, blue flashing lights an stuff  :think:

:rofl:

See you in a few years mate.  :_c: :police:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #63 on: February 03, 2010, 01:42:31 AM
Multitaskertools,

Great tool.  Anyone that served in the US Military or owns an AR variant or both, knows that your tool is exceptionally thought out for it's purpose.  Your tool would be an excellent compliment to the standard military cleaning kit, i.e. cleaning rods, bore brush, brass tooth brush and Break Free.  Well done.   :salute: :tu:     

That's just a distraction, they'll be dropping in from the black helicopters round the back  :ahhh
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

00 Offline 1jump2many

Reply #64 on: February 03, 2010, 04:57:17 AM
Multitaskertools,

That's just a distraction, they'll be dropping in from the black helicopters round the back  :ahhh

Black helos went out with the 90's, it seems it's Predator UAV's now.  One second you're there the next............   :D
[

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #65 on: February 03, 2010, 06:58:54 AM
Oh, and just so you all know it's really me (since I have the uncanny ability to shoot holes in anything!) I felt that this tool was too specialized, and as was said recently about Leatherman's MUT, why would you need a multitool which is always going to be a compromise, when you are probably going to have an entire cleaning kit available, or if not, you aren't likely to be disassembling the weapon for maintenance/cleaning.

That's not to take anything away from the Multitasker or the MUT, just pointing out that a multitool is always a compromise, and I'm not certain how often you are going to compromise on maintaining a weapon platform.

Def

Grant, our idea of the weapon-specific multitool is that it isn't intended to replace the cleaning kit - it is actually designed to work in conjunction WITH the OTIS cleaning kit supplied to the US military.

What we did intend to replace was this:

:tu:

Offline Magnus

Reply #66 on: February 03, 2010, 09:10:09 AM
Oh, and just so you all know it's really me (since I have the uncanny ability to shoot holes in anything!) I felt that this tool was too specialized, and as was said recently about Leatherman's MUT, why would you need a multitool which is always going to be a compromise, when you are probably going to have an entire cleaning kit available, or if not, you aren't likely to be disassembling the weapon for maintenance/cleaning.

That's not to take anything away from the Multitasker or the MUT, just pointing out that a multitool is always a compromise, and I'm not certain how often you are going to compromise on maintaining a weapon platform.

Def

Grant, our idea of the weapon-specific multitool is that it isn't intended to replace the cleaning kit - it is actually designed to work in conjunction WITH the OTIS cleaning kit supplied to the US military.

What we did intend to replace was this:

(Image removed from quote.)

:tu:

but, the is no wire brush on it?  :pok:
[

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #67 on: February 03, 2010, 02:39:00 PM
but, the is no wire brush on it?  :pok:

didn't have a dental pick or carbon scraper handy when we took the photo - but hopefully you get the point :P

Offline Sick Boy

• Zombies are afraid of me
Reply #68 on: February 17, 2010, 06:19:32 AM
I am lucky enough to own both a Gen 1 and a Gen 2. I like the Gen 2's new liner-locks.

My Gen 2:

The dental pick is also a nice touch, but I kinda miss the flat, sharp edge of the Gen 1's filer/scrapper tip. That's why I have 2!  :D

And I have to say the bolt scrapper is just about the best thing there is, lets me clean the bolt extremely well and reach inside the carrier to get out all the nasties too.

And the new bit holder is the bet little addition! The Gen 1 holder could sometimes be a bit of a hassle to get in and out of it's elastic hodler because the bit would grab the edges. Now it's just in and out like Wet Platinum. lol

I'm very happy to own the 2 I do and can't wait to see more Multitasker designed tools.
[

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: February 18, 2010, 10:26:59 PM
I'm in the boat of "No guns, no need", but none the less offer my thanks and congratulations on bringing a new product to the market, it's also nice that you're catering to speSmurfpillst markets, the members of which are probably carrying a multitool and a toolroll for their gear currently.

Praise is also worthy for managing to successfully find a good manufacturing firm & communicate to them what exactly it is you want, and getting them to stick to your plans, I know how much can get lost in translation.

