Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Maxpedition Mongo Review-Roscoeboa on YouTube

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Maxpedition Mongo Review-Roscoeboa on YouTube
on: January 04, 2010, 02:24:03 PM
Good review...I'm extremely impressed and very interested.  :)
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Re: Maxpedition Mongo Review-Roscoeboa on YouTube
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 02:44:44 PM
Rozza does some great reviews :)

I was interested in the Mongo but though the Falcon would have more versatility. Though the Mongo looks like a superb laptop bag :)
[

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 02:45:48 PM
Yeah, thanks to her I've bought many a Maxpedition product.

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 03:49:35 PM
And that Mongo would fit legal size papers, if that is of any interest to you. I've noticed that a lot of maxped bags were just to small for that.

Now, what color?

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 03:52:02 PM
Thanks to her I got my first Maxpedition product. and for I love EDC bags I guerss the Mongo could be my second - I do not like the ubertactical versipacks, bnut this seems to be a nice semi-civilian looking bag for EDC fans.
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

us Offline texasflyfisher

• I'd rather be fishing
Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 04:24:01 PM
While I do own several Maxpedition bags and packs, I find the storm collar and the gap on the sides of the main flap as a main issue with this type of bag. I have the Fat Boy that I use as fishing bag and while it is comfortable, this design wouldn't be my first choice for EDC. I prefer the zipper top close of the Lunada and my Colossus. My EDC choice though is a Pygmy Falcon.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 09:04:55 PM
I think Ros' Maxpedition reviews are the best out there tbh. And there isn't much she hasn't covered, usually in great detail.

It was her review that decided me on the Falcon II (including the colour) in fact. I like the way her enthusiasm for Maxpedition gear is obvious, without sounding like a Maxpedition employee - if you see what I mean.

Great stuff :)
I used to come here a lot.

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 10:44:21 PM
Exactly, and she is soooo much better than that Monkey guy. That midget is funny, but I do not trust his reviews.

I wonder how Roscoeba is looking? She never shows her face but sounds cute ;)
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 10:49:55 PM
I forgot that's she's a member here actually. Hasn't posted for a while though.

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 03:22:16 AM
i too like her reviews.  milspec has some good point boss so dont count him out...  santa (my wife) got me one of his shirts and a number of patches.  i rock them with pride!!!

and that mongo is friggin huge!  its a tacti-cool techie man bag for that geek who needs a lappie with him at all times...

i'll stick with my sitka though... its as big as i want to go for EDC  hell my jumbo fits the bill 99% of the time...
'

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 05:29:43 PM
Damn. I got all excited when she fit that 17" laptop in there. Then I measured mine and it's about an inch or so bigger in both dimensions and really doubt I could fit it in there. Been trying to find a decent bag for it since I bought the thing. Almost two years and I still can't find anything worthwhile at a reasonable price that I can cram the thing into  :rant:

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 01:52:15 AM
i have a dakine campus backpack i'll send ya at a good price :-)
'

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 05:34:26 AM
I'm really wanting something MOLLE compatible so I can tack on a few smaller pouches to better organize my various mice, headsets, controllers... you get the idea. Countycomm has a Maratac bag that looks promising, but I can't pull the trigger until I get some cashflow going and get back on top my debt first.

Offline Cuso

Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 10:10:03 PM
I can happily hear this woman talk all day. Love how she goes to the point about the items and the review flows without boring you with too much blah blah. The Maxped items I own are because of her. The Monkey is fine, he is the source for detailed pictures of Maxped items ( his pictures are even better than Maxped's), but I find his videos a bit long and too tacticool, like someone is telling him behind the camera what to say. Just saying...

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 10:40:53 PM
God I love her! She actually knows the stuff!!
S

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 10:58:07 PM
Just watched the review.

Now I'm not bashing Maxpedition specifically, but....

Rather than having a bunch of small pockets/pouches and redundant material, wouldn't you rather have a single larger bag, which has easy access into the bag, superior waterproofieng and centralized weightload for more efficient carrying?

If something HAS to be in a separate pouch, just get a size specific pouch and store it in the bag when you need it, remove when you don't.

I find carrying a bag that is shaped like  ?[] is an easier carry than one shaped like ?[__] (Tall and thin rather than short and fat--question marks are pack straps)

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 12:54:57 AM
There are three advantages to the pouches for me at least:

1) You can slim the pack down when you don't need to carry loads of gear;
2) You can can pick and choose pouches to suit what you want to carry, which in general means that it'll perform better for a specific purpose;
3) It's easier to find and grab stuff of you don't have to root around in a single large pocket where all your stuff resides.

I'm guessing that those three reasons are part of the overall reason that NATO armies have standardised their webbing into the MOLLE system :)

I should add a reason 4 - it's fun too :)

I find carrying a bag that is shaped like  ?[] is an easier carry than one shaped like ?[__] (Tall and thin rather than short and fat--question marks are pack straps)

I completely agree, and you need to be careful not to add too much on the back of the pack. I actually prefer to locate stuff on the sides if they'll fit, as the sides are wasted space really. :)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 12:57:08 AM by DaveK »

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 02:42:51 AM
There are three advantages to the pouches for me at least:

1) You can slim the pack down when you don't need to carry loads of gear;
2) You can can pick and choose pouches to suit what you want to carry, which in general means that it'll perform better for a specific purpose;
3) It's easier to find and grab stuff of you don't have to root around in a single large pocket where all your stuff resides.

I'm guessing that those three reasons are part of the overall reason that NATO armies have standardised their webbing into the MOLLE system :)

I should add a reason 4 - it's fun too :)

Are you saying that those pouches on the back of the Maxpedition packs can be completely removed?  Can it be stripped down to a bare sack and harness? That would be cool...

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 03:16:16 AM
It depends which pouches you mean I guess!

The flask pouch on the back, and the little GPS pouch on the side in this pic are removable yeah - is that what you meant? You can fix them anywhere there's the webbing. And of course because the webbing is the MOLLE / military standard, the whole "modular" concept means that all the different brands are interchangeable so you can put Kifaru / Maxpedition / Web-Tex / Tad Gear etc together.

Even the EDC Organisers that seem to compulsory on this forum now, can be attached. It's like Lego, but with bags :D

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 03:56:57 AM
I was thinking of the upper and lower blue pouches.  If I could zip or velcro off those 2 pouches, that would be cool. Basically use those pouches as specific accessory pouches that wouldn't need to be on there all the time.

BTW, lots of the single sack backpacks have compression strap systems of one sort or another, basically flattening the pack as much as possible for the load.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 11:41:08 AM
Ah, I'm with you, no they are part of the bag, but are quite narrow though. I suppose if you overloaded them then you might get some "balance issues", but they aren't that deep.

The bag in the pic there has compression straps too, and in the pic the main bag is probably no more than 6 or 7 inches deep, including the external pockets. Obviously, that could extend out significantly to perhaps 18 inches if you wanted to shove a sleeping bag or something in there, but I generally wouldn't, and usually just have some waterproofs, Trangia etc.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD