Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New reviews, new section

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
New reviews, new section
on: June 27, 2007, 02:32:26 PM
I just wanted to give folks a heads up that there are a few new reviews on the main site, and a new section.  Against my will, I opened up a knife review section- I was outvoted by a few prominent members and so I present the CRKT Edgie as our first Knife Review:

http://multitool.org/content/view/105/76/

In addition, Dave has posted his reviews of the CRKT Zilla tool and the SureFire Delta.

CRKT:

http://multitool.org/content/view/103/68/

SureFire:

http://multitool.org/content/view/104/68/

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: New reviews, new section
Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 11:20:13 PM
I for one won,t be buying or using a surefire, would you use a tool to undo a rusted on bolt that had a good few inches of cold steel ready to bite you ???

do the people at surefire live in the real world?

A good idea in theory but not for me.

good review though :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 12:12:20 AM
Yes the wrench is very awkward! Looks to be made primarily for righties (the locking mechanism would interfere it was on the left), once your insert the nut the only way to loosen one is to pull torwards you, and if it's a large nut you don't have any leverage? Where is that suppose to come from? Definatly not from me grabbing the blade!

Remember my 3 weeks on CS comment...still havn't gotten that screw, I had to buy one at the hardware store. I don't know if I would ever use SF CS for my "life depended on it" situation. Def and I got into a conversation about it yesterday, it's really just fancy stuff in a big package, that in essence doesn't cut better than my SAK....I know I know...blade geometry. But you get what I mean.

David

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 12:16:14 AM
Well it's not just that... $400 for a multi with less tools than a Charge seems a bit hefty to me...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline AJ

Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 12:37:17 AM
yeah, but it's a surefire!  ::)
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 01:10:06 AM
Yup, it sure is... it's the brightest multitool out there without a light.... which is good cause the guys who spend $400+ on that thing can't be too bright themselves!

Def

Offline AJ

Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 01:11:53 AM
Yup, it sure is... it's the brightest multitool out there without a light.... which is good cause the guys who spend $400+ on that thing can't be too bright themselves!

Def

:D
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 03:31:10 AM
Bummer about the CRKT tools being so rust prone.   :-\  I realize it is only surface rust, which doesn't affect the strength of the tool, but I still don't like it. Corrosion sucks, especially if it makes me embarrassed to show off my new tools.  :(
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 06:02:13 PM
With the Zilla I recommend keeping it in the sheath, with the Guppie, keep it on it's carabiner rather than clipped. With all the humidity and the amount I sweat sometimes, it just harbors a great enviroment for rust.

David

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 06:31:25 PM
Great review on the Zilla...Good,it's all I need,just as I had my mind set on the Freestyle,along comes something just as equally fitting my needs :-\ How about coming back in a few weeks with a follow up on the Zilla?
I

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 01:43:28 PM
Anything you like, Zilla is probably still going to be the same, too much tool with too little versatility. But for the sake of it, sure I will post back later to let you all know.

David

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 06:48:35 PM
Thanks ! Sometimes, a little time and usage changes my intial perceptions about many things..I've been down that road often!
I

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 01, 2007, 07:48:23 AM
Against my will, I opened up a knife review section

A question.

The first two knives reviewed are both unusual, intriguing designs that present something very different from the mainstream market. Is this the style of knives you are seeking to review? I have several knife reviews in various states of completion and would like to submit them as they conclude but most are more in line with the typical folding knife and do not bring as many unusual design features to the table as the aforementioned two.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: July 01, 2007, 01:52:51 PM
Well, since this is a multitool site, and since there are already numerous knife sites out there, I was going to try and limit the knife review section to those offerings from companies that also offer tools, but I've kind of given up on that notion as well.  If you have a review and you want to submit it, by all means do so and we'll post it.

Def

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #14 on: July 01, 2007, 05:12:27 PM
I agree, the stuff we are going to have in the knife section is the stuff that's not...run of the mill...