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: February 19, 2010, 07:33:58 AM
Side to side comparison of gen 1 and 2 pics if available, and which version is sold by Brownells? Thx, V.

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #71 on: February 19, 2010, 02:41:57 PM
Side to side comparison of gen 1 and 2 pics if available, and which version is sold by Brownells? Thx, V.

I'll post some pics later today - have to go fetch a Gen1.

Brownells has the Gen1 in their catalog (pg. 454), and will have the first shipment of Gen2 tools in approx. 3 weeks.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #72 on: February 20, 2010, 09:23:29 PM

Brownells has the Gen1 in their catalog (pg. 454), and will have the first shipment of Gen2 tools in approx. 3 weeks.

Put me down for one please :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #73 on: February 21, 2010, 04:39:36 AM

Put me down for one please :D

Bob, i will be sending you one of EACH (production spec) tools  :multi:

I havent located a Gen1 yet (maybe Monday) - will post comparision photos when I can

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #74 on: February 21, 2010, 03:29:59 PM
Don't send him one until he provides proof that he bought a new AR-15 to test it on!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #75 on: February 22, 2010, 01:48:58 AM
Don't send him one until he provides proof that he bought a new AR-15 to test it on!  :D

Def

I've got my wife convinced that I need one in order to do a proper review of all the new AR tools coming out :D

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #76 on: February 22, 2010, 01:50:32 AM
Got one in mind? 

And why do I get the feeling your wife is going to want to test your new AR15 on me?  :o

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #77 on: February 22, 2010, 02:01:30 AM
Got one in mind? 

And why do I get the feeling your wife is going to want to test your new AR15 on me?  :o

Def

Not to worry....she prefers strangulation to gunfire, and I am the sole beneficiary of her ill intent. :P :D

I was browsing the Rock River Arms site just this afternoon :) but I need someone to explain to me the pros and cons of gas guns versus piston guns :-[   

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: February 22, 2010, 02:15:36 AM
Got one in mind? 

Def

Not to worry....she prefers strangulation to gunfire, and I am the sole beneficiary of her ill intent. :P :D

I was browsing the Rock River Arms site just this afternoon :) but I need someone to explain to me the pros and cons of gas guns versus piston guns :-[   
Direct gas impingement is the original operating system designed by Gene Stoner for the AR-10 and later adopted for the scaled down AR-15. The gas is bled off of the barrel down the gas port and directly (hence direct impingement) on to the bold carrier which in turn unlocks the bolt and cycles the rifle.
The controversy with this system is that A: if cheap/"dirty" ammo is used it will clog up the rifle and render it useless. B: if the gun is not properly maintained and cleaned even if you shoot "clean" ammo it will start acting up on you.
Gas piston ARs are a "new" phenomenon. Gas pistons were around a long time and still are the most common rifle operating system. In this system the gas is bled off the gas port and instead of acting directly on the bolt carrier it pushes on a piston which moves the bolt carrier unlocking the bolt and cycling the weapon.
The advantages of the piston is that it's cleaner, no carbon and other powder residue enter the receiver and the rifle is cleaner after a day of shooting and easier to maintain in the field.
Hope this explains the differences.   

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #79 on: February 23, 2010, 12:01:28 AM
OK, Series2 vs original 1st Gen pics as promised (sorry for the quality, shot with a point and shoot)

Series2 (CNC billet toolsteel) pliers on the LEFT. 1st Gen pliers (cast 420ss) on the RIGHT; the prototype Series2 did not have time to get the QPQ Mellonite treatment - production units will. The place that does the treatment also handles a lot of engine component work for Toyota, so Im thinking they have more slots open to take my work now  :rofl:

Series2 vs. 1st Gen tool bit driver comparision pics:

The new bit driver uses a magnet to hold in the bits, much easier to insert, and it allows me to use the more elegant tool bit holder, which integrates nicely into the new improved carrying pouch. Overall, just much more refined.

In order to make room for the new accessory slot that accomodates the dental pick/optional PIN PUNCH/Otis cleaning kit cable, we had to cut away a portion of the grip panel and also scallop out part of the bit driver

more pics to follow...

« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 02:52:51 AM by Multitaskertools »

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #80 on: February 23, 2010, 01:50:50 AM
wire EDM marks

Series2 tool bit carrier - the 10 bits are the most common ones for use with M16/M4 rifles - hence the 5 hex bits

Series2 carry pouch - MOLLE compatible

The little brother (Ultralight), it has 4 separate liner lock safety mechanisms

The feedback we gained from releasing the original AR Multitasker last year has proven invaluable. We have been able to refine the concept of M16/M4-specific multitool to where we feel like we can compete head on against the Leatherman MUT.

In terms of brand recognition, well of course that is an uphill battle against such a powerhouse brand. However, we feel VERY confident in the feature set and build quality of our Multitasker offerings.

:salute:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #81 on: February 23, 2010, 02:02:43 AM
While I'm never going to own a M16, I do appreciate a good bit of engineering.  Thanks for taking the time to go through the differences. :salute:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #82 on: February 23, 2010, 03:51:33 AM
OK, Series2 vs original 1st Gen pics as promised (sorry for the quality, shot with a point and shoot)

Series2 (CNC billet toolsteel) pliers on the LEFT. 1st Gen pliers (cast 420ss) on the RIGHT; the prototype Series2 did not have time to get the QPQ Mellonite treatment - production units will. The place that does the treatment also handles a lot of engine component work for Toyota, so Im thinking they have more slots open to take my work now  :rofl:

I absolutely love the idea of billet tool steel pliers instead of cast stainless steel! :tu:  That was a stroke of pure genius Shane. :salute: Have you done any "destruct" testing or the like to see how much more abuse the new tool steel one can take?

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #83 on: February 23, 2010, 04:10:07 AM
Have you done any "destruct" testing or the like to see how much more abuse the new tool steel one can take?

Not yet, just havent had time.

However, you are welcome to beat on your T&E samples any way you want  :tu:

I absolutely love the idea of billet tool steel pliers instead of cast stainless steel! :tu:  That was a stroke of pure genius Shane. :salute:

One man's genius is another's insanity :ahhh

These pliers are a PAIN to make.

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #84 on: February 23, 2010, 04:13:00 AM

For civilian use, you should be fine with a direct impingement setup as long as you follow some sensible maintenance routine. An AR is not an AK >:D

Some of these new piston designs are unproven too - never a good thing for a retrofit design IMO.

Offline SoDak

Reply #85 on: February 23, 2010, 04:18:44 AM
Got one in mind? 

Def

I can't add much to what donvito said, but I would say that for most purposes I would go DI. BTW, If you can afford a little more than a Rock River, you might want to look at BCM(bravo company).

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #86 on: February 23, 2010, 04:25:40 AM
Bob, you should browse the Equipment Exchange forum on AR15.com

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=7&f=21

and EE on M4Carbine.net

http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=108

Offline Magnus

Reply #87 on: February 23, 2010, 08:26:55 AM
any chance of you selling the bit carrier separately?  It has to be one of the best bit carriers I have seen.  :gimme:
[

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #88 on: February 23, 2010, 11:27:50 AM

Series2 vs. 1st Gen tool bit driver comparision pics:

The new bit driver uses a magnet to hold in the bits, much easier to insert, and it allows me to use the more elegant tool bit holder, which integrates nicely into the new improved carrying pouch. Overall, just much more refined.

In order to make room for the new accessory slot that accomodates the dental pick/optional PIN PUNCH/Otis cleaning kit cable, we had to cut away a portion of the grip panel and also scallop out part of the bit driver

more pics to follow...

Nice pics! :drool:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: February 23, 2010, 02:35:38 PM

For civilian use, you should be fine with a direct impingement setup as long as you follow some sensible maintenance routine. An AR is not an AK >:D

Some of these new piston designs are unproven too - never a good thing for a retrofit design IMO.
The piston uppers or complete systems are so different from each other that they are going to make the AR platform incompatible in a few years. Every manufacturer is making his own piston AR, unlike with DI the parts are more or less swappable, and like Shane said the piston rifles are very unproven.

Thanks for the comparison pics :tu: :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD