Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Show us your Spyderco

donvito · 4781 · 241920

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Show us your Spyderco
Reply #2460 on: February 07, 2018, 11:15:56 PM
As a newish owner of a Dragonfly I can tell you its super.  I have mine in shirt pocket as I type.  I've already opened mail, freed tuna cans from evil shrink wrap, sliced cherrie tomatoes and green onions, and its not even bust a sweat.  Congrats on getting an authentic one. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #2461 on: February 08, 2018, 09:10:26 AM
I cant afford a USA Spyder, how are the Cara full serated hawk or straight blades? Or byrd models? I'm not too familiar with them, but whats a good $20-$25 one on amazon and how do they compare to USA made ones?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 09:23:51 AM by Blackbeard »
BB :B:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #2462 on: February 08, 2018, 11:37:15 AM
i said i dont know crap, japan, vs china,

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #2463 on: February 08, 2018, 01:09:40 PM
As a newish owner of a Dragonfly I can tell you its super.  I have mine in shirt pocket as I type.  I've already opened mail, freed tuna cans from evil shrink wrap, sliced cherrie tomatoes and green onions, and its not even bust a sweat.  Congrats on getting an authentic one.

the DF2 is killer!

a revolutionary design in its time   :cheers:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2464 on: February 08, 2018, 01:16:14 PM
I cant afford a USA Spyder, how are the Cara full serated hawk or straight blades? Or byrd models? I'm not too familiar with them, but whats a good $20-$25 one on amazon and how do they compare to USA made ones?

I have some Byrds, and the Cara Cara 2 FRN (Cost me $20) is to me one of the best value knives in the world today.
It gives you the cutting ability, ergonomics and feel of a true Spyderco on  budget, if you don't mind F&F details and seek performance you won't find anything better than the Byrds at the entry price point  ;)

if you're used to the inexpensive 8Cr13MoV you'll see the Byrds got it spot on, noticeably better than most other Chinese made knives.

I have the Byrd hawkbill and other various inner curved blades. This one is beefy and strong, the steel is extremely easy to touch up and with its shape and grind makes short work of anything fibrous or organic   :ahhh

the G10 of the Crossbill or the FRN of the Byrd Hawkbill still in production is comparable to the standard material that Spyderco uses on their flagship models. QUality stuff, grippy and durable.

The smaller, lighter Byrd hawk has raving reviews but I don't have one, even though I've read lots of good and positive things about it and having other curved Spydercos I am inclined to believe they've made a very good job with that one too.  :salute:

so yes I definitely recommend the Cara Cara for a larger blade to start with (either Plain edge or CE) and if you want a companion blade with very different uses to carry a long a normal, PE knife, the Byrd hawks are up to business and a wise choice  :tu:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2465 on: February 08, 2018, 05:11:37 PM
 :tu:
20180208_152154_crop_1010x1018.jpg
* 20180208_152154_crop_1010x1018.jpg (Filesize: 98.42 KB)

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #2467 on: February 09, 2018, 03:55:18 AM

the DF2 is killer!

(Image removed from quote.)

a revolutionary design in its time   :cheers:

No doubt. All of those other blades, and the DF2 certainly holds its own for what it's designed to do!  :tu:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #2468 on: February 09, 2018, 04:23:57 AM

I have some Byrds, and the Cara Cara 2 FRN (Cost me $20) is to me one of the best value knives in the world today.
It gives you the cutting ability, ergonomics and feel of a true Spyderco on  budget, if you don't mind F&F details and seek performance you won't find anything better than the Byrds at the entry price point  ;)

if you're used to the inexpensive 8Cr13MoV you'll see the Byrds got it spot on, noticeably better than most other Chinese made knives.

I have the Byrd hawkbill and other various inner curved blades. This one is beefy and strong, the steel is extremely easy to touch up and with its shape and grind makes short work of anything fibrous or organic   :ahhh
the G10 of the Crossbill or the FRN of the Byrd Hawkbill still in production is comparable to the standard material that Spyderco uses on their flagship models. QUality stuff, grippy and durable.
The smaller, lighter Byrd hawk has raving reviews but I don't have one, even though I've read lots of good and positive things about it and having other curved Spydercos I am inclined to believe they've made a very good job with that one too.  :salute:
so yes I definitely recommend the Cara Cara for a larger blade to start with (either Plain edge or CE) and if you want a companion blade with very different uses to carry a long a normal, PE knife, the Byrd hawks are up to business and a wise choice  :tu:

considering the meadowlark 2 or possibly an Ontario rat 1 or 2
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 04:28:01 AM by Blackbeard »
BB :B:

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #2469 on: February 09, 2018, 12:56:53 PM
my most inexpensive Spyderco and my first one too,
this one is an affordable model that I'd recommend anyone who likes larger blades.

it's also the smoothest of my 12 Spydie folders by a mile   ;)

Is that the Temperance, Persistence, Resilience or what? I always mix up the names.

Resilience.
It was the one of the Budget models I went with, as I'm fond of larger blades.

A good value blade!  :cheers:

I try not to buy many large folders because they are cumbersome for me to carry, but I really want some just for the fun factor. I think the Resilience is a good place to start within budget offerings.

ca Offline BCNZ

Reply #2470 on: February 10, 2018, 12:26:04 AM
Left handed Military!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2471 on: February 10, 2018, 12:30:55 AM
Left handed Military!

Ohh what a beauty, I want one!!   :drool:   :like:   :gimme:

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2472 on: February 10, 2018, 01:07:45 AM
0209181235b by Poncho 65, on Flickr

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2473 on: February 10, 2018, 11:09:02 AM
Left handed Military!

beautiful knives
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ca Offline BCNZ

Reply #2474 on: February 12, 2018, 12:11:59 AM

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2475 on: February 12, 2018, 02:29:31 AM

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2477 on: February 12, 2018, 02:39:08 AM
Here are some of my Spydercos.
Click on 697.62 for full picture.
GEDC0586.JPG
* GEDC0586.JPG (Filesize: 412.21 KB)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 02:40:38 AM by VICMAN »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2478 on: February 12, 2018, 11:12:21 AM
Click on 697.62 for full picture.

Hey VICMAN, as always you impress me with the variety and size of your collection.  :tu:
Now it's Spydies too!!  :ahhh 

you got all the classics in there   :cheers:
I'm carrying my favorite Spyderco today.  :salute:

My toys:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2479 on: February 12, 2018, 02:25:20 PM

Hey VICMAN, as always you impress me with the variety and size of your collection.  :tu:
Now it's Spydies too!!  :ahhh 

you got all the classics in there   :cheers:
I'm carrying my favorite Spyderco today.  :salute:
Thanks Peacent.
Nice pic!
I was a Spyderco Dealer when their line consisted only of 100%Stainless Steel knives, and roughly 10 models. I was also a Victorinox dealer during the same time.

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2480 on: February 13, 2018, 01:46:02 AM
0212181125c by Poncho 65, on Flickr

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2481 on: February 13, 2018, 01:48:34 PM
My toys:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2482 on: February 14, 2018, 04:09:38 PM
My toys:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2483 on: February 14, 2018, 07:14:53 PM
This is one of my favorite Spydercos, a Bradley-design. In some ways it makes no sense. Light-weight carbon fiber scales over heavy stainless liners. There is nothing light about this knife. Here again, I pulled the clip off this one. Now it feels like a really nice pocket knife, well suited for all sorts of routine tasks or just sitting on a porch making big sticks into smaller sticks.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2484 on: February 14, 2018, 07:39:40 PM

convinced me... :D

[/quote]
Nice pics Peacent!  :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2485 on: February 14, 2018, 07:41:20 PM
This is one of my favorite Spydercos, a Bradley-design. In some ways it makes no sense. Light-weight carbon fiber scales over heavy stainless liners. There is nothing light about this knife.

Good looking design! :like: :tu: :tu:
I think I would like the feel of that one Nix!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2486 on: February 14, 2018, 09:32:42 PM
Good looking design! :like: :tu: :tu:
I think I would like the feel of that one Nix!

Heavy, but feels good in the hand (with the clip removed). Given that you like a Buck 112, I think you'd be happy with this model.

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #2487 on: February 14, 2018, 11:04:00 PM
Thanks to Nix, I am now the proud owner of a wicked looking Manix 2! :woohoo: :woohoo: Thanks Nix! :salute:
DSCN4032.JPG
* DSCN4032.JPG (Filesize: 272.45 KB)
Send In the spartans

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2488 on: February 14, 2018, 11:25:42 PM
The Manix seems like the logical evolution of some of Spyderco's earlier designs. Classic leaf-blade shape. Hope it proves to be useful for ya!   :tu:

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #2489 on: February 14, 2018, 11:47:58 PM
The Manix seems like the logical evolution of some of Spyderco's earlier designs. Classic leaf-blade shape. Hope it proves to be useful for ya!   :tu:

Thanks Nix! I can't get over how lightweight it is. It makes all my other knives feel like bricks of lead! :like:
Send In the spartans

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD