Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Octane Review (pic heavy)

Zack · 51 · 17845

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Gerber Octane Review (pic heavy)
on: February 03, 2010, 02:21:00 AM
Octane.

The Octane is a light/medium duty tool with their tried and true sliding plier head design.  On board it carries a: Plier head, hard wire notch, bottle opener, CE OH knife blade, clamshell opener, flat head driver, and Phillips driver.  

Thoughts:

Pliers: I am not a huge fan of the sliding plier design, because it makes it very difficult to get to the tools in the handles, and limits the tools you can fit.  The plier head on mine is very loose, with a lot of side to side and vertical play.  They lock fine but the wobble is something I just don’t like in my pliers.  Hard wire notch is typical quality and handled coat hanger with not too much effort.

Bottle opener:  This is a new take on multitool bottle openers.  You open the pliers place the bottle opener around the cap and pull. This design works fairly well, and pretty easy to deploy due to the sliding pliers.

Knife:  Knife is a modified sheepsfoot with a combo edge.  The liner lock done on mine is horrible, and hopefully will be revamped in later designs and models.  The liner travels to far on the tang, meaning as the tang wears with the lock, the knife will develop play, as there is no room for wear.  The liner is also not very long; it is merely a tab that clicks into the handle, which doesn’t look very sturdy.  Time will tell how it holds up.

Clamshell opener:  This is probably one of the best innovations that have come along in multitools in quite some time.  This one is a pull type opener, which is different from the Strata’s push type.  I must say it works wonderfully.  Mainly poke the tip in the clamshell and pull.  It also makes a great box opener, grout ripper, fingernail cleaner and general poker/scraper.  This is one of the best aspects of the tool.

Flat head driver:  Pretty basic, works as intended.

Phillips driver:  Finally a 3D driver from Gerber.  Works great, decent length, and thick.  It’s not slippery as long as the head is the right size, and I’m glad in the direction Gerber is going regarding the 3D Phillips driver.

Another thing I really like in this tool is the pocket clip.  Its no secret that I don’t like the Skeletool pocket clip, but this one is nice.  It’s a low riding clip with just the right amount of tension and fairly inconspicuous.

Overall:  For a light duty tool or someone looking for something different from the Leatherman Juice and Skeletool range, this is a nice tool.  The blade is a little off putting, due to the liner lock, but most of us carry a dedicated knife anyway.  Will this replace your Wave or Spirit?  Probably not, but for a lightweight EDC tool I think it’s worth a look.

Note:  A Leatherman Charge Ti was used in all pictures for size comparison only.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 02:23:43 AM by Zack »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Gerber Octane Review (pic heavy)
Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 02:28:01 AM
For some reason the blade shape really speaks to me, very nice. :)  Thanks for the review and excellent pics. :salute:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 02:29:46 AM
I like the shape too, and its very smooth to open, I just wish the liner lock was made better.

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 02:37:11 AM
great review man :salute: and great pics too :tu:
A

us Offline SlackOne

• See Saw Seen
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 03:28:27 AM
Gotta know...does this pinch the hand less than the older sliding-head Gerbers (minus the gimmicky Flik)?
Half-ass done wholeheartedly!

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 03:43:12 AM
Hasn't pinched me yet...knock on wood.

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 03:49:18 AM
Thx for the review Zack :tu: how did you open the clamshell with the tool inside? :think: :D

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 03:53:21 AM
I used the Ultimate clamshell opener....My Emerson CQC7

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 04:00:29 AM
I was opening my Fuse Monarch 200 combo clamshell today (gave away the flashlight to a girl at work when I saw the type of battery it uses, kept the Fuse as work tool) and not wanting to ruin any of my blades used work scissors instead and think ruined them in the process  :twak: :D

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 04:04:06 AM
How would a blade of any quality be ruined by plastic?

