Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New for 1992

J-sews · 94 · 48512

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
New for 1992
on: February 07, 2010, 04:57:45 AM

Experience the Multi-Plier Effect!

Gerber introduces the easy solution to every "toolbox" job with the new Gerber Multi-Plier! It's 13 tools in one, all
made of super tough stainless steel. The Gerber Multi-Plier features a (patent pending) slide-out plier head that
quickly locks into place with just the "flick of a wrist!" Available with either a rugged ballistic cloth belt sheath or
innovative leather belt sheath featuring a belt/backpack clip. Proudly made in the U.S.A.....only from Gerber!

Watch out Leatherman - your days of multitool domination are over!  :D :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline valvestem125

• You only go this way once.
Re: New for 1992
Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 05:14:29 AM
I have one of the Gerbers with the metal release buttons and the blunt nose pliers.  It's a tough tool, I've used it to cut through barb wire before.  One of the local EMT's had one at an accident scene I attended, and when he flicked the pliers out, I knew I would have to have one.

I'd date the one I have right around late 1991 or so, maybe earlier, as I left that job that I bought it for in June 1992.

Maybe there is a date code on the piece?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 05:16:38 AM
I have one of the Gerbers with the metal release buttons and the blunt nose pliers.  It's a tough tool, I've used it to cut through barb wire before.  One of the local EMT's had one at an accident scene I attended, and when he flicked the pliers out, I knew I would have to have one.

I'd date the one I have right around late 1991 or so, maybe earlier, as I left that job that I bought it for in June 1992.

Maybe there is a date code on the piece?

No date codes on the Gerber tools unfortunately. :(  Do you still have yours?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 05:52:35 AM
Cool pics Bob. :tu: I have to say that I really like my Mulitplier. I would go so far as to say that it's my favorite Gerber mulittool.
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 06:01:57 AM
Nice one Prime! :tu:

Hmmmm, yours looks to be the final variation before Gerber brought out the Multi-Lock (later called the 600) in the late 1990's. And yet their are about four "generations" between the one in my picture and the one in yours. :think:

Jeez, Gerber must have made changes in the design about every other year there for awhile. :P

us Offline stack

Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 06:37:06 AM
Wow, I did not see that flier for a long time. :o  I might still have that one around .  Heres mine                                                            

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 12:09:42 PM
Those early Gerbers with the scissors stand out don't they  :D :D.
One day  ::) :D :D :D.

Nice piece(s) Bob  :tu: :tu:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 12:10:30 PM
Yeah I've a soft spot for those as well :)

Shouldn't of sold my one really ::)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 02:26:35 PM
I happen to have one with the scissors. It is an odd one though, as it seems to have been half thought out, with the nail nicks all messed up etc. It also has "First Production Run" stamped on the handles. It is the only one that I have with scissors though.

Here is a group shot of all the Gerbers that I have with the old style locking mechanism. Note that a Carolina and Winchester tools are included as they both have the same locking style. Not sure if Gerber made them or just licensed it out, but I have a suspicion that Gerber made them and just stamped their customer's name on the tools. I can be wrong though.

Here, I played with the lighting to highlight the wording. Not that great of a photograph though.

I quickly moved to a black background due to the results from above to show the details on the back of the handles.

Here we have the First Edition Run.

And the later model (Second in the first group shot).

« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 02:28:46 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 04:20:24 PM
Good pics guys! :tu:

Stack, your old one there is a 4th generation (still has screws on the sliders, middle era plier head, but round nut on the blade pivot) :)

Chako, your second one there is 5th generation like Prime77's. They went to solid post sliders and updated the plier head. It was made in either blunt or needlenose. (the first needlenose multi-plier offered from Gerber)  :)

The generation after that became the 600

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 05:01:48 PM
I wish I knew more about Gerber MTs.

Thanks for the info Bob.  :salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline valvestem125

• You only go this way once.
Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 02:20:45 PM
"No date codes on the Gerber tools unfortunately.   Do you still have yours?"

Yes, I still have it.

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 08:15:42 PM
Hmmm... mine was one of the earliest ones as well. But it had no scissors, and instead it had a sort of thick X-acto blade.

Wish I still had it. Excellent tool. It now resides somewhere on the bottom of Cruz Bay.

Any clue when that model came out?
G

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 03:06:12 AM
Hmmm... mine was one of the earliest ones as well. But it had no scissors, and instead it had a sort of thick X-acto blade.

Wish I still had it. Excellent tool. It now resides somewhere on the bottom of Cruz Bay.

Any clue when that model came out?

The X-acto blade was Gerber's idea of an awl. :-\ Near as I can figure, this variation was sold around 1995.

