Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

diamond files-how are they made?

gav · 15 · 2699

Offline gav

diamond files-how are they made?
on: February 04, 2010, 09:55:43 PM
how are the diamond coated files on the wave and charge series manafactured?what keeps the diamond coat on?reason i ask is because i used a file on a brand new '09 wave to clean up a well used ten year old supertool.filing down little burrs and nicks and the like.i didnt use excessive force on it and when i turned the file over the diamond coating was gone save for a tiny bit at the tip and opposite end.pictures are no good because it shows up looking normal because of the gold like colour running through it.run your finger along it and its smooth.has this happened to anyone else and would it be covered under warranty?my supertool ate my wave,literaly.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: diamond files-how are they made?
Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 10:02:48 PM
I'd be amazed if they went that easily.  :think:  You sure they have gone and not just "scrubbed in" a bit?  I really beat on mine and they are still there.
I'm back!!

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 10:13:10 PM
Diamond powder is sprinkled on the surface, then the whole thing is electroplated with nickel to hold everything in place. If you use too much pressure while filing you can knock the powder loose and they fall off.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 11:08:54 PM
Bad luck gav :-\ I am sure warranty would take care of it though :tu: Shoot LM an email and make sure but I am almost for sure it will b :cheers:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 11:18:01 PM
Liek jzmtl says - it can happen and I've seen a few "bald" diamond files, but it shouldn't wear down that easily gav. I'd certainly try the warranty of it were me I think.
I used to come here a lot.

Offline joebw

Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 12:37:03 AM
Hi All,

Actually not an electroplated coating.  Fine diamond powder is mixed into and electroless (chemical process, not electrochemical) and kept in suspension by constant agitation while the file blade is put into this solution.  The file then goes through a heat treatment afterwards to raise the hardness of the nickel plating to a high 50's to low 60's Rockwell level.

If you really "wiped" the coating off, I'd return it for replacement.

Best - Joe

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 12:39:18 AM
I've worn the coating off of every LM file I've ever used within the first couple uses.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 12:42:30 AM
I've worn the coating off of every LM file I've ever used within the first couple uses.

Wow.  I have a file here that must be 3 years old that I have re-profiled countless blades and other tasks with and it's still going strong with a worn, but certainly not ruined coating.

I'm back!!

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 01:01:32 AM
Yeah, I have never had one survive more than a couple uses.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 01:08:18 AM
That is truly odd! I use the for loads of things and have found them to be resilient. What were you using them for?

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 04:00:07 AM
I have never used the diamong file on my Ttiand the coating has slowly disappeared. On my older and retired tools, the coating seems to be of a much higher quality. 

Offline ratslash7

Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 04:03:04 PM
I have 3 LMs with diamond files. The most used one is my Original Wave and the coating is a little worn but still there and works fine for the kind of honing it was designed for. This file has seen a lot of use.

I have a couple of DMT diamond hones that lost all their coating with very little use and another DMT diamond hone that will take all I can throw at it and still seems as abrasive as the day I bought it.

Not sure I'm really adding any helpful info here... I guess quality can vary on diamond hones... I'd send it back. It should last longer than the cross cut side.
A

Offline gav

Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 09:41:47 PM
thanks for the feedback and advice guys.i brought it back to the shop i bought it from and he was not atall impressed with it.its gone back to leatherman.the old tools are best.

Offline trickknife

• Deputy Dog
Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 06:40:20 AM
Hi All,

Actually not an electroplated coating.  Fine diamond powder is mixed into and electroless (chemical process, not electrochemical) and kept in suspension by constant agitation while the file blade is put into this solution.  The file then goes through a heat treatment afterwards to raise the hardness of the nickel plating to a high 50's to low 60's Rockwell level.

Best - Joe

Wow!  You are smart.  can you do my taxes for me? ::)
-

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 12:37:34 PM
Hi All,

Best - Joe

Wow!  You are smart.  can you do my taxes for me? ::)

Teehee. Joe is our resident metallurgist. I just pretend to understand his technical explanations - it makes me look smarter :D

Joe also has the biggest Leatherman collection that I've heard of, so when it comes to the technical ins and outs of Leatherman tools, Joe generally knows what's what! :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD