Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New for 1992

J-sews · 94 · 48523

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: New for 1992
Reply #60 on: September 25, 2014, 06:31:31 PM
Looks like a 4th generation Multi-Plier (button-head screws on plier sliding mechanism, serrated blade instead of awl, round nut tool pivot). Not sure about the plier head - can't tell if it was the new or old style introduced in the 5th generation. Was there a 4.5 generation version with an updated plier head and without the rivet plier sliding mechanism?

Looks like a version 4 Mr Pinchy to me also (as it has Pat # 5212844 then it is the later 4.1 variant).  The pliers were significantly beefier in version 5.  I haven't ever noticed a version 4.5 Mr Pinchy (but that doesn't mean Gerber didn't make any, or that somebody didn't construct their own)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 06:33:04 PM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #61 on: November 12, 2014, 04:17:34 PM
Found this old girl Monday. A little work with a toothbrush and dish soap, a little wire wool, and a shot of WD-40, and she looks almost like new. Very similar to the model I gifted to a friend several years ago.
Any ideas as to the production date and unofficial "series x, y, z" on this?
photo 1.JPG
* photo 1.JPG (Filesize: 404.3 KB)
photo 2.JPG
* photo 2.JPG (Filesize: 464.06 KB)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 04:27:32 PM by neillcurrie »

00 Offline symphonyincminor

Reply #62 on: November 13, 2014, 03:54:09 PM
That's a 4th generation Multi-Plier. Nice clean example, too!

(button head screws on sliding mechanism, round nut pivot screws, previous generation blunt nose plier head)

Late 90's, maybe? I wish Gerber would have stamped production dates like Leatherman does....

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #63 on: November 13, 2014, 04:06:59 PM
Found this old girl Monday. A little work with a toothbrush and dish soap, a little wire wool, and a shot of WD-40, and she looks almost like new. Very similar to the model I gifted to a friend several years ago.

You dirty, dirty, dirty boy...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline neillcurrie

Reply #64 on: November 13, 2014, 05:03:15 PM

I wish I knew what you are so smuttily referring to :o

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #65 on: November 13, 2014, 05:14:42 PM

I wish I knew what you are so smuttily referring to :o

Well, it's just my filthy mind. I was picturing an old girl being put through all that. A real girl...
 :facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline dipti

Reply #66 on: April 21, 2015, 08:46:14 AM
Great one for sure will make it mine.
My never ending love for tomahawks

pl Offline jakobym

Reply #67 on: May 16, 2015, 08:20:11 PM
I just bought used Mr Pinchy, 2nd generation. It probably had not seen any lubrication since early 90's.
What size of hex driver should I get to unscrew it?
Too much punctuation might reveal problems.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #68 on: May 17, 2015, 12:13:04 AM
I just bought used Mr Pinchy, 2nd generation. It probably had not seen any lubrication since early 90's.
What size of hex driver should I get to unscrew it?
(Image removed from quote.)
If needed use the hex driver that fits. Otherwise just apply the oil on the washers from the end and open / close the tools to work it in.

us Offline neillcurrie

Reply #69 on: May 17, 2015, 02:55:23 AM
It's a weird American size,  not metric. 2 sizes required, one for the tools, the other for the plier head mechanism.

pl Offline jakobym

Reply #70 on: May 17, 2015, 11:33:41 AM
It's a weird American size,  not metric.
That's why I'm asking. It's not easy thing to find American-size hex drivers right in the middle of Europe.

Cleaning and lubrication were the first things I did after opening the package. It looks like the only tool used, was a plain edge blade.  On the other tools BO looks untouched.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 11:41:56 AM by jakobym »

pl Offline jakobym

Reply #71 on: May 17, 2015, 10:46:54 PM
Okay, one more question: is it normal for Mr Pinchy's wire cutters to grind on each other?
Otherwise, how can I stop that?

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #72 on: May 17, 2015, 10:59:28 PM
Okay, one more question: is it normal for Mr Pinchy's wire cutters to grind on each other?

What do you mean exactly? They have to touch when closing to be functional as a wire cutter. That is unless it is a anvil style wire cutter which the Mr. Pinchy is not. Is it causing the pliers to be hard to open?
I'm the milk man!

pl Offline jakobym

Reply #73 on: May 17, 2015, 11:08:35 PM
I know, I know.  I just thought that the friction is too strong, that the ends of the pliers don't meet each other (or maybe I'm too used to Leatherman's needlenose pliers). The gap is not large, maybe not even half a milimeter. It just is.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 11:10:30 PM by jakobym »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #74 on: May 18, 2015, 04:17:13 AM

I'm not completely certain, but I think on that model the plier head tension is adjustable with a pin spanner.

You could always file or dremel the cutters to get the clearance.

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #75 on: May 18, 2015, 05:13:05 AM
I'm not completely certain, but I think on that model the plier head tension is adjustable with a pin spanner.
It is on the one in the photo, so you could pull it apart, clean and lubricate the pivot, and clean up burrs (if any) on the inside (cutting edge) of the wire cutters while you've got it apart.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #76 on: May 19, 2015, 01:14:46 AM
It is on the one in the photo, so you could pull it apart, clean and lubricate the pivot, and clean up burrs (if any) on the inside (cutting edge) of the wire cutters while you've got it apart.

What he said. :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline survivaledge

Reply #77 on: October 11, 2015, 11:28:49 PM
Hi I am new to the posting and a few Gerber questions
In a couple of posts reference is made to early Gerber  generations (1st-4th etc)
are there articles and information on the site giving details and history( differences etc)
Thanks

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #78 on: October 12, 2015, 07:35:07 AM
Hi I am new to the posting and a few Gerber questions
In a couple of posts reference is made to early Gerber  generations (1st-4th etc)
are there articles and information on the site giving details and history( differences etc)
Thanks
Firstly welcome to MTo.   :cheers:

Lots of useful info here, try out the Search button up the top left of the screen (near the HOME button), and if that doesn't get you what you want, just ask.  There are quite a few Gerber enthusiasts on this forum (as well as other brands).

Try these as a primer to get you going on the early "Mr Pinchies" (Multi-Pliers):

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,2792.0.html

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,48158.msg928733.html#msg928733

The MPT was another early multitool made by Gerber.
http://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=MPT
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 07:41:01 AM by gregozedobe »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #79 on: October 21, 2015, 01:45:45 PM
Welcome to the forum survivaledge.  :cheers:

Offline Joshua Smith

• New User
Reply #80 on: December 17, 2015, 05:02:29 PM
I happen to have one with the scissors. It is an odd one though, as it seems to have been half thought out, with the nail nicks all messed up etc. It also has "First Production Run" stamped on the handles. It is the only one that I have with scissors though.

Here is a group shot of all the Gerbers that I have with the old style locking mechanism. Note that a Carolina and Winchester tools are included as they both have the same locking style. Not sure if Gerber made them or just licensed it out, but I have a suspicion that Gerber made them and just stamped their customer's name on the tools. I can be wrong though.

Here, I played with the lighting to highlight the wording. Not that great of a photograph though.

I quickly moved to a black background due to the results from above to show the details on the back of the handles.

Here we have the First Edition Run.

And the later model (Second in the first group shot).
I think I have the second one can u help me out

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Offline Joshua Smith

• New User
Reply #81 on: December 17, 2015, 05:02:53 PM
I happen to have one with the scissors. It is an odd one though, as it seems to have been half thought out, with the nail nicks all messed up etc. It also has "First Production Run" stamped on the handles. It is the only one that I have with scissors though.

Here is a group shot of all the Gerbers that I have with the old style locking mechanism. Note that a Carolina and Winchester tools are included as they both have the same locking style. Not sure if Gerber made them or just licensed it out, but I have a suspicion that Gerber made them and just stamped their customer's name on the tools. I can be wrong though.

Here, I played with the lighting to highlight the wording. Not that great of a photograph though.

I quickly moved to a black background due to the results from above to show the details on the back of the handles.

Offline Joshua Smith

• New User
Reply #82 on: December 17, 2015, 05:03:18 PM

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #83 on: December 17, 2015, 11:14:29 PM
I think I have the second one can u help me out

Based on your photos it looks to be the same as Chako's second one, which is a version 5 with needle nose pliers.

See this post for more detail on the difference between the various versions:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,48158.msg928733.html#msg928733
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 11:16:49 PM by gregozedobe »

jp Offline hiraboo

Reply #84 on: January 25, 2020, 03:22:42 PM
It may be temporary, but you can download his photo for now.
I make a backup just in case.

Original posted by J-sews;
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,17190.msg325486.html#msg325486

Experience the Multi-Plier Effect!

Gerber introduces the easy solution to every "toolbox" job with the new Gerber Multi-Plier! It's 13 tools in one, all
made of super tough stainless steel. The Gerber Multi-Plier features a (patent pending) slide-out plier head that
quickly locks into place with just the "flick of a wrist!" Available with either a rugged ballistic cloth belt sheath or
innovative leather belt sheath featuring a belt/backpack clip. Proudly made in the U.S.A.....only from Gerber!

Watch out Leatherman - your days of multitool domination are over!  :D :D

ie Online McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #85 on: February 16, 2020, 08:35:35 AM
Good thinking hiraboo, thanks  :like:

Offline 7PsofLife

• New User
Reply #86 on: November 18, 2020, 11:46:30 AM
Hello, I just recently picked up this Multi-plier from a local thrift shop and out of curiosity was trying to figure out the history of it. So I did a little bit of research and I discovered that it was going to be a bit more difficult than first I assumed haha. After I discovered this forum I came up with my best-educated guess that it is a Version 2 but I could also be way off. Any insight on when this guy was made or the Version it's apart of would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance. 
MrPinchy1.jpg
* MrPinchy1.jpg (Filesize: 342.23 KB)
MrPinchy2.jpg
* MrPinchy2.jpg (Filesize: 313.23 KB)
MrPinchy3.jpg
* MrPinchy3.jpg (Filesize: 355.92 KB)
MrPinchy4jpg.jpg
* MrPinchy4jpg.jpg (Filesize: 350.61 KB)

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #87 on: November 18, 2020, 12:59:26 PM
Hello, I just recently picked up this Multi-plier from a local thrift shop and out of curiosity was trying to figure out the history of it. So I did a little bit of research and I discovered that it was going to be a bit more difficult than first I assumed haha. After I discovered this forum I came up with my best-educated guess that it is a Version 2 but I could also be way off. Any insight on when this guy was made or the Version it's apart of would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

Can you take another photo with all the internal tools opened out so you can see each tool ?

I'm wondering whether it has scissors or big awl, how thick the lanyard ring is, and whether the nail nicks line up with the handle cut-outs or not. 

This particular MT is a bit of an oddity in that one handle has two cutouts, while the other handle has only one cut-out. I can't recall ever seeing that combination before, and I have nearly 40 of these very early Mr pinchies.  I guess it might have been a repair job with a replacement handle, but it could also have come from the Gerber factory like that.

Offline 7PsofLife

• New User
Reply #88 on: November 18, 2020, 05:02:15 PM
I hope I captured everything you wanted to check out. If not feel free to point out what I missed and ill post what you need.
Unfortunately, it seems that two of the tools were broken when I bought it but I can't complain for what I picked it up for haha.
20201118_105944.jpg
* 20201118_105944.jpg (Filesize: 240.56 KB)
20201118_110046.jpg
* 20201118_110046.jpg (Filesize: 224.44 KB)
20201118_110111.jpg
* 20201118_110111.jpg (Filesize: 216.38 KB)
20201118_110135.jpg
* 20201118_110135.jpg (Filesize: 246.54 KB)

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #89 on: November 19, 2020, 02:03:42 AM
I hope I captured everything you wanted to check out. If not feel free to point out what I missed and ill post what you need.
Unfortunately, it seems that two of the tools were broken when I bought it but I can't complain for what I picked it up for haha.

Thanks, by my numbering system I'd classify that as a Version 2.0 (patent pending handle stamp), with a note that it seems to have one v1.2 handle (as the nail nick on the serrated knife blade matches the handle cut-out).

I think the broken tools are probably the can opener and the big triangular awl ( I suspect a previous owner was very heavy handed, if not downright abusive).

If you are using the pliers beware the "Pinch" (these truly deserve their reputation as "Mr Pinchy" )

The BO version of these old Mr Pinchies were never very common.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%