Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Serrated spartan?

cbl51 · 27 · 6023

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Serrated spartan?
on: December 03, 2014, 04:10:44 PM
Has anyone here ever had the serrated blade spartan?

I saw then at the web site for the big place in the Smokies, and I was wondering how they were fro an edc pocket knife? I've never been a big fan of serrated blades except in the kitchen, but of late I may be changing my mind. I've been using those little red plastic handle Vic paring knives that come witht he plastic blade sheath for general  use knives in the house. I've been amazed at how well they cut a wide variety of material, and how well the edge holds up. I sharpen then when needed with a little diamond rod hone from Eze-Lap that looks like a little pen. They just get wicked sharp.

So, now in my old age, I was actually considering a serrated edge main edc on my SAK.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Serrated spartan?
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 04:14:26 PM
I dont have a serrated SAK but I do carry serrated knives for work and love them.  I have always wondered why the objection to serrated.  I figured it was due to the some what difficulty in sharpening them. 
Esse Quam Videri

ua Offline LeaF

Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 04:26:02 PM
Serrated Spartan also known as Weekender.
I have this model in my collection: http://leaf-vics.blogspot...der-spartan-serrated.html

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 04:28:11 PM
I do not EDC one but having a small regular edge blade makes it a good choice if cutting lots of heavy or hard to cut items. You still have the small blade for fine or less rigorous cutting chores.

Of course you could also use the Wenger Double blade model which has both type main blades.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 04:31:21 PM by stressmaster5000 »

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 05:12:07 PM
I have several, the serrated 91mm blade is excellent. My EDC SAK is a custom Climber with the serrated blade from a Spartan donor. I tend to use the small blade more often and the large one for occasional food prep and other heavier duty cutting, so this setup is more versatile for me. Also the serrated 91mm blades are the older style heavier tang with the crossbow stamp which I think is preferable. The SS is a great minimalist SAK, esp. with plus scales.
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 207 KB)

gb Offline Ross

Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 06:02:04 PM
Although I have one in the collection I have not used as a EDC.  There is something I like about knowing I having this one in my collection though.

us Offline ScottP

Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 07:50:59 AM
I recently acquired a Serrated Spartan. I am curious about the best way to sharpen these serrated blades.
Thanks in advance.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 08:35:26 AM
I recently acquired a Serrated Spartan. I am curious about the best way to sharpen these serrated blades.
Thanks in advance.

Purchase Spyderco Sharpmaker.

Watch included video.

Follow instructions on the video.

Profit.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 11:10:54 AM
I'm one of the guys who view serrations as a dealbreaker for an all-round blade, and since people are wondering:

The most usual objection is they can't be sharpened on a flat stone, but that's not my main problem with them.

• Serrated blades are horrible for whittling, even sharpening a pencil with a serrated blade is clumsy compared to a plain blade.
  • If cutting something like paper, the serrations can easily start tearing the paper and making the cut rough.

The same properties which make serrations great are the same which make them annoying. Serrated blades certainly have their place, but to me they are strictly special use tools. It's the usual thing, everybody have to find what works for themselves and their use cases. I can see a serrated Spartan, with a plain small blade, cover a lot of people's needs. Personally, I value all-round utility over an improved ability to cut many soft materials, but I certainly recognize that as my own personal trade-off.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 12:41:56 PM
Cutting paper with a SE blade makes me want to punch a kitten.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 05:00:00 PM
Wouldn't getting the pencil into the scalloped part of the serrations be advantageous?  All my serrated knives are sharp enough to slice thru paper by push cutting using the scallop part. 

I totally get why some are not fans, Im not trying to convince anyone otherwise.  I like them and you are right they are serious deal breakers for many knife people. 

Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 06:34:07 PM
Wouldn't getting the pencil into the scalloped part of the serrations be advantageous?

It probably would work with a thin enough pencil, at least? A typical pencil is about 8 mm in diameter, not a lot of serrations that big, I think? :think: Are there anybody here who both uses wooden pencils and use a serrated EDC who could test a little for us? :D

(I don't have any knife with that big serrations and anyway I would be very biased since I mostly use the small blade on a SAK for the job and probably would find having to change my technique annoying in itself.)

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 06:55:35 PM
I will try it when I get home. I will use a #2 pencil then a carpenters pencil with my Skely.
Nate

SEND IT!

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 08:24:57 PM
The MT.o way!   :tu:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 10:05:46 PM
While not ideal, the serrated part of the blade did work ok.
uploadfromtaptalk1417727030249.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1417727030249.jpg (Filesize: 25.65 KB)
uploadfromtaptalk1417727045976.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1417727045976.jpg (Filesize: 84.96 KB)
uploadfromtaptalk1417727060860.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1417727060860.jpg (Filesize: 78.14 KB)
Nate

SEND IT!

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 04, 2014, 10:21:43 PM
Thanks for testing! Even though the result was a partial score for serrated blades.  ;)

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 11:51:57 PM
 :ahhh

Having already a small plane blade, is great to have a serrated one too ... great for ham and salami btw, :D not to mention some kinda fine sawing work  >:D
"My Troubleshooter" vs pencil ...

