Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Case, Camillus, Remingto comparison pictures to the Vic Solder & Wenger SI

00 Offline 1jump2many

In the thread titled "Bear Cutlery and Why They Matter" Grant posted some very interesting reviews comparing the Case Camper 640045R to the Wenger Standard Issue.  And also a review of the Bear and Son 7445 Scout knife.  I wanted to post some pictures of various Scout knives in comparison to the Vic Alox Soldier and Wenger Standard Issue.  I am a big fan of both the Vic Soldier and Wenger SI too.  I didn't want to step on the early thread so I started this one.  Sorry for the bad pictures but as I've mentioned before, I'm no photographer.

Left Column:  Victorinox Alox Soldier, Camillus Scout Knife, Case Camper 640045R, Case 650045R

Right Column:  Wenger SI, Camillus Demo Knife, Case Camper 6445R, Remington R4 Scout Utility.

Top views of the knives.  The Case Camper 640045R is the model Grant compared to the Wenger SI in his article.  The earlier version, the Case 6445R is directly across on the right column and you can hopefully see that it is thicker.  You will also notice in upcoming pictures that most of the tools of the 6445R are larger than the 640045R.

Can opener shots.  Notice with the exception of the Camillus Demo knife and older Case 6445R, the Camillus, Case and Remington Can Openers are all very similar.  I read someplace in the past that Case actually sub contracted out some of their tools from Camillus for their Camper pattern.

Here is a comparison shot of the awls of the various tools.  The most aggressive looking awl is on the early Case Camper 6445R.  The Remington model doesn't have an awl.

Side by side comparison shot of the Wenger SI, Victorinox Alox Soldier and Camillus Demo Knife.

Side by side comparison shot of the Case Camper 640045R, the Case Camper 650045R (pliers), and the Remington R4 Scout Utility.

I know this isn't much of a review but I just wanted to add some pictures for comparison.
[

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Excellent comparisons there, thank you  :tu:

I really like that demo knife - was it produced in any great number?
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

00 Offline 1jump2many

Excellent comparisons there, thank you  :tu:

Yes, it used to be a Military issue item for many years.  Although I don't know when they stopped issuing it.  I have noticed a lot of discussion in the past about Soldiers and Marines carrying them during Vietnam.  

This link is probably the best information I've ever seen on the Internet about the Demo Knife.  http://www.donrearic.com/demoknife1.htm
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 01:10:37 AM by 1jump2many »
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
I have head varying accounts of the quality of the old Camillus Demo knives- have you got any comments to add on that front?  Pictures are great btw!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Excellent comparisons there, thank you  :tu:

Unfortunately, it was; I have one, myself.  The requirements led to the knife being produced entirely of the same stainless steel - fine for the blade and tools, not so much for the backsprings; they're nail breakers and too hard for springs... which leads to early breaking from typical opening/closing and use. :/

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Excellent comparisons there, thank you  :tu:

Yes, it used to be a Military issue item for many years.  Although I don't know when they stopped issuing it.  I have noticed a lot of discussion in the past about Soldiers and Marines carrying them during Vietnam.  

This link is probably the best information I've ever seen on the Internet about the Demo Knife.  http://www.donrearic.com/demoknife1.htm
I know the only time I have seen one in person was at the Air force Museum in the Vietnam area

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Great comparison pics 1Jump :cheers: I like that type of knife very well and need to get a few older examples of them :tu:

00 Offline 1jump2many

I have head varying accounts of the quality of the old Camillus Demo knives- have you got any comments to add on that front?  Pictures are great btw!  :D

Def

I only have the two of them.  The US scaled one is stamped 2004.  Camillus filed for bankruptcy in 2007 and I'm not sure if they made the Demo knife right up until they closed.  The other model I have is USN scaled and it's stamped 1996.  They are both in new condition and seem to be identical.  The link I posted in the answer to nuphoria states that at one time they were made by more than just Camillus and that could be the reason for difference in quality.  Here is a quote by Ken Cook from that web link:

"The list of makers includes but is not limited to: Stevens, Kingston, Ulster, Imperial, Western, Case, Queen and Camillus. I’ve personally seen a few examples from Ulster and Imperial, but for my money, just as I firmly insist that the Victorinox is the only “real deal” Swiss Army Knife, the Camillus is the undisputed “real deal” Demo Knife and always will be. (Apologies to all of you poor misguided Wenger fans.)"

That is all I really know about them.  I have noticed the prices of them on eBay seem to have gone up though.  I bought the US scaled one at a local gun store a few years ago.  The USN one I bought on eBay and it was a lot cheaper than what I am seeing for a new one now.  I need to get some better lighting for pictures.  I also kick myself for selling my digital SLR last year. :think:

Great comparison pics 1Jump :cheers: I like that type of knife very well and need to get a few older examples of them :tu:

Thanks Poncho65.  I started collecting some Scout/Camper pattern knives several years ago but they all seem to be out of production and getting them in new condition became too expensive for me.  So I started to concentrate more on SAK's and now their prices have become crazy expensive as of late.  So now I'm concentrating more on MT's.  I was excited when I saw the article Grant posted about the Bear and Son Scout knife.  I should be getting a Rosewood scaled one via UPS tomorrow.   :ahhh
[

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Damn there's some bloody fine knives there mate :drool:

And excellent comparison's too! :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
I am really digging that Remington Scout Utility model.  :drool:  :tu:

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Nice comparison shots there 1j2m.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
<---likes comparison photos.

Good job!  :salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

00 Offline 1jump2many

Grant got me interested in the Bear and Son Scout knife and so today I received a Bear MGC BC245R Scout knife with Rosewood scales.  I have a soft spot for these Scout/Camper pattern knives.  I wish I had waited for it to arrive to add to the comparison photos.  The Rosewood is really nice looking.  As for the tools they share a very close similarity to the Case Camper 640045R & Camillus Scout Knife.  Nice knives though.  It's nice to see a company still making the full size Scout/Camper knife.  Case only makes the Jr. Scout which is much smaller than their Camper knives they no longer make. 

Save the Bales....................... :rofl:
[

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
1jump2many,

Nice report on those......I'm a big Scout/Camper fan as well. I jumped in as Camillus was closing up and bought as many Camillus and Remington Scouts as I could while the prices were still good.

Anyway, if you are interested in the Demo's, Ontario is currently making them. Not sure if they are using the old tooling from Camillus or not but they are a exact version of the original.

Also, if you haven't got any Scouts yet from Bulldog or Weidmannsheil.....get some. They are sweet. I picked up a few a while back and they are excellent.

....click for larger pics!

And Rough Rider has in their line-up a excellent homage to the earlier Case 45R pattern, these are extremely good Scouts for the money.............

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

00 Offline 1jump2many

2xTap,

Thanks for the heads up on Ontario, Bulldog and Weidmannsheil info.  :tu:    I will definitely look into them.  I have seen the Rough Riders around but wasn't sure how well they were.  I will have to pick one of them up too.  Thanks again for the info, I love Camper/Scout patterns. 
[

00 Offline 1jump2many

2xTap,

I got a Bulldog Scout Knife and a Rough Rider Scout Knife in the mail today.  I should be getting a Weidmannsheil in the next day or two.  I really like the Bulldog, the blade opener is a nice touch too.  The Rough Rider is pretty decent for a Scout knife that inexpensive.  I would definitely recommend one to someone that wanted a Scout knife and didn't want to pay a lot of money.  

I've since read that Weidmannsheil actually went out of business in 1991 and Bulldog bought out their name.  Bulldog is owned by Parker's but the knives are made in Solingen, Germany.  I liked the Bulldog so much I ordered a second one.  I haven't found any Ontario Demo Knives though.  If you know of a link please post it.  Thanks again for the heads up.   :tu:

« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 04:44:14 AM by 1jump2many »
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
I bet a brief description and a bunch of pics would make a nice follow up article on SOSAKOnline next month!   :pok:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline 1jump2many

Grant,

I'll see what I can do, I don't know if I am qualified to do an article on SOSAKOnline.  In light of the fact that I just got them, I'm still researching some information on them and "getting to know them".  :D   I'll wait for the second Bulldog to come in though, for sure.  I'm also thinking of doing a YouTube video on my little Scout/Camper collection.  At least on the Bulldog and Weidmannsheil's because I haven't found anything on YouTube on either of them.
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD