Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

J-B Weld to fasten pocket clip to multitool or pocket knife?

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Has anyone used J-B Weld to "glue" a pocket clip to a multitool or pocket knife?

I am interested in hearing other general comments about this product from people who have used it.

I have seen J-B Weld in the stores but haven't tried it.

Thanks.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
I doubt I would trust it for a pocket clip.  The leverage of a clip would break it off pretty easily.  I doubt even that a spot weld would hold a clip strongly enough.  A mechanical fastener like a screw would be the best choice.  I don't even much care for the molded on clips that come on many entry level tactical type knives. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
How would some of the 2 part epoxies work?
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
My guess would be the same.  I am certain a more skilled physicist or engineer could explain it better, but basically you would be putting the joint under constant pressure when in use, with momentary spikes when putting the clip on or off.  This would act like leverage to pull the clip off and break the glue joint, regardless of the type of glue.

A weld would be stronger, especially if you did a heavy weld and not just a spot weld, and you'd have to go around the three exposed sides of the clip.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
A spot weld would be as strong (if not stronger) than the material the clip is made of as the metal is fused together (using lots of current!) It should be as strong as a mechanical fastening. We had a little demonstration given to us when one of our lecturers spot welded two bit of metal together and then twisted them till something snapped and it wasn't the weld that failed, the metal had just fatigued.

As to using a "glue" i'm with Def on this, probably not the greatest idea.

Roadie
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
I didn't realize the spot weld was that tough.  I certainly wouldn't have guessed it was tougher than the surrounding metal anyway.  I guess you learn something new every day!

Def

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
I was just watching something on tv where they were riveting one stainless object onto another stainless steel object and one of the guys asked why didn't they just weld it.  The explanation was that heat from welding would change the stainless steels' properties and could potentially reduce corrosion resistance.  I imagine this would apply to a multi-tool as well.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
I suppose if you are heating it enough to melt it then you likely would be heating it enough to alter the heat treatment. 

Your only other option in that case would be to use duct tape!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%