David

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 01:43:14 AM
I think it just leaves the idea for other things open.  The Ontario Knives SPAX is a good example- is it a knife?  Is it an axe?  Is it a multitool?  If a multitool isn't defined by pliers then just about anything that serves multiple purposes could fit.  Having a Knife section is about reviewing knives from a tool user's perspective as opposed to fending off attacking ninjas, which is how many of them are portrayed on other forums.  I have had the "benefit" of experiencing knife combat first hand, and it's not something I want to talk about on a regular basis.  It's also not what I want to think about every time I pick up a knife.  And, I don't often feel the need to dice manila hemp rope hundreds of times or shave my arm hair.  I agreed to a Knife section because it was promised to me that we would do it our own way, and not copy the thousands of other knife reviews out there.

So far, we've got a pretty good start. 

Def

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #16 on: July 02, 2007, 06:54:19 AM
Having a Knife section is about reviewing knives from a tool user's perspective as opposed to fending off attacking ninjas, which is how many of them are portrayed on other forums.

Crap... I was going to go to the meat market and get a bunch of meat, and then to Walmart to buy some jean jackets for my knife reviews...  ;)  Can I still do that?
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline AJ

Reply #17 on: July 02, 2007, 07:06:05 AM
Having a Knife section is about reviewing knives from a tool user's perspective as opposed to fending off attacking ninjas, which is how many of them are portrayed on other forums.

Crap... I was going to go to the meat market and get a bunch of meat, and then to Walmart to buy some jean jackets for my knife reviews...  ;)  Can I still do that?

yeah, you can still do that. Just don't let us know about it.  :D ;)
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: July 02, 2007, 02:30:51 PM
Go for it- have a blast, but if you want us to publish it, make certain you are wearing your black pajamas and balaclava...

Def

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 06:37:29 PM
Got some more additions up, not much on time here but had a little help. My darn hand is still killing me (not going away anytime soon) but they had to go up, been on paper but not on here yet, so here they are:

CRKT Guppie http://multitool.org/content/view/114/68/

Leatherman h502 Knife http://multitool.org/content/view/115/76/

More to come, always more to come.

David

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 09:06:05 PM
Awesome reviews Dave!

Def

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #21 on: July 09, 2007, 10:53:18 PM
Always appreciate the compliment, writing the reviews isn't always the problem. It's more like findind the time.
Cause life is.... :ahhh

David

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: July 09, 2007, 11:58:53 PM
I know the feeling- how sturdy is the jaws on the Guppie?  I know you said light duty, but adjustable wrenches are usually for medium to heavy use.

Def

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #23 on: July 10, 2007, 12:58:35 AM
Probably stronger than what I have put them through, but due to the small nature of the tool, I get the same feeling I do with the SF Delta, nice idea but no leverage to perform the job right.

David

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: July 10, 2007, 01:08:14 AM
Could you jam something in the carabiner to get extra leverage on it, or does that seem like it would damage it?

Def

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #25 on: July 10, 2007, 02:38:49 AM
Might work, but given how sucky the gate is, I wouldnt trust it. For the price of a broken Guppie you could buy a darn good crescent wrench!

David

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: July 10, 2007, 04:21:07 AM
I bet that would look pretty good dressed in a nice kydex rig...

Oh Errrrrrriiic! hehehehe

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: July 10, 2007, 02:05:40 PM
Great reviews Dave. Your comments pretty much confirm a suspicion I've had since first seeing pictures of the Guppie months ago. Clever adjustable wrench tool, but too short overall to offer proper leverage on a nut or bolt, therefore extremely limited in usefullness.

That being said, I'm still hoping to get one of my own some day.  ::)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: July 10, 2007, 03:17:42 PM
Of course you are!

And so are the rest of us mindless followers of something new and shiny!  :ahhh

Def

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #29 on: July 10, 2007, 04:16:29 PM
I think you guys need to talk about the Guppie more... I still don't want one :)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%