Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Shooters Tool

CQC-7 · 51 · 4907

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Re: Shooters Tool
Reply #30 on: July 12, 2007, 02:32:45 AM
No doubt about it.  Who in their right mind (business mind) would post a bad review.  Although, there are still some of us in the world that are honest.  I am being very honest when I say that S&W makes a good gun but they put their good name on really crappy knives and tools.  Not being a snob but you can tell that by the price.  A good multitool costs about $60 U.S. on average I'd say.  Other than a SAK or a Buck a good folding knife costs about $50.  You get what you pay for.  S&W does not make a cheap gun but their tools sure are cheap.     

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #31 on: July 12, 2007, 02:55:02 AM
I agree!! Why don't these marketing fools understand? When they put their good name on junky imported products, it degrades the public opinion about their good quality traditional products!

I see it mostly with the American firearms manufacturers. Winchester makes a few dollars by selling their name to someplace like Taylor Cutlery, who then etches it into a truckload of junk from China. People buy the China-Winchester junk, and then associate the crap quality with the name. Now they think that everything Winchester makes - even the traditional firearms - are also crap.

I wonder if they really come out ahead in the long run?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #32 on: July 12, 2007, 03:06:19 AM

I wonder if they really come out ahead in the long run?

If they didn't, they'd stop doing it...but it looks like they make tons of money off of cheap pocketknives sold at big box stores.. :P

Imagine if they actually put some effort into it and hooked up with Leatherman...they'd get the bix box store exposure, AND have a good product.
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #33 on: July 12, 2007, 03:31:45 AM
That's really the benefit of Multitool.org's independence, and why we always strive to show the good, the bad and the ugly of each and every tool reviewed.  No manufacturer is paying our bills, and we don't owe them a glowing review of a tool that doesn't deserve it. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #34 on: July 12, 2007, 06:34:57 AM
It's weird how the Amazon reviews for the S&W multi-tools (both the Tool Chest II and the 44 MAG tool)

.44 Mag tool?  Ooooh...

If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #35 on: July 12, 2007, 06:35:57 AM
I just read the description for the .44 Mag tool...

It's the only tool to have a diamond file???
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #36 on: July 12, 2007, 07:08:43 AM
You gotta like a man that loves the Redhawk ! If only I'd picked up Redhawks in .357 and .41 Magnums when they were still in production and easily available
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: July 12, 2007, 12:34:12 PM
Man I love wheelguns, but they never look right to me with a scope... just doesn't seem right!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline damota

Reply #38 on: July 12, 2007, 01:29:45 PM
Sorry to act like the devils advocate - if you are looking for a tool to do a specific job would the tool or item that comes the nearest to that specification be the one of choice (even more so if it is the only one). The cost of a proper tool would be less than the cost of the damage by using the wrong tools.
These are markets the multi tool makers are loosing out on. Who would remove a choke with a pair of pliers instead of a wrench and who in their right mind would push those pins out or remove screws with the drivers on a multi when most tend to slip. Proper engineered drivers are rarer than hens teeth on most makes of mutis thats why I use 1/4" bits.
Remembering back to when I owned shotguns (ah dreams) I would not have used any multi tool on any of the guns I owned. I bought the right tool for the job so I could sell the gun on if I needed not having to give it away because it had marks on it. Most of the guns I had did not needed many tools anyhow, just a punch a flat screw driver and a wrench as I said for the choke tubes. They could all be put into a multi, and if they ground that screw driver to a proper profile they could not then be excused for the sloppy(slippery) designs they now have.

Dave
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 02:52:13 PM by damota »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #39 on: July 12, 2007, 01:47:49 PM
Excellent points as well...

The whole point of the Victorinox Soldier model was that it was all a soldier needed to take down, reassemble and adjust his service rifle.

Def

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #40 on: July 12, 2007, 06:07:25 PM
Man I love wheelguns, but they never look right to me with a scope... just doesn't seem right!

Def

They don't look right with a scope?  Must be a Canadian thing... well, here ya go!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: July 12, 2007, 06:12:39 PM
Reminds me of a discussion I often have with US gun nuts.  They often look down on us for having to have our semis capped at ten rounds.  I usually point out that we don't need 17 rounds because we are better shots!  Maybe it's the same with the wheelguns?  We don't need no steenkin scopes....

Def

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #42 on: July 12, 2007, 06:17:25 PM
I never understood the whole high capacity magazine thing either.  The only place they are useful is at the range so I don't have to reload as often.  Other than that, I don't see myself getting into any shootouts any time soon...

I actually like revolvers with and without scopes.  I use the .44 for hunting, and the scope helps A LOT for that.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: July 12, 2007, 06:24:58 PM
.44 for hunting?  Those terrorist squirrels don't have a chance!   >:D

As a security speSmurfpillst I always laughed at guys who looked down on me for only having a ten round clip.  They obviously never read that very few armed conflicts (other than full scale military engagements of course) last beyond 5 rounds, and most are decided within the first two shots.  That's one of the reasons I actually prefer to work with revolvers nowadays and not semis.  If you only have one shot, you sure as hell don't want it to jam!  I know jamming is such a slim chance nowadays, and with a properly serviced piece, but the peace of mind is worth it to me.

And, just for the record, I also prefer under barrel lasers to scopes- but then I can't hit what I am shooting at with a pistol anyway!  I like them, but they are just a fancy impact weapon in my hands! I'm like the guy in the Superman cartoons that throws his gun after emptying the clip! :P

Def

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #44 on: July 12, 2007, 06:53:36 PM
It's funny.  Every pistol defense course I've ever taken tells you to take two shots, center of mass, if your life depends on it... then get the hell out of there.  What do I need those 15 other rounds for?

I definately agree with you on revolvers.  I'd recommend one for anyone.  They are simple and reliable, and are easier to shoot (in my opinion) than semi auto handguns.

I personally prefer a revolver for a self defense handgun for a couple of reasons.  Ease of use is one, and the other is that they are more intimidating (again, in my opinion).  If I'm ever in a position where I need to pull a gun, I want that person trying to kill me to see the shiny metal, see the bullets in the cylinder, realize what it is, and think twice about trying to hurt me.  I don't think you get that with some of the smaller auto's.  Some of them look like toys...

I'm not trying to start a debate here.  It's just my opinion :) 

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: July 12, 2007, 07:01:23 PM
............I'm not trying to start a debate here.  It's just my opinion :) 

Sounds good to me. (I live too close to you to argue...)  :-\

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #46 on: July 12, 2007, 07:14:14 PM
 The one place where I see high capacity mags having value,is with officers in rural areas where back up is miles,and minutes away.
     I was always a fan of the big bore revolvers,especially 45LC.I had a S&W Mod 25 that was a sweet handling and shooting gun,even with the factory target stocks.
I

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #47 on: July 12, 2007, 08:02:29 PM
The one place where I see high capacity mags having value,is with officers in rural areas where back up is miles,and minutes away.
     I was always a fan of the big bore revolvers,especially 45LC.I had a S&W Mod 25 that was a sweet handling and shooting gun,even with the factory target stocks.

Yeah, I'm not including Law Enforcement officers when I talk about hi-cap mags.  They probably have a much higher chance of ever needing the extra rounds.

I've never had a .45LC revolver.  It's always been on my "to buy" list, but I've never gotten one.  I think I'd prefer a single action cowboy gun in .45 :)

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #48 on: July 12, 2007, 09:09:51 PM
This is just my opinion, but officers in rural areas that are miles away from backup should have at the very least a shotgun in addition to their sidearm.  Ideally, they should have both a carbine (springfield socom 16) and a shotgun. 

About the hi-cap mags and law enforcment, I have an odd opinion.  Even though I think that a carbine is a good idea, If you cant solve your problem with a sidearm with 6-10 rounds you probally needed that shotgun or carbine anyway.  In a "combat situation" 6-10 rounds against 1 individual and he or she is not taking the big sleep, you either screwed up big time or you and your target are engaging one another from behind cover or from a good distance.  A situation where you should be running to get your carbine or shotgun (with slug ammo) and calling for backup, because throwing hot lead without aiming (if you have expended 10 rounds with a handgun at a person or person size target and have not made a hit despite your "training" believe it, you are not aiming) you are posing a greater saftey risk to others in the area than if you just let the threat run away into the woods.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #49 on: July 12, 2007, 10:13:47 PM
If you have time to run like hell to get a shotgun, you have time to reload a revolver!

There are very few, if any situations where a cop, anywhere along the line, rural areas or not, that they would expend that much lead.  If a cop gets into some kind of running gun battle with numerous gang bangers, then maybe he should have been more aware of the situation before going in, and had backup present.

I realize that poo happens, but in an ambush situation, chances are they wouldn't get more than one or two shots off, if even that, regardless of the type of gun, or number of rounds available.

Of course, always better to have more than less, but just don't expect to use that last round, or another mag unless the cameras are rolling!

Def

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #50 on: July 13, 2007, 03:06:30 AM
I agree that awareness is always the best tool in your bag.  Running battles with gang bangers looks cool on video but it seldom happens.  Studies confirm that most gunfights take place in the dark, at an arms length, and with very few shots fired.   Dont get me wrong, Hi cap mags are great but no matter how much lead you can send downrange without a reload, marksmanship is a valuable skill to have.  If you are a police officer and think you will be jumped by gang bangers take the shotgun or the carbine, dig in and call SWAT.  You's be better served by a long gun for the sake of accuracy.  As far as handguns go just look at the best combat handgun of all time, the 1911.  It has far less than 10 rounds yet it is still one of the preferred sidearms of the FBI's HRT, MEUSOC, LAPD SWAT and many other "battle tested" units.  The reason for that is accuracy and the abaility to deliver it quickly.   

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%