... say cheese  :D

... after six slight strokes through butter ;)

... what about paper ???

... butter affair once again >:D

:gimme:
5.JPG
* 5.JPG (Filesize: 102.36 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: December 04, 2014, 11:54:42 PM
Oh I like that SAK, Troubleshooter you say?   :think:  may have to get one of those good looking SAKs. 

Me and my big mouth  :facepalm:
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 05, 2014, 12:12:57 AM
Oh I like that SAK, Troubleshooter you say?   :think:  may have to get one of those good looking SAKs. 

Me and my big mouth  :facepalm:
:D Of course you need one like this  :facepalm:

Btw, I said "My Troubleshooter" :D In fact is kinda Troubleshooter (corkscrew instead of phillips, new file, serrated Spartan's blade, pliers with crimper, pliers in the middle). In fact is Serrated Spartan with added tools  >:D
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,52002.25.html
 :angel:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: December 05, 2014, 12:16:08 AM
WOW thats a lovely job you did  :tu:.  I remember seeing the thread now, it was just to good to be a standard model.   
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 05, 2014, 12:30:46 AM
 :D :hatsoff:

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #21 on: December 05, 2014, 03:36:01 AM
I am trying to give SE blades a fair chance. Leaving the SE blade on my Skeletool for the challenge and trying to keep an open mind.

Honestly though just between you and me I do not think it will end well.

I keep my knives stupid sharp and they cut rope. food and the various other items SE are known to be good for just fine. Heck they cut great.

So why do I need a SE blade then? This question is rhetorical.

Now if SE blades we're good at everything then fine I could just carry them because they look cool I suppose but SE has issues. Paper and the like.

Hmm seems my mind is not as open as I had hoped.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: December 05, 2014, 06:52:40 AM
I'd put up my serrated Spyderco's against any PE in terms of sharpness.  I keep my knives sharp, all my knives sharp but here is something to look at.  Once a PE is dull along the whole length of the cutting edge then what?  Well its dull, unlike a SE when the high points of contact are dull the lower scallops are still sharp.  I'd even say and agree sharpish for argument sake.   However it's for this reason the SE would stay sharper longer given both knife blades are the same steel.

I have not experienced a difference in cutting other than the "feeling" of the material being torn as a result of the many points of contact a SE blade has vs PE.  THe talk of a precision cut vs a rough cut is of no matter to me because I dont use my knives for precision work.  I love both and because I carry a MT with a PE I choose to carry a SE, heck I even like my CE Tenacious.

I would choose SE over CE any day but it's not a deal breaker for me.  I have some fantastic PE knives so for me there is no clear "better" so I guess I'm lucky that way.  I get my cake and get to eat it too.     

I sharpen my S30 and VG10 SE Spydies no problem and the edge is push cut sharp.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #23 on: December 05, 2014, 08:06:20 AM
I'd put up my serrated Spyderco's against any PE in terms of sharpness.  I keep my knives sharp, all my knives sharp but here is something to look at.  Once a PE is dull along the whole length of the cutting edge then what?  Well its dull, unlike a SE when the high points of contact are dull the lower scallops are still sharp.  I'd even say and agree sharpish for argument sake.   However it's for this reason the SE would stay sharper longer given both knife blades are the same steel.

I have not experienced a difference in cutting other than the "feeling" of the material being torn as a result of the many points of contact a SE blade has vs PE.  THe talk of a precision cut vs a rough cut is of no matter to me because I dont use my knives for precision work.  I love both and because I carry a MT with a PE I choose to carry a SE, heck I even like my CE Tenacious.

I would choose SE over CE any day but it's not a deal breaker for me.  I have some fantastic PE knives so for me there is no clear "better" so I guess I'm lucky that way.  I get my cake and get to eat it too.     

I agree to all of what you say for the most part.

SE blades can be made stupid sharp of that there is no doubt.

SE blades can be used longer as far as sharpness or dullness in this case. This never comes into effect for me because I have this amazing tool they came out with. I call it a sharpening stone.

Now I can see the merits of SE, just do not think it is for me.

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: December 06, 2014, 02:19:39 AM
I have a serrated spartan plus that I really like.

It sharpens nicely on a carbodiimide stone. 

To get the angle, imagine you are scraping a postage stamp off the edge of the stone.

On the side of the chisel grind make 7 strokes against the edge of the stone.  Flip over and do 2 strokes on the other side.

After a few times, strop(in reverse) against the edge of a leather belt 7 x 2 also

Scary Sharp

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: December 06, 2014, 02:28:07 AM

I agree to all of what you say for the most part.

SE blades can be made stupid sharp of that there is no doubt.

SE blades can be used longer as far as sharpness or dullness in this case. This never comes into effect for me because I have this amazing tool they came out with. I call it a sharpening stone.

Now I can see the merits of SE, just do not think it is for me.

:salute:

:pok: Spyderco really changed my mind on SE. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: December 06, 2014, 12:42:34 PM
I like SE and PE blades. I prefer the PE for most task. Not a fan of a combo blades.
Nate

SEND IT!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59