Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Shooters Tool

CQC-7 · 51 · 4774

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Shooters Tool
on: July 04, 2007, 05:45:05 AM
I do not know how many of yall are shooters but I think that I have a good idea.  I was at the range today and as always I had my Spirit with me.  I used it for one thing, opening the package that contained a new set of scope rings for my rifle.  It made me think about a Multitool built with the gun owner and avid shooter in mind.  Such a tool would have all the standard implements with the addition of some popular hex bits and a Pin Punch for guys like me to take to the range to make minor ajustments without lugging around a full assortment of tools.  Another cool thing would be to add a telescoping cleaning rod like a colapsible antenna that would unscrew from the tool to do some emergency field cleaning if the need arises or to unstick a stubborn case from the chamber for a .22 pistol if the need exists.  Any thoughts on this? 

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Re: Shooters Tool
Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 05:57:44 AM
 I agree with you 100%..some of the major gun makers offer multis..Beretta for one,but from what little I've seen,it doesn't have near the capabilities you're looking for.Somebody like Brownells ought to come out with a range/field multi..I think the market is there.
I

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 06:07:25 AM
Who makes the Beretta tools?
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 05:08:49 PM
Beretta Shotgun tool:

Beretta Pistol tool:

In case anyone was wondering....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 06:44:38 PM
A Google search doesn't turn up much beyond the Beretta,and a one piece specialized tool for the AR-15/M-16 family. Someone is missing an oppurtunity to tap into a market..even if to make after market implements for SOG multis.
I

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 07:31:42 PM
I was going to pick up one of those Beretta tools for my dad who's a huge Beretta collector.  I'm a little hesitant because I can't find who makes them.  Some of the Beretta branded stuff seems to be low quality chinese made items...
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 07:57:06 PM
who knows, maybe leatherman will start making some gun specific tools.

Offline joebw

Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 09:26:27 PM
Leatherman has a small start with the choke tube tool on the Vista.  I recall reading somewhere that Tim Leatherman is a bird hunter.

Joe

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 10:06:19 PM
I'd almost forgotten that Wenger had made some SAKs that included a sight tool for the Swiss service rifle,IIRC the Sig 559,and I think maybe another onboard gun specific tool.
I

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 05:39:40 PM
I've handled the Beretta tools. They are both made in China.  :( Quality is not what one expects from Beretta. The hammer tool is pretty unique, and seems to be built better than their plier tool.

The only other specialized "firearms" multitool that comes to mind is the Caspian Arms Pocketsmith tools. Link: http://www.caspianarms.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CAL&Category_Code=TPS

They have an array of pin punches and such, plus a unique set of plier jaws designed to remove the barrel nut on 1911-style semiauto pistols. The original Pocketsmith was really cheaply constructed.  :(  The Pocketsmith II is built much better.

* Caspian Pocketsmith II.jpg (Filesize: 67.01 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 08:38:23 PM
The caspian tool seems to be the better of the firearms specific tools.  I wish that someone would create aftermarket tools for the SOG before I attempt it myself.  I was looking at the wenger super tool (you know the one that you could carry as easily as a 2"x4".  It has a "pointer" looking device that if improved upon could function as a pistol cleaning rod.  What sparked my interest in this is when I took my .22's out for a date the other day.  I used about 5 seperate tools.  I used my multi to open a package of scope rings, and a few assorted screwdrivers and punches to do other things.  However a stuck case in one of my pistols rendered it inoperable due to the lack of a cleaning rod which I dont usually carry to the range.  A multitool with a few (3-4) gun specific implements would allow me to carry all of my range tools on my belt.   

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 12:48:45 AM
Quality is not what one expects from Beretta.

You obviously have never encountered one of their knives.  ::)

Much like other respectable firearms manufacturers they have lent their names to super cheap knives and tools in exchange for a dump truck filled with bills of random denominations.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 06:12:36 PM
I agree with you Def, some companies make unfortunately put their name on some really crappy stuff.  One of my favorite companies in the whole world, Ruger, has their knives made by Case. :)  They may not have a super duper tactical folder but then again, ruger is not a "tactical" gunmaker.  The knives they put their name on are as solid as their firearms and that is really Tough.   