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 04:15:44 AM
Not ruined you're right, but dulled, it was some tough plastic :D and I went around the edges trying to preserve the paper intact.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 04:52:30 AM
Nice review Zack and great pics as well :tu:

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 05:00:48 AM
Another fantastic review, Zack!  :tu:
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 05:06:00 AM
I think there's a lot more to this tool than first meets the eye. And its a big improvement over Gerber offerings of the last few years.

The tool itself is relatively small, yet the knife blade is comparitively long. And it operates smoothly one hand opening. And those screwdrivers, notice how long they are? Good job Gerber I'll say. :salute:

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 06:09:10 AM
Fine review and some nice pictures. :tu: I may have to check out the Octane.
"

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 07:22:59 AM
For some reason the blade shape really speaks to me, very nice. :)  Thanks for the review and excellent pics. :salute:
Me too, it look's like a lovely slicer :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 12:34:29 PM
Finally, some nice sized tools.

That was always my biggest issue with Gerber...these little tiny tools that were more for show then use.

I might have to add this one to the collection whenever I can get one.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline valvestem125

• You only go this way once.
Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 01:33:38 AM
Spotted an Octane at Cabelas today, came here to look for a review, and BOOM, here it is.  Well written, great pics & good info.

Makes me want to return and pick one up.  Thanks. :cheers:

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 08:49:12 PM
Thats MTO for ya.  I think we might have been the first to get some up close pictures of the tool.  Its a great lighweight tool, even if you just get it for the clamshell opener.

us Offline valvestem125

• You only go this way once.
Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 05:28:04 PM
I went back to Cabelas yesterday and grabbed the Octane.  I am carrying it today in a Buck "debadged" nylon sheath that Cabelas also had.  One thing cool about the sheath carry is when pulling out the Octane, the pliers are pulled out as well when removing the tool from the sheath.  I like the knife blade design a lot, but not the blade stop so much as mentioned in the review.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 06:02:14 AM
A about the Octane on YouTube mentions "USA quality."  Is the Gerber Octane made in USA?   If not, where.

Thanks.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 02:55:18 AM
A about the Octane on YouTube mentions "USA quality."  Is the Gerber Octane made in USA?   If not, where.

Thanks.

I thought it was made in China... :think:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 08:42:10 PM
99% sure its made in china as well.  I don't know...I'll see if I can find the packaging for it.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 04:56:01 PM
So how's everyone getting along with their Octane's? 
I'm thinking of buying one, as I'm in need of a light edc with a clip to pants carry.
I will be using the pliers quite often throughout the day so the sliding plier head
is a plus.  Thanks.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 12:48:13 AM
Mine sees a fair bit of use and still looks brand new.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 03:30:06 AM
Thanks, I think I'll pick one up.  I have a couple of sideclips which I quite like but
you have break them open anytime you need pliers and knife etc.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: January 23, 2011, 04:51:25 PM
The only thing that worries me a bit is that the plier head doesn't lock when
closed?  I'm afraid I might have the same problem with mine as the other
chap had stated whilst carrying around the head tended to slip into the
partially deployed or fully deployed state?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: January 23, 2011, 06:46:22 PM
The Octane is my favorite non-400 non-600 Gerber. :salute: It is not what I consider to be a "heavy-duty" tool though. More of a competitor to the Skeletool really, due to its construction.

The pliers will slip out while carrying the Octane pocket clipped. :-\ I think it was a bit of an oversight that there is not a locking notch to keep the pliers in the closed position. Although other sliding head Gerbers don't have the "closed" notch either, they have stronger plunger springs, which keep the head from sliding on its own.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #28 on: January 23, 2011, 07:02:27 PM
So it slides out by itself when clipped to pocket?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: January 23, 2011, 07:20:29 PM
It can. :( Which isn't a huge deal if you clip-carry with the tool inside your pocket, because it can't really go anywhere. But if you clip-carry with the tool outside your pocket, and the clip inside - or clipped on a belt - then the head will eventually slide out. :( And once it is slid out fully, the handles flop open, and.... :( :( Not good. :(

Gerber could cure this easily. Either put stiffer springs in the little plungers, or stamp a locking notch at both ends of the slideway:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%