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 03:46:05 AM
If I suggested that I got mine around 92 or maybe 93 would that sound impossible?

G

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 03:53:47 AM
If I suggested that I got mine around 92 or maybe 93 would that sound impossible?

Not at all. Actually, that helps. :salute: The first version Multi-Plier (first post in this thread) was sold in 1992. The second version, with no scissors and a bead-blast finish, came out shortly thereafter. I was guessing 1995, but 1993 seems reasonable. :)

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 04:11:36 AM
I am fairly certain of that then.. I can remember opening some of my first legal beers with it. I turned 21 in 03.

Of course my memory of those days is rather hazy...
G

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 03:49:14 AM
I am fairly certain of that then.. I can remember opening some of my first legal beers with it. I turned 21 in 03.

Of course my memory of those days is rather hazy...

I can only imagine why.... ::) :D

us Offline stack

Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 03:37:48 AM
J-sews, Thanks for your info. This tread will probably spark a new interest in gerber tools. :P I was going to trade these but now I dont think so. :)  Maybe buy some new ones ???

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 10:58:39 PM
Great thread Bob :cheers: It's always neat to see stuff like that :tu: Those were  good days for Gerber back then :)

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 10, 2010, 11:17:28 PM
dang I had that exact same tool and that flier in the early 90s, good find! :tu:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 11:19:26 PM by jim guy »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 10:42:18 AM
Being on a Multi-Plier kick ATM I went a searching for some info on the forum.  It's likely no big surprise that it was Bob who had already come up with the goods. :D  I remember reading this thread when it was new and actually thought I'd already posted on it, but it seems I didn't. :think:  So I'll offer a very belated: thanks for the info Bob. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 06:30:27 PM
Cheers Gareth! :cheers:

Coincidentally, I just happen to be doing a little spit and polish on an old Multi-Plier this morning. :) The tool itself doesn't appear to have been used much, but someone ran her hard and put her away wet. :( There was rust blobs and sand on all the internal surfaces. No way to clean that up from the outside, so a complete tear down was the first order of business.

(of course, this not being my first multitool dissection, I made sure to snap a picture of the blade arrangement in both handles before taking it apart) :D

A look inside the handle channels. Plenty of rust and sand, the evil twin demons of multitools everywhere. :twak:

It was a bit of a struggle overcoming the 20-year old locktite on all the screws, but I finally got it apart! :cheers:

A close-up of this earliest style Gerber plier head, complete with massive pivot nut. Unfortunately I did not have a pin spanner wrench the right size, or I would have taken it apart too.

Grant's favorite Multi-Plier implement of all, the massively oversize lanyard attachment :D

After lots of elbow grease, along with a generous helping of mini-wire-wheel-and-Dremel, then a touch of Rem Oil, this old girl is (almost) as good as new. :multi:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: February 19, 2012, 06:48:09 PM
Great pics mate. :cheers:  What are those old scissor like?  Do they perhaps pre-date the Fiskars buy out of Gerber?

Oddly enough I was just having a look at my PM600 and wishing they'd given me anything other than one of those over-sized lanyard attachments.  ::)  I do wish I'd been into MT's when Gerber were doing their 'design your own' service. :dd:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: February 19, 2012, 06:57:17 PM
Those first scissors are perhaps the worst ones ever found on a multitool Gareth :D  I'm not sure when Fiskars acquired Gerber. :think:  I do know that after this first Multi-Plier, Gerber waited many years (until the MP600 Pro Scout model came out around 2000) before offering scissors on a multitool again.  :-\

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: February 19, 2012, 07:03:51 PM
So, as a user, you'd not recommend them eh? :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: February 19, 2012, 07:08:19 PM
So, as a user, you'd not recommend them eh? :D

I'd not indeed :D

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #27 on: February 20, 2012, 01:49:11 PM
Really enjoyed those photos Bob  8) 8) 8) 8). Ya gotta love digital cameras, very handy for reassembly purposes  ::) :D :D :D.
Bob do you heat fasteners on MTs to help weaken the loctite's hold before cracking them open :think: :think:.
Lanyard attachment or tool spacer  :think: :think: :D :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #28 on: February 21, 2012, 02:52:08 AM
Really enjoyed those photos Bob  8) 8) 8) 8). Ya gotta love digital cameras, very handy for reassembly purposes  ::) :D :D :D.

I cam just imagine Bob ten years ago having to wait a week for the photos to develop so he could re assemble a tool!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: February 22, 2012, 02:22:57 AM

I cam just imagine Bob ten years ago having to wait a week for the photos to develop so he could re assemble a tool!  :D

Def

Ten years ago (before my early alzheimers set in) I didn't need the photos :P :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%