Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Grills, BBq's, Open fire pits, Dutch ovens, ......base camp cookin'

Pacu · 36 · 15995

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
For those of us that camp in one spot and are less than mobile (ex. not backpacking)..what's your favourite cooking apparatus?

mine is the Hibachi...http://thecoopercabin.blogspot.com/2010/02/lodge-hibachi-cast-iron-grill.html

although a smoker is a close second. Nothing like camping and scarfing down smoked hot links, venison, hamburgers and hot dogs.
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
I like all out door cooking i do it all year round even in the fireplace when the weather is real bad. I like cooking in my 55gal home made smoker the best. I cook halved chickens, tritips, Hams,prime rib, turkeys. We even do Family weddings. With five of these smokers we have cooked tritip and chicken for 200 hot and ready to eat all at once.

Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline Pacu

Im going to Mikes for dinner...who's with me? :D

Think i'm gonna buy a smoker for here...i live in an apartment complex. Someone swiped my little mini-charcoal grill  :rant:

The next grill is gonna be secured with a massive masterlock and logging chain. I'm gonna spraypaint my initials all over it.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Here's what I have/use:

At least I think that's the model.  It's a two burner Coleman stove that looks an awful lot like that one, if that's not exactly it!  I've always had a soft spot for Coleman stoves- when we used to go camping when I was a kid my father would do much of the cooking outside on his old Coleman stove, despite having a stove inside the trailer.

I think it's great- I keep it in the house for possible power outages, and I take it with me when I get the Jeep dirty in case we want to stop for lunch.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Here's what I have/use:

(Image removed from quote.)

At least I think that's the model.  It's a two burner Coleman stove that looks an awful lot like that one, if that's not exactly it!  I've always had a soft spot for Coleman stoves- when we used to go camping when I was a kid my father would do much of the cooking outside on his old Coleman stove, despite having a stove inside the trailer.

I think it's great- I keep it in the house for possible power outages, and I take it with me when I get the Jeep dirty in case we want to stop for lunch.

Def

This is an awesome setup.  My daughter has a similar set up that has one stovetop burner setup and a second one that convert to a standard gas grill.

Like this:

de Offline Shorty66

For those of you who like barbecue but want to travel light there is the "Grilliput":

It offers superb quality and easy set up in a lightwight and tiny package.
See here for more information.
T - `cause i like tea :)

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
I've been considering one of these - Notebook Grill
notebook1.jpg
* notebook1.jpg (Filesize: 82.2 KB)

us Offline Pacu

I've been considering one of these - Notebook Grill

i like the looks of that grill :o

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
It sure packs down nice. :D

us Offline django.cj

I brought my grill out on the ice for a nice pork butt that cooked while we fished.  It's basically a kettle-style charcoal grill, with the legs rotted off.  So I sit it in a steel washtub for support.  It works pretty well.  Here's the best picture of the setup.
It's also a nice source of heat when the wind picks up.
grill ice.jpg
* grill ice.jpg (Filesize: 113.29 KB)

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
I'm hungry...
[

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Seeing as I backpack a lot, I like my Soto OD-1R Micro Regulator stove

Don't bother with large car camping style grills, that's what an open fire is for! :D
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Weber only for me when it comes to grilling, BBQ and smoking.  I've tried other, more or less fancy stuff, and it just doesn't get any better.

At home and large camps, I use a Weber 22.5" one-touch gold loaded with a Smokenator 1000(best smoker I've ever used!).  For slightly smaller home/camping requirements, I use a Weber silver one-touch 18.5".

For small camps of 4 or fewer people, I use a Weber Go-Anywhere.

I have used a notebook grill and just a grate over a fire, but I prefer to have a lid on my grill for better temp control.

I never leave my old-skool (1960's) coleman two-burner stove at home, and I also always take a dutch oven along to cook dessert...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 05:29:07 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Weber only for me when it comes to grilling, BBQ and smoking.   I've tried other, more or less fancy stuff, and it just doesn't get any better.
+1  :tu:

I just got the Weber One Touch Gold A, (57CM) so I'm pretty much ready for Summer..  :D
I've used the Silver 47CM  last year, but I cant wait to make a good roast on this..

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
WOW.  That copper/brown color is SHARP!  We only have black, blue or green available here, AFAIK.  Also, our Gold models don't come with that nice lid holder.  Ours just have the hook on the bottom of the lid.

Look into the Smokenator.  It's a great setup.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 05:37:17 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Yes, it's copper.. My better half found it at a bargain price..  ;)
I'll look in to the Smokenator..  :tu:
Here's a better pic..:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Two years ago, we upgraded to this Weber:

Absolutely great.  Use it year around.  Did the Turkeys on Thanksgiving and Christmas on it.  For meat, we virtually never use the oven anymore.  The side burner is great for heating a side dish too.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Very nice Mr. Whippy.  :tu:

I've just decided I'm moving to Denmark so I can have that sweet Weber copper kettle.
- Terry

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Yay..  :cheers:
I have enough rooms, so just let me know what plane you're on.. ;) :D

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
For those of us that camp in one spot and are less than mobile (ex. not backpacking)..what's your favourite cooking apparatus?

mine is the Hibachi...http://thecoopercabin.blogspot.com/2010/02/lodge-hibachi-cast-iron-grill.html

although a smoker is a close second. Nothing like camping and scarfing down smoked hot links, venison, hamburgers and hot dogs.

how much does that bad boy weigh?
I

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team

how much does that bad boy weigh?

According to reviews, 33 lbs.  :o
- Terry

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Sausage cooking  grill helpers? Man I just had to share this photo I found. Too funny.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
That's bloody funny mate :rofl:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Pacu

it'd be funnier if they were turned and touching weiners :o :rofl:

it's like that clown pottery in mexico where the cactus grows in that region

:twak:  bad Pacu

us Offline django.cj

I'm certainly not dragging it camping or fishing, but I've started construction on a backyard smoker.  It's basically 2 55 gallon drums, connected by stovepipe and braces.  They sell handy kits that connect it all together.

It's called the Big Baby  :D

Here's what the final product should look like:
http://www.thesmokering.com/pits/metalpit/bigbaby/default.jsp

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
I used to use a Smokey Joe regularly, but after trying a Weber Go-Anywhere, I find that it's much better for packing away.
- Terry

us Offline Pacu

I laid down 30 bucks for my Weber at Home Depot. I wanted small portabe...and decent made. At that 30ish dollar price point it was the best made after searching around a bit.

Offline Jawbreaker

Got a smoky joe a few weeks back,for a few steaks or burgers,better to fire it up rather than than the bigger one....Does what the bigger webers do,on a smaller scale,can control the heat well,when you shut the vents after a quick cook you save a bunch of charcoal for the next time.I have a bigger pit with the offset firebox to be used if i need to cook for more than 4 or 5,but this thing can stretch a bag of charcoal and some wood chunks a long ways compared to my smokers fuel demand.A great buy for 30 bucks from target,i'll eat meat off a gas grill but prefer  cooking over good lump charcoal with some wood chips mixed in for flavor if given a choice..............

us Offline 82brutus

I have this one at home with the optional smoker box.
http://www.charbroil.com/ProductInfo/6-597-1880/American-Gourmet-Charcoal-Grill--800-Series.aspx

I can smoke 4 pork shoulders at a time, which gives me some to share and some to freeze to reheat at a later time or grill 4 t-bones, 8 burgers, a pack of hot dogs and some dinner rolls on the top rack.  Nothing better to me than a nice pork shoulder smoked about 10-12 hours.
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Grills, BBq's, Open fire pits, Dutch ovens, ......base camp cookin'

What???

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68