Offline damota

Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 11:44:20 PM
There are the Gerber Weapon Cleaning Kits that are in the Goverment Sales part of their site

http://www.gerbergear.com/governmentsales.php?showall=1

Scroll down there are 4 different versions for different weapons.
They concist of a black MP600 needlenose pliers, Ultra Infinity LED torch and Otix cleaning gear for different fire arms made for law enforcement and the military.
Pouch is a bit big, not an all in one tool and it looks as though they are pricy.

Dave

« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 12:21:35 AM by damota »

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #14 on: July 07, 2007, 04:23:23 PM
Smith & Wesson have a series of chinese knives.  I own a boot knife which is pretty solid for being as cheap as it was.
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: July 07, 2007, 04:33:31 PM
S&W knives are owned by Taylor Cutlery, which is a US Marketing agency that has killed several good old US names, including Schrade.  Friends don;t let friends buy Smith & Wesson, but if you absolutely have to, stick with the fixed blades.  Less parts for the 5 year olds assembling them to screw up.

A former roommate of mine had to have the S&W SWAT knife (he thought SWAT teams were really cool and bought anything with SWAT on it) and the liner lock would actually move to the opposite side of the blade and get jammed between the tang and the liner.  Typical of this brand- I have seen quite a few like that.

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: July 07, 2007, 05:09:42 PM
Browning sold a tool produced by Kutmaster as part of a firearms maintenance kit a few years ago. It included choke wrenches, pin punches, a takedown cleaning rod, brushes, etc. The multitool was only one component of the entire kit, but it was a good one.

* Browning Model 400 kit.jpg (Filesize: 55.5 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007, 06:26:29 PM
S&W knives are owned by Taylor Cutlery, which is a US Marketing agency that has killed several good old US names, including Schrade.  Friends don;t let friends buy Smith & Wesson, but if you absolutely have to, stick with the fixed blades.  Less parts for the 5 year olds assembling them to screw up.

A former roommate of mine had to have the S&W SWAT knife (he thought SWAT teams were really cool and bought anything with SWAT on it) and the liner lock would actually move to the opposite side of the blade and get jammed between the tang and the liner.  Typical of this brand- I have seen quite a few like that.

Def

I was naieve at the time and wasn't really "into" the whole knife world when I ordered it.  Dumb me researched what I could legally carry here in RI/Mass and found out that a dagger was illegal...AFTER I got the knife.  Soon after that I started actually researching what knives were what, what to look into and what to disregard.  Live and learn I guess :twak:
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: July 07, 2007, 08:35:41 PM
Not to go too far off topic and into a whole "I hate S&W" rant, there's a thread over at KF from a year or two ago in which some poor bugger ordered a S&W folder, then while waiting for it to arrive, asked what people thought about it.  Many folks (myself included) upset the poor guy by telling him that it was a colossal hunk of monkey droppings.  Everyone talked about how bad they were, and this poor guy was pretty depressed.  Finally, the big day arrived and the knife showed up.  Out the box the knife was fantastic and gorgeous, and everything he'd hoped it was, and I told him I was glad to be proven wrong.  After all, a good knife is a good knife, regardless of what name is on it right?

A week later he updated the thread and mentioned that the darned thing just about fell apart in his hands, and after a week's use it looked like it had been in a war zone.  I felt terrible for the guy, but the nice thing about forums is it gives you the chance to ask before you buy!

Back on track, what are the Kutmasters like?  I always thought they were monkey droppings as well?

Def

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 07, 2007, 08:49:52 PM
The Kutmasters aren't bad at all really,they are a little clunky compared to other companies offerings.The knife blade on the one I own,is a bear to bring up to a good edge.Certainly no fragile feel to these solid brutes.
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: July 07, 2007, 08:51:50 PM
Thanks... while I am not above buying the odd cheapo, I rarely if ever go out of my way to pick one up.  No Kutmasters are available locally, but maybe I might tack one on to an order somewhere else to try out sometime.

Def

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #21 on: July 08, 2007, 04:08:53 PM
I will not usually buy junk.  Perhaps someday someone like leatherman will make a tool with the shooter in mind.  The kutmaster multi shooters tool looks really cool.  I have no experience with kutmaster but I have not heard any great things about them.  Maybe leatherman will make such a tool.  Victorinox would make a great shooters tool but I doubt it will ever happen.  Perhaps I will try to mod a SOG to fulfill my needs.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: July 08, 2007, 08:53:24 PM
Best to seperate that question about Kutmaster quality into two parts; quality of construction, and quality of design.

The construction of the Made in USA multitools is rock solid. The plier handle and jaw is a single piece of forged steel. The handle is formed from a heavier gage of sheet metal than even the old Leatherman tools were. The assembly is rather simple, not a lot to go wrong. The end of the handle has a hex bit driver. Spare bits are carried in the sheath.

However, the design of the Kutmaster tools are definitely dated. They haven't changed a thing in over ten years. A massive lug in the plier handle engages a a slot in the pivot of the knife blade, locking it open. (But only if you maintain pressure on the plier handle.) The file and other blades lock open the same way. All of the blades are heavy and massive, which can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending.

It's a whole lot less sophisticated than any tool currently offered by SOG or Gerber or Vic or L'man.

* Browning Model 400.jpg (Filesize: 59.54 KB)

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #23 on: July 11, 2007, 08:41:29 AM
I don't know if this was already discussed, but I came across a shooters tool called the MK16 Combo Tool from www.cjweapons.com

Looks decent, but geared towards rifles.

Offline supratentorial

Reply #24 on: July 11, 2007, 04:29:59 PM
Not to go too far off topic and into a whole "I hate S&W" rant...

The Smith & Wesson Tool Chest II actually has pretty darn good reviews on Amazon.com : http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B0000DD486/
5 out of 5 stars (7), 4 out of 5 stars (1), 3 out of 5 stars (1)

One guy even goes so far as to say "So in order This tool is #1 (so far), My SOG was #2 with the Leatherman a very very close 3rd, and the Gerber a not at all close 4th."

The design looks similar to the design of the Bear Jaws.  The Phillips driver doesn't look right but it has an integrated bit adapter.  Has anyone actually used this tool?

* toolchestII.jpg (Filesize: 23.23 KB)

* bearjaws.jpg (Filesize: 39.08 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: July 11, 2007, 11:34:43 PM
I don't know if this was already discussed, but I came across a shooters tool called the MK16 Combo Tool from www.cjweapons.com

Looks decent, but geared towards rifles.

Holy bankrolly! $125.00 seems pretty steep. That is one very unique looking tool though.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: July 11, 2007, 11:40:36 PM
The design looks similar to the design of the Bear Jaws.  The Phillips driver doesn't look right but it has an integrated bit adapter.  Has anyone actually used this tool?

I've got a S&W Tool Chest II. It is made in China. Quality is so-so; not as bad as the really junky junk, but not nearly as good as anything made in North America or Europe. You are correct, the phillips screwdriver is almost unusably bad. I can't imagine someone preferring this tool over a SOG.

Offline supratentorial

Reply #27 on: July 12, 2007, 12:09:01 AM
I've got a S&W Tool Chest II. It is made in China. Quality is so-so; not as bad as the really junky junk, but not nearly as good as anything made in North America or Europe. You are correct, the phillips screwdriver is almost unusably bad. I can't imagine someone preferring this tool over a SOG.

It's weird how the Amazon reviews for the S&W multi-tools (both the Tool Chest II and the 44 MAG tool) are overwhelmingly positive--maybe some of those reviews are written by the employees of Taylor Cutlery!  :P   

Are any of the parts (i.e. bit driver, scissors) worthy of transplantation into a better tool?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: July 12, 2007, 01:59:14 AM
It's weird how the Amazon reviews for the S&W multi-tools (both the Tool Chest II and the 44 MAG tool) are overwhelmingly positive--maybe some of those reviews are written by the employees of Taylor Cutlery!  :P   

Are any of the parts (i.e. bit driver, scissors) worthy of transplantation into a better tool?

Funny how you should suggest that about the Amazon reviews...I was about to say the same thing!  :D

And no, none of the parts are worth bothering with.  :P

I just went and grapped my Tool Chest II. I would like to downgrade the statement I made earlier regarding it's quality. This thing sucks.  :(

* S&W.jpg (Filesize: 77.33 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: July 12, 2007, 02:16:02 AM
That good huh?

Like any reseller, Amazon doesn't make any money when the review on their site says things like "This is really pretty bad- maybe you should do a search for Leatherman instead" so I am certain many of their reviews are "arranged